New Signing Is Already Making A Big Difference

We are almost halfway through this long International break where news always seems to be scarce.

But  Fernandez, our new arrival from Swansea has sat down with the local media and given an interview.

Federico looks a strong and experienced player at the back, and his strengths include his calmness on and off the ball.

The 33 times capped Argentine International has brought some experience into the squad, and he’s already played 117 Premier League games for Swansea.

Our last game – a cruel 3-2 defeat at Old Trafford was hardly the result we wanted before the two-week international break.

But on the other hand, it’s the best the lads have played this season.

Federico Fernandez signs on the last day of the summer transfer window

Hopefully, it will point to better things in the future.

We conceded three late goals to lose 3-2, and at least the lads will have learned from some poor defending late in the game

That should be a big positive coming out of the defeat.

This is what Federico has said in Chronicle Live today:

“We wish we had a game this weekend because the international break is very long. But, at the same time, it’s nice to have a few days’ rest to clear the mind,”

“Then we can be back next week with the full energy and positivity to target that Brighton game with 100 per cent concentration.”

“We had a couple of days with family and friends, and now we’re back strong, focused on that game.”

“Until the 70-minute mark (against Man United), we were in a very good shape. We played a good game, but the free-kick changed everything.”

“It gave them confidence, and they are a really good team, with great individual players, and the second and third goals we did the wrong movements and we conceded.”

“It was painful because we deserved more from the game. I think overall we just played with commitment, with a good performance, and we approached the game in the right manner.”

“We are positive because we know that this team, last season we had a bad period but we recovered really well.”

“We know what to do, we believe in our way, so we need to carry on.”

“I try to be calm, because if you are calm on the pitch then you can think more clearly than if you are excited or panicking,”

“I try to be calm, so that I can think and see what can happen in the game. I try to talk, and that’s the way I like to approach the game.”

“In different situations, you can get more excited, but I try to be calm, and I think every player is trying to be calm.”

“To focus on doing their jobs, and avoid giving mistakes to the other team.”

Good comments there from our new center-back.

What do you think?

• DubaiMicky

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:42 AM

So 8 days to go before Brighton, what’s your thoughts on the team?

Mine?

Dubravka
    Yedlin Lascelles Fernandez Dummet
    Shelvey Diame
    Ritchie Perez Kenedy
    Muto

• Just a fan

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:46 AM

Robleenio
    Re Carrick coming home for a couple of seasons.
    But don’t you just hate it when they go back to there hometown club when basically they are finished.eg Rooney.

• martoon

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:47 AM

Lesh at Palma airport – non-football but I’m flying there tomorrow – I presume it hasn’t been affected by the storm?

• hibbit

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:53 AM

i would go with this team

Dubravka
    Yedlin Lascelles Fernandez Dummet
    Ritchie Shelvey Diame Kenedy
    Muto
    Rondon

• RobLeenio

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:01 AM

Just a fan, yep that’s a valid comment but I don’t think it was the case with Carrick – he was still playing very well for Man U right up until retirement.

I think his experience and passion for the club would have been great for our young squad.

Of course, we couldn’t match his wages but I always thought he may have taken a lower wage to play for us for a while.

Does anyone on here know his family and have any insight into whether him coming back was ever a possibility?

• Lindisfarne

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:06 AM

The 442 formation at Man U and the way Kenedy played was a step closer to the dream of 433.

Kenedy—Muto—Perez
    Shelvey—Diame—Ki
    Dummett–Fernandez–Lascelles–Schar
    Dubravka

Push up with a high-ish back line and thread the balls through to the frontline.

• RobLeenio

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:16 AM

Lindisfarne, I can’t help thinking that formation is a little narrow – Perez would drift inside,as would Ki and Shelvey, leaving Kenedy as the only one providing width. Dummett doesn’t come forward often and Schaer I don’t know – has he played at RB for us?

I think if you put Yedlin at RB, that would give more balance, but I think I’d prefer both him and Ritchie instead of Schaer and Ki in that formation. I know Ritchie’s form hasn’t been great, but he does hug the touchline and provide the width.

• dig-n-dig22

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:20 AM

DubaiMicky

Last season I couldn’t help but notice how good a shot Kenedy had when he let go around the edge of the box , unfortunately the box was usually congested and has shots usually got blocked but against ManU last Sat when Kenedy found some daylight he slotted away a great finish. I would love to see Kenedy,Muto up front together feeding off Shelvey. I think We could convert Kenedy into an Arnautovic type role . What do you think?

• dig-n-dig22

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:21 AM

his shots

• RobLeenio

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:33 AM

dig-n-dig22, I actually thought Kenedy had been brought in to fill the number 10 role before he arrived last January. We already had Murphy and Atsu who could play left wing.

I still think Kenedy could play there and could do well.

He’s built like Arnautovic, too – not a bad comparison to be honest.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:08 AM

Me
    No No – I do not want to see Joselu or Robdon up front because that would mean little or no movement up front and hoof ball. Rafa returning to his tried and trusted formation.
    With Perez and Muto we had loads of movement which allowed Shelvey to play his normal passing game
    It also allowed Kenedy to utilise the space left with Perez and Muto’s movement

• DubaiMicky

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:17 AM

@dig-n-dig22 & RobLeenio, that was my thinking, Kenedy filling the space behind Perez and Muto and either acting as a foil or a third striker that will get us some goals, sadly it’s the one thing we’re missing.

I used to like Atsu, but what on earth has happened to him?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:18 AM

So we are apparently scouting a 21 year old midfielder from Besikitas, suppose it’s cos we don’t have any promising 21 year olds ourselves, duuuhh!

• Jib

Clark
    Manquillo
    Darlow

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:29 AM

Jib,
    I hope Mikey bought him a cake after all those nice things he said about him.

• Jib

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:33 AM

Mag : P
    I would play Ki ahead of Diamé

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:36 AM

On the basis that Rondon may be fit I don’t think Rafa will start him as the lads played well together in the first half at Man U.
    Dubravka

Yedlin Lascelles Fernandez Dummet

Shelvey Diame
    Perez Ritchie
    Kenedy
    Muto
    I would give Perez one chance to show what he could do on the wing with link up play with Kenedy.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:45 AM

Has Rondon travelled with the Venezuela squad.

• Lindisfarne

Oct 12, 2018 at 12:03 PM

Robleenio

I agree my team pick looks narrow which is mainly why i picked 4CD along the back line, as extra ptotection against the exposed flanks. In attack I would prefer three more dedicated forwards that are interchangeable and create space for each other. I think at the moment our wingers are over stretched with defending and expected to provide penetration in attack, often with only one player to aim at in the oppositions box. Although niether Shelvey or Key are wingers, three across the middle provides adequate defensive cover and they are both our best passers. Plus I believe we have been suffeing from a lack of control in midfield and have lost games due to being over run.

• hibbit

Oct 12, 2018 at 12:07 PM

Jail for Ashley he’s training at Benton

• G

Oct 12, 2018 at 12:08 PM

I think Diame has been fairly poor by his own 2nd half of season standards this season. I would go with Ki there, however, I think Rafa will be going with Diame if Ki plays for SK this weekend. Is Diame a player who only comes into form after January?

• G

Oct 12, 2018 at 12:15 PM

On the subject of the page, I didn’t expect much from Fernandez when we signed him, having been distinctly unimpressed with his appearances as Swansea. I genuinely believed by now we would have seen loads more of Schar, and hardly any of Fernandez. I’m delighted to be proved wrong by Fernandez though, as although he isn’t very quick, he reads the game very well and he would be one of the fist names on my team sheet if I picked them.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 12, 2018 at 12:16 PM

hibbit,
    That’s good to know, be a bit of a kick in the stones if he’d travelled across the Atlantic to join up with his country to come back off again. I hope he’s fit for Brighton.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Oct 12, 2018 at 12:16 PM

Diame
    I thought Diame had a decent first half at Manure Utd.
    Interesting stat came out this week he is one of the top players for tackles and breaking up play – his only problem I he is not quite sure what to do when he has the ball and switches off – also players around him have not helped him as a lot of players have not wanted the ball or there has been lack of movement

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 12, 2018 at 12:20 PM

Atsu should have been a defender, he seems expert at being able to put a stop to a fast flowing attacking move 😮

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:43 PM

Actually change on team sheet, I totally forgot about Ki. Easily done as he does not get much playing time, but I remember him and Shelvey at Swansea and I used to always think they played good together. So I would swop out Diame for Ki.

• lesh

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:54 PM

martoon

You’ve no need to worry about Palma airport – it’s working fine. I was due out at 10.20 am (Spanish time) and he left om the dot getting into Gatwick half an hour early.

I was in the south west of the island and have had some rain, especially on the night that those poor sods in the north west really got it.

It’s cooling down there now – to be expected in the evening’s – but still in mid to high 20s during the day if the suns doing what it’s supposed to do and making the weather very pleasant.

Wherever you’re going, enjoy it and have safe journeys.

• lesh

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:01 PM

martoon

I was half expecting a high security presence at Palma this morning and had a feeling that Jib would’ve been passing through on his way to offer his support to those affected by that awful flooding.

Knowing how close he is to Ashley, Jib’d probably stay at Ashley’s Mallorcan villa and thrown a party for the great and the good.

• lesh

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:02 PM

Jail @27

Very droll 🙂

• lesh

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:05 PM

@29. * evening’s ? The grocer’s apostrophe lives on!

😐

• DubaiMicky

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:05 PM

I see SD have bought HoF’s Fraser building in Glasgow for £95m. Maybe they’ll be sponsoring Rangers next?

• lesh

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:07 PM

Martoon

Correction @29 north west = north east (of Mallorca)

I’m a bit weary.

• RobLeenio

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:09 PM

Just followed a link from nufc.com to a twitter account highlighting Dan Barlaser’s first goal for Accrington Stanley. It seems the fans down there really rate him, likening him to Ricky Villa and Steven Gerard.

The link is here for anyone who hasn’t seen it

• RobLeenio

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:15 PM

lesh, for ‘weary’, should we read ‘overwhelmed by the in-flight refreshments’?

😉

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:50 PM

Nope, Jib’s in Indonesia seeing to his mate Bupak the local Sumartran rickshaw driver.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:56 PM

Dan Barlasser
    Seen him play in last seasons or seasons before league cup and was impressed with him
    Try to take control of the midfield cool on the ball and a good passer
    Makings of a decent player

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:59 PM

Barlasser
    Be interesting how he gets on against the mackems in December

• chicousa

Oct 12, 2018 at 3:01 PM

Morning lads! Temperatures here 27-29 degrees C. Perfect!

DubaiMicky @12 re: Atsu
    I asked the same question after the last match. He has looked completely lost all season when he has played! Confidence might be completely shot….In any event he is a liability these days. I would rather see one of the youngsters given Atsu’s place on bench….Cal Roberts.