Lascelles On Why He Never Wants To “Escape” From Newcastle

The big news yesterday was that captain Jamaal Lascelles signed a new improved deal that keeps him at the club through June 2024.

While Jamaal Lascelles has been catching the eye of big clubs like Tottenham and Chelsea he has always been happy at Newcastle.

The Derby-born player has said he’s already at a big club at Newcastle so why would he want to move.

He has settled in Newcastle and is creating roots with his young family to stay on Tyneside for a long time.

What would be really good is that if Rafa Benitez also decides to stay long-term but we’ll have to wait until at least after the January transfer window on that decision.

Jamaal Lascelles being interviewed yesterday

Jamaal hasn’t bothered to get an escape clause in his contract in case Newcastle are relegated and he says he will stay with the club if that happens.

This is some of what he has said in the Chronicle:

“There is actually no clause where I can escape.” “I didn’t want there to be.”

“It is not even a conversation that took place.” “I am happy here and over the moon to sign for six years.”

“I was buzzing when I got offered a new deal.” “I am happy to see out a lot of my career here.”

“For me I am already at a big club.” “Top six? Yeah can be.” “With all the history and one of the best stadiums in the country.”

“We have the best fan base in the country as far as I am concerned.” “In my eyes this is a massive club.”

“The fans aren’t by themselves – I am here for another six years now.”

“I was more than happy to sign, over the moon.” “I have been happy here ever since I signed.”

“I just want this club to really push on and however we do that we’ll see – but we need to push on.”

“As players we are trying to work out how we can do it.” “Everybody wants the same thing.”

“I do understand why some fans get frustrated, whether it’s to do with the club or whether we are playing.”

“Of course we are at at the bottom so that is not going to help anybody’s feelings.”

“In a situation like this I just think unity can make the difference right now.”

“Especially with the situation we are in.”

Jamaal is keen that everybody stays united behind Newcastle in these difficult times.

But that’s unlikely to happen with the Magpie Group planning increased protests against owner Mike Ashley with a boycott planned for the home game against Wolves in early December.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Watford?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Bambams

Nov 2, 2018 at 7:59 AM

No buy out clause….Respect fella.

You know what it is, we will know so much more in January. If we bring in some great players which will make Rafa happy and help us move up the table – brilliant.

But if it’s the usual….loans, buy to sell, late signings – well that will be the last thing this club needs.

I still don’t think we will go down, I also don’t expect Rafa to remain if not backed in January.

I could even see someone like Warnock coming in if Rafa was to leave…..

• Wayayman

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:11 AM

OK lets get one thing straight here, The Magpie Group are not the cause of any disharmony among fans. I’m sure they’d much rather not have to exist at all – the men and women involved are working their backsides off trying to make a difference for the good of the club.
    It’s Ashley who is the root cause of everything wrong with the club today. Everything.

• Jib

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:14 AM

“We have the best fan base in the country as far as I am concerned.”

He may well have changed his mind in the last 24 hours with the stupid
    shit that’s flown his way from the screeching mob of pseudo – fans.

• Mindshaft

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:29 AM

Signing an extension on improved terms isn’t that much of a commitment, just means he earns more money until he leaves.
    Our best CB pairing is still lascelles and lejuene , it’s just a shame lejuene is a bit injury prone

• Jib

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:36 AM

Mindshaft
    Your probably right about the CB’s
    However Lascelles leadership qualities
    are what makes him important .
    I wonder if Rafa has thought about him as a DM ?

• Grafton83

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:40 AM

It’s been 3 days and I’ve not had a reply for my GDPR request from sports direct. What now?

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:41 AM

Jib

He could never be a DM, he’s too awkward on the ball and his touch and control isn’t really that great, but he is an excellent no nonsense centre half in my opinion.

• wynsleap

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:48 AM

Lascelles is paid (handsomely) to do one thing. Play football for Newcastle United.
    He’s not paid to tell the supporters, who help to pay his wages, what they should be doing or thinking against this parasite owner.

• Wayayman

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:48 AM

Grafton I think they’ve got 30 days, right?

• Wayayman

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:49 AM

Is Online Guy about or is he mainly evenings?

• Jib

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:53 AM

It was Dubai Micky posted the link to
    Data Prot at SD

• Bladey

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:08 AM

Wake up dumb asses just because he signs a new contract doesn’t mean he can’t just leave they are not worth the paper they are written on all it does mean is nufc could get a decent transfer fee
    Bale signed a 4 year contract with spurs left the following year as did Luke Shaw suarez I could go on
    One final point he’s not that good
    ASH OUT RAFA OUT

• Jimmy Mac74

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:08 AM

By law, all GDPR requests must be actioned 30 days from request.

• RobLeenio

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:08 AM

wynsleap, you’re absolutely correct, but nor is it our job to tell him what opinions he should express of his own or is it our right to criticise those opinions when expressed.

The cr@p flying his way the last 24 hours has been disgraceful

• Wayayman

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:10 AM

The GDPR thing is from Ashley Out campaign. Every single one of us here should be doing it.

• catchy in norway

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:12 AM

WAYAMAN

Im sure they have the best interests of the club at heart, but i do feel they cause more trouble than they realise.

Its hard to separate Ashley from the football side of things, and I personally the negativity that is built up before matches has a negative effect on the feeling within the ground, Mix that with the Negative football Rafa likes to play, it all adds up to a toxic environment.

none of these protests will have any effect on Ashley and his business, because people want cheap things, and he knows it. If a fan turns up at the match and pays 500+ pound every year, why should the fans who dont have a ticket have to give up buying a couple hundred quid on clothes or other things.

IMO if people want make a statement, then it has to be a huge statement, stay away from many home matches, dont scream at shop windows,, thats just stupidity..

• DubaiMicky

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:21 AM

catchy, you’re missing the point, by getting SD to respond to the request (which they have to do legally within 30 days), it’s causing him a problem. That should be applauded.

Also I understand a Norwegian is looking at a buyout of us.

• geordietom

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:22 AM

people slagging LACELLES off is crap … i dont think for one moment he’s that sort of person … i live in DERBY where he’s from … spoke to a few mates of mine who know of him and his family … they have nowt but good things to say about him…

every time ASHLEY does something the conspiracy theorists come out of the wood work… I’M not sticking up for ASHLEY … before i get blitzed

• Bambams

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:26 AM

Anyone else seen this….

Sorry if already been shared

• toon kk

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:28 AM

Good on lascells, six years is along contact. I hope he realises he could be playing in the championship for a chunk of his career.

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:30 AM

JIB/LESH…yep, great shame about Tony Joe White. Ditto when Jerry Reed died some years ago. Great singer songwriter and terrific guitarist, smashing sense of humour in his songs.

• hibbit

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:39 AM

geordietom

Lascelles is bit of fans favorite and Bishop know this.
    i have a feeling the lads been well and truly played by a very cleaver PR machine to deflect at least some of the criticism being directed at there boss

• hibbit

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:42 AM

divide and conquer

the policy of maintaining control over one’s subordinates or opponents by encouraging dissent between them, thereby preventing them from uniting in opposition.
    “the politics of divide and rule in society”

• DubaiMicky

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:45 AM

Bambams, I never saw that, why he’s not been properly hit by a Toon fan is amazing.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:45 AM

Jib

I certainly don’t agree with abusing anyone on twitter but surely even you can see that someone who refers to Ashley as ” a nice guy ” has either been seriously hoodwinked, paid off, isn’t too bright or has totally misjudged the ire of the fans towards Ashley. Maybe all of the above apply.

Effectively gagging people or censoring and putting out carefully crafted soundbytes by Bishop seems to be Ash’s modus operandi. Not quite North Korea but you get the picture.

Ironically Laselles has been very poor this season and Lejeune and Fernandez would seem the way forward.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:47 AM

Lascelles is of course entitled to an opinion and at it’s core, I can’t argue with the message. Unity is best. But isn’t that what the protests are for? Is that not what fans have had enough of? The lack of unity from the owner, the man who does dictate where this club is heading (nowhere, he’s said he can’t take us forward)?

Imo, the protests are all about being united for a better future. Doing nothing, sitting in the stands, feeling hopeless and frustrated, doesn’t help the manager or the players, as we are seeing.

If Lascelles’ assessment had been more than Ashley’s a nice bloke, perhaps some middle ground could be found, but where can we see all parties pulling in the same direction? We don’t and that is where the issue lies.

We’ve been here before, it doesn’t change Ashleys approach to NUFC, it just gives him a fresh restart.

If you want the fans onside Mike, do one of the right things at your disposal and stop with the petty manipulation.

• DubaiMicky

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:47 AM

From the sun

Personally my anger towards ashley is so huge that I’d be the first to smack him.
    I’m sure there are many other more angry than me.

• Bambams

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:49 AM

DubaiMicky

It appears it was an amicable approach but obviously became heated.

I can’t fathom this bloke out at all, surely he knows a huge majority don’t particularly like him and the risk must be known to him.

I got an email back of Ed, confirmed he has sent my details.

Anyway I hope there is something with your last post ‘re possible Norwegian interest.

• Jib

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:49 AM

Rotonda heights
    Jib
    I certainly don’t agree with abusing anyone on twitter but surely even
    you can see that someone who refers to Ashley as ” a nice guy ” has
    either been seriously hoodwinked, paid off, isn’t too bright or has totally
    misjudged the ire of the fans towards Ashley.

Or hey ! may have given his own opinion .

What a thought !

• Jib

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:53 AM

Jail for Ashley’s pal
    at True Faith actually posted this yesterday

Jamal Lascelles doesn’t give a f@ck about Newcastle United.
    Boycott Wolves.
    Alex Hurst
    @tfalex1892

Does this tosser realise how much harm he’s done to support
    for the protest groups !!!!!

• geordietom

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:53 AM

hibbit

agree with you about him maybe about ASHLEY’S PR PERSON but is the lad himself that gullible ?

or did ASHLEY threaten him ( joke ) just like the guy in that news article

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:54 AM

No disrespect at all to the Magpie Group, they’re doing great work, but I’m reading that they are considering the protest where the crowd stay out their seats for about 11 minutes after the start of a match. I thought this was a reasonable compromise until I tried to figure out how it would work.
    It normally takes about an hour for the ground to fill up, slowly at first then faster as kick-off approaches. If the idea is for no one to be sitting in their seats until 11 minutes after kick off, where are those (up to) 50,000 fans going to be waiting?
    They can’t be expected to cram into the shop levels, there’s not enough room. If they are meant to stay outside, until 11 minutes after KO, is that when they start filtering through the turn styles. Apart from the mayhem that would cause outside, the ground would be filling up till half time. Anybody got any idea how the MG intends to make it work?

• Rotonda heights

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:59 AM

Bambams

V signs, now threatening punters, what a great fit and proper owner we have.

• Jimmy Mac74

Nov 2, 2018 at 10:00 AM

If this restaurant story is true then it’s worrying. Giving the bloke grief in a public place is a bad idea despite how much of a to$$er he is. It could generate sympathy for him in the media and paint all toon fans as trouble makers. Apart from which it shows a lock of decorum.

I’m no Ashley fan but this type of thing isn’t what’s needed (if true).

• Rotonda heights

Nov 2, 2018 at 10:02 AM

jib

Yes, his opinion based on all the things mentioned

• Ibizatoon

Nov 2, 2018 at 10:02 AM

Jib…Perhaps the Magpies Group and others think that Lascelles actions / words have harmed support for the protests?

Personally I find their message way too harsh, but then, so do I find Lascelles “nice guy” comment sickening.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 2, 2018 at 10:03 AM

he could just have called the management over, not get involved. Cue Jib’s further excuses.

• Jib

Nov 2, 2018 at 10:06 AM

It’s quite amusing that stories in the The Sun
    get regularly dissed on here – but as soon as
    it’s anti – Ashley – it must be true.

• Bambams

Nov 2, 2018 at 10:08 AM

Rotonda

I just can’t understand why he allowed the fan to approach him….52000 singing ‘You fat Cockney B………. get out of a club ‘ should of given him the hint.

I suppose we don’t know exactly what was said or if Ash was with his family…..ash probs drunk !

Like I said I can’t fathom the bloke out but in January we will find out -we either improve or we will lose Rafa.

In my opinion

Cheers Rotonda

• Jimmy Mac74

Nov 2, 2018 at 10:08 AM

Yeah he could of @Rotonda but I just think creating that situation is a bad call. Imagine if the supporter got wound up by Ashleys response and it escalated. As well as showing a lack of class it could easily turn into a situation that Ashley’s PR machine would be all over.