Rafa Explains Why He’s Been Successful In Three Different Countries

Rafa Benitez has been interviewed in the LMA magazine, and he’s talked about managing at different clubs in different countries.

Rafa has managed Liverpool, Chelsea, and Newcastle in the Premier League winning a European Championship at each of the first two clubs.

Rafa also managed Valencia to great success in La Liga at the start of his management career and won the Europa League with them.

He also plied his trade in Italy with both Inter-Milan and Napoli.

Rafa also had a brief spell managing his hometown club Real Madrid in Spain.

Rafa Benitez with assistant Mauricio Pellegrino at Liverpool

Rafa has talked about how he has been successful in three different countries during his management career:

“It can be difficult when you first join a club, especially when you’ve previously managed a rival side.”

“I joined Chelsea, for example, having managed at Liverpool, with all the rivalry that exists between the two clubs.”

“You have to approach the new role as a professional, be yourself and not try to do different things that you wouldn’t normally do.”

“While it might take time, eventually people will realize that you are trying to do what’s best for the club.”

“It’s important to be approachable to the fans and it has been an advantage to me to have managed in England, Italy, and Spain.”

“I’ve learned about their cultures and people and have been able to adapt each time I’ve moved to a new club.”

“When I was the manager of Napoli, I walked around the city and spoke to the fans, which was fantastic.”

“I discovered how proud they are of their city. In Milan, with Inter, there was the intense competition with AC Milan.”

“Then in England, you have the rivalries between, say, Liverpool and Manchester United or Everton, Newcastle and Sunderland.”

“You have to understand what all of this means to the fans if you want a good relationship with them.”

When Rafa came to Newcastle he forged a great relationship with the fans and was keen to understand the history of the area.

Rafa wanted to make Newcastle successful and win trophies which is exactly what the fans wanted.

He hasn’t been backed financially by owner Mike Ashley so there is a decent chance this will be the last season he manages at Newcastle.

We hope that’s not the case, but something has to give with Mike Ashley (like sell the club) for Rafa to stay on Tyneside.

Ashley has to support Rafa a lot more in each transfer window if Rafa is to remain the Newcastle manager.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Leicester City?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• lesh

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:27 AM

Cue Catchy for some unbiased and objective comments?

• DubaiMicky

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:27 AM

“will improve training ground in time”.

So that’s never then, and I’m guessing NUFC’s thoughts on “improvement” are far, far behind Rafa’s thoughts on the same.

• lesh

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:30 AM

Dubai

‘While it might take time, eventually people will realize that you are trying to do what’s best for the club.”

And getting that message into Ashley’s greed-driven head’ll be like pi$$ing into the wind!

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:37 AM

Good morning Jail.

I see you left an open question, for “fans” like me. I do wish that it perhaps hadn’t followed your post to Munster, a post I personally found to be one of most (but not the most) saddest in this blogs history. Perhaps because it came from you and perhaps because I expected more from you.

Do I contribute to the NUFC membership scheme? Do I f***, Jail for Ashley.

So, come on then everyone, start totting up how much you’ve contributed over the years, I’m sure Jail is working out a points system to know whose opinion will be most valid, allowing for all sorts of factors. It’ll only be the super fans left in the end. Wait…isn’t that who the live matches are for?

Honestly Jail, have a word with yourself. I’ve never claimed to be any sort of super fan, I’m probably not even a very good fan (nor have I claimed to be that, either). But I am a fan and do have an opinion. Try listening or discarding it on merit, like I thought you used to.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:44 AM

Ibiza,
    Better from me, really. I thought it would be unfair to just single out catchy and Munster. I think it is fair that fans contribute to the club. What is your stance on not being a member, is it because of Mike Ashley? Where you a member when you were very pro Ashley?

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:57 AM

Jail…Is it? I don’t think it’s any better at all, as I think it’s a totally nonsense argument that’s tried to use to make one posters opinion more valid than another.

Both Catchy and Munster have repeatedly said in the past what they have contributed to the club as fans, have you never seen it?

No Jail, I was never a member before. Despite not having that big of a connection with the place (My Mum’s side of the family are from Newcastle but i was raised down south as a child and left the UK at 14, as I think you know), nor the surrounding or family to really push me into the sport, I still had an affinity with the club. It was this blog that actually started to create a greater bond between my club, it’s fans and I.

You know my history on the blog. I’d personally love to become a “better fan” for the club. I’d go to some games (not loads) and would happily contribute to the members club. I’d also like Ashley to do one so that can happen. Pretty sure you and I have discussed this before.

Care to know whether I’ve donated to anything else? Like Gallowgate flags? Time for fan action that I thought I could help with, even in a small way?

There. Happy with the answer. Was there actually any point to it? Does it change a single thing Jail? Much like the argument has never been as simple as all match going fans thinking one thing, not all overseas fans have the same opinion, so what factor does that have on the discussion? None.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:00 AM

Nice to know that you donated to Gallowgate flags Ibiza.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:00 AM

I wonder if Jesper did?

• Rotonda heights

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:06 AM

You do have to kind of wonder just how much you have to repeat things for people like Catchy and the laughingly called Toon legend to have anything sink in whatsoever.

The loon that is catchy rates pardew on the same lines as rafa. That’s where any question of the little twerp knowing a thing about football should stop. The mighty pardew: 1 x johnson painter trophy. Rafa: – http://www.rafabenitez.com/web/in/honours/12/

Imagine if Rafa had had cabaye, tiote, guti, colo, cisse, ben arfa, ba, krul all in their prime. Even the meanest of intelligence (Catchy) can see that Rafa has been totally shafted by calling Ashley out and having funds for any half decent players completely cut off for daring to speak out.

We were top scorers by a country mile in the champo with a champo team. In the PL still with a champo team, not so much and how anyone could get this group to 10th is beyond miraculous.

To those like Catchy, ie short sighted, poisonous, 2 faced bigots, egoists and narcissists I’d like to see things from your point of view but I can’t seem to get my head that far up my ass

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:06 AM

Jail…It makes me all warm inside to know you find that nice.

Why do you wonder if Jesper did?

Do you pay for membership? I know your stance softened with Rafa at the helm.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:06 AM

Perhaps being submerged in the Tyne would sort out who is and is not a proper fan?!

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:07 AM

Personally I think it does matter whether or not you contribute to the club. If your not happy with Mike Ashleys running of the club then the Gallowgate flags or wor flags as they’re now known is an excellent way of contributing. I just don’t think it’s fair that somebody who contributes absolutely foot all can be justified in slagging us off so much.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:09 AM

No Ibiza, I’m not a member but attend games regularly. As I said whenever I couldn’t attend regularly I was a member, paying towards the upkeep of the club. Mike Ashley has changed people’s minds on that but, 20 quid a year to wor flags is doing your bit.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:12 AM

Kenedy—–Muto—–Murphy
    Shelvey—–Diame—–Ki
    Dummett—Fernandez—Schar—Yedlin
    Dubravka

That team must be our best 11 at the moment (yes, even without Lascelles!… or Ritchie) I just wish we had a more technical LB

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:15 AM

Jail…I find it a nice way to contribute and not to take away from their efforts, but what does it actually contribute to the club? It doesn’t, which is why it’s the path I chose at that time (Being honest, I haven’t continued after Gallowgate flags came to an end….guess my time of opinion is up?).

These are different issues Jail. Are you saying if Jesper becomes a member, heck, pays back a few years in fees to the club, you’ll start listening to what he says and show him some respect? It has nothing to do with the discussion, you’ve just done what many others have tried to do in the past. I’d honestly say that you’ve defended the opposite of this argument before, but perhaps I’m wrong, or perhaps it just suited at the time as it was the match going fans, the ones who couldn’t walk away from the club for anything that you were at odds with at the time.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:15 AM

Lindisfarne,
    In the Championship we had cover in every position and some. We have gone back to the old days where just being a footballer qualified you in any position. Clarke can play as LB, did you see his crossing against Forest.

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:17 AM

Jail…Will you be going to more games this season, despite Rafa being shafted by Ashley, again? Or will your £20 for the flags keep your status in check?

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:18 AM

Ibiza,
    Putting money towards the flags contributes to the atmosphere inside the ground. My opinion stands. I think that someone who contributes zero, zilch nada, has got a nerve slating us so much.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:19 AM

Ibiza,
    I’ll still be going until a mass boycott has been planned and implemented.

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:20 AM

Jail… What’s different between now and when Ashley hasn’t supported managers in the past, with regards to giving Ashley your money? Only worthwhile if more people do it at once?

If I transfer over £20 on Jespers behalf, will you h

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:21 AM

…attempt an actual discussion with the bloke?

• hibbit

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:24 AM

Ibizatoon
    i think your up to no good or is it just a little mischief this morning ???????????

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:27 AM

Ibiza
    It’s futile unless it’s done en masse.

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:29 AM

hibbit…How so? I’m responding to this:

Jail for Ashley
    Sep 27, 2018 at 8:31 PM
    For the record Munster, catchy et al. When i lived in Sydney for five years 99/04 Which is nearly 11k miles away , I came home every August and planned my dates round two home games and was a member of the club. What have you done to deserve to voice your options so much?

Jail for Ashley
    Sep 27, 2018 at 8:50 PM
    Given the controversy about Ashleys reign could give many the excuse not to contribute but do Geordie Two, chicousa and all the other expat subscribe to our membership scheme like I did when I couldn’t attend games regularly, does RobLeenio and Ibiza?

Nothing more than being completely blown away at that coming from Jail. I genuinely don’t get what he’s trying to achieve. He can’t believe that paying £20p.a towards a fan group making flags decides a debate on this blog or give someone the right to have an opinion? I thought they came from having a brain.

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:37 AM

Jail…Having principles is never futile. Being a hypocrite would be more of a concern to me.

As for the effectiveness of protests, for sure, en masse is the way to go. Will any attempts be better than in the past? Who knows. From reading on here, it would seem that a fair few are still unwilling, or don’t believe it’s the best course of action.

What happens then when you stop going and Mike just drops the day ticket prices again? This is what happened before, no? There are many die hards out there, still not going to games, as they said they wouldn’t.

For what it’s worth Jail, I don’t hold it against you. You’re a fan of the club you love, just like the rest of us, doing what you can or feel you should. It never ends well when we start trying to put levels to our support to win arguments.

• Moonraker15

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:40 AM

The idiot Catchy rates Pardew better than Rafa! It’s very embarrassing if he considers himself a fan, as most toon fans are knowledgable. It’s credit to Ed’s all-inclusive blog that he hasn’t been excluded!

• Lindisfarne

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:41 AM

Whilst i was not to concerned about the lack of cover at fullback due, in part to Clarke being able to play LB. But it is now even more apparent that we need a player with more ability.

• toon22

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:42 AM

As ive said before

How many time have you been to the match nad heard anything like the rubbish you read here about Rafa,and his tactics
    Or in the pub before or afterwards ?
    What about at work?

As the only place ive ever come across it is online,in blogs like this

Wonder who else uses blogs like this and would love the fans to turn on Rafa

Answers to KBA,or maybe Justine Barnes

• toon22

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:43 AM

If you do claim to go to the match and stick it to Rafa all day long,how many teeth you got left ?

• toon22

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:44 AM

Its never MAs fault

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:47 AM

toon22…I’ve been off the blog and whilst I don’t disagree with the message, is it something you post against those supporting Ashley / criticising Rafa, or just post whenever you’re on?

It’s just that I can’t see who is criticising Rafa in the slightest at present.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:47 AM

Ibiza,
    Are you calling me a hypocrite?

• Reilly

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:48 AM

The Chronicle say that when it comes to signings in the next window, Mike Ashley ‘will offer Benitez limited funds for transfers in January again’.

If true adios Rafa

• hibbit

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:50 AM

its only the faceless keyboard warriors on on here that are calling for Rafa’s head
    none of them would have the balls to say it in or a round the ground or anywhere around the city for that matter

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:54 AM

Jail….I didn’t, but you could read that.

Why are you planning to still go when Ashley is doing what he always does? The same things that made you say you wouldn’t support his running of NUFC? Is it to make your seat count when / if a protest comes along? Have you guaranteed the seat to make sure the plan is effective?

I think you’d be better served reading the last part of my post Jail. I don’t hold anything against you for choosing to do what is best for you and wouldn’t use it to try and win my argument. Oh wait 🙂

Reilly…Shocker! TBF, of course it’ll be limited. It’s what that limit is that Rafa will care about. I doubt it’ll be enough.

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:58 AM

Hibbit…Why do you think I’m up to no good? You’ve said it, can you clarify the comment?

• Reilly

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:59 AM

The Chronicle saying that Mike Ashley is ‘concerned that investing too heavily in the youth team is risky as there are no guaranteed results of unearthing homegrown talent.’

Sep 28, 2018 at 11:02 AM

Can someone please explain to the idiot the risks of of not investing enough into the team.

Then that if he doesn’t want to do that, then the less expensive way is with the youth teams.

I thought that was the blueprint that HE had wanted?

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 28, 2018 at 11:03 AM

Got to laugh at that comment about the academy from Ashley’s minions!

No plans at all on how to improve the quality of the playing staff every year then ?!

Personally I think the way to go would be the Dortmund, Atletico , Ajax model which is combination of youth development and also poaching ready made youngsters from other teams and dropping them into the first team but for that to work you also need to be allowed to sign senior pros to bring them on………

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 28, 2018 at 11:05 AM

Ibiza,
    Yes you could read that. There are probably 50K people that want rid of Ashley, they’d all be hypocrites too.