Rafa Benitez – The Work Of My Players Was Fantastic

Rafa Benitez was pleased to get a 1-1 draw at Goodison Park tonight and it was an excellent result for the team.

We needed to get something tonight after turned out to be a disappointing display at home and a 3-0 defeat against West Ham on Saturday.

Rafa Benitez and Marco Silva meet

This is what Rafa Benitez told the BBC after the game tonight:

“I think the work they produced against a very good team was fantastic.”

“We suffered after taking the lead but we were better in the second half and both teams had chances to score.”

“The players are doing what they have to do but we would be a little bit stronger with a bit more accuracy in our counter-attacks.”

“The main thing was to defend well and create chances and that is what we did.”

“We have to be realistic, they are a good team and they had chances in the first half,.”

“And they have four games unbeaten at home, so we have to credit our players.”

Fabian Schar picked up his 5th yellow card tonight – it seems like an average of one yellow card per game for the popular Swiss International.

And he will now miss the home game against Wolves on Sunday afternoon at St. James’ Park.

Wolves will be tough after they beat Chelsea 2-1 at home tonight.

Let’s hope we can get a win against Wolves and climb the league table.

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match At Everton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Lindisfarne

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:41 PM

“”Sources close to the Magpies owner say the former Manchester United and Chelsea chief executive has been ‘rowing his own boat’ and they are yet to see evidence of the financial support he would need to see through a deal of around £300million.””

• carltoon

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:54 PM

No don’t say that please.

• carltoon

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:58 PM

Why is this coming out now when he assured everyone that it was further on than it had ever been. I hope he’s not moving the goal posts again.

• one fine day

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:59 PM

Great point tonight and we could’ve even nicked it at the end but for a poor finish and a decent save by the mackum runt
    KI is fast becoming my favorite player .never plays a bad ball .keeps it simple.convinced without him in the last few games we would have dropped points . he just seems to have time on the ball and doesn’t just look to hoof it anywhere.
    Nice to see catchy’s spiteful/snidey/ expected response to tonight’s performance , must be fuming we didn’t lose.:) Some fans eh .?

• carltoon

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:02 AM

Yes a team that tries and works hard for each other that’s all most fans want to see.

• Online Guy

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:07 AM

Munster .

Time to time one reads something hilarious on here ..you had me in fits with this gem from you.

“If Ashley sells soon, the frog is going to look like a proper twat, even more so than currently.

Maybe tsunki can defend the bore, who knows?”

Brilliant.

Haha haha ho ho ..Santa joining in there.

• Online Guy

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:10 AM

That Irish interest I told you of ..they are not Irish people . They have Irish citizenship .

Don’t think they are going to be first past the post though.

Ignore the Mail.

• simon376

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:10 AM

OLG
    Really appreciate and loving all the information you are giving us, is there anymore you can say without blowing your cover or that of the buyers please?

• Online Guy

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:15 AM

Simon

I posted an article on page 2 I think it was of the pages that have about 375 comments during the match . That’s it in full.

2 from the west 2 from the east and one from Ireland .

Will definatly comment further if I hear any more.

• Munster Mag

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:21 AM

Olg cheers for your efforts mate. I haven’t read your post re the Irish (ish) etc bid but hopefully something soon. Are you confident? Is the mail article about Kenyon fair?

• Online Guy

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:22 AM

Right Iv got a mixing desk to wire up will read back at daft O’Clock.

• simon376

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:23 AM

OLG thanks mate

• Online Guy

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:30 AM

Munster Mail are just filling space . Not sure if you read page 2 of 375 ish ? During match ?

I’m confident because of my confidant.

In fact I’m so confident I’m going to change my Hairdo.

• Online Guy

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:31 AM

Desk .

• Online Guy

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:32 AM

Anyone got a spare Neve ?

Ho ho ..Santa laughing in the background again.

• RobLeenio

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:35 AM

Chopper watch (belated) update

Choppers grounded due to adverse weather conditions.

Stetson watch – none spotted in and around SJP today, at least by me.

Overheard a very interesting conversation in a SJP lift between two junior coaches. They were concerned about their pay dates during December and January and whether they may be brought forward. Sorry, did I say interesting?

• simon376

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:37 AM

OLG
    Not going to ask you our right and give the game away, but when you say wanting to wire a mixer, could that be at a radio station by any chance? Just with your love of music and record colley? Just trying to guess who you may be and if I’m right, if you could have benn and still are working at the place who I won the kylie ticket from that I mentioned yesterday?

• RobLeenio

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:38 AM

Great result tonight. Not only did we win another point (remember when G2 was offering our two lonely points up for adoption?) but maintained our goal difference in what was a tricky away fixture. Well done the lads.

How did the U18s get on?

• simon376

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:41 AM

On a serious note Rob that is a nightmare when pay date changes. I got a promotion last year but as I started on 2 December rather than 30 November my pay increase didn’t go through straight away as needed to be put through earlier coz of payday being brought forward. Just been for an interview today and if I get the job because of early pay might not get paid until end of January. Mind bet the coaches are getting paid a lot more than most of us c even the junior ones

• simon376

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:42 AM

Rob, u18’s lost 2-1 unfortunately

• RobLeenio

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:43 AM

Oh, and Jib, I do wonder about your insinuation re the absence of Kenedy today – if not injured, then why not even on the bench? Pretty sure you were suggesting he could be involved in contract negotiations. I think I’m with you on that….

• TyneMouth

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:45 AM

I was asked as to my opinion about the Daily Mail,

I replied ; “I think I stood in some once”

( with apologies to Sir John B.)…

• ashleysmate

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:50 AM

‘Kenyon rowing his own boat’?… Just hope he doesn’t sink the bugger.
    Pleeease… not groundhog day… again.

• RobLeenio

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:52 AM

Cheers, Simon – not good news, but they’re having a tough season. Mind, half their best players are with the stiffs, so not surprising.

Yep, agree re pay dates – when they change and direct debits don’t, the pain is real. These coaches were very junior – early 20s, Academy coaches I think, bet they’re not on much.

Good luck with the job interview, from your post the other night re heath issues it sounds like you’re due some good fortune.

BTW, Online Guy is a ham radio enthusiast and (I believe) a music producer / sound engineer – retired I think, but may be wrong on both counts. Definitely a ham radio guy though, he’s quite open about that and his passion is clear.

• toon22

Dec 6, 2018 at 1:09 AM

Let’s just believe everything he says like we can’t remember the pat 11 years

Utter bullocks

• toon22

Dec 6, 2018 at 1:11 AM

Mike Ashley isn’t going to sell

• toon22

Dec 6, 2018 at 1:12 AM

In a few more nth s he will have won and we will be mugs in his eyes

Again

• Bigjim67

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:12 AM

Had a long evening at work so couldn’t watch/follow the match but that is a very good point and could well have been three from what I’ve been told. Regarding the potential sale of the club, I’m not getting my hopes up and won’t believe anything until any takeover is signed on and officially announced. Been reading through some of the posts before and during the game, i see a few of the usual suspects have been peddling the same old Rafa is clueless drivel. Divvys. Hwtl.

• ilovetoon8788

Dec 6, 2018 at 3:52 AM

Great point away from home. Another 7 points in December will get us to 20 points in January.

A no. 10 and left back should be enough to get us to 35points this season. Enough for survival I believe.

I don’t think a sale will go through. More bs from Ashley and his pr department.

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 6, 2018 at 3:54 AM

I hope Murphy gets a run in the team. If we’re going to play counter attack as our main style Ritchie is far too slow. Atsu on the other hand is fast, but can’t do much with the ball. If Ritchie had Atsu’s pace he’d be amazing, likewise if Atsu had Ritchie’s crossing skills.

On Alimiron, if we are so close to a sale there is no way Ashley will fork out £25m unless the next chairman agrees to pay an extra 25m for the club. And any chairman wouldn’t like that idea. They’d want to be the one seen to be bringing in players. Maybe it’s a loan with agreement to buy, or perhaps Ashley has set a deadline for sales talks and after that will begin to buy players (and move the price up)

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:07 AM

Chris Hughton is doing a fantastic job. I wonder what might have been if Ashley didn’t make the mistake of sacking him. We’d likely have been spared the Pardew years, the McClaren years, and Carver. I imagine Hughton would have got the best out of a lot of that talent Carr brought in too – Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Thauvin etc.

• toonbrother

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:48 AM

hmm atsu showed as much passion as ritchie, ran himself to the ground like ritchie , tracked back like ritchie etc
    however unlike ritchie , atsu …
    1. actually took on and went past defenders,
    2. instigated forward moves himself and didnt simply wait for yedlin to run past him
    3. showed some actual creative skill on the ball
    4. created chances out of nothing
    5. didnt completely miss the goal from 3 yards out

On that showing i wonder how anyone can justify the continued inclusion of Midget Ritchie in the side

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 6, 2018 at 5:10 AM

I’d have Atsu in above him, but that’s not saying I rate Atsu. Imagine a top quality winger getting crosses in and sprinting up to support Rondon, chipping in with a few goals. I really think we just need a few players and we will be a good team. Support at left back, number 10, one winger, and a backup for Rondon. Probably looking at 60m plus though due to the positions although Clark Atsu and Ritchie would fetch 25m.

• Nostra Magpie

Dec 6, 2018 at 5:22 AM

Good result, I think Rafa May have Astu learning how to put his laces through the ball this week. Imagine Kenedy in the position, you know he would have put his laces through the back of the ball. Shame if only, but still well deserved point.

• Aces-of-Eights

Dec 6, 2018 at 5:48 AM

Good point. There is a few mini leagues now. Top 2.
    3rd to 5th
    6th to 13th.
    14th to 20th.

As long as we match or better 3 of the teams results in our lge we should be ok going into april may.

I think soton burnley hudds cardiff are worse than us. We should be ok depending on what these teams do in January

• DubaiMicky

Dec 6, 2018 at 5:59 AM

If I’d been offered a point before the game I’d have been happy with that, to be fair we both could have won and lost it, so it’s a fair result.

On current form (if we’d started in August), we’d finish on 70 points and get Europe! (1.83 points per game)

• Lindisfarne

Dec 6, 2018 at 6:30 AM

I took the Mail article to mean that either there was a stronger candidate or Kenyon was in a better position than Staveley had got to, with the opportunity to attract funding. Hence the Sky interview. But that is still dependent on the overall narrative being true.

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 6, 2018 at 6:56 AM

Southampton could be much improved with the new manager. I also think Watford will sink into that bottom league.

• lochinvar

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:07 AM

What is it with Everton and scruffy goals, just like last season.
    Anyway, well done the lads and the fans at Goodison, scruffy place that it is.
    Five at the back against Wolves anyone ?

• dig-n-dig22

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:08 AM

Looking at the final positions in last seasons PL table, in hindsight, with 35 pts, we would have cleared relegation by 1 pt. this season’s league table looks to be panning out the same way ,so I think we would be ok with 38 pts. If we get new owners and they do good business in the transfer window , we should be looking at a top half finish again but this time next season we should be challenging for top six.