Benitez Explains Clearly Newcastle’s Problems So Far This Season

Rafa Benitez has talked about what he wants from his team from now on.

The good news this season is that our defense is still resolute and is coming into some good form at the right time and we have conceded only 14 goals in 11 games and only one in the previous three games.

Last season we ended up with a goal difference of -8 and scored an average of about a goal a game – 39 in total.

The bad news is we still cannot score goals and have only 7 goals so far.

Rafa wants the side to be more vigilant in the last third of the pitch and start making the right decision,s and hopefully, we will be able to score more goals and improve our goal difference.

And of course, put those points up on the board.

We are creating the opportunities which is always a good sign but the lads are not composed enough and have missed a lot of chances in the first 11 games.

That’s the principal reason we have so few points – 6 after 11 games played.

Rafa has addressed Newcastle’s problems today as reported in the Chronicle:

“Staying calm is the key.”

“When I say that I am not talking about playing without intensity.” “We have to be aggressive and work hard.”

“But in the final third we have to do all of these things – plus be calm.”

“If you are calmer in front of goal you will make the right decision more often than not.”

“Against Leicester, we had a couple of chances at the beginning but after that, we were not in control of the game.”

“The other games were quite close.” “It has been a pity because we are talking about those 10 games without a win.”

“At the same time, eight or nine of those games we could have got something.” “We have to carry on and keep going.”

“It is important to score goals but it is important to find the balance.”

“One thing we had last year that was positive is that we don’t concede too many goals.” “It’s the same this year, we don’t concede too many.”

“That is vital if you are looking to survive.”But we have to add more goals to our game.”

“It’s not just the strikers.”

“We have to create more chances in general and the midfielders provide more from set-pieces and the wingers more crosses.”

“The defenders too, everybody has to make sure when they go in there for a free-kick they are more clinical and we score more goals.”

We had 10 shots at goal against Watford but had only two on target which is surprisingly one more than Watford had on target.

If we can be both clinical and calm in front of goal we could well see ourselves in a decent league position at the end of the year.

That’s what we are hoping for, and then we can bring in three new players at least in during January.

And who knows we could get a bid from some consortium to buy the club before summer rolls around.

Hope so.

• Just a fan

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:17 AM

I was surprised Andy Cole was elected to the hall of fame.not saying he is not worthy just thought there would be others ahead of him.

• Jib

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:26 AM

Frank Clark reminds me of Paul Dummett

Over 400 games as left back for NUFC and a
    a certain section of the support gave him
    dogs abuse.

Signs for Cloughie’s Nottingham Forest at 32
    wins 2 league cups , a first division championship
    and a European cup.

Ha ha ha – talk about ” up yours “

• Veltman

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:29 AM

Aye Rob, you keep up the good work. Who knows good things are coming on your way one day.If I get fat money on here,which I doubt it, I’ll split it with you just like you want it.
    Cheers fella and all the best.

• toon22

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:30 AM

Yes JIB

Up yours fits

• Veltman

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:30 AM

…..Rob is as Robleenio above

• RobLeenio

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:34 AM

Jib, plus ça change…

Danny Simpson is a similar case, albeit at right back.

• Oldgit1

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:34 AM

@ Jib Frank Clark was very much like Dummett, not fast but a very solid left back. Clough regonised that even at 32 yrs of age. A great servant to the club but was badly treated by fans towards the end. Can see Dummett going the same way.

• carltoon

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:45 AM

I remember Frank and Pop Robson coming to the supporters club down by the station. They were playing table tennis. Can you imagine that happening now. Frank and David Graig best full back partnership we had. I can remember Frank scoring his first goal a penalty I think it was his only goal .

• Geordie-john

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:55 AM

It’s nice to see that Coley is being recognised for his record breaking season at SJP. It’s a pity that he didn’t have the choice to stay, Who knows what he might of done if he had.
    Well Done Coley !!!

• carltoon

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:01 AM

Wish we had a player like him now. What team we had it was a privilege to witness it

• martoon

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:10 AM

carltoon@8 – I remember Frank Clark’s first goal – it was in an Anglo-Italian cup game (remember them?) we were already winning about 4 – 0 or 5 – 0 when he scored and the crowd went absolutely nuts – the poor Italians could not understand what all the fuss was about! 😀

• magscar

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:15 AM

Martoon

Think it was in a League Cup game against Doncaster Rovers recall it was the final goal in 6-0 win and as you say crowd went mental much to Doncaster’s amazement

• Toon fm Exeter

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:20 AM

It was Doncaster, setters was their manager at the time and wondered why the players mobbed frank until told it was his first goal

• Toon fm Exeter

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:21 AM

There was an old shoot article about it on Twitter the other day

• Jim Ileys Arms

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:36 AM

Definitely Doncaster. I was there in the Leazes end where it went in. And yes their players couldn’t understand why a late goal in a six nil win sparked a riot on and off the pitch. Super Frank!

• carltoon

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:51 AM

I knew it was some cup game. Was standing in the Gallowgate Yes the crowd went wild. The song he had was terrible Frank Clark knows my father. He did get abuse Frank the plank. But he went on to do very very well. Proved a lot of people wrong. Great memories.

• RobLeenio

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:00 PM

I see Matt Ritchie has requested he be left out of the Scotland squad. Seems he’s starting to focus solely on NUFC, which can’t be a bad thing.

He was my pick for the player of the season last time round. He’s yet to find his true form this season, but not travelling all the way to Albania and spending more time training with Rafa and the lads will help.

• Swanny

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:02 PM

I was also there when Clarkie scored, one of my fondest memories.

• carltoon

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:11 PM

Must be a lot of very old people on here. Was anyone at the match when Jim Iley was getting booed by the home crowd put his hands up and went to walk off the field. Joe Harvey raced down the touch line and pushed him back on the pitch. Was really funny. I think I just saw the end of his career because he looked about fifty.

• Optimistic Panda

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:18 PM

Andrew Cole, he don’t like Andy…

He wanted people to call him Andrew whilst at Manure, I wonder of the change was because of memories of the chants when he scored a boat load for us.

Great scoring record but Beardo put so many on a plate for him, great partnership.

One of my faves was against Chelsea

• Just a fan

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:20 PM

Jim iley allways looked fifty.

• martoon

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:21 PM

Funny how time warps your memory – I could have sworn it was Anglo-Italian but I’m sure you’re all right it must have been League Cup – at least I remembered the rest of it correctly – not completely doolally yet! 😉

• Just a fan

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:25 PM

I missed Frank Clarke’s goal because I was working but did see his European cup medal in museum at stJames park.whatever happened to there museum.also held the Japanese cup.Petrified in case I dropped it.also touched the faires cup it was in some cinema that had the match on.

• Veltman

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:27 PM

martoon – you are a genuine troll.Please give it a rest.I don’t think anyone would give a shit for what you think.Better disappear from the place peacefully.

• carltoon

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:27 PM

Yes Andy never got the adulation at Manchester that he did here. I think he realises now because of his ill health that he wouldn’t be where he was if it hadn’t been for Newcastle. What a partnership him and Beardsley had. The day he scored the record goal. The whole stadium sang his song it sent shivers down the spine. I’m pleased he’s come to appreciate his time here.

• Veltman

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:28 PM

That’s me being too kind to you.!!!!!!

• carltoon

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:35 PM

Yes Martoon couldn’t remember either. Talking about cups I’ve got a Texico cup final program did we win it. It’s signed by a few players I must have took it to one of David Craig’s testimonials nights one was at the North Shields Catholic club. Ha ha big night out.

• RobLeenio

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:35 PM

veltman, give it a rest – you’re a dipstick.

martoon is one of the bloggers I respect the most. You, well, you’re just veltman…..

black and white armpit, see what I mean – don’t vacate the blog and give this guy more room to stink the place out.

• carltoon

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:45 PM

Rob it’s a good thing Richie’s not in the Scotland squad. Can’t afford injuries. I hope Dummet doesn’t get injured we have no cover for him.

• carltoon

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:50 PM

Just a fan didn’t they have the away games relayed back to the Odeon Cinema can remember taking the kids. It was a fantastic idea.

• RobLeenio

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:54 PM

carltoon, I hadn’t realised Dummett was in the Welsh squad. They’re away to Albania also…. It’s a long way and you imagine not the best pitch in the World.

I guess Clark can cover LB, but isn’t he injured at the moment? Who would cover if neither was available? Jamie Sterry?

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:57 PM

Dummet is about as Welsh as Ritchie is Scottish and Rod Stewart Irish.

• toon22

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:59 PM

Wonder if we ever get cover at full backs

Wonder when we are going to replace Andy Carrol ?

• carltoon

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:01 PM

Jail ya right but he was never going to get in the England side

• carltoon

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:04 PM

Albania and he will probably not play but the travelling takes its toll

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:05 PM

carltoon,
    Is it the travel they enjoy, surely he never grew up supporting Wales, maybe it’s the outside chance of playing at a World Cup, who knows.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:06 PM

Surely he’s got more allegiance to us than Wales ffs, if he gets injured before January then we’re goosed. I honestly can’t see why this situation was lower to happen.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:07 PM

*allowed

• Veltman

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:08 PM

Well Rob aka cnut and fake,good luck to you.
    I’m interested to see how you gonna survive on here from now on.Caaaaaaaw!

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:09 PM

Terry ‘enry not having the best of starts at Monaco.