Rafa’s A Better Person Than A Manager – And He’s A World Class Manager

Pedro Campos is part of Rafa’s staff at Newcastle United.

Campos works on watching players and sending reports to the Newcastle manager on various players and teams.

He has been interviewed by Spanish outlet ABC de Cordoba, and his childhood team was Cordoba who he still follows closely.

He says he follows and suffers with the team –  tell us about it!

Cordoba CF were founded in 1954, and they play in the Spanish second division; they are currently third bottom of the 22 clubs in the league.

Rafa Benitez – an impressive person

This is what Campos said yesterday in his interview about his passion for Cordoba followed by how much he admires Rafa Benitez as both a person and a manager:

“It’s something that I have marked on the skin, something I feel,”

“Yes, I am a Cordoba follower and sufferer.”

“And, therefore, wherever I am, I always try to be aware of what the team is doing and have as much information as possible with permission from Newcastle, of course.”

“It is an obligation that I put on myself (to watch multiple games).”

“For example, I saw the Sporting game in a hotel room at three in the morning. I think that says everything.”

“He (Rafa Benitez) is one of the people with the greatest human capacity I know.”

“Everything for him starts with respect.”

“I would say that he is a better person than a manager and as a manager he is one of the best in the world.”

We saw how much Rafa respected people when we were in the Championship a couple of years ago.

He was a bit of a celebrity at the away games, but he always treated the away club and their manager with great respect.

We noticed that and Rafa has never been carried away by his immense success as a manager.

As we have said many times before – that’s one reason he’s the perfect manager for Newcastle United.

• Zele

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:12 AM

It’s good to know that Antonio, Mikel and Paco are always working really hard it’s just a pity that some of players don’t seem to have heard or learnt from them at times.

The free kick from Ki was the first one I can remember this season that was delivered accurately at speed and the slightest of touches by defenders or attackers would left the keeper possibly quite unprepared for its trajectory and final destination.

It looked as if the speed of the ball beat the keeper.

• Zele

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:21 AM

Someone (possibly a few) said yesterday that perhaps a 3-5-2 formation should be tried against Bournemouth if Lascelles, Shelvey, Muto and possibly Ritchie are unavailable through injury.

I think this has merit.

Schaar, Fernandez and Dummitt at the back.
    Kenedy and Yedlin as wingbacks.
    Diame, Ki and ANO in midfield.
    Rondon and Perez up front.

ANO could be Hayden or Longstaff.

• catchy in norway

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:58 AM

ok, who kidnapped him then and put this poster in our club

• catchy in norway

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:00 AM

everything starts with respect,, that’s why his first words to stevie g’s mam was, does your son like money.

that’s bing a tit

• RobLeenio

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:12 AM

catchy, just to play Devil’s advocate, did you not say yesterday that you had said things that you regretted, even on this very blog?

Rafa lives in the public eye, he says things and then they get reported on and stay with him for the rest of his life. He also doesn’t say things but people make stuff up, just as with every celebrity in the World.

I think I would rather judge him on what he says and does now, rather than what he may have said or done in the past.

• carltoon

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:13 AM

Christ you’ve started the abuse of Raffa early. I’m sure Steven Gerrard said Raffa was a fantastic manager.

• Jib

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:14 AM

“At press conferences he might call other players by their first name
    but I was always ‘Gerrard’. It was the same in the dressing room.
    He would read out the team and use nicknames.
    But, for me, it would just be ‘Gerrard’.”

Obvious dislike there

Stevie Gerrard who paid an acquaintance £30k to say
    that it was him and not Gerrard who assaulted a DJ in Southport

I know which human being I prefer
    Seems Rafa is a good judge of character

oh ! and another quote (which Catchy has carefully skirted)

The former Reds captain says in his new autobiography
    that tactically the Spaniard was the best manager he ever played for

• Jib

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:25 AM

The remark to Gerrards mother was made in Lisbon 20thJune 2004
    where Gerrard was playing for England vs Croatia in the UEFA nations
    Benitez has been at Liverpool for 4 days and been told his first tasks
    were to stop Gerrard going to Chelsea and Owen to Real Madrid.
    He succeeded with the former and failed with the latter.
    The effort to keep Gerrard may have had something with the comment to
    his mum .

• martoon

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:27 AM

It’s an open secret that Rafa and Gerrard didnt get on for whatever reason. That doesn’t make either of them a bad manager!

• catchy in norway

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:31 AM

Rob

no i never said that, I stand by everything i say, but i can change my mind is what i said.

i never regret anything, i have done some stupid things, i might even cringe at, but at that time i would have had my reasons to do or say.

you say play devils advocate, hand on heart, if you bought sunderland or blackburn, would you sink all your money into it if the fans only have hate everything you do.

you would probably say screw you lot,

people saying he should sell. wouldn’t sell for less than it’s worth, so why should he?

i look at other clubs like Watford, a few weeks ago there club was valued at 350 million. with a smaller stadium smaller fan base cheaper squad.

devils advocate works on many levels.

• Just a fan

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:33 AM

I think he may have called him Stevie g a couple of times.
    I hate it when managers call them by there nicknames.

• catchy in norway

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:38 AM

Jib

read other people too, but you will find a problem with everything anyone says about him. being god and all.
    Alonso dosnt have nice things to say about him
    Bellamy said the training sessions were defensive repercussions, very little attack work
    another pool player said, he played 30 times in the CL winning season, only to be dumped on the second plane back from turkey and all those firing players missed the open top bus parading them.

carragha said he seemed to prefer the spanish speakers

they all say he is a good tactician. that not coaching. but even then, it seems like he has a script that he has to do, subs at 70 mins like for like

• Rob1971

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:39 AM

Catchy Ashley has never sunk his money into the club at any time, the fans turned on him after what he did to Keegan around, he never backed him with signings, in fact he sold one of our better players in the club at the time in Milner while not replacing him, if you read Terry Macs book it will tell you all you need to know about Ashley, Gonzalos and Xisco were brought into the club without Keegans approval, Keegan rang Ashley to say do you know anything about this, he said he didn’t and would call keegan back the next day, he never did so Keegan walked, Ashley started messing about at the club way before the fans turned, the fans aren’t to blame for him being a horrendous owner, but Rafa is probably to blame for that too

• lesh

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:41 AM

Catchy

If people are saying Ashley should sell he shouldn’t be expected to sell the club for sell for less than it’s worth, doesn’t it occur to you that if something’s for sale, it will only sell for what buyers believe it’s worth.

Nufc’s been for sale for 10 years or so and it hasn’t sold. Doesn’t that tell you something? Doesn’t it tell you that buyers disagree with Ashley’s valuation, he’s asking too much? He’s greedy won’t be happy until he’s, screwed every last penny out of Newcastle United

• RobLeenio

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:42 AM

catchy, if I bought a club, I would try to ensure it was run on sound commercial lines, maximising revenue streams, ensuring match-day concessions were pumped back into the club and that the best use was being made of club assets. I’d also ensure that the future of the club was sound in order that I could maximise my investment when it came time to sell, even if that meant that I had to invest in the short term in the club infrastructure, academy and facilities.

What I wouldn’t do is strip the club of its assets, hang my tatty adverts all over it for no payment, refuse to allow it to spend the money it has earned, divert match-day concessions into my own pocket and allow it to rot physically and spiritually while all other clubs are pulling ahead of it.

I’m pleased for Watford that their club is valued so highly – their owners run it the right way and any prospective purchaser would know they are getting a sound business for their money, not just an empty shell on rented land with who knows what commercial disasters hiding under the bed.

• Rob1971

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:45 AM

Catchy Alonso said this about Rafa when he was still at Liverpool so he has said good things about him in the past:

He’s a great manager and certainly one capable of managing the squad that he has right now. It would not be a good decision to change the manager.

“I still have great respect for Rafa and I am very grateful to him for the five great years I had at Liverpool. He knows the squad very well and is working with the team on a daily basis. Benítez knows how to turn things around.”

• lesh

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:52 AM

Catchy

Play devil’s advocate by all means but you’re not doing that – you come across as an obsessive who’ll fault anything Rafa does or has done.

There’s an art to playing devil’s advocate and the golden rule is beg the questions to stimulate discussion – not issue provocative and clearly biased statements that repeat your prejudices.

• Rob1971

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:54 AM

Also Catchy Watford may be valued at that price due to everything at the club, training ground upwards, our training ground is a relic which needs a lot spent on it, the whole club needs a lot spent on it due to Ashleys neglect, but again you will probably find a way to blame Rafa for that as you never seem to blame Ashley for anything

• lesh

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:56 AM

RobLeenio

Nice one @15. If I could, I’d heart that post a dozen times

• toon22

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:57 AM

Let’s blame Rafa for MAs greed

Without Rafa at our club we would be up the creek without a paddle this season
    Until MAs gone it’s going to be every season

• RobLeenio

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:58 AM

cheers, lesh – nice to hear.

My biggest frustration is that I’ve not said anything revolutionary, it’s all good business sense. How Ashley doesn’t get it and / or act on it is just beyond me.

• catchy in norway

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:05 AM

I want Ashley out as much as everyone in here. believe me.

and yes I see all the reasons why it should be sold, would i do what he has if i bought a club, no chance, the first thing you need is fans on side.

Managers and players will come and go,

so i don’t need a history lesson as to why he should go.

Also are 100% correct, anything is only worth as much as someone will pay for it, but then you have to factor in that some sellers are not desperate to sell, and can sit and wait.

the house i’m fixing up right now, it’s a mess, because they left everything for 17 years, but they still value it at 3million nok about 300k because other have sold for that. the owner isn’t looking at why they went for that money, but she has sat for 2 years doing nothing and still expecting it. i’m here tarting it up, but it needs major work.

much like our club. he has a figure, and he can sit and wait.

i’m now of the opinion that Rafa was only brought in to tart it up, look who we have, has he been treated right, no, not at all, but his talents are not suited to average players. he is never and was never going to get 50 mil for any 1 player.

but he is just as much to blame as Ashley, he has a nack if buying the same type of players like he is taking a pot luck chance that one might be good.

he also has the option to walk. KK did it, and he is still loved by the fans.

Rafa can only enhance his reputation by walking,

• lesh

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:18 AM

Robleenio

Ashley’s greed seems to override good business practice, business ethics and common decency.

• Jib

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:24 AM

Catchy
    “I’m now of the opinion that Rafa was only brought in to tart it up,
    look who we have, has he been treated right.”

your opinion is shite

Rafa approached us you prat.

• RobLeenio

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:27 AM

catchy, did you think the substitutes fit in with the team well on Saturday when they came on? Who gets the credit for that?

• lesh

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:27 AM

Catchy

Rafa’s record says he’s not a one for spending megabucks on individual players. Check his record over the years he’s been managing.

And, the players that’ve been brought in while he’s been at SJP have been average to below average by Premier standards and good coaching can only help them improve but not by much in most cases. Like all humans, players can only improve to the limits of their aptitudes and abilities.

• martoon

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:45 AM

RobLeenio @21 – That’s my biggest frustration with Ashley as to why he doesn’t run NUFC as a proper business. I’m sure if SD needed to recruit a senior director they wouldn’t choose one of Ashley’s mates he met in the pub or the guy who used to be the tea boy – so why do it with NUFC?

• the ledge

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:04 PM

Go on Jib u put catchy straight!

• Jib

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:11 PM

Catchy
    “I am now of the opinion”

His pomposity makes Lesh look modest

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:29 PM

Looking at the options for this weekends game and some saying we should play 3-5-2 and although I love that formation the only issue I have with it would be, who is marking Wilson?
    I don’t think Rafa would go with that setup due to Wilson’s pace, I would go with a 3-1-4-2 and put Yedlin at the number one spot to man Mark Wilson, playing Yeds with his pace between defense and midfield may work and if Wilson does manage to get past he will have some good defenders he would have to get past too.

God I wish Ashley wasn’t so tight with his money and we got Wilson when Rafa was looking at him.

• Optimistic Panda

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:34 PM

Good post by Rob today.

It’s my biggest fear and a complete nightmare.

What’s knots does he have the club tied in, water tight contracts new owners can’t get out of etc.

It to me is the major stumbling point of any potential sale. Jib said people in the city claim that Ashleys valuation had been met but there was no guarantee of money to take the club foward, I suspect they met the valuation but wanted assurances on the business side Ashley wouldn’t meet.

• RobLeenio

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:37 PM

Optimistic Panda, I think we all share those worries. The one thing that consoles me is that PCP did a full due diligence process and still bid on the club. If they saw the value in owning NUFC, others should also.

The counter to that is that we don’t know the real reason those talks broke down – it could well be because of clauses Ashley wanted to insert around SD advertising, running the club shop etc.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:39 PM

Jiblets,
    The Great North run doesn’t finish at the Gypsies Green anymore, like OP says your memories of the North East are well outdated, just like those white socks and sandals you wear in Benidorm.

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:46 PM

Jail stop being mean, you know they are cream socks and crocs.

• AncientC

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:48 PM

So catchy thinks Benitez was being a “tit” for asking Gerrard’s Mother if he was influenced by money. I don’t know the ins and outs, but it was probably because Benitez was going to follow up with assurances that Gerrard could win silverware by staying at Liverpool.

Donald John Trump has said a lot worse than the above in his time—continues to do so—and yet catchy doesn’t seem to find him a tit.

• ninespuds

Nov 6, 2018 at 1:16 PM

As a long time reader (and yes non-contributor) I am amazed by some of the comments and interactions on here. Norway genuinely gives me a chuckle with his capacity to get a rise out of people. His mind cannot be changed so don’t try.