After we read articles in the Sunday papers yesterday that all could be doom and gloom as far as a potential takeover is concerned, there’s an encouraging tweet from Telegraph reporter Luke Edwards today.
Luke is reporting there has been very little happening in the takeover over the festive holiday.
But he says while nothing has advanced nothing has collapsed either – which is different from the reports in the Sun and the People yesterday.
Of course, we should also remember it was a Sunday yesterday, so they have to write something that will get their readers’ attention.
It certainly got the attention of Newcastle fans, but then there is the question of how accurate the reports were.
Mike Ashley – Newcastle owner
Here’s Luke’s tweet.
Takeover update #nufc. It might be happening, it might not. Nothing has advanced over Christmas, nothing has collapsed. There is nothing to see here. Roll on 2019…
— Luke Edwards (@LukeEdwardsTele) December 31, 2018
The Sun on Sunday had reported that Peter Kenyon’s offer of £200M with the extra £100M being paid if Newcastle can reach the Champions League in the next ten years – had been rejected by Ashley.
And the People had reported that none of the four consortiums trying to buy Newcastle have the £300M necessary to meet Ashley’s asking price.
We should just wait patiently (but that’s difficult) and see what happens when Ashley returns from his Christmas holiday which is said to be in the next few days.
The Chronicle reported that Ashley wants an update on the progress of each of the four consortiums trying to buy the club.
We hope the latest soap opera ends soon and that Ashley leaves the club having sold it to one of the four bidders.
That would be a great start to 2019.