Newcastle In Danger Of Losing Another Top Young Player

We never quite understood why Rafa Benitez wouldn’t allow 21-year-old Freddie Woodman to go out on loan for this season.

Freddie has been capped 6 times at the England U21, and he was in demand.

We have three senior goalkeepers at the club – Martin Dubravka, Karl Darlow and Rob Elliot – and all are experienced goalkeepers, so Newcastle are well covered in case of injuries.

Freddie was on loan at Aberdeen earlier this year but didn’t play all the games and was on the bench near the end of his loan spell.

Freddie Woodman – top young England U21 goalkeeper

Woodman apparently had the chance to sign for Oxford on loan, and Charlton Athletic were also interested in taking him this season.

Freddie is not happy with the situation at Newcastle, and he was desperate to go out to play first team games rather than rely on playing for the U23 side.

This is what Woodman has told the Chronicle today:

“It’s competitive but I am training really hard.”

“I am working really well with the goalkeeper coach and the other goalkeepers.”

“I am trying to keep my standards high.”

“January is around the corner and I have to be prepared for it when it comes.”

“I’ve always said I enjoy playing football so whatever level it is, I am going to enjoy it.

“I don’t have to play for the U23s – I choose to play.” “I just want to get the best out of a bad situation.”

“It is awkward as they (Checkatrade trophy games) always fall in the international break which makes it difficult.”

“If I am going away with England I will miss the next one.” “If I didn’t I would prepare for the Checkatrade.”

“I want to be playing – at the highest level I can.” “It’s not always the case, as other things get in the way of stuff.”

“But I let other people deal with that.” “I just train hard and keep my standards high.”

“That’s all I can do and what I am paid to do.”

Even though Woodman is not playing first-team football, he was still called up for the England U21 squad for this International break, and the selectors have great confidence in him.

Freddie’s always played well in his many games for the England Youth sides – 56 appearances in all starting at the U16 level.

We expect him to be sent on loan in January and it looks like we may well lose him at the end of his current contract in June 2020.

What do you think?

• toon22

Oct 8, 2018 at 4:32 PM

According to our mate Mike

We dont need to worry about the youth team,or any kind of future

Alls well

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Oct 8, 2018 at 4:39 PM

Ashley will not get a pass from me unless he manages to keep Rafa and then backs the team over several transfer windows. Good start will be Jan but then we need to see as fans that he will again in the summer if we manage to stay up. Need at least two years of serious investment until he gets anywhere near a pass for 11 years of bullshit.

• RobLeenio

Oct 8, 2018 at 4:39 PM

Ed, not sure why you seem so convinced that young Freddie is unhappy with his lot – he’s never said anything to suggest that’s the case as far as I know.

I think Rafa rates him and wants him in and around the 1st team squad so he can assess him and work with him. I think come January we could see Elliott and / or Darlow leave and Woodman move up the pecking order.

• RobLeenio

Oct 8, 2018 at 4:41 PM

Nostro, agreed – but he has to start somewhere. We can only hope this is what we’ve seen the last couple of weeks.

If not, he’ll revert to type soon enough. It’s hard for ar$eholes to smell of roses for an extended period.

• lochinvar

Oct 8, 2018 at 4:48 PM

Woodman should have listened to his Granny when he was younger.
    “Now eat up your Pizza Freddy and you’ll grow up to get a free holiday”

• posada

Oct 8, 2018 at 5:07 PM

Jail
    Ah yes. Pardew head butting an opposing player during a game. I forgot about that wonderful example of leadership. I’m not against lap dancing clubs by the way. About ten years ago I went on a couple of stag doo’s with lads much younger than me. Saw what went on. I was never in danger of loosing my wallet. It was in the pocket of my trousers. It was safe there as I kept my trousers on.
    Charlie
    Yeh your right about us not approaching the ref on mass. I don’t think we would get away with it as our players are not classed as stars of the Prem. The refs are star struck. Rooney got away with murder for years.
    Cheik Toite God bless him. Remember his great goal that never was. The entire Man City team surrounded the ref to protest. None of ours said a word.

• posada

Oct 8, 2018 at 5:15 PM

If I could just say a couple of things in defence of our wide players. I accept that most have been in poor form. However, our wide players are often isolated.
    Wide players need players to play with and options. If you come inside a forward should offer himself for a pass. Viduka and Duff were good at it when occasionally both fit. FBs need to overlap and midfielders ( centre ones ) need to show for a pass.
    Often they have no where to go. Not talking about Sat particularly but just in general.
    We sit in a defensive shape and I don’t think anyone is willing to make forward runs.
    When they do get it they are going up a blind alley. They should just kick it and run after it when we are under the cosh. We would loose possession but at least we would turn the other side round and have 20 seconds to re group.
    Instead they try a pass or a dribble and loose it in 5 seconds.

Atsu seems to stare at the ball in a trance until someone takes it off him.
    Last person I saw doing that – Geremi.

• posada

Oct 8, 2018 at 5:17 PM

Staring at the ball in a trance and not being able to make your mind up what to do.
    That’s why I stopped playing five a side just before my 50th birthday.
    Age was my excuse.