Defender Willing To Fight For His Place At Newcastle

When 25-year-old DeAndre Yedlin was sent off against Wolves early in the second half earlier this month, it reduced Newcastle to fighting for a home result with just 10 men.

But we conceded at the death a good five minutes into stoppage time and lost out on what would have been a good point on the day.

Yedlin served his one-match ban but Spanish full-back Javier Manquillo kept his place last Saturday after playing well for several games.

Yedlin is a very good attacking right back, but his defensive play needs to improve.

DeAndre Yedlin – got a red card against Wolves

Indeed, he’s a better player now than when he arrived from Tottenham for £5M in the summer of 2016.

The fact he’s played 82 times for Newcastle shows he’s been a regular since he signed on for us.

This is what the American has said about his current situation:

“You never want to miss a game, especially after a red card. It’s part of the game.”

“I just mis-stepped against Wolves and Jota got in front of me. My first instinct was to try to get back in front of him.”

“I guess I got his shirt, and the ref saw it as an offense. He gave me a red card.”

“Yes, 100%  – I can’t expect to walk straight back into the team. Credit to the lads, they won at Huddersfield, and I would never expect to change a winning team.”

“If the team is on a roll, no matter who’s on the pitch, you keep that same team out there. It’s always great to have competition.”

“It’s a healthy competition. It just pushes everybody to get better.”

“It (Fulham) was a bit like the Brighton game when we had a lot of chances and crosses, but just couldn’t convert it.”

“But the most important thing was that we kept a clean sheet. If you can’t win the game, you don’t want to lose it.”

“Credit to the guys for what they did.”

One of the things in our favor at Anfield today is we seem to play better away from home than at home, and 10 of our 17 points have come away from home this season.

Most pundits think we could be taken to the cleaners today – but we wonder about that.

The longer we can stay close to Liverpool the better chance we will have of getting something out of this very tough fixture.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Liverpool?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

What do you think?

• toonbrother

Dec 26, 2018 at 9:47 AM

toonbrother

Dec 26, 2018 at 9:47 AM

you should be looking forward to the game Ed

If Lascelles has a bad game, you can continue your ungrateful campaign to have him dropped for Schar and lejeune.
    If Lascelles has a good game, you can resurrect your shameful campaign for him to be sold to Liverpool

Should be a win-win for you today

• Jib

Dec 26, 2018 at 9:48 AM

No matter what some seem to think on here
    this squad is different to many under Ashley
    and certainly won’t be lambs to the slaughter.
    I’m with OP on this one , a point would be huge.

• Bambams

Dec 26, 2018 at 9:49 AM

I can see the bus parked up again….

But what can we expect, if we open up against this Liverpool team we could get a hiding.

Some will call it negative but we have some very hard games coming up AGAIN.

Only need to get to January when loads of quality signings will arrive in the first week……Yeah ?

Still going for a sneaky 1-0 to us !

• Jib

Dec 26, 2018 at 9:53 AM

Closing paragraph of Ed’s item
    “Both Chelsea and Everton are also interested in the
    Newcastle captain but Rafa has already said he’s not for sale.
    Jamaal is one of the most important players we have going forward,
    hopefully with Rafa Benitez still at the helm.”

Toonbrother do you just read the headlines of articles
    is there too many long words for you sonny ?

• toonbrother

Dec 26, 2018 at 9:54 AM

I would like to see the same backline that played v Everton used today v liverpool
    Kenedy at wingback
    Murphy, Rondon and Atsu in attack
    Diame and Hayden in midfield

With Lascelles and Fernandez at the back i see us emerging with a respectable scoreline
    Zero points maybe but with our dignity intact

• RobLeenio

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:11 AM

It’ll be a tough ask to get anything from today’s game.that said, Rafa knows Klopp well and has his finger on the pulse at Liverpool. If can pull off a tactical masterstroke it’s our Rafa.

HWTL

• RobLeenio

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:12 AM

* if anyone can…

Sheesh 😳

• hibbit

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:27 AM

i see the turds are floating to the top early today 😉

• Mister Tuff

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:33 AM

Aye Jib’s posting early today.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:35 AM

toonbrother

I’m pretty tolerant of many of the unpleasant comments that people put on the blog but yours to Ed is way out of order and you should feel ashamed to have made it.

• Jib

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:36 AM

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:41 AM

Another day when I’ve got a houseful so opportunity’s to follow the match will be very limited although I’ll slope off quietly every now and then to check on who’s scored for us.

I’d be over the moon with a 0-0 result!

• Mister Tuff

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:42 AM

Could get a right ploating today.
    How long can we hang in there.
    Floodgates could open once we are breached.
    Seeing Liverpool are top – it will be the main football story today we’ll have to endure more TV embarrassment.
    4 -0 to the Scouser scumbags.

• magpie6699

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:46 AM

If everything goes to plan, Dubravka is a miracle worker and we have some luck, we might get away with only a 2 or 3 goal defeat.

• hibbit

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:52 AM

Essex Geordie Bill @10

good man essex well said 100% agree total out of order

• Rotonda heights

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:07 AM

Never in a million years would Liverpool sign someone like Lascelles for the simple reason he can not pass the ball or build from the back. Simple as. Top teams these days have defenders who are comfortable with the ball at their feet. JC clearly isn’t. He’ll do a good job for a lower bottom 6 team, ie a Burnley who are more direct and hoof it from back to front, but he’s never going to take us to another level. I remember a few years back when he was at NF, Arsenal were looking at him but they didn’t pursue it as he didn’t suit their passing style. If 30 or 40M is offered and we have Lejeune, Fernandez, Shar I’d bite their hands off.

This is the trouble throughout the team where people like Ritchie are competent lower PL / top champo standard but are never going to be top drawer or even top 8.

• Paully

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:10 AM

When we are beaten today are the usual Rafa haters i.e. Cathy, Munster, Jesper et al going to beat themselves off?

Good news boys, a lot of hard games coming up.

I’m interested whether the Rafa haters believe we should go all out attack (and In my opinion be beaten by an even bigger scoreline) or should we take the sensible approach, defend stoically and hope to pinch a goal on the counter?.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:12 AM

18 losses 4 draws and no wins at Anfield. Damn statistics.

• Paully

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:14 AM

Yep Jail and those damn statistics were no doubt posted with better squads than we currently have.

• Lindisfarne

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:15 AM

Toonbrother

Not that I support the idea, but would you accept Lascelles being sold if it funded Almiron coming in?

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:16 AM

Paully,
    If OGS wins again with his 700M pound team we’re going to be getting a few told you so’s off cod eye. What will be lost on him is that our squad is so much more comparable to the Cardiff one that he bombed with before rather than the multi million pound one he has at his disposal now.

• Paully

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:16 AM

If by some miracle we manage to scrape a point today will Cathy and the hating crew give praise to Rafa on a job well done?

Don’t hold your breath boys.

• Paully

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:18 AM

Jail didn’t you get the memo? It’s not about the cost of the players apparently, It’s entirely down to the management.

• Rotonda heights

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:20 AM

Paully

I saw on twitter about your loss. If you are the same Paully all my condolences.

On another note I think this is the first match where the outlaws are coming round and I don’t think I’ll mind missing it !! When the opposition keeper costs twice what your starting 11 does, it’s hide behind the sofa time (again!)

” Rafa can have every last penny the club generates” so 98M in January then?

• Lindisfarne

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:20 AM

Always learning, the word ‘ploat’ is to de feather or de fur. To pluck or thrash.

• cyprus

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:21 AM

Can’t remember anticipating a game with less expectation regarding the result. Ever.

But, there’s always that niggler: hope.

• Aces-of-Eights

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:21 AM

Im expecting a defeat no matter what rafa does as we dont have a full squad.

• Paully

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:29 AM

Rotunda, thanks but that wasn’t me, to whomever It was, likewise, has my condolences.

• Paully

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:30 AM

*Rotonda

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:30 AM

I’m bloody dreading today.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:32 AM

We’ll give a good account of ourselves. We tend to lift our game v big opposition. To be honest there’s little wrong with our defence and midfield, although Ki and Shelvey will obviously be a miss. Our attack is a clear weakness, but Rondon is certainly a handful, and Perez is capable of being very good, although not consistent enough with it. Kenedy’s form is a worry, and along with Perez’s poor conversion rate, a significant part of our problems in the final third this term. Those two lads need to find some form pronto, for us to have any chance of nicking something today I think.

• Paully

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:34 AM

At least Jail when we are beaten It’s expected.

I don’t mind the defeat as much as the Rafa backlash on here afterwards.

Why don’t I just not log-in then and avoid it? Because to not defend NUFC when I believe there was cause to would make me as bad as them.

• toon22

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:49 AM

Exactly Paully

There are some who post things from MAs point of view
    I also am not having it

• toon22

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:51 AM

Today we will see the difference an owner makes to a team

One has ambition,the other has none

• Rotonda heights

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:56 AM

I don’t think any manager has been pushed to the limits and treated as badly and poorly as much has Rafa has been.
    It’s very hard when you’re dealing with a serial and pathological liar as your boss. Yes he gets a good wedge but could probably get 4 times that in China.

• DubaiMicky

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:57 AM

Well, let’s try a Rafa Bingo

Dubravka
    Yedlin Schar Lascelles Fernandez Manquillo
    Diame Richie Atsu
    Perez
    Rondon

What do you reckon?

• Munster Mag

Dec 26, 2018 at 12:00 PM

Paully, you must be new on here. If you weren’t, you will recall that I have consistently said that I would prefer rafa to be here long term, funded, and then become a DOF. What annoys me about rafa is his over reliance on defence against the likes of Fulham. I wouldn’t be the only one on this blog who thinks that, and I don’t just mean catchy either.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Dec 26, 2018 at 12:07 PM

Jesper, out of genuine interest, what, statistically, constitutes a counter attack? ie what is the measure?

• hibbit

Dec 26, 2018 at 12:18 PM

Munster Mag
    is that you trying to tag on to catchy and his little group of mackem wum’s,

i really thought you would known better then being tagged with that little group of losers 😉

• Munster Mag

Dec 26, 2018 at 12:19 PM

Paully, also I’ve never been slow to praise the manager when he has had a good win. I’m probably a bit quick with criticism but it’s usually down to wanting 10% more attack against lower teams. Or is that too much to ask for, in your opinion? I would suggest decent fans who know a bit about the game would agree with me, eg Jay photo, beefman, Lilongwe, transfer sage etc. I also think rafa is a really top person away from football and travelled a few hundred km to meet him in person but instead the less intelligent members of the blog focused on the fact that I said he had small hands! I’d rather have rafa in charge today v Liverpool than any other manager in the league.