Rafa Benitez Seems Confident Newcastle Can Avoid Relegation

Rafa Benitez has been interviewed in the Chronicle today, and he seems calm and confident that we can achieve survival in the Premier League – even if he says it will take another miracle – like last season.

Rafa may be overdoing the miracles there.

🙂

We are hoping Rafa can bring in three or four good players in this January transfer window so the squad is strengthened and that will help us survive and get the wins we need to stay up.

Rafa was heavily criticized by Newcastle icon Alan Shearer for the weak team he played against Championship club Blackburn last Saturday in the FA Cup, and now we have a replay next week after the 1-1 draw.

Shearer thought Rafa should have fielded a stronger side to give fans what they want – to win the FA Cup – or at least have a lengthy FA Cup run.

We have a terrible record in the FA Cup over the last several years.

Rafa Benitez – seems confident Newcastle can avoid relegation

But we may not have a strong enough squad for that this season – it will take all we have to pull away from the relegation zone this season – even though that’s what we did last year.

But Rafa seems upbeat and confident we can survive in the Premier League this season.

This is what he had this to say in the Chronicle today:

“Our reaction in the second part of the Premier League last season was quite good.” “We have to realize now it won’t always be like that but we have to work hard.”

“It is better to get the points early and see afterwards how far we can go.”

“I think we are fine, but am I totally happy with what we are achieving now? No, because we can do better.”

“It will be easier for us to manage the second half of the season.” “I’m still quite confident if we do the right things we will stay up. Even if it is a miracle.”

“To be fair I didn’t just manage the squad against Liverpool, I thought we could win the game with fresh legs and doing the right things.”

“I was disappointed because we made mistakes against a very good team to give them the advantage.” “We should have managed the game better.”

“The festive games are not just about managing the squad and having fresh legs for each game, it is to pick the right players for a certain game.”

“Sometimes a player who is classed as better in theory, they can be tired.” “If he is tired he’s worse than the other one.”

“If you had Lionel Messi – OK, he would have to be there no matter what because he can make the difference.”

“But if you don’t have players like a Messi or players of a similar level you need players who can give you something physically in a third game in a row in a short period of time.”

The Newcastle squad travel to Chelsea on Saturday, and in the 7 games we have played against the top six clubs this season we have lost every one of them.

If we can take a point at Stamford Bridge on Saturday that would be a decent enough result.

But our defense will need to be at their very best, and we will need to make the best of any counter-attacks we can create in the game.

It will be a difficult game – for sure

• kc2012

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:22 PM

Robleenio

Yes I agree about him probably not meant to be an Ashley signing but there’s no chance were getting taken over before the window closes either way, it wouldn’t happen in time. I also don’t think a potential new owner would risk or maybe even be allowed to put up nearly £30m to seal a deal whilst negotiations are ongoing based on how unpredictable fat ass is etc, I certainly wouldn’t.

Someone mentioned signing experienced premiership players also….how the hell are we going to afford one of those things, we aren’t Bournemouth.

• geordietom

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:27 PM

sorry but i’am trying to play catch up here…

from a previous thread did someone try to say JIB ( was/is ) toon22 ?…

or have i picked it up wrong ? …

• RobLeenio

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:29 PM

Just in case people don’t keep up with the latest happenings at Stockport County and needs a break from the NUFC shenanigans….

• RobLeenio

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:31 PM

geordietom, I thought someone might read it like that, I didn’t mean it that way at all.

Just noting that toon22 hasn’t been on, more in connection with Ed’s message on his last post re respect to fellow posters than anything to do with Jib

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:35 PM

martoon,
    He’s so intelligent it makes him think 90% of other people are thick, what a great use of intelligence. No proof???, Howay martoon are you really as simple as he makes you out to be or are you in the 10% cleverbracket because you like him? There was no proof OJ done that Murder or Oscar Pretorius either btw

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:37 PM

geordietom,
    Aye, it was in the Daily Star.

• ashleysmate

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:39 PM

All this talk about Rafa walking soon if he doesn’t get his ideas into place is wrong…he could walk before the end of the season but it’ll cost him 6mil. ..I don’t think his missus would be too happy tho..

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:40 PM

N’Jie
    Could this deal have something to do with old man Carr?

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:45 PM

ashleysmate,
    How on earth do you know that walking in January with a blatant case of constructive dismissal to use would cost him 6M.

• geordietom

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:46 PM

robleenio cheers mate …

just i think c-dog is toon22… and ED i dont mean that in a
    bad way pmsl

typical jail but yeah i like your comment only thing is the daily star dont tell porkies … or do they ?????…

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:46 PM

Charlie,
    I definitely think old man Carr is in the background and wants things just how they were.

• martoon

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:47 PM

Jail – you’re blinded by hatred so it clouds your judgement but you can tell from his writing style that he was intelligent whether you like it or not. I’m not saying I liked him but just that some of the links he posted were quite interesting – if that makes me simple – so be it!

• geordietom

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:49 PM

been shopping with wife for my grandaughters birthday …

ffs easter eggs in january bit early but i got greedy and bought meself two lmfao….

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:51 PM

martoon,
    Ok, I was more on about your no proof comment.

• West Lancs Geordie

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:55 PM

Ashleysmate. Rafa has only 6 months at most of his contract left so the remainder can only be worth £3M tops. What makes you think he wouldn’t walk straight into another much better job if he walked out on Ashlie?

Ed’s last couple of articles give the impression of Rafa showing a much more upbeat demeanour. I wonder why ?

• OneAlanShearer

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:57 PM

Just a thought…

If Ashley was selling the club why would he care what a players wages were?

• OneAlanShearer

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:57 PM

Rafa won’t walk, he will see out the season

• West Lancs Geordie

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:58 PM

Business as usual at NUFC eight days into the January window with no new signings and no players out but loads of unfounded rumours as per usual.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:01 PM

I don’t see why Rafa would walk, it doesn’t do him any favours. In general, with the odd exception, he is well regarded in the media and they applaud his efforts with the limitations put on him.

If we go down, I don’t think it will be in an embarrassing way where we are totally cut adrift of the rest, it will be tight. We have a knack of picking up points and keeping in touch. So if we do go down, Rafa will be blameless due to the issues with Ashley. If he keeps us up, he’s pulled off another miracle (although I personally think there are 5/6 teams all equally rubbish, which we are part of, some more rubbish than others).

Rafa can’t lose by staying and ultimately he’d want to wait for the summer for a decent job to come up.

• Just a fan

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:01 PM

Yes jib is a miss.he is a good blogger and fine upstanding man.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:02 PM

Jail
    Hope not – If thats so then is Rafa and Ashley playing a game of brinkmanship on who goes

and I wonder if the likes of Murphy was not a RAFA buy as he does not get much game time

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:06 PM

Transfer

I agree with what you’re saying regarding relegation and there being worse teams.

Problem I have is, most of those teams will strengthen possibly even change manager, I’m not even sure we’ll sign any players and I don’t think a change of manager would help us.

Will there still be worse teams than us after the window?

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:09 PM

Charlie,
    We all know Rafa wanted Townsend, Imo Murphy was bought to show he was flexible in the U25 malarkey, he was shafted after we signed him. How many times have we seen, he could have spent that money on a striker, why won’t people believe that Ashley and Churnley don’t work like that, If he hadn’t of had the Murphy bid approved, quite possibly nobody would have came in.

• sima

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:09 PM

Not sure N’jie is the answer, hes not rated by the Marseille fans. Another through the door as he wont cost money. Sure the anti rafa brigade will use this as another excuse to blame rafa for players forced onto him.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:12 PM

OP

That’s the key, what business those around us will do in January.

The teams in our bracket in my opinion are Us, Burnley, Cardiff, Southampton, Fulham and Huddersfield.

I think Southampton might add to the squad, they’ve invested in a good manager (although yet to be proven in the premier league) so you’d imagine they’d dip into the market for a couple of players.

Fulham might gamble a little more, but if they don’t stay up, they’ve already spent 100 million, how much more can they afford to gamble this window.

The other three I don’t see spending much, and when they have done recently, they’ve bought badly so I’m not too worried.

I think we will have just enough, but I wouldn’t put money on it, I’d say we have a 50/50 chance.

• bill

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:16 PM

Where did this £6 million pounds come from? Is there any evidence that Rafa has a contract that means giving back money earned in previous months or years? Sounds like another big fish story to me.

• c-dog

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:17 PM

Jib’s in Benidorm with Jane
    All inclusive

• martoon

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:18 PM

Transfer Sage @25 – I’ve never thought about it like that – I’m presume you’re assuming we’ll buy nobody?

• sima

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:19 PM

think it will depend on takeover for toon to not be relegated as if it doesn’t happen FCB has made the biggest blunder by going public as the backlash from fans will be unreal this time, I fear, and this will impact and put toxic atmosphere at ground for remainder of season.

• toon kk

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:20 PM

I think MA has found Rafa to be out of his comfort zone, he’ll definitely go come the end of the season. He’ll be replaced by a yes man coach, all players will be scouted accordingly. . It’s just a matter of time before we are relegated again.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:20 PM

Bill

Not sure how reliable but it’s been reported in a few places, here’s one.

It makes sense that some type of clause like this is in the majority of managers contracts. The manager walking out could have a huge impact on the club, same for any club.

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:20 PM

Transfer

Aye 50/50

We need goals from somewhere, there’s none in our squad so we need to buy someone who can stick it in the onion bag and they ain’t cheap so I’m not counting my chickens.

• toon kk

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:24 PM

Sima
    I don’t think the club is up for sale tbh, it’s a scam. It maybe sold if someone offers way over the odds, which is very unlikely to happen.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:24 PM

Martoon

Yeah, that’s assuming we buy nobody. I honesty don’t know what we do, there are too many unknowns.

1. The takeover is a smokescreen, we’ll not spend, hope Rafa keeps us up and then spend a little in the summer with a new manager.

2. The takeover is a real possibility, Ashley might know he needs to keep the club in whilst he negotiates a deal and will ultimately spend on a couple of players to give us a better chance. This could mean we wait to see what business others do first so some late buys.

They are the only two possibilities. I’d personally think there is some possibility of a takeover. There is no advantage for Kenyon to play along. He’s a respected person in that world so can’t imagine he’d willingly play along… unless Ashley is stringing him along which is a possibility.

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:25 PM

Martoon.

Transfer was answering to what I was saying about other teams strengthening.

A blind man on a galloping horse can see we need players, preferably who can score.

8 days in the fat man is no where to be seen Rafa looks sick and Is saying nowt, it doesn’t look good and I can see it being another Ashley window, nothing then a scramble for anyone and no one in the last days.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:25 PM

Jail
    If Carr is still mates with Ashley and is still pulling the strings then it spells trouble for RAFA as he is not going to win the power battle.

• c-dog

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:25 PM

Re: Jibs absence

Another source has informed me that Jib has had a hand transplant

• Transfer Sage

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:26 PM

OP

I think Rondon has goals in him. At least as many as any player from Cardiff, Huddersfield or Burnley.

I think we lack goals from other areas. Kennedy, Ritchie, Shelvey, Ki, don’t really have goals in them, not enough anyway.

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:29 PM

Transfer

That’s what I was saying yesterday, midfield is seriously lacking in goals.

Shelveys best is 6 with swans 2 for us
    Diame 2
    Ritchie 4 for Bournemouth 3 for us, Pens..
    Atsu 2
    Ki has scored 8 but it’s a unknown for us
    Kennedy 2

That’s not the best to start with but we aren’t even getting those, not even half.

• bill

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:29 PM

Transfer Sage

Thanks for the link but I think that this type of compensation is paid by clubs poaching managers rather than managers just walking away. I think that employment law would trump any hold the club thinks they have over him.

1 2 3 8