This Youngster Could Be The Top Player We Need Coming Through The Ranks

19-year-old Dane Elias Sorensen is getting the accolades today after he scored his 8th goal of the season last night at Notts County in Newcastle U21’s 2-0 win in the Checkatrade Trophy.

And it seems Elias has improved a lot this season under the watchful eye of Newcastle’s U21 coach Ben Dawson.

The teenager arrived on Tyneside as a 16-year-old in 2015 with a lot of attention and media coverage, and he has suffered a lot from homesickness at such a young age.

But it seems the Danish youngster has now settled in at Newcastle and to prove it he speaks with a Geordie accent.

Elias Sorenson scores in the second half at Notts County – gets mobbed by teammates

When Newcastle signed the youngster three years ago, he was highly touted as a potential future superstar.

We are hoping he can develop and become the star we need coming through the ranks at Newcastle.

This is what Elias has told the Chronicle in his Geordie accent:

“Moving over to Newcastle from Denmark as a 16-year-old was very tough for me.”

“I missed my family, two sisters, and friends. It was tough at first but as the years go by you get used to it.”

“The family come to visit me and I go back when I can so I am used to it.”

“I have settled in.”

“I have picked up the Geordie accent aye!” “It’s just something I have picked up from being around my team-mates.”

“At home in Denmark you learn English at school and you don’t really speak with an accent.” “So I have picked it up from living in the city.”

“I am developing massively.” “I am trying to hold the ball up more.” “I am quite a big lad so I am looking to improve.

“When I first came here I struggled to get into the U18 team but now I am getting a regular game for the U23s.”

“I always have a little game each season with my dad over how many I will score.”

“He challenged me to score 20 goals for the season, so I am aiming for that.”

“But I just take each game as it comes and if a chance comes my way I’ll try to put it in the net.”

Elias has 8 goals this season so we hope he can keep smashing those goals in for us.

We need more youngsters coming through the ranks on Tyneside, and the Danish youngster could well become a big future star at Newcastle.

Why not – he already has his Geordie accent, and that’s got to help.

🙂

• RobLeenio

Oct 10, 2018 at 10:12 AM

It would be about time we saw a striker come through. This lad seems to be the business, but so did Adam Campbell, Adam Armstrong, Nile Ranger and Michael Chopra.

Sorensen has a bit more in terms of physical presence than the two Adams at least, so that may stand him in good stead.

I hope with a bit of focus and a lot of hard work, we’ll see him break through to the first team squad, hopefully with the likes of the Longstaffs, Cal Roberts, Jamie Sterry and Adam Wilson, among others perhaps

• DubaiMicky

Oct 10, 2018 at 10:27 AM

Just read this and it follows on nicely from my comments on agents yesterday:-

“Belgian police have arrested some of Belgium’s most powerful football agents in relation to corruption, money laundering and match-fixing. 10 clubs are also being searched, manager Ivan Leko is currently being questioned by the police”.

So there you go..

• Mag52

Oct 10, 2018 at 10:29 AM

Discounting any other issues, it would seem that the work Beardo has been doing over the years with these kids is beginning to pay off.

• RobLeenio

Oct 10, 2018 at 10:31 AM

Thanks Micky.

I wonder if there is any bearing from this on the HMRC investigation into agents’ fees paid by us and West Ham, among others.

That’s obviously still ongoing, given the inability of the club to comment when asked a direct question about it during the fans’ forum.

• ilovetoon8788

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:01 AM

He will join the long list of players who never had the chance with us. For me, I’d rather have sorenson on the bench than perez or joselu. If he’s good enough, he’s old enough.

I doubt it though. Rafa isn’t someone who is known for bringing talent from youth teams. Sorenson will leave us and will probably have a decent career elsewhere like mbabu.

• DubaiMicky

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:19 AM

I was thinking that RobLeenio, obviously something’s going on. Wasn’t it something about tax evasion as the club paid a larger chuck to the agent who then gave it tax free to his client? Also how “image rights” are seen as a taxable entity – would you pay UK tax for your face being shown in Japan for example?

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:43 AM

Four years you’ve been posting Jiblets. That’s funny, You’re first entry isn’t until late 2015, Jeff from Benwell however…..

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:58 AM

Also Jbbery,
    A couple of weeks ago we had a range of different posters on disagreeing with each other, there was way above the average amount of comments for a random afternoon and a few posters signed off saying how much they’d enjoyed the debate. Funnily enough you were in “Spain” at the time.

• Belfast

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:20 PM

Costa Del Benwell! (With no data)

Him, Faz Deen and a jumbo.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:38 PM

Mag 52

I don’t think we can put any of these recent recent youngsters starting to show up down to Beardo. Beardo my fave NUFC player ever has a dismal record for developing anyone over the last several years now as so many have fallen by the wayside and been deemed not good enough. Ben Dawson seems to have made an immediate impact with our latest influx however.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:55 PM

ilovetoon8788,
    What did you find so funny when we went 3-2 down, the vast majority were gutted?

• beermonkey

Oct 10, 2018 at 1:02 PM

has any1 been to watch the kids under dawson

• toon22

Oct 10, 2018 at 1:12 PM

It’s never MAs fault

• lesh

Oct 10, 2018 at 1:26 PM

Mag52

How can you say that Beardley’s work’s paying off after years of the academy and development squad producing anyone of significance? Could it not be more likely that some of the under 21s are benefitting from Rafa and Dawson’s guidance?

And where Beardsley’s concerned, Charnley hasn’t had time to deal with the alkegations – maybe Ashley’s told him to tread water till he finds out whether Rafa’ll be around next season? It’d be a disgrace if that is the case but no surprise where Ashley’s concerned.

DubaiMicky

Interesting news about the Belgian investigations. Chelsea seem to had a lot of dealings with loaning players out Belgian clubs and I wonder whether they might be wrapped up in this.

• RobLeenio

Oct 10, 2018 at 1:40 PM

lesh, are you suggesting that Chelsea FC and, by extension, the lovable Roman Abramovic may well have been doing naughty things with money?

Surely not!

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Oct 10, 2018 at 1:48 PM

A few months back I said why do we have an academy when we never seem to give them a shot in the first team.
    It’s feels like we are sometimes a farm team, raising players for someone else to benefit.
    If they are good enough to score goals sometimes they need to get a chance.
    I know that not many kids get that chance but some that do have become England internationals. Look at a few, Robbie Fowler and Wayne Rooney I think we’re both 16 when they were drafted into the first team and the rest is history. Hopefully this kid is that one out of 10000 that becomes a history maker for our club.

• RobLeenio

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:06 PM

Anyone wondering where Victor Fernandez was last night, according to the Chronicle he has a heel injury and the club have given him some time off to rest it in Barcelona with his family.

Seems reasonable. He’s just a young lad, probably a bit homesick, can’t play due to injury anyway – let him go home and see his Mum and his mates and he’ll come back refreshed.

• TyneMouth

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:44 PM

Jail @ #11

Just before ilovetoon8788 posted his delight about manu’s winner, he posted -‘3-2, United score!’

(he was referring to manu’s goal! ffs..)

I consider it a hanging offence to call an opposing team ‘United’.

A double hanging if the offence occurs during the game!

• Genjikai

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:55 PM

Rob leeino ive enjoyed reading ur views over the last few days, how i see it ideally we would have a strong squad of first team players. (First 11 and sub bench) then when that is strong enough we shud be letting the youth get their chance. One to watch for out the young ubs kelland watts. Little creative mystro

• RobLeenio

Oct 10, 2018 at 3:05 PM

Genjikai, thank you – it’s nice to hear something positive.

I don’t know much about Kelland Watts, other than being one of the younger players of the U23 squad. I know we need more creative mids, so I’ll keep an eye out for him.

• Jib

Oct 10, 2018 at 3:24 PM

mystro
    is spelt maestro
    Spanish for master

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 10, 2018 at 3:34 PM

Jiblets,
    Who’s Faz Deen, do tell, is he a celebrity I’m supposed to know, is he related to Joe Mcelderberry?