This Could Be A Little Ominous For New Signing

There are two players who Newcastle signed in the summer who have not featured much at all for the first team.

They are Swiss center-back Fabian Schar and central midfielder Ki Sung-yueng.

Ki Sung-yueng joined Newcastle on a free transfer in the summer from Swansea but has sometimes not been in the squad as he shares backup duties with Isaac Hayden.

Ki has said he is fit, and that’s it’s Rafa who has simply not been selecting him; it’s selection decisions made by the gaffer.

Ki has significant Premier League experience having played almost 160 Premier League games for Swansea, and for Sunderland when he was on loan there in season 2013-2014.

He has also played 107 times for South Korea and was their former captain, but he seems out of favor at Newcastle.

Ki Sung-yueng in action at Hull in preseason

He’s played only one game for Newcastle at Manchester City in the 2-1 loss, and that’s it.

Jonjo Shelvey and Mo Diame are holding down the two central midfield spots as they did earlier this year in the second half of last season.

Ki did play for South Korea last night in their 2-1 victory over Uruguay at the Seoul World Cup Stadium.

This is what Ki has told Yonhap News.:

“I haven’t played a match for my club for about a month, but I’m fine,”

“Even though I didn’t play in a match, I worked out a lot and it actually helped me to prepare for this match.”

“I’m training well at Newcastle.”

“Bento (South Korea coach) is telling us to play with confidence even if we make mistakes in the build-up process.”

“A build up can start from full-backs or a midfielder, but basically we try to outnumber the opponents when possessing the ball.”

“Bento gives us detailed explanations, which is something we haven’t seen on the national team before.”

“I can’t confirm whether I will certainly retire [from International football) as I cannot make the decision on my own,”

“But I did organise my thoughts to some extent.”

“For the last four years as a captain, I felt responsible for not leading this team well.”

“I saw many coaches come and go and felt the considerable responsibility on my shoulders as a captain, so that really tired me out.”

“But I haven’t made up my mind yet. I will announce it when the time comes” .

“When I started to play in Europe, I cared about the national team whenever I made decisions.”

“Until now, I’ve sacrificed for my national team, and I considered my national team important, so I had picked a club where I can play many games.”

“But now the World Cup is over, and I don’t have to do it that way.”

Ki seems upbeat still about Newcastle, but this could be an ominous sign for him.

When Rafa doesn’t use a player, it could be because there’s a part of their game he doesn’t like.

We’ve had players like Aleksandar Mitrovic and Achraf Lazaar get very little playing time by Rafa – with Lazaar only making 10 appearances for the first team since h singed in the summer of 2016.

But Lazaar didn’t have any previous PL experience and that’s the same with Mitro.

When Ki was signed, we thought he would offer some good competition in central midfield, and he’s got a wealth of Premier League experience with Swansea and with Sunderland.

Maybe Rafa could be asked in his next press conferences why Ki (and Fabian Schar) have not been in the squad for some games?

For Schar, it’s becasue of the competition in central defense, but that doesn’t seem to be the case in central midfield.

What do you think?

Comments welcome

• ronaldo aarons

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:40 PM

My gran could manage Celtic to the league title! Although say whatever, his unbeaten Celtic run last season was phenomenal and can’t be knocked imo. But why talk about future managers when we have already signed Rafa’ successor…. enter Neil Redfearn!

• Genjikai

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:41 PM

I would like to see KSY play more, i think diame knows hes got the long haul in the game so trys to conserve energy right to the end. He seems more focused on his energy levels than he does on the game. Thats why i think he gets sloppy sometimes.

• Genjikai

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:45 PM

Do people think ritiche could do a job carrying the ball put of a 3 man midfield, have shelvey play maker, ritchie carrying the ball and diame or ksy in defensive midfield role.
    That would allow for a 4 3 1 2 like lascelles said the other night, or try to play 4 3 3 where kennedy on left muto in middle and perez or murphy on right. All could interchange uptop.

• Jib

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:47 PM

One thing I noticed last night in the England match in Rijaka
    There seemed to be a lot less writhing around on the deck
    after being tackled.
    Does this mean modern players need a live audience for their histrionics ?

• ronaldo aarons

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:48 PM

Genjikai
    Imo, I don’t think Ritchie can do the ball carrier role. He doesn’t have any pace for that at all. The last ball carrier we had was sissoko. Perez does it at times to be fair. Do feel that we miss that type of player.

• Jib

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:49 PM

Genjikai
    You are getting it confused with rugby.

You are not allowed to carry the ball in footy

😛

• Genjikai

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:50 PM

See thats was my thinking on ritchie, he is too slow. Again i thought of perez but maybe a bit to lightweight?
    I know its at an extreme but i love watching oxlade chambalin or hazard play there.
    Maybe kennedy could play that part.

• Genjikai

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:54 PM

For people who want Rafa gone, which way would you have us lined up?
    Which players would you play in your line up?

• Genjikai

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:56 PM

Jib a think mike ashley is confused that he runs a football club.
    Hes in the complete wrong sector never mind sport.

• Jib

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:08 PM

Halftime Exeter Chiefs 10 Munster (hanging on in) 3

• toon22

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:10 PM

LoL

HMRC don’t put people in prison

?

• Pitmatic

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:13 PM

I think Ancient has it more or less spot on about Rodgers. A very good manager who we’d be lucky to get as and when Rafa leaves. He came within an inch of the title with a genuinely thrilling side, which at least bears comparison with Keegan’s record here, even if he’s not considered “world class”. (I’m a bit suspicious of these elite coaches’ forums anyway – what do they talk about? How great they all are?)

As it is I think Gerrard is probably a more realistic candidate. Or even Lampard. Or more likely Wagner or Calvalhal. But the naysayers must have someone in mind, or are they really jacking it all in when Rafa goes?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:21 PM

toon22

I think it depends on whether there’s fraud involved, in which case it becomes a criminal offense, has he committed fraud, that’s yet to be seen. He possibly has but just wishing it aint going to make it happen.

Still you never know sending such wishes out into the ether could have an influence on what you are hoping for.

• Genjikai

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:23 PM

Essex geordie bill, if enough of us believe the universe will latch on.
    Keep dreaming boys, keep dreaming.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:27 PM

Dig

About the gas lighters there used to be one living near the churchyard and he’d go around lighting the gaslights before it got dark then he’d go around again in the morning and turn them off again, wages were carp though as he seemed to be right on the poverty line.

Don’t know if you are aware of it but that church is the one that was dismantled brick by brick with all of them being carefully numbered, it was then remantled as a centrepiece at Beamish.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:31 PM

Genjikai

Aah but the universal energy’s do respond to needs and desires if you put enough effort into your wishes.

I think that toon22 just needs to continue wishing, I’ve certainly no problem with what he writes. If I found it annoying I’d just ignore it.

• toonluvva

Oct 13, 2018 at 5:54 PM

Is Rafa intentionally not playing certain members of the squad because he was not keen on having them in the first place.

Just asking.