Rafa Benitez – The Work Of My Players Was Fantastic

Rafa Benitez was pleased to get a 1-1 draw at Goodison Park tonight and it was an excellent result for the team.

We needed to get something tonight after turned out to be a disappointing display at home and a 3-0 defeat against West Ham on Saturday.

Rafa Benitez and Marco Silva meet

This is what Rafa Benitez told the BBC after the game tonight:

“I think the work they produced against a very good team was fantastic.”

“We suffered after taking the lead but we were better in the second half and both teams had chances to score.”

“The players are doing what they have to do but we would be a little bit stronger with a bit more accuracy in our counter-attacks.”

“The main thing was to defend well and create chances and that is what we did.”

“We have to be realistic, they are a good team and they had chances in the first half,.”

“And they have four games unbeaten at home, so we have to credit our players.”

Fabian Schar picked up his 5th yellow card tonight – it seems like an average of one yellow card per game for the popular Swiss International.

And he will now miss the home game against Wolves on Sunday afternoon at St. James’ Park.

Wolves will be tough after they beat Chelsea 2-1 at home tonight.

Let’s hope we can get a win against Wolves and climb the league table.

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match At Everton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• hibbit

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:10 AM

for those like me who missed OLG latest update 😀

Online Guy

Dec 5, 2018 at 8:18 PM

Make of this what you will I’m just passing this on in good faith.

Because I have an in with one frIend who has contacts associated with first group but is not part of said group I first knew of , I was informed about another group in the West that they are aware of the others interest and interest from two other groups East of the UK.

The two serious parties from the East of UK one is near and one is far.

Sorry about the cryptisism ..There’s a clue !

Also real interest from an Irish family who are massively into Horse racing , Horse racing and breeding but told Horse racing is not the industry they make their money in . Multi billionaire .

First group are extremely wealthy as is The Middle East family .

So is true about the 4 interested parties.. plus a new one to me re; Irish.

That’s it lads . Iv got nowt else .

Don’t shoot this messenger.

Online Guy

Dec 5, 2018 at 8:19 PM

Now this is just my opinion ..Ashley will take the offer of the one party that shows it has the funds to put Newcastle United into Man Utd and Man City’s territories ..long term . For me that’s the middle east money. But just my opinion. If Peter Kenyons group fails It’s possible Kenyon will still join Newcastle as he will be not short of a Job offer from new owners. Again just my thoughts.

• Jib

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:35 AM

The two from the West
    One in SF
    the other NY

The two from the East

and
    A Saudi investment group

The Irish and my personal favourite

• Optimistic Panda

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:38 AM

I’m grateful for Onlines info yet I’m still pi55ed off sitting here wondering if Ashleys pulling a stunt.

It would seem something’s in the offing, it seemed there was last year as well.

I actually felt happier not knowing about the deal as now I’m expecting the rug to be pulled.

Shame Ashley doesn’t do things straight foward

• Jib

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:49 AM

Some of the interested parties date from last Autumn
    It was never going to be a quick process.

• Jib

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:53 AM

Anyhow back to footy
    Rafa will be without Dummett and Schar
    at the weekend vs Wolves who look to
    have ended their bad spell and got their
    mojo back last night vs Chelsea

• lochinvar

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:54 AM

Suggestions from the Ashley camp that Kenyon’s offer is not yet complete rings hollow. Even if Ashley’s trying to pull another fast one by indirectly saying the offer is incomplete then he’s exposed by his own bravado. With three other offers in the pipeline he can’t suggest all of them are not to his satisfaction otherwise he’ll be more than ridiculed. Of course he could reject all of them but the consequences would leave him with no credibility and his whole business empire would crumble. So rather like Brexit get on with it and no backstops.

• Jib

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:56 AM

Back to 4 – 2 – 3 -1 for Rafa methinks
    Dubs
    Yedlin Lascelles Fernandez Manquillo
    Diamé Ki
    Ritchie Perez Kenedy
    Rondon

• bettyswallocks

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:56 AM

A very good friend of mine with strong connections to the Nepalese govt. who is also a radio enthusiast has managed to tune in to an air traffic control frequency. He reliably informs me that a private jet took off late last night from Kathmandu and has landed this morning at a private airfield just outside Newcastle. He couldn’t give me the exact location of the airfield for security reasons but he is strongly refuting suggestions that the passengers on this flight have anything whatsoever to do with the proposed takeover at NUFC.
    Please don’t shoot the messenger.

• Jib

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:00 AM

At least playing Sunday tea-time we have
    an extra 25 hours recovery

• Jib

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:02 AM

Ooooh betty you are soooo funny
    (unfortunately your envy shine through
    like a beacon – been taking lessons off
    Jail have we ?)

• Jib

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:12 AM

The big debate will be Manquillo or Clark
    who will handle Raúl Jiménez the best
    and that Morgan Gibbs-White scares the
    shit out of me.

• hibbit

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:25 AM

looking more and more like Ashley and his PR team up to there usual tricks just buying time

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:26 AM

Jib
    Morgan Gibbs-White is/going to be some player – got it all speed close ball control and can run all-day
    could be modern day George Best.

never mind last night – great result – was there a hand ball deviation of the ball which made Lascalles miss the ballin the build up to their goal

• Zele

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:27 AM

Jib @ 47

That formation looks very predictable and based on recent performances very underwhelming.

I don’t know how players react and respond to Rafa when they have had an excellent game (Clarke recently and now Atsu) and are then dropped for the next game. It must be very disheartening for a player especially when some players get picked irrespective of repeated poor performances (Perez).

I thought Rafa’s formation last night is looking increasingly like the formation he will use in nearly all away games.

I was wondering whether last night’s formation could be tweaked towards a more attacking style for home games as Ritchie, Perez and Kenedy don’t inspire me. Could we go with three central defenders with Schar allowed to support the midfield as he appears very comfortable on the ball. I would play Muto alongside Rondon. Perhaps an unlikely (for Rafa) team could be:

Dubravka
    Lascelles – Fernandez – Schar (or Clarke)
    Atsu – Diamé – Ki – Shelvey – Murphy
    Rondon – Muto .

• one fine day

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:43 AM

Jib @42
    Good links
    The Tata group are interesting
    First thoughts .. With the expertise in ground breaking construction and civil engineering…. Who better to find a solution to the east stand and extension of the gallowgate .
    Would take us from something that currently resembles a lob sides baseball oval to an elite level stadium nothing like having a builder in the family ?

• Jib

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:48 AM

Zele I went for for 4 – 2 – 3 -1 – as a counter to Dos Santos’
    3 CB’s Bennet Coady and Boly – with wingbacks Doherty and Vinagre

A bit cowardly I know but Wolves are very potent going forward
    as Sarri found out last night.

• bettyswallocks

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:48 AM

I think Yedlin deserves a shout out as one of our most improved players. The last few games he has stood out with his pace, composure and much improved tackling. He is now an accomplished right back and if he continues to progress will become highly sought after.

• Jib

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:55 AM

ofd
    Cyrus has left the Tata group as CEO now but
    the Mistry’s and Tata’s are strongly linked through
    marriage and Cyrus owns 19% of Tata.
    The Mistry’s are my favourites

a
    Because the Indian sub continent has yet to have
    representation in the PL
    b
    They are rich beyond anyone’s wildest dreams
    c
    They are sports daft
    d
    They are descended from Parsis of Persia who settled in India
    the same as my hero Freddy Mercury.