Man Of The Match Poll – So Close Between These Two Players

Martin Dubravka had an excellent game on Saturday for Newcastle.

So did Yoshinori Muto – who was making his first start for the club.

And the Japanese International celebrated that start with a terrific goal after just 10 minutes to put Newcastle 2-0 up.

Kenedy had scored a goal with that great left foot of his three minutes earlier, after being put through by Perez.

And it’s Muto who with a late surge of votes has just pipped goalkeeper Martin Dubravka as our Man of the Match for Saturday.

Dubravka had another terrific game and he seems to be getting better and better after picking up from where he left off last season.

Yoshinori Muto scores his first goal for Newcastle

And Muto worked his socks off once again for Newcastle and was also appreciative of the fans’ support as he put this tweet out after the game.

Newcastle were superb for the first hour or so on Saturday and it was so cruel we took nothing out of the game.

But that’s life at times – and that’s football.

We will do a lot better before this year comes to a close.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Manchester United?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• posada

Oct 8, 2018 at 9:54 AM

Charlie
    Re their second goal. like you I thought off side.
    However, I have looked at footage on u tube. Have to say they were just played on side by I think Diame. He was lagging behind the rest of our defenders by a metre or so.

The lino was not in line though and he could well have given it. I think he would have given it if it had been us scoring it at the other end. Off side that is.

These officials are so predictable. If the underdog do the unthinkable and look like they might win they seem to freeze and think this is wrong it should go to script.

That Anthony Taylor is a Knacker. For our penna shout the Man U player could have caught it with both hands and sat on the ball. He would not have seen it.
    I can appreciate he is looking for fouls in the box, but surely at least one official has to follow the ball.
    ******************************
    Sorry, I have re-posted this. However, I do think that Anthony Taylor is a complete Knacker when it comes to reffing. He should not be allowed to ref Manchester teams. Even if he does support a none league side it allows the accusation to be made that he is biased. Even if he is not the very fact that a doubt can be raised is a problem. It undermines the intergrity of the process. Being fair is not good enough. It also has to be seen to be fair.
    It’s like me reffing at the top level. I am able to do Newcastle games if I say I support Blyth Spartans.
    Horlics.

• posada

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:07 AM

Jib

Oct 8, 2018 at 8:43 AM

Posada old chap
    you must learn to read
    more posts
    (I know it hurts your head but try)
    Jail made the same (shite) point as you
    I replied

Jib
    Oct 7, 2018 at 8:07 PM
    Jail
    Your post supported my contention
    Pardew took over WBA in Nov 2017
    By Feb 2018 when the cab was pinched
    in Barcelona he’d been sussed as a
    gobshite by
    Gareth Barry, Jonny Evans, Jake Livermore
    and Boaz Myhill
    **************************************
    Jib. You know nowt and don’t have a clue. Common knowledge on this blog.
    Jail and I make a valid point.
    Someone who visits Titty Bars when away on club business does not set a good example.
    It does not matter how long he has been at the club.

• Geordie-john

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:09 AM

posada comment #1
    The Ref Anthony Taylor according to Mick Martin and Micky Quinn grew up from 6 miles away from Old Trafford, He now lives just over the border in Chester or Cheshire ( Not sure which one ) In my opinion he has a hell of a chance to be a Man U supporter !
    Who the hell chose him to ref that game ? I thought the ref had a shocker especially the Ashley Young incident which was a stone wall penalty ! Now we know why ! How come the FA can allow that ?

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:13 AM

I wonder how long the Fulham owners, after spending over a 100M pounds will enjoy watching their team go for it from the off solely playing to their 22M pound hit man’s strengths.

• posada

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:16 AM

GJ
    I don’t know mate. I take it Micky Quinn is having a go at him on Talk Sport.
    Good. These refs need to know that if they make stupid decisions there is a consequence. That’s why Sir Alex always gave them stick. He knew he could not change a decision, but he was making it clear to those who reffed his team in the future. Mess up and we will make an issue of it.
    We on the other hand simply have to go with – ah well these things happen.

MOD pointed out he was not looking at the wall. One of the officials should have been.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:21 AM

posada,
    Head butting opposition players sounds like the actions of a stern disciplinarian. Is that new manager bounce a trait he carries everywhere anyway. It happened at Palace after Colin W@nker, the Lpool game for us was the players doing it for Hoots according to Joey Barton, it certainly didn’t work at WBA.

• Geordie-john

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:23 AM

posada comment # 5
    Yep Quinny gave it his all as he always does when talking about the Toon. Exactly my thoughts about the officials. OK the Ref was probably trying to make out the amount on the cheque he was given LOL but one of the other so called officials should have seen it.
    I can’t remember the last time we got awarded a penalty at Old Trafford. Probably never !

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:28 AM

Also
    One of our problems is we do not complain enough and get in the refs face like a lot of teams. Shelvey response was to hold his arms out mouth something-or maybe Shelvey thought if I complain the ref will book me
    To rub salt in the wounds he give a bloody goal kick.
    Was he the ref when we played Wigan s few years ago when the ginger tw*t chopped one of our players in two
    Wonder if he has reffed any Man Utd v Liverpool/Everton games

• Ron Knee

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:34 AM

Mahrez’s late miss at Anfield means he has failed to score five of his last eight Premier League penalties – he has not scored one since the Foxes’ 2-2 draw with Middlesbrough in November 2016. (BBC)

Strange choice then.

• toon22

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:37 AM

Maybe we could have a wip around for some players

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:37 AM

Ron Knee,
    I couldn’t believe it when I heard that stat, if they were beating Cardiff 4-0 then let him have another go. If they lose that title over two points 😮

• Ron Knee

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:39 AM

Jail

It puts Kenedy’s miss into perspective.

• Lindisfarne

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:39 AM

I always think that if your relying on referee decisions, you are a hiding to nothing. However there was clearly a deflection on the free kick and the linesman should have spottedthe free kick, even if he was stood on the halfway line.

• Lindisfarne

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:40 AM

#sootted the handball

• hibbit

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:40 AM

is that another world class manager making bad choices

• Lindisfarne

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:41 AM

#spotted!

• hibbit

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:43 AM

if it wasn’t a penalty it was clearly a corner they gave a goal kick !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:45 AM

Ron,
    If we go down with a point or two in it then we fully deserve it, well Ashley does anyway.

• dig-n-dig22

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:47 AM

Jail 4

I am sure that the Fulham manager will figure out the problem a lot quicker than our world class manager who is currently into his 2nd season and we are placed 2nd bottom in the league, roughly where we were this time last season and below Fulham by the way.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:49 AM

dig n dig,
    Just like he did last season when finishing above ten other teams that spent more, we’ll see!

• Ron Knee

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:50 AM

Jail

Bare Minimum is the Ashley way – until it all goes pear-shaped again.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:05 AM

Ron,
    I don’t see how spending again in January is going to get Rafa onside. It’s the same old same old, why put us through all this every bloody season. It looks like he’s stripping us bare this time round mind and Rafa is unwittingly helping him 🙁

• hibbit

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:06 AM

dig-n-dig22

taking us out of the scenario

Fulham have no plan B its all in with Mitro and if that doesn’t work there well and truly F***** as Saturdays result shows.

also murmuring of unrest in the dressing room of his lack of team play looking like a very difficult time ahead for Fulham and there manager

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:07 AM

A lot of people giving out about Atsu recently and I have to say I’m very surprised about his decline. I was expecting great things this season from him after his surgery in the summer to correct the niggling knee he had and he was another that kicked off his pre season early for his rehabilitation after surgery, along with Murphy who also came back for pre season early.

Very disappointed with Atsu so far. Very frustrating as you know there is a player in there and I just feel frustrated when he makes bad decisions or has a bad touch as it’s becoming common place for him this season.

I’m not as worried as I was after the Leicester match as the performance on Saturday was an improvement of late. The next 4 games are far from easy with Watford (excluding the Saturday result) and Bournemouth have been in very good form so far this season. Pererya has been a revelation for Watford since returning from injury… A real all action game changer who is going under the radar in my opinion… He should be at a top european club, not Watford IMO, they’re lucky to have a player of that class.

• Ron Knee

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:09 AM

Jail

Always a load of good – and cheap – players available in the January window!

• RobLeenio

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:17 AM

Lascelles, I think we’ll cause trouble for the likes of Watford and Bournemouth who have been scoring freely but have done so against teams that give them space. We’re now at the point where we were last season where we can deny space, keep it tight but still score goals and I think that will be tough for teams outside the top six to cope with.

I think there are a bunch of positives to take out of this weekend, we should feel confident about the next group of matches.

Time will tell how well we do in reality, of course.

• RobLeenio

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:21 AM

Jib from earlier re your acceptance of a greater level of parsimony compared to the top 6. I think that would be fair enough and I do think Rafa would agree.

What he does need is to at least be kept informed as to what budget is available so he can plan out how to spend, where to prioritise and how much he will need to raise from player sales.

The situation in the Summer was just a farce. How can you plan your purchases when you don’t know how much you can spend?

• catchy in norway

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:24 AM

Hibbit

Whats Rafas plan B

infact whats his plan A..
    world class manager

• catchy in norway

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:25 AM

Mon To Fri,, the apologists are out n force in this place

• RobLeenio

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:26 AM

catchy, do you stand by your comment of Steve McLaren being by far a better manager than Rafa?

• catchy in norway

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:28 AM

The first chunk of games Rafa went ultra defensive as it was more effective to do so. The next group out games he’ll look to attack more. I think yesterday saw the transition and he’ll be working on that over the international break.¨¨

what do you think guys

• catchy in norway

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:29 AM

rob

cannot argue with results. at what stage do you call time on him.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:32 AM

I think Murphy has the goods to be a proper first choice Newcastle player in this league, certainly, he has the skill, pace, athleticism, work rate and attitude, but doesn’t quite have the self-belief yet. He’s a bright lad, not ego-driven, needs time to build the necessary confidence I think. It’s hard to make it at Newcastle, but I believe he’ll come good. Atsu has a bit less about him despite also having qualities, and I think won’t figure prominently and will be sold in the close season if we stay up. He has the same problem with self-belief, but probably doesn’t quite have the tools to succeed in this very fast, robust, high-quality league.

• RobLeenio

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:36 AM

catchy, my comment shows some thought and an attempt to analyse what we’ve been up to, how the team has been developing, how it may continue to develop in the coming matches

Yours shows a complete lack of understanding of the game of football.

You’re right about not being able to argue with results, so once more I’ll suggest we look back at them around Christmas when we’ve had a consistent run of matches against teams who are not filled with global megastars and see how we’re doing then.

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:37 AM

Catchy

It’s not apologists, it realists. Most fans know that Rafa will give the side we have an extra 10%. There is more to managing a club with the woes we have than just tactic and set up training. Try to see further than the nose on your face. How many managers have we had in the last 11 years that have stood up to Ashley, said it as it is and kept the club from tearing itself up from the inside out? Yip… You got it… None. With the owner we have there is more to managing this club than training them and selecting an 18 man squad for match days.

Just my 2 pence worth, I’m not going to be ignorant with you but I would appreciate if you just respect my views and not create an argument I have no interest in engaging in.

Rob

Very true, we should still be competitive against Watford and Bournemouth, Im just wary of the impact of our polar opposite starts to the season against these confident sides. We shouldn’t be ‘expexting’ to win these games is the message is I’m trying to portray!

• Reilly

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:37 AM

You really are bitter that rafa replaced the wolly.all you do is look(make-up) for negatives to use against rafa.How about look for some positves to balance your posts out.

• RobLeenio

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:41 AM

Lascelles “We shouldn’t be ‘expexting’ to win these games”

Absolutely 100% agree, but we should be expecting to win some of them. That will in turn give confidence for the following games, and that’s where we start finding some form.

At least I hope so, anyway
    🙁

• Rotonda heights

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:44 AM

t- – t alert. catchy must have been hating it when our 54m team were 2-0 up away against a 400m team. we wouldn’t have had to hear from him for 2 weeks. best hour’s play for a long time but no credit given – amazing. bigotry and blind hatred do blur the lines when making any rational judgement.

on another tact it’s ironic how carr earmarked lacazette and p.e.a when they relatively cheap, ie 15m and 20m respectively but the fat lad didn’t want to gamble.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 8, 2018 at 12:04 PM

What with the wave of optimism and feel good factor that came with Rafa’s arrival I think some people have forgotten how utterly sad the state of affairs were before his arrival.
    The apologists are out in force Mon to Fri, ha ha. It’s because this place is taken over by a bunch of spitting snarling juveniles who are posting so much bike they can’t possibly be even watching the match.

• Mag :P

Oct 8, 2018 at 12:06 PM

Catchy is such a bore.

He was like this with Pardew and because he was correct back then that makes him 100% correct now.

The only similarity is the defensive football.

One is pretty much forced to play that way with the lack of money spent and the teams that we have faced thus far.

One had a vast array of full internationals (that were actually good) at his disposal but couldn’t get results, although we got some big defeats and the worst record over a calendar year that I have seen.

No guess which one is which.