Time Seems To Be Up For This Player On Tyneside

Rafa Benitez yesterday announced the only player who was available to leave next month was Rob Elliot, who is now 4th choice goalkeeper at Newcastle.

That’s a blow to Rob who has his family settled in the northeast, but it looks like he will be moving on with 18 months left on his current contract.

Rob is now 32 although goalkeepers can last into their late 30s if they take care of themselves.

Rob Elliot in action for Newcastle

Rafa was asked if he had spoken to Rob about his situation and this is what he sais as reported in the Shields Gazette:

“Yes, he knows.

“The way modern football is now, sometimes you can’t talk to your player.”

“I had a surprise years ago when I was talking to a player, and he said ‘no, don’t talk to me, talk with my agent’, but I was talking with Rob.”

“He’s not playing and he’s available, and that’s it. We have four keepers, and we cannot keep him.”

“There’s a point where you can say ‘I’m fine here’.”

“But there’s also a point where you say ‘hmmm, if I don’t play now, what will happen next?”

“So I think he’s keen to play.”

Rob Elliot joined Newcastle from Charlton Athletic in the summer of 2011 and has played 68 times for the first team –  he has been capped 4 times for the Republic of Ireland.

Rob Elliot was our Player of the Season in our relegation season 2015-2016 when he performed so well.

If Rafa allows Rob to leave it would mean that Freddie Woodman would be staying at Newcastle for the rest of the season, maybe as the backup goalkeeper.

Rafa has said the young goalkeeper is now happy being the number two at Newcastle.

Whether he remains on the bench when Karl Darlow is fully fit remains to be seen.

Freddie needs to be playing to improve his game and get some experience.

What do you think?

How Will Newcastle Fare At Watford?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Paully

Dec 29, 2018 at 8:41 AM

Decent servant when called upon.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 29, 2018 at 8:42 AM

I’m very surprised that young Freddie hasn’t spent a year in the Championship.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Dec 29, 2018 at 8:49 AM

Jib, I meant when Kennedy was pulled over in the penalty area in order to stop him making a penalty.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Dec 29, 2018 at 8:50 AM

• Chancel be a fine thing

Dec 29, 2018 at 8:53 AM

Header not penalty at the end there.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 29, 2018 at 8:55 AM

Chancel,
    Do you think with Joselu playing the lone striker the score would have changed from 1-0 had that not have been given.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Dec 29, 2018 at 8:57 AM

Jail, Watford are a good team, as they showed at st James, but I’ve got a good feeling for today.
    Liverpool has been forgotten, but alas my view that we are hard done by, by referees, is a bit more sticky

• Nicky the ball tosser

Dec 29, 2018 at 8:57 AM

Still better than Darlow right now I think. Darlow has his best years ahead of him of course, but at 32 you’d get another 6 to 8 years as a second or third choice keeper out of Elliot, and you can’t hold onto Woodman and Darlow if you don’t give them a real shot at the first team. Tricky one. I think I’d sell Darlow before Elliot.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 29, 2018 at 8:58 AM

Just looked on NUFC.com, won three in 23 attempts down there, every bit as bad as our record at Anfield, Old Trafford and Soton. Not expecting much Yule tide cheer today 🙁

• Jib

Dec 29, 2018 at 9:22 AM

Assuming that the potential new owners are
    American – announcing the takeover before
    the Man U game has a certain logic to it.
    The majority of US businesses file accounts
    based on the calendar year system
    i.e. starting 1st January

• Chancel be a fine thing

Dec 29, 2018 at 9:26 AM

Jail, I believe at 1-0 we are still in the game and the heads wouldn’t drop. If still 1-0 at 70 mins, I think we would have seen Rondon on and if still 1-0 at 80 mins Liverpool would start being more protective of their lead. Anything could have happened, ie we might have pulled one back. But yes, I have as much faith in Joselu as you do. For me he’s a technically gifted player, but does not have the strength of character or the speed for premier league football. I suspect he looks very good (relatively speaking) in training, but cannot perform when the pressure’s on.

• Geordie-john

Dec 29, 2018 at 10:11 AM

I hope Rob finds a team that will give him a decent run between the sticks in his few years that he may have left.
    Good decent keeper when called upon in the past. But not as good as Dubravka !!

• chancel be a fine thing