Rafa Talks About His Ambitions – The Fans – And Keeping Newcastle In Premier league

Rafa has given his press conference for the FA Cup tie against Blackburn Rovers tomorrow at home – it’s a game we should win so let’s hope we can get through.

Rafa refused to be drawn on transfers again – but fans are hoping at the very least he can bring some good players in on loan from the continent.

It’s not known if Rafa will be supported financially by the owner –  but there were some noises a couple of months ago that he would be.

That’s the uncertain way Ashley runs the club and it’s a terrible way to treat a world-class manager like Rafa Benitez.

But Rafa got a chance this afternoon to talk again about what his ambitions were (and are?) for Newcastle United.

Rafa Benitez – has (had?) ambitions for Newcastle United

This is some of what he had to say today:

“When I decided to come it was because of the potential of the club and everything. I like to have a project, be ambitious, and first of all get into the top 10.”

“I understand how they (fans)  feel, but now I have to do my job to keep us up.”

“The problem here is that the expectation is big because of how massive the club is. But we are in a situation we do not deserve to be in because we are such a big club with massive potential, but we have to make sure we stay up.”

“What the fans are trying to say (with the statement issued yesterday) is they want to compete, stay in the PL.”

“They have been fantastic for us all season. I can understand what they think, they have the ambition to get better.”

“I think we deserved more from Man United, but we made a mistake. At least we know working hard we can complete and get more from these games.”

“I was thinking about us playing against Man United who spent £400M, then Man City and Liverpool have spent hundreds of millions.”

“The intensity of the game is completely different because they have quality players.”

“I have a clear idea that the main thing for us is to try to win in the FA Cup tomorrow. We know how difficult it can be to win because we could draw the top 6.”

“We will play the best team possible we can, but with players who need game time and who want a chance.”

Time is starting to run out for some of us older fans who are now long in the tooth, but if the following three things happen – we will be in raptures:

1. Rafa keeps us in the Premier League
    2. A new ambitious owner buys the club before the summer
    3. Mr. Benitez signs a new long-term deal at Newcastle and is given funds to spend

That’s all we are asking for – that’s not much is it?

🙂

Comments welcome.

Note: you might want to have a read of a new Newcastle blog that is starting to get some traction – here it is “A Toon A Day.”

• Just a fan

Jan 4, 2019 at 2:54 PM

Re wheelie bin ice baths.
    I remember Chris waddle complaining because all they got was fish and chips on away games purchased up at wetherby.

• giimps

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:01 PM

Cashley probably makes the players pay for their own meals on the plane ,as well as choosing their own seats and paying for them.
    Hel get a discount for buying in bulk (but not pass that on to the players) so he can make a few quid more….
    Mike Ashley…..what a guy

• Ron Knee

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:03 PM

Rosaire Longelo’s late winner sees United come from 2-0 down to claim three points in the Tyne-Wear derby! #NUFC

• toon22

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:08 PM

We’re so lucky MA “saved” us

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:10 PM

Just a fan
    He’s lucky he didn’t have Ashley in charge!

• carltoon

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:10 PM

Well done the younguns.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:13 PM

Can just imagine, Ashley says here’s a goldfish and chip. Yeah that’s right, chip. Singular!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:14 PM

Good win for the U23s, hopefully the highlights (or even the game) will be on NUFC TV.

And you never know, Rafa might think, hmmm, should I stick Sorensen on the bench tomorrow, he’s a fit young lad!!

• GeordieinOhio

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:15 PM

I guess I missed the bus on lol (posted on last thread)

Happy New Year All!,

Sad sad sad days, months and years…as we all have witnessed the repetitive lies on transfers and so-called-takeovers the same old story time and time again…ugh….makes me wanna cry really (and I am being honest about crying) i am sure we are allllllll of the same mind, all we want is to see the club at least compete ….I am 46 and never seen us win a damn thing, I am also aware there are people old than me who can say the something….it just never seems to end (I guess thats the price we pay for supporting NUFC) we are the PANTOMIME CLUB so it seems always a drama at the club never a Cinderella story , I am not saying I GIVE UP before anyone makes that statement, its just so hard to watch the club we all adore go up and down like a yo yo, see fans on here be horrid to each other because of their difference of opinions, why? because the club is in a total SH@T state , I truly believe if we were in a position of the likes of arsenal or liverpool we would all be laughing and joking ……and not so many bitter words between bloggers……so heres to a dream, a wish for this torrid guy who calls himself a business man to be gone from the club we all love, and for a new owner to come in and wine and dine us to the stars!

• Just a fan

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:16 PM

I found fish and chips from the Wetherby whaler very nice.

• Lindisfarne

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:16 PM

Match fitness, stamina and organisation all the way through the Academy.

• RobLeenio

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:24 PM

GeordieinOhio – hear hear, mate – great rallying call. Let’s hope we can all be lifted from under the incredible weight of the Fat Man and his minions so we can soar once more.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:24 PM

I see Sterry’s name being mentioned as a possible starter but as far as I can ascertain he hasn’t figured in any games for some time, is he fit to play, I suspect not?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:29 PM

U23s winner was in the 1st minute of extra time. 🙂

• hibbit

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:31 PM

Just a fan

it was the original harry ramsden fish&chips back then when the team bus used to be a regular 😉

• Tsunki

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:35 PM

I think it’s imperative that young Oliver Waters progresses through to the first team squad.

We desperately need an Ollie Wally song.

• Tsunki

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:36 PM

Sorry jib. Walters. Oliver Walters. Walterrrrrrrs.

• Tsunki

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:37 PM

Original Harry Ramsdens? What was he whining about them? 🙂

• JohnJ

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:37 PM

Canny Fish & Chips at The Whitley Whaler as well but even better at the Arcade in Whitley Bay and a NUFC connection as well as the part oewner is big Frank Brennen’s daughter in law!

🙂

• Lindisfarne

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:40 PM

Leazes Flags ? ? ? ?
    ?@FlagsLeazes
    Replying to @PeteGravesSky
    Pete, it is not 1k. That was a mistake from another member. It is AT LEAST half of the flags. A good few have now been salvaged.

4000 flags have been destroyed

• Tsunki

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:40 PM

I know it’s been casually thrown about from time to time but it really deserves to be appreciated fully just how complete a vacuum in this blog is created by welshgeordies “input”. At best a pointless dribbler of a troublemaker at worst a desperately pathetic throwback from the valleys lashing out at a random town that seems far enough from Swansea to avoid backlash.

• Tsunki

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:41 PM

Ollie Wally on the Volley 🙂

• Tsunki

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:47 PM

It’ll be a cold night at sjp tomorrow at be of those where you hope you don’t get a wet cannonball volleyed into your thought at point blank range ha ha but I fancy us to end the curse of the championship bogeys – Rafa might say he’s not taking chances but he also wants a competitive runout for his returnees to get up to match fitness so I think they’ll put the effort in. Some of these players will be subs for next game without doubt.

• Tsunki

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:48 PM

Volleyed into your thigh. You know what this proof reading lark is beyond me. I think i need a spell at Toon22 Uni. 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:48 PM

Any idea why we’re on at 17:30 tomorrow if we’re not on TV… anybody?

• Tsunki

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:49 PM

Howay chaps I can’t hold this up forever..

🙂

• Tsunki

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:49 PM

Thanks jail my arms were getting tired.

• Tsunki

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:50 PM

Probably buses, jail.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:51 PM

I reckon that Woodman, Manquillo, Longstaff, Muto and Joselu will be starters tomorrow along with a core of regulars.

• barkel

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:51 PM

Jail,

It’s for overseas TV broadcast

Sorry Tsunki, I would’ve helped but was too busy laughing at “Ollie Wally on the Volley”

• Tsunki

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:51 PM

All that tripe and only one ?

Even Welsh gets a heart when he breaks wind and nuts the keyboard accidentally. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:53 PM

Tsunki

Good work by the way, the blog needs tireless contributors like yourself!! 😉

• Jib

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:54 PM

Foreign TV obligations Jail

• bettyswallocks

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:54 PM

Ashlies lies have been exposed irreparably for him now after 11 yrs. of false hope , lies and carefully orchestrated statements to keep us suppressed . We now no longer believe in anything he says nor do we believe we can do anything other than stagnate under his ownership.
    If nothing of significance happens this month with regards to the takeover or significant investment in the squad, then I fully expect the Geordie faithful and revolt big time. There is anger brewing in the ranks and that goes for Online Guy as well . If Richard Branson does not buy the club then I suggest OLG is tarred , feathered and made to stand outside SJP to set an example to others who try and give us false hope.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:55 PM

Tsunki

Go on have another!

• Ron Knee

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:56 PM

@22

Why even mention him? It’s the attention he’s after.

• Reilly

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:57 PM

The game tomorrow is on espn + for those who have it.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:01 PM

Aah, forgot about Lejeune, he’ll probably start as well.

• Essex Geordie Bill