Paul Merson Predicts Newcastle vs Arsenal Result

The only time we get a little flummoxed with Paul Merson is whenever he predicts a Newcastle win.

There are two things about that – he very rarely does it and when he does predict us to win – we nearly always lose.

So it’s not a big shock that he takes his former club Arsenal (327 appearances, 78 goals) to win 2-1 at St. James’ Park on Saturday.

Paul Merson – predicts another Newcastle defeat – so what’s new?

Here’s what Paul has written about the game on Sky Sports and what he expects:

“Arsenal always give you a chance, as shown against Cardiff. That tells you everything.”

“However, Newcastle can’t be relied on to have a go against the big teams.”

“They won’t create a million chances against the Gunners and Arsenal will create plenty.”

“Newcastle will sit back and Arsenal will break them down at some point.”

Paul predicts: 1-2

The big chance for Newcastle in this game is the Arsenal defense looks weak.

We watched them beat Cardiff 3-2 in their last game and they let in two goals and didn’t look too tight at all at the back.

If Newcastle can play well in defense and take one or two of the chances we will we could come away with all 3 points.

That’s the hope and a win would be terrific.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Arsenal?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Will Rafa Benitez Leave Newcastle Next Summer?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Jib

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:23 PM

Cue reference to Merson’s sad alcohol issues
    Oh wait !!!
    Tsunki ain’t here any more

• Bigjim67

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:26 PM

Cheers Paul.

• Bigjim67

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:27 PM

Couldn’t resist it!

• Bigjim67

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:28 PM

Think we might just sneak our first win.

• Jib

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:28 PM

Jim
    😀

• Jib

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:31 PM

I certainly don’t fear Arse-anal at SJP
    Rotonda seems to think their big money
    strike force will make a difference

Alexis Sanchez is on £600k per week
    Yes folks £30M per annum
    Have you seen how ManU are doing ?

• Chancel My MBembaship

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:36 PM

I think if we get a little bit of luck and catch the Gunners on a bad day then we might take all three points. Really hope Cech starts in goal and not Leno.

• RobLeenio

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:38 PM

I don’t fear Arsenal at SJP at all – I voted for a win on Ed’s prediction above.

That said, I think all results are possible and I wouldn’t be surprised at a loss or a draw.

• toon22

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:38 PM

Ah our financial savior had helped us to get the best ballance sheet in world football

As spending wjat you make isnt the best way to run a club

Cant be wasting money on footballers when youve got shops to buy

Blithering idiot

Its never MAs fault

• Jib

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:39 PM

toon22
    Rise to the challenge
    Name a NUFC player you mong

• toon22

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:39 PM

As for the result i always think a win

Why not

Shame our owners not interested in competing in this league

• Chancel My MBembaship

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:40 PM

Also, I hope Torreira doesn’t get a start (even though he should). It’s a mystery to me why he’s always on the bench. He really makes the difference for them when he comes on. Hopefully we’ll be a goal or two ahead before he’s introduced:-)

• DubaiMicky

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:40 PM

@RobLeenio #8, not hedging your bets there are you?

• Jib

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:40 PM

give him a few seconds to check Wikipedia folks
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

• toon22

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:40 PM

Ahh a direct assault

How much does Bishop pay you ?

Its never MAs fault

• toon22

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:42 PM

Im not going to go allong with your bollocks

Your reviled about as much as your employer

Every penny…

• RobLeenio

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:43 PM

Micky, ha yes, it does seem that way…

What I meant was it’ll be competitive, could go either way, I think we can nick it.

• toon22

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:43 PM

Or are you going to claim youve been hacked again ?

It wasnt me …..

LoL

Bargain bin shill bought by our financial savior

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:44 PM

Right…just had a “disagreement” with my old lady (Yes, I’m an aging hippie) so I’ve come on here to vent, and be unreasonable and obnoxious. So…..a couple of phrases that tend to get on my moobs.

1. “End of”……Meaning…… “I’ve totally and brilliantly resolved this matter, so that anyone else submitting an opinion will be wasting their time and will just look silly. I’m great, me”.

2. “There, I’ve said it”………Meaning…. “I’m the only person on this blog who has the bravery to say such an outrageous thing, and look, I have just come right out with it”.

3. “It’s never MA’s fault”……………an admirable attempt to get something going, but it puts me in mind of Monica’s food critic in Friends who said “Tartlets…..tartlets….tartlets…tartlets…the word’s lost all meaning”.

There, I’ve said it, end of!

• RobLeenio

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:45 PM

toon22, how about this one – something you should be able to answer.

Who wears number 22 for the Toon?

• Jib

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:46 PM

Oh dear Tosun is married to toon22
    Time for a blog hug
    Come here Tosun honey – your pain is our pain

• Wayayman

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:47 PM

The PL need to restructure everything to give the national team a fighting chance -starting with changing the ‘homegrown’ definition to mean actually born in GB or eligible to play for one of the countries. None of these loopholes that meant Krul was classed as homegrown – that kept Forster out of the picture effectively.

Do that, and restrict the PL teams to name at least 2 players under 21in the match day squad with one starter each game. Having players like Loftus Cheek sitting on the bench if he’s lucky at Chelsea is borderline criminal. Their agents need a kick up the arse as well.

• Jib

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:48 PM

Whispers to toon22
    It’s DeAndre Yedlin son
    go for it !!!

• beermonkey

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:53 PM

jib @10

not a nice word that is it

• toon22

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:01 PM

Asking questions anyone can google

LoL

Actually some people here make it easy for me
    It’s so obvious pointing it out,the payed opinion
    It makes them an asset to me

Cheers

It’s never MAs fault,just ask Mr Bishop

• toon22

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:02 PM

Wonder what’s in those accounts he’s risking prison to hide ?

Our financial saviour

• Rotonda heights

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:03 PM

Jib

A mate gave me a spare ticket for the emirates recently and while the gooners are admittedly a work in progress, when PEA and Lacazette clicked and combined though the middle and on the flanks they were electric.

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:05 PM

Thanks Jib, it helps! 🙂

• RobLeenio

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:06 PM

As I mentioned yesterday, schools kick out at 15:20, Toon22 comes on the blog at 15:35ish

• Just a fan

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:08 PM

Who plays number 22 for the toon or should I say the mags made me think.to be honest I could hardly name any.maybe dummit at three.

• posada

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:12 PM

Back in the day you had real men and the sheep got worried.
    Real men like Frank Worthington, Supermac, Osgood, Channon, Ted McDougal etc.
    If they were not playing they would knock on the managers door and say right that’s it I want a transfer to some club that will play me.
    Then a club could go all season and only use 14/15 players.

Now you have the likes of RLC and Rashford who more often than not don’t start for their clubs.
    However, they are being paid a fortune not to play.
    If they did move to say Burnley or Huddersfield they would get first team games, but probably have to take a pay cut.

Some of these players are already millionaires a few times over by the age of 21, without having played.
    They are paid for their potential. A retainer if you like.

It can make you soft and remove any great incentive.

• Pitmatic

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:17 PM

That Ashley AGM pic is a classic. Have got to give him some kudos for the baggy jeans/white shirt combo. As someone alluded to in a tweet – he really doesn’t give a fcuk. Reminds me of my dad actually, and the late great Mark E. Smith, who rocked the same look for the last twenty years, and somehow made it look edgy.

• Online Guy

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:17 PM

If Rafa keeps saying he is happy it won’t be long before its being reported that he is complicit with Ashley’s penny pinching thrift keep us scrapping in the relegation zone year on year miserly way he runs our football club Newcastle United.

Complicit.

• Bobbybee

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:17 PM

Arsenal are not too clever at the back, as is common knowledge, so we, really need Jonjo back for this one.
    He’s not guaranteed to plat though, due to this niggling thigh injury he can’t seem to shake off. No doubt the medical staff will be working hard to get him fit and if he does play, I can see us sneaking a win.
    When Jonjo plays well, we play well. If he doesn’t play, Ki needs to step up and show what he can do. He’s got it, but we’ve only seen it once and that was a friendly against Augsberg, where he was spraying the ball around like a good un. He needs to earn his keep and Saturday sounds like a good time to start – if required.
    Schar played for Switzerland at the right side of a three at the back, which for the main looked like he was playing right back. Maybe he could play there if Yedders is injured or not ready after international duty? Got to be a better option than Manquillo imo.
    Given the choice, this would, be my team.

Dubravka.

Yedders/Schar Lascelles Fernandez Dummett

Jonjo/Ki Diame

Ritchie Longstaff Kenedy

Rondon

Longstaff night be a stretch, but he scored a good few for Blackpool there and the U23’s and given the options, he must be worth a shout.
    Muto not up to speed yet – so needs some pitch time on Saturday imo – and Perez simply doesn’t see what’s around him.
    People quick to point out that Mitro scored a couple during the international break, but so did Rondon. I think he’s going to be the surprise package of the season from what I’ve seen so far. He’ll score more for us this season than he did in any season for West Bro I reckon.

• Online Guy

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:22 PM

Any Shirebrook Shills about today ? Need to talk to at least one of you Knackers.

• toon22

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:31 PM

The personal attacks are a good sign

Its working and the rest of their bollocks isnt getting anywhere

They are obvious for all too see,the ordinary opinions of people who just ever so happen to like MA and all of his financial trickery

Who needs to spend on players,its a mugs game.

We will win the league with free transfers and loan deals next season
    Look how much money is wasted

Like anyone at any club thinks that way

• toon22

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:34 PM

Rafas Complicit.

Hehehehehe

Its never MAs fault

• Bobbybee

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:35 PM

Online guy, given that it’s highly unlikely Ashley will give any manager a decent fund, it has to be better having a WC manager getting the best out of what we have, than losing Rafa and watching somebody with less ability flounder and fail? Because we won’t get better than Rafa whilst Ashley’s still here. No decent manager will work for Ashley after the way they’ve seen him operate.
    Or who do you think we could get who could, do a better job? I presume you have someone in mind?

• toon22

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:36 PM

Just read the opinions of the people with the personal attacks

Every one of them think the sun shines out of MAs rear end

Just like every Toon fan