Our Man Of The Match – In From The Cold

All three substitutes on Saturday played really well for us and answered the call from Rafa for the fringe players to improve their form and work-rate in training.

Rafa wanted them all to challenge for a first team starting position.

One of them on Saturday was the 29-year-old 108 times capped South Korean International Ki Sung-yueng who is our Man of the Match with 30% of the vote.

Big fan favorite Martin Dubravka is second in the poll with 19% after keeping his second successive clean sheet as we managed to pick up 4 points in the last couple of games and triple our points total.

🙂

Ki (shown above) set up the goal for Ayoze Perez after 65 minutes with a beautiful free kick to give him an assist in what was such an important victory team.

Well done Ki Sung-yueng – keep it up!

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 1-0 Win Against Watford

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• carltoon

Nov 5, 2018 at 3:59 PM

The Chronicle saying club still up for sale for 300million will take staggered payments. Yes that’ll be right. Won’t hold my breath.

• Toonlegend

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:00 PM

W

• Toonlegend

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:02 PM

People are going way over the top on here after winning just one game so far this season, we are so rubbish.

• Black and white armpit

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:06 PM

Jog on negger.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:08 PM

Thing is last season we outplayed Bournemouth for the majority of both games but didn’t beat them!

They have improved a good bit and Wilson is back fit which will make it very difficult for us!

Hopefully with our confidence up now we can get pressing them straight away which will make all the difference we look so much better as a team when we get in the other teams faces rather than sitting back and allowing the other team time on the ball

• mac the jaffrey

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:14 PM

Only 56 days till the window opens………….bet there’s some serious brainstorming of pre-prepared excuses for not spending……..again.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:16 PM

Are we there yet? Repost time.

I do think catchy has had more than enough opprobrium on the blog, obviously a lot of people don’t agree with what he says but that shouldn’t be a reason to deny him the right to say it.

He does put forward some good arguments even if at times they are negative or interpreted in that way.

So on the basis of free speech for all (with the obvious exceptions of downright nasty or vile comments) I am asking for people to heart this comment if you agree with me.

• Toon&oot

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:19 PM

Dont think its Rafa’s style to get in other teams faces sadly. We did against Man U in the first half which is the best ive seen us play all season. Onwards and upwards hopefully.

• Black and white armpit

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:21 PM

Essex has called for love, unity and the right to free speech on the blog, has asked for hearts to show agreement, of course i’ve hearted it.

As a bit of side fun, if you’d prefer Scratchy to crawl back under his rock you could also heart this one.

• RobLeenio

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:22 PM

“we are so rubbish” – nah, we’re not. I’d honestly stake my house on us staying up.

I mentioned at the start of the season that Rafa’s teams improve as the season goes on. Why would this season be any different?

The whole situation will look completely different by Christmas, I expect us to have pulled clear and be sitting around 14th. We’ll see of course.

• cyprus

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:38 PM

Stake your house eh? That’s brave 😉

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:43 PM

People asking for hearts, god this blog has gone soft. You want a heart, join match.com.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:44 PM

I actually agree with Robleenio

I think we will be safe as well but it won’t be pretty to watch!! Will likely need 3 or 4 players in January to rubber stamp it!

The problem is that just seems to be the limit of the clubs ambition so it will be back to the standard relegation battle next season as well

• cyprus

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:50 PM

Just went to check what the bookies think.

3 to 1 odds to be relegated, but promoted teams have ‘better’ odds, and Burnley too.

Right now I’d take fourth bottom.

• Mag52

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:50 PM

Much as I love having Rafa as our manager, not only for the respect he attracts to the club on account of his stellar career in management, but because of the decency of the man, but, in his quiet moments following Saturday’s result, he must be thanking his lucky stars that he had to make the three early substitutions in the game which changed the whole dynamic and led us to our first win of the season.
    Stay lucky Rafa.

• DubaiMicky

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:51 PM

Ashley has cost the high street over 6,000 jobs and billions in unpaid debt.

This is what that scum bag is.

• cyprus

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:52 PM

Unless you’ve got a couple houses, I’d wait a month or two. We still haven’t turned the corner.

• Black and white armpit

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:52 PM

Forth bottom may be the right call with the start we’ve had.

I honestly believe If we avoid relegation there’ll be a buyer waiting in the wings.

• lesh

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:54 PM

Repost (from a few threads back)

Black and white armpit

Please accept my apologies for misreading your post and wrongly attributing Catchy’s disrespectful comment about Ed’s knowledge, to you.

I did think it odd that you’d say such a thing about Ed and should’ve reread before posting. Again, sorry

• cyprus

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:56 PM

Dubai
    Weren’t those companies going down anyway? He’d tell you he’s at least saved some jobs.

• Black and white armpit

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:59 PM

No worries Lesh, appreciate the apology.

• lesh

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:00 PM

Cartoon

Ashley will take £300m for the club? £300m for whaf – a shell that is the football operation after he’s stripped out merchandise, catering, sold land and will doubtless want SD plastered all over the place thus limiting commercial advertising opportunities going forward (I hate that term (going forward)!).

• Jib

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:00 PM

lesh
    You misread posts and go off on one all the time
    you silly old duffer – Victor Meldrew comes to mind

• RobLeenio

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:01 PM

cyprus, I said I’d stake my house, I never said my missus would let me.

And yes, for all those folk who say I’m under the thumb, I do have to check with the Missus before I go gambling my family’s wellbeing on the Toon.

Suffice to say, I’m confident. We were playing well before we won this match, just not getting it over the line. Now we’ve remembered how to do that again, it’s all gravy.

• RobLeenio

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:04 PM

lesh, “Why doesn’t the greedy git restore land etc and sell the club with the income opportunities he’s stripped out!”

Simples – he’s a greedy git!

• lesh

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:05 PM

Jib

That’s rich coming from you! However, unlike VM, I’ll leave you to wallow in your sanctimonious stupor!

• Jib

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:05 PM

Sport (especially footy) throws up ironic
    situations all the time

Tonight Aleksandar Mitrovic could put
    us back in the relegation zone !!!

• lesh

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:08 PM

RobLeenio

Ashley a greedy git? You’re courting trouble from the apologists Bishop’s sponsoring. Jib’ll be leading the charge – put your tin hat on.

• Jib

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:13 PM

Nemanja Matic refuses to wear a poppy because
    NATO (including the RAF) dropped over 500 cluster
    bombs on civilian areas of Serbia in 1998

I wonder if Mitro will be wearing one tonight ?

• GeordieTwo

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:15 PM

Nay Essex! Nay I say. I’m planning to continue to opprobe catchy! Harrumph! Errm unless opprobrium is a good thing that is? Is it?

• Black and white armpit

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:17 PM

Matic Is’nt shy to pick his wages up though.

• Jib

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:17 PM

According to city sources at least 2 prospective
    buyers have met Ashley’s asking price but have
    been knocked back because they refused to
    provide assurances about providing substantial
    funds to take NUFC up a level.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:18 PM

Can we get a little run going now? Possibly 3 or 4 matches in a row? That would be very nice indeed…

• Our Toon

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:19 PM

Essex

I don’t agree with catchy on alot of things but he has as much right as me or anyone else to air his views. He’s right when he says the win was as a result of forced changes rather than planned changes though.

Also this notion that we would differently under rafa if he was backed is somewhat baffling, rafa has always set up to defend first and that will never change even with better players.

I personally think the changes that would have been made on Saturday are:

Atsu or Murphy for Ritchie
    Perez for muto
    Joselu for Rondon

Very different to what we were forced to do, fringe players made a massive difference, may be they should be given more of an opportunity going forward

• GeordieTwo

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:20 PM

That sounds like complete bollocks Jib. Which city sources exactly?

• Jib

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:21 PM

I’m thinking of having an opprobrium built
    at the bottom of my garden.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:22 PM

I don’t think Ki should be considered a fringe player going forward. He should be moved in from the fringe. What’s the next layer inward? The lapel possibly. Ki for lapel player!

• RobLeenio

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:22 PM

Jib, there’s a certain irony in the fact that the post you said was ironic (27) wasn’t and the one you followed it with (32) is dripping in irony.

Are you Alanis Morissette?

😉

• RobLeenio

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:23 PM

I had an opprobrium once but couldn’t get a tune out of it.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:24 PM

You could put your tin one in there Jib and try having a wash twice a month!

1 2 3 5