Rafa Wants To Stay At Newcastle – Even If Ashley Remains The Owner

The Chronicle is reporting today that Lee Charnley and Rafa Benitez had positive talks this week about Rafa potentially staying on at Newcastle past his current contract which ends next June.

And Rafa made a pointed reference to Kevin Keegan in his press conference yesterday and indicated that he hoped he could be as successful as Kevin Keegan was as the Newcastle manager.

Rafa seems a big fan of Keegan as a footballer and as a manager.

Kevin didn’t win anything at Newcastle and Rafa will want to do that but Kevin’s period as manager at the club in the 1990s brought new fans across the world to the way Newcastle played some exciting attacking football.

Rafa Benitez – wants to stay at Newcastle

Here’s what Rafa said about Kevin Keegan yesterday

“Keegan was great here and I would like to do as well as he did here.”

“He was amazing as a player, as a manager and everything.”

“But I am so focused on my team that I do not have time to read what is going on.”

“If it’s a good book, I will read it.”

And it looks like the transfer meeting touted for this week will take place today.

And it will probably be after the home game at Lassiter City today and that’s one reason why Mike Ashley could be attending the game today.

Rafa is happy to live in Newcastle and commute the fairly short distance back to his family home in the Wirral, Cheshire – which he’s now been doing for over two years.

That doesn’t seem to be a problem and it’s a lot better than having to travel back from places like Napoli, Madrid, and Milan which he’s done in the past.

Rafa agreed to a number of things in the contract offered to him last summer – including the wages which are thought to be around £6M/year.

But he still needs guarantees on more money being available in the transfer windows and he wants to transform the current Youth and U23 setups.

Both squads are not doing well with their results this season and the Peter Beardsley situation still has to be sorted out by the club.

And Rafa still wants improvements overall to the training facilities at Benton.

There are still things that Ashley must give to Rafa if he is to stay on Tyneside.

What seems clear is that Rafa is more than willing to stay at Newcastle – even if Mike Ashley is still at the club.

His positive statements about Mike Ashley coming to games shows that he is willing to continue at Newcastle United even if Ashley is still the owner.

This is what Rafa said at his press conference yesterday:

“If the owner wants to be around, that is positive, it has to be positive.”

“I don’t see any problem with that because it means that he cares and is supporting the team.”

“Hopefully that will be the case in the next weeks and months.”

To get back to earth a little from this potentially good news on Rafa is that Newcastle have made a very poor start to the season.

And now we have Paul Dummett and Federico Fernandez out of the team for today’s game at home to Leicester City.

We really need a win today, although fans are not too confident of a good result.

A win today and Rafa maybe moving closer to a long-term stay at the club would raise the spirits of everybody connected to the club.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Leicester City?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:07 AM

Lip service I’m afraid, it would be disastrous to say he’s leaving at the end. Ashley doesn’t look like budging and Rafa won’t sign a deal that allows him to be continually shafted.

• the white tino

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:11 AM

Rafa out brigade will be up in arms if this is true cue catch less and jiblet!!!!

• Our Toon

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:11 AM

Jail

I just think it’s the sort of thing that gets said on a school playground, you are entitled to your opinion but this is a worldwide blog, we should welcome as many toon supporters from around the world no matter what they contribute financially.

Less money Ashley gets the better though in my opinion, I stopped going again because I’m sick of Ashley and want him out, I’ve even stopped my membership. He doesn’t deserve my money as it’s not put back into the club sufficiently so the less members the better

• Our Toon

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:12 AM

If Ashley backs rafa then I have no issues with this, I just can’t see him staying though as the lies from those above rafa will continue

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:13 AM

I wonder if the fat man will be at the game.

• crawfordm

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:16 AM

Why would Rafa want to stay. Its depressing for the fans and huge wages or not it must be bad for Benitez as well. Why stay when all we have is lies, poor investment and a poisenous environment around the club.
    One could only wish Ashley will spend on players and facilities – but we all know the answer to that !

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:17 AM

Our Toon,
    FFS, Munster is making out that I’ve got something against non English based fans, not only is it untrue but bang out of order as an accusation. If you don’t want to contribute because of Mike Ashley that’s fair enough. But I do think that worldwide fans should contribute to the club. Ibiza said he donated to Gallowgate flags, that helps the atmosphere, imo knowing you’ve helped out would make you feel closer to the club.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:18 AM

crawfordm,
    It’s sad to see him being treat like that 6M a year or not.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:18 AM

Bayern Munich are keen to sign Marseille and France winger Florian Thauvin, 25, but will have to pay 80m euros (£71.3m) for the former Newcastle player.

I doubt Penfold got a follow on fee.

• Jib

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:25 AM

Jail for Ashley
    “So having no interest in a particular sport makes you a dickhead”

Nope not at all

Not being able to tell between 13 or 15 players on the pitch does though

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:28 AM

I never counted the players Jiblets.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:29 AM

I didn’t look as many as fifteen last night and I know Falcons play union, is that right Jibbles.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:30 AM

Is rugby a one sided game?!

• kimbo

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:31 AM

This news means I will get more fun watching paint dry next season. I don’t want to watch 0 -0 draws.
    The best we can hope for today is 0- 0.
    What a way to look forward to the match.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:32 AM

Lindisfarne,
    No there was two teams playing last night and it was pretty even. I think Newcastle seemed to have more of the ball and were winning 22-13 at one stage, If I remember correctly.

• DubaiMicky

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:33 AM

I hope fatty isn’t at the game today, cos the hate and bile from the supporters could make him go into the transfer meeting with a “Screw them” attitude.

• Jib

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:33 AM

Northern Echo
    Benitez said: “In football you have short memories in general.
    The fans, they have to realise that we were in the Championship;
    we were in the Premier League, we were relegated to the Championship,
    and then we went back to the Premier League.
    Some of the players that are not here now, they could still be here,
    and they were very, very important players.”

Not according to Jail for Ashley

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:36 AM

Townsend would have Jib, Sissoko and Jaanmatt would have definitely gone and not sure about Wijnaldum.

• geordiesteve520

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:38 AM

Jail, I am not sure even he would risk the vitriolic reaction of attending a home game.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:42 AM

Jail…what your opinion is on this matter is of no importance pal…

…it’s just your opinion…one you’re perfectly untitled to but honestly…who cares?

• The next Mike Williamson

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:43 AM

If Thauvin can perform in a bigger league like the Bundesliga then his price will go beyond £100m. It’s a big IF though. But he looks like he could be one of the best and most exciting wingers in the world under 25. Mitrovic looks like the best target man/ big man striker in the world under 25 too. How much will Fulham sell him for next season? Credit has to go to Carr for finding them both, and credit to the wally for persisting with Gouffran. Newcastle rarely seem willing to give a young player a run of 10-20 games to get up to speed. Imagine we had Benitez’s solid defensive platform with Thauvin, Mitrovic, Ben Arfa giving a licence to destroy teams and the other 7 sitting back. 7 defensive players is more than enough to allow three off defensive duties.

• dig-n-dig22

Sep 29, 2018 at 10:13 AM

Jail

You must have a short selective memory. I believe it was only yesterday that you were wishing Catchy were dead. You are quick to pounce on other people posting unsavoury derogatory remarks on this site, surely that makes you a hypocrite!