Rafa Praises Club’s Crown Jewels – Can He Really Walk Away From Newcastle?

Rafa Benitez was at the Newcastle United Foundation’s 10 Year Anniversary Dinner earlier this week.

The Foundation is something that Rafa has embraced with great passion since he arrived at Newcastle in March 2016, and it’s one of the crown jewels of the club.

The dinner was a celebration of those supported by the Foundation which raises money to help various charities in the region.

Benitez, his coaching staff and some of our players – Salomon Rondon, Ayoze Perez, Federico Fernandez, Martin Dubravka, and Sean Longstaff were all in attendance.

Rafa, coaches, and players at Foundation dinner

(Image: courtesy of Newcastle Utd via Getty Images)

This is what Rafa has said as reported in the Shields Gazette:

“I think the job that the Foundation’s doing is great,”

“They’ve been going for the last 10 years, and they have done a massive job with helping people in the city.”

“There’s a lot of support from the club, and you can see a lot of positive things when you talk about this kind of event.”

“I think it’s really good for the city, and really good for the club. It’s a good way that you can see us working together.”

“I think this is something the club does well.”

“There are so many people that need help, and when you have a massive club like this one, supporting and helping people, then in the end that has to be positive.”

“I always have the feeling that the squad, not just the team, is really important,”

“It is not just the 11 players, it’s the whole of the squad.”

“But then after that, the relationship with the city and the community is just as important.”

“The relationship with the fans is crucial. I’m not a manager that will be jumping around the touchline if we score a goal.”

“But I like to be involved in everything and I like to have this feeling from the fans.”

“When you go on the streets, someone is always coming up to tell you this or that, and I like that.”

“OK, maybe you need some time to yourself to relax at some stage, but I think it is important to have a relationship between the club and the fans.”

“These type of things (the Foundation awards) help that a lot.”

“We had a foundation in Liverpool and were able to help people a lot.”

“We do that here at Newcastle too, and it’s important that the club does that.”

“The job that the Foundation is doing now is amazing.”

“In the end, so many people will benefit from that, and that’s really important.”

We are big supporters of the Newcastle United Foundation and those leading the effort do a wonderful job and are often not acknowledged enough.

And Rafa seems to love things in Newcastle and his relationship with the fans and the Foundation – and the City.

For some, it’s a goldfish for others like Rafa Benitez the passion of the fans and the city for their football club seems like football heaven to him.

Can he really walk away from Newcastle next June.

We think not.

We hope not.

• Rob1971

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:12 AM

Just a fan the highest Joe Harvey got us in the league was 7th the season after we won the fairs cup, we got to the QF of the Fairs cup that season

• lesh

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:36 AM

Just a fan

I’m 99% certain Frank Clarke was right footed and would guide attackers inside and onto his right side.

Being considered too old, he was freed and snapped up by Brian Clough go on and win a European Cup medal with Notts Forest. Too old?

• lesh

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:40 AM

Southampton have announced a sacking – their vice chairman’s been shown the door and Mark Hughes reigns on.

Now if Ashley would take similar action and sack himself we might stand a chance of kicking on. Unlikely though as Ashley doesn’t sack loyal employees!

• lesh

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:47 AM

‘But I like to be involved in everything and I like to have this feeling from the fans’ says Rafa.

Message to Ashley – read that quote and learn from Rafa’s commitment to the club, the fans, the City and its people – you might just earn some respect!

• lesh

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:49 AM

Rob1971

There’s only thee and me – has the bomb dropped or something?

• Rob1971

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:53 AM

It’s been quiet for a while on here, no rumours of takeovers etc, I wonder what happened to Peter Kenyon that rumour faded quick

• RobLeenio

Nov 8, 2018 at 12:08 PM

Yep, blog’s been quiet all morning.

Rob1971, in all honesty I would expect that rumour to have disappeared quickly – if he was serious about a bid to buy, he would have to sign an NDA which would have the effect of making things go ‘dark’.

On the other hand, if he had no interest at all I would hope he would come out and say so.

Mark this down as ‘no news is good news’ for the time being.

There’s also the fact that Chris Mort (connected to the Staveley bid this time last year) was at SJP a few weeks ago and the cryptic Dubai Micky hints, I reckon there are probably several bees orbiting our honey pot, without any firm commitment from any of them at this stage.

That’s my ‘positive’ spin on things anyway….

• DubaiMicky

Nov 8, 2018 at 12:25 PM

From what I understand Kenyon was there for his own reasons, (he was rumoured to be making multi millions as an advisor for the Stavely bid).

While he’d be a great CEO I guess, he’d need some proper money behind him.

Speaking of loads of cash, when citeh were taken over Mansour paid £100m for them, and £50m in agents fees/commissions.

Anyone else been watching the revelations via Der Spiegel? Nothing that EUFA will do anything about, it’s not in their business interests, imagine if they tried to come down hard on citeh and a Saudi backed Euro Super League (Saudi and UAE are key allies) was announced (discussions have taken place), citeh and their global fan base would be off from EUFA and where would that leave them? Certainly not at the top table of world football any longer.

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Nov 8, 2018 at 12:29 PM

I do hope one morning we read on Ed’s headline, Ashley sells Newcastle United.

Then Ashley tells reporters he love the fans and the city of Newcastle and wants to work harder on his clothing empire, lardy dardy dar.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 8, 2018 at 12:34 PM

I’ll be finished work on Tuesday and normal service can resume 😀

• RobLeenio

Nov 8, 2018 at 12:38 PM

Nostro – imagine that on Chrimbo morning. Best present ever…. Even better than when I got Starscream (Transformer)

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Nov 8, 2018 at 12:44 PM

Better than when I got the original millennium falcon, god I’m old.

• Jib

Nov 8, 2018 at 12:57 PM

The authoritative Calciomercato has NUFC and Sampdoria
    both chasing Bologna striker Mattia Destro

• DubaiMicky

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:16 PM

Nostradamus, that toy in 1979 was around £20, now it’s £2-2,500

This one? https://images.mentalfloss.com/sites/default/files/styles/insert_main_wide_image/public/falcon%2079.jpg

• c-dog

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:25 PM

Day 5, no let up. Has the man even eaten.

#robleenioblogparty

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:28 PM

I looked up Mattia Destro, he has about one goal in three games stats, that puts him about 13 goals a season in the Prem if he live up to his current stats.
    Being around 27 that seems like the right age for the club, he is known as a quick striker and plays well of his team mates, the only way I feel this would work if we also have a number ten that can feed and assist him.

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:30 PM

Dmicky, I wish I would have kept it but like most kids who had one soon realized that it didn’t fly well when thrown out of the second floor bedroom of the house.

• RobLeenio

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:32 PM

c-dog, you, like me, have made at least one comment per day for the last 5 days. However, none of yours have been football related as you choose to b!tch and whinge like an old biddy.

Do go find yourself a knitting circle and leave the football for those that understand it. You’ll be far happier and I daresay your contribution on here will not be missed.

• RobLeenio

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:34 PM

Nostro, Micky – I think I have one in my Mum’s loft, sadly with no box and missing a couple of bits. Defo not worth £2,500…

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:38 PM

The only issue is with the one I had if I still had it in the box it would smell like an Evo-stick factory.

• DubaiMicky

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:50 PM

Crazy thing is though, we or our parents, never thought to keep them in mint condition in sealed boxes cos they’d make 200x the cost in 40 years time.

I used to have Action Men and Sherman tank/jeep etc. they took some grief i can tell you – and don’t get me started when they were introduced to the lasses’ next door collection of Sindy.

• RobLeenio

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:56 PM

Yep, Micky – this is the mistake we made. We all thought toys were meant for playing with, not just looking at….

How short-sighted we were!

• Bambams

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:58 PM

I was hoping we might sign some quality in January but I believe we are looking at ‘Poundland’ priced players.

Hopefully this is not the case.

Time will tell

DubaiMicky

Just sent you an email

• hibbit

Nov 8, 2018 at 2:01 PM

Bambams
    any small bits you share ?????????

• hibbit

Nov 8, 2018 at 2:03 PM

*you can share*

• Bambams

Nov 8, 2018 at 2:07 PM

Hibbit

I will be in touch fella.

• hibbit

Nov 8, 2018 at 2:18 PM

thanks Bambams
    just when your comfortable that’s fine by me,
    I

• Bambams

Nov 8, 2018 at 3:09 PM

Hibbit

I won’t be long fella….next 48hrs depending on Dr Ed

• geordietom

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:44 PM

i wish someone would just come out and say the clubs in the process of a takeover … by some super rich person

you lot are going on about xmas toys … well we got ours off the sally bash … my old man was killed in a accident in the T/A in 1964 me mam was a widow at 33 had to bring 4 kids up on her own … we never starved though …

was i jealous of my mates getting bikes ect for xmas no as got what we were given …

i wish ASHLEY would give us all the best xmas present and sell up