Upbeat Rafa Benitez – With Fans Supporting Us – We Can Get All 3 Points

Rafa Benitez was again upbeat at his press conference which started at 1:30pm today.

Jonjo Shelvey and Matt Ritchie are both fit and training and will be in the squad for tomorrow’s game against the Gunners at home.

Rafa has also said in his opinion – Jonjo should be in the England team.

Rafa has also been giving some advice to Jamaal Lascelles on fatherhood this week.

Jamaal has had a bit more sleep of late after his partner gave birth to their first baby.

And we assume he’s OK and ready to go for tomorrow’s game – no falling asleep in the penalty area tomorrow!

Rafa Benitez – at his press conference

Here’s what Rafa has said about the game tomorrow:

“I think confidence is high in terms of mentality, team spirit and the way we work. We know that we have to win, and with every game, we are closer.”

“We are playing against a very good team but we have to approach it with the belief that we can do what we did last year.”

“He (Unai Emery) likes to have his team organized. The way they were playing was very similar to when I was at Valencia and Liverpool – organized, pressing, passing the ball.”

“I have known him for a long, long time. He enjoys his job and I think he will do well.”

“Arsenal will try to keep the ball and pass the ball quick. They have players with ability – one vs. one, they can make the difference.”

“They can play a counter-attacking game and a possession game because they have enough quality.”

“With the fans pushing and supporting, we have a chance – for sure.”

“Sometimes you can have all of the tactics right and one player can make the difference.”

“Hopefully that player will be our player and we’ll be talking about three points for us.”

A healthy percentage of Newcastle fans think we can get our first win of the season tomorrow – that would be excellent!

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Arsenal?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Jib

Sep 14, 2018 at 2:31 PM

• Just a fan

Sep 14, 2018 at 2:32 PM

Jail for Ashley.
    And by the way you shouldn’t be accusing people willy nilly they may think you are being foolish.We wouldn’t want that would we?!

• Mag52

Sep 14, 2018 at 2:34 PM

Ashley Out.

• hibbit

Sep 14, 2018 at 2:35 PM

Ashley and his cronies Out.

• Mag52

Sep 14, 2018 at 2:36 PM

My team for Arsenal:

Dubravka
    Yedlin Lascelles Fernandez Dummett
    Shelvey Diame
    Murphy Perez Kenedy
    Joselu.
    HWTL.

• Bobbybee

Sep 14, 2018 at 2:39 PM

Mr Yes Sir Southgate – does he have the bottle to pick Shelvey? Would that not be going against his theory – or the FA’s more like – that he would ruin the dressing room atmosphere?
    Not sure which dressing room he’s been in with Shelvey to witness the disruption like, but it’s the only time I’ve heard of it. Can’t recall our lads saying how horrible it is to be in the same room as him.
    See how long his honeymoon period lasts if we lose against Croatia.

• Bobbybee

Sep 14, 2018 at 2:46 PM

If Shelvey’s fit he has to start. No point beating about the bush, without him we struggle badly. We’re a different and substantially better side with him playing well. He’s the heartbeat of the team.

• Jib

Sep 14, 2018 at 2:54 PM

Can someone please answer this.

Why does a full English breakfast
    taste better in a British bar in Spain
    than in any restaurant back home ?

• toon22

Sep 14, 2018 at 2:58 PM

Agreed
    Shelvey has to start

• DubaiMicky

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:06 PM

Jib, they don’t.

• Jib

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:08 PM

Just like this blog it’s all a matter of
    opinion I guess

• RobLeenio

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:10 PM

Ha, Bobby – nice avatar. I recognise it from somewhere but can’t put my finger on it. I seem to think it should have a Mexican accent, but don’t know why.

Agreed on Shelvey – how can Southgate know know he’d be disruptive when he’s never had a chance to step foot in the dressing room in recent years?

• Ibizatoon

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:13 PM

Jib…I think it’s the sunshine.

Perhaps perspective?

• Ibizatoon

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:14 PM

Rob…I really hope that’s something you’ve pulled out of thin air. Otherwise it wont be nearly as funny.

“I seem to think it should have a Mexican accent”

• RobLeenio

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:16 PM

Apparently we’re being linked with a swoop for Jack Butland.

It’s been said on here before and I’ve disagreed, but I really don’t see any need for another keeper.

• RobLeenio

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:18 PM

Lol Ibiza, I dunno, for some reason I can almost hear it speaking. It may be from a Cartoon from my youth or, as you say, I may be making it up completely.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:19 PM

Rob…Decent enough player, but agreed, not exactly a priority position. Mind, can’t put too much into “apparently”. How many linked swoops do we actually pull off?

• Jib

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:20 PM

• Ibizatoon

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:22 PM

Rob…He does look a little Mexican. If you squint 🙂

• Bobbybee

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:27 PM

Rob, just found it and it fit the name. Definitely doesn’t buzz Mexican though. 🙂
    Although Shelvey’s been out for a few games he’s the one player we have who deserves to go straight back into the side because he makes a huge difference. He can change a game with one pass and we’ve missed that lately.
    People were crying we didn’t attack enough v Chelsea when the truth is, we tried, but simply couldn’t string three passes together. That, combined with a shocking lack of movement, made attacking really difficult. Shelvey can remove the failed passes with just one accurate ball into the feet of another player in space. It’s not route one football either, there’s a huge difference between a long hoof upfield and a clever sixty yard pass.
    Arsenal are not great at the back and hopefully a couple of good balls from Shelvey can open them up.
    We have to play to our strengths and whether people like it or not, our strengths are a great defence and Shelvey’s killer balls over or through the defence.
    I also have more confidence in Rondon than I had in Gayle or Joselu.
    With Gayle I tend to think he believes the pundits who claim he can’t do it in the PL, when I actually believe he could – if only he would believe it.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:30 PM

• Bobbybee

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:31 PM

It’s a cartoon character. If it was Mexican it would surely have a huge hat and a droopy moustache. He’s also black and white, not yellow and black. Strangely enough, there’s a reason for that… 🙂

• Ibizatoon

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:35 PM

Bobby…Perhaps he moved to Mexico as a young child, so why not looking like a Mexican, did pick up the accent. Clearly still supports the Toon, just with higher pitched accent.

Jib…I have no words. Maybe one. Uncomfortable.

• Munster Mag

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:35 PM

Shelvey will play. Even against St pats the difference he made was remarkable. If he gets injured though during the season we are goosed. Thanks fat man

• Bobbybee

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:39 PM

Tbh, I think it’s a sad reflection on the blog when you have to provide a need to prevent other people sinking to the level of using your name for whatever agenda they have.

• Bobbybee

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:41 PM

Actually, I bred him from a grub right here in Northumberland. His mother rejected him and I had to spend sleepless nights drip feeding him nectar from a jar.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:49 PM

Bobby…That story would make an excellent flick book (no idea if that’s what they’re actually called…anyone?).

As for the first point, indeed. For how good this blog can be, it also does highlight a lot of sadness.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:51 PM

Answered my own question. Flick or flip books, apparently.

• RobLeenio

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:53 PM

Abandoned Mexican bees being hand-reared in Northumberland

It’s never Mike Ashley’s fault

• Rotonda heights

Sep 14, 2018 at 4:00 PM

It does seem bizarre if you’re trying to run a smear campaign against a well respected figure like Rafa that Bishop would call upon the likes of Wise and Keys who are universally despised and not just by NUFC fans. I really hope the cracks appearing now just bigger and bigger and became one massive sinkhole for this perpetually lying, greedy excuse of an owner

• DubaiMicky

Sep 14, 2018 at 4:01 PM

So…. will Rondon start?

I hope he does, but he’s not been in training so I’m guessing he won’t.

My team:-

Dubravka
    Yedlin Lascelles Fernandez Dummett
    Shelvey Diame
    Richie Perez Murphy
    Rondon

And I can see us winning if we play to our strengths.

• RobLeenio

Sep 14, 2018 at 4:02 PM

Rotonda, I think the last few weeks have seen a definite change in opinion towards Ashley in the media, in the Government and in the City.

Meanwhile, Rafa is just getting on with his job calmly and serenely like the gent he is.

I wonder who will emerge from all this with the most credit?

• Ibizatoon

Sep 14, 2018 at 4:04 PM

Rotonda…Get your point, but it’s not really that bizarre, who else would they be able to recruit other than that ilk?

Sometimes it’s not about how the message is received, but at least getting it out there. Who doesn’t love a good distraction?

• RobLeenio

Sep 14, 2018 at 4:14 PM

Micky, I don’t think Rondon will start – he’s flown from Central America this week, at the very least he’ll be jet-lagged.

I think we’ll see your team but with Joselu up front and Kenedy on the left wing, Muto and Rondon to come on in the 2nd half.

• A Pain in the Blog

Sep 14, 2018 at 4:32 PM

Nice avatar Bobby. Very apt.

• toon22

Sep 14, 2018 at 4:33 PM

A statement just released by our financial savior

It basically says its not his fault

Hes trying to chase away the shareholders

• DubaiMicky

Sep 14, 2018 at 4:36 PM

OK, cheers, final offer from me and RobLeenio…. Joint effort.

Dubravka
    Yedlin Lascelles Fernandez Dummett
    Shelvey Diame
    Richie Perez Kenedy
    Joselu

• Bobbybee

Sep 14, 2018 at 4:42 PM

APITB Aye, despite the friendly face he still carries a sting in his tail. 🙂
    Hope the mackems enjoy their trip to Burton tomorrow. They thought it hilarious that we should play them in the Championship. Nowhere near as funny as playing them in the First Division though…

• Bobbybee

Sep 14, 2018 at 5:01 PM

I get that Rondon is coming off the back of a long journey, but he’ll know if he’s fit for it or not. If he feels he can give a good 70 mins I would definitely start him.
    He’s on a bit of a roll. Led the line well against City and contributed a genuine assist with his nutmegging cross for Yedders to finish.
    Followed that with two international goals to boost his confidence even further.
    I imagine he’ll be raring to go.