Rafa Benitez Seems Confident Newcastle Can Avoid Relegation

Rafa Benitez has been interviewed in the Chronicle today, and he seems calm and confident that we can achieve survival in the Premier League – even if he says it will take another miracle – like last season.

Rafa may be overdoing the miracles there.

🙂

We are hoping Rafa can bring in three or four good players in this January transfer window so the squad is strengthened and that will help us survive and get the wins we need to stay up.

Rafa was heavily criticized by Newcastle icon Alan Shearer for the weak team he played against Championship club Blackburn last Saturday in the FA Cup, and now we have a replay next week after the 1-1 draw.

Shearer thought Rafa should have fielded a stronger side to give fans what they want – to win the FA Cup – or at least have a lengthy FA Cup run.

We have a terrible record in the FA Cup over the last several years.

Rafa Benitez – seems confident Newcastle can avoid relegation

But we may not have a strong enough squad for that this season – it will take all we have to pull away from the relegation zone this season – even though that’s what we did last year.

But Rafa seems upbeat and confident we can survive in the Premier League this season.

This is what he had this to say in the Chronicle today:

“Our reaction in the second part of the Premier League last season was quite good.” “We have to realize now it won’t always be like that but we have to work hard.”

“It is better to get the points early and see afterwards how far we can go.”

“I think we are fine, but am I totally happy with what we are achieving now? No, because we can do better.”

“It will be easier for us to manage the second half of the season.” “I’m still quite confident if we do the right things we will stay up. Even if it is a miracle.”

“To be fair I didn’t just manage the squad against Liverpool, I thought we could win the game with fresh legs and doing the right things.”

“I was disappointed because we made mistakes against a very good team to give them the advantage.” “We should have managed the game better.”

“The festive games are not just about managing the squad and having fresh legs for each game, it is to pick the right players for a certain game.”

“Sometimes a player who is classed as better in theory, they can be tired.” “If he is tired he’s worse than the other one.”

“If you had Lionel Messi – OK, he would have to be there no matter what because he can make the difference.”

“But if you don’t have players like a Messi or players of a similar level you need players who can give you something physically in a third game in a row in a short period of time.”

The Newcastle squad travel to Chelsea on Saturday, and in the 7 games we have played against the top six clubs this season we have lost every one of them.

If we can take a point at Stamford Bridge on Saturday that would be a decent enough result.

But our defense will need to be at their very best, and we will need to make the best of any counter-attacks we can create in the game.

It will be a difficult game – for sure

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:30 PM

Transfer

I agree on Rondon his best is 9, with no injuries he’ll better that this year!

• c-dog

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:32 PM

Re: Jibs hand transplant

The need came as his 14000+ posts a day as multiple users of pure bitterness resulted in his hands shriveling to buds of rotting flesh no bigger than the size of a peanut

The doctors have informed him he needs to give up his spreading of Internet bile or else his body may reject his new hands

• yogz69

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:33 PM

Geordietom tesco were putting Easter eggs out on Boxing Day mate

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:34 PM

bill,
    It’s one of those daft rumours that unfortunately reflect the fact that people will take for gospel anything heard in the pub or Daily Star, I just hope to gawd that Steve Howey’s source is not someone who read the blog and took OLG at.full value “Steve, honestly mate there’s this bloke that said a take over is happening and four days later Ashley said that on SKY, it’s definitely happening” 😮

• sima

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:34 PM

Toon kk, think I have to agree as with the shite we are in youd think if takeover was real they would agree a fee and release money ontop for new players to try and protect prem status for their new purchase.

Not sure on 4 bidders mind, think Ashley had the bid from Kenyon, Ashley wants to sell due to the new flack he is receiving and to gain funds for high street errors, but bid is below what will make him sell. think the initial release was to try n force other bidders out of woodwork as he tried with stavely last year.

It hasn’t worked so its a case of reduced bid accept or no sale, I fear the latter.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:35 PM

Bill

The articles (including that one) refer to the difference between clubs paying for the manager and the manager paying to leave, Rafa would owe 6 million if it’s to be believed.

He’s signed a contract to work for the club for a set period of time. It prevents the club sacking him without compensation as well as Rafa leaving without compensating the club, it’s the same for players. You need to buy yourself out of the deal. If that figure has been set at £6 million and Rafa signed it, I’m not sure how he’d get out of it.

OP

Definitely an issue for us. Rondon isn’t prolific, he gets a decent amount of goals but nothing more. You’re right that we either need another forward who can score or a midfielder who chips in with a lot.

Perez got some the second part of last season, hopefully we get the same out of him this season as it might be needed.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:44 PM

billTS,
    KK’s constructive dismissal showed that if your boss and his associates are lying tw@ts then it’s very possible to walk out on your contract.

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:44 PM

Transfer

Perez I’m not a fan of but he would definitely benefit with a bit quality around him, he doesn’t seem happy atm but no one can blame him.
    He needs to find form as do others.

If and it’s a big if Almiron could transfer his game to the prem I’d say he’d be perfect for us.

We also need to get goals from the wings, our cm pair rarely get forward but the wingers need to get in the box and get goals. Can’t see that coming from any of our wingers so id consider a winger. Also I’d try for a good wingback for the left, I’m a big fan of Dummet but we need more down the left especially at home or when we play 5 at the back.

Wishful thinking though (sad face emoji)

• Transfer Sage

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:47 PM

OP

I’ve not seen much of Almiron so couldn’t comment but he seems to be well thought of, it would be nice to add some quality up top.

I like Perez but he’s never quite lived up to his potential. He does some nice things but ultimately for me his final ball or shot is often, but not always, too weak or a safe option (ie just hit the target, not put in the corner or put his laces through it).

I agree with what you think we need.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:47 PM

Jeezus.H.Christos, how can any bidder release funds for new players then negotiate for terms, once you’ve put 50M in to new players you then have to accept any terms given by the seller or risk losing your 50M, does that really need explaining.

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:48 PM

Longstaff 4 year deal.

Not sure when, it’s in the Mail, I may have missed it before or maybe it happened today.

Looks a decent prospect, glad we’ve gave him the contract.

If the club’s dishing out contracts maybe some new contracts for new players shouldn’t be too hard as they’ve had practice.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:48 PM

Jail

I’d love for Rafa to be able to prove that against Ashley, it would be fantastic for him to be shown for what he is yet again.

It all depends on what was promised and set out as an expectation. I imagine there must be some deception in there for Ashley to have got Rafa to sign up in the first place, but I guess it depends how much and in what way.

• c-dog

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:50 PM

Transfer

It would be nice to see the manager backed
    Instead of been forced to work with the scrap from the knackers yard

• bill

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:50 PM

Getting out of it, if it exists; easy, go on the sick with all the stress the fat toad has caused him. As far as I can see on the web, trolling through employment law companies regarding this; it seems that the fat toad would have to sue him for damages. The fat toad doesn’t have a good record in court or with tribunals.
    I think the reasons for Rafa still being with us is more to do with his professionalism, and he seems to hold the fans in high esteem.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:50 PM

Perez cost 2.2M. Hugo Viana cost 8.5M thirteen years previously. Please don’t talk about living up to potential. My mate Tinny never lived up to his either!!!

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:51 PM

I remember reading that the £6m release fee should Benitez walk expired at start of the season. Could be wrong but don’t think it’s the only reason keeping him here.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:52 PM

Think longstaff signed a new contract a week or two ago. Rather he be playing than Hayden.

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:53 PM

Transfer

I’ve not seen a load of him.

We need someone in Perezs position or the 10, 2nd striker which ever you prefer who can get us 5 goals minimum and a cpl assists before the end of the season.

If Perez Kennedy or anyone here could do that we’d be safe, I think we must spend!

Doesn’t have to be huge money but it has to be the right player, maybe that’s why Rafa said Miracle, it’ll take one for Charnley to sign the right player for the team.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:54 PM

Bill

He could easily be off sick and that would get around it.

Jail

What’s wrong with talking about potential? Regardless of the fee I thought he would have kicked on much more than he has. Perez is by no means the reason for our current struggle and weak squad, but there is no harm commenting on him.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:54 PM

TS
    Rafa publicly said “in public, quoted, written….” that Ashley had gone back on his word, basically a liar. If that wasn’t true he would have been sacked on the spot, it was and is true and Ashley is using Rafa’s unwillingness to walk as a tool to use against him. Why Rafa feels that way is beyond me.

• RobLeenio

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:55 PM

OP, Sorensen signing was indeed announced yesterday. Ed released an article about it.

I seem to think he turned down a contract offer before Christmas, this one seems to be for £5k per week, I think his last offer was £1.5k per week, so he’s done well to negotiate it up by that much.

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:55 PM

Ronaldo..

I would also, he wants to be here is 100% committed and Haydons mind is elsewhere.

• geordietom

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:56 PM

jail…

are you on the rigs mate ?

just my nephew from north shields is off shore wondered if you know him ?

• Transfer Sage

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:56 PM

Ronaldo,

That article states that the 6 million clause which expired was the buy out for other clubs approaching him. The fee is now to be set by the club.

OP

Certainly would make a difference. Definitely a miracle if we can get a decent player signed this window, not sure there is a strong enough word for us making 2 signings.

• RUNAWAY777

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:58 PM

It ok getting players in but the big question is will rafa play them we seen with a few he does not play them and for them he has played he normally take a month for them to bed in we need players that can go straight in the team.

• hibbit

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:58 PM

I don’t think Rafa will walk, But I wouldn’t be surprised if he did !!! 😉

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:58 PM

TS,
    What potential are we on about here, he didn’t have any, he’s done ok scored some great goals but also done enough for some fans to have a go at him and make him a scapegoat, he cost 2.2M which was more than Alfalmantalfalmiño and he didn’t live up to anything.

• geordietom

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:58 PM

yog …

boxing day ffs never knew that mate…

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:00 PM

Optimistic
    Tbf, even if Hayden was settled think I’d prefer longstaff still.

Transfer
    Cool. Never read the articles, just remember reading something along them lines.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:00 PM

geordietom,
    Not as from two o clock I’m not.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:00 PM

Jail

I’m no expert on employment law so I’m not sure what level of going back on his word would be enough for constructive dismissal.

Is it enough that Rafa didn’t get the expected transfer funds? Could it be shown they tried but didn’t get the right people for a reasonable fee? Who decides what’s reasonable? etc etc

Would it need to be something more, such as saying that Rafa has control over transfers then they took that away? That would be more significant to me.

It all depends how much Ashley is in the wrong and where that stands in terms of his contract and what employment law states. I don’t doubt that Ashley has lied, just whether it’s enough to lead to a constructive dismissal case.

• hibbit

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:01 PM

RUNAWAY777 happy new year mate how are you ??

players that would bedded straight in would be way out of our price range !!!

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:02 PM

Perez has created some very good chances with passes this season. Often ignored as opportunities have been passed by others, rondon guilty of a couple. Some passes not so far from what you’d expect of a traditional no10.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:03 PM

Jail

Just my personal potential from watching him. He has a good ability to shift his weight and beat a man, he also has some very deft touches. I always thought that he would kick on and get better and better each year.

I think he has just stagnated, he hasn’t really improved his shot, his decisions making hasn’t got much better, he’s quite weak at times with either his pass or shot.

I just thought I saw more in him.

• geordietom

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:03 PM

jail … about being off shore …

my nephew goes by the name of T. W.if you know him you be able to fill in the blanks…

• geordietom

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:04 PM

T. W. Y.

• lesh

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:06 PM

Jail

I think it’s fair to.presume that Carr’s skulking in the background and dancing to Ashley’s tunes. Murphy fitted the Ashley model, Townsend didn’t!

And after a year of gardening leave (paid leave of absence), the inquiries into bullying complaints levelled at Beardsley have yet to be concluded.

Ashley likes loyalty from employees and rewards them accordingly!

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:06 PM

Transfer,
    I can’t answer that just as I wouldn’t be able to answer questions on KK’s circumstances. All I know is that KK won and “The board” at the time were exposed as liars just as whatever “board” was in place at Guiteriz trial were also exposed as liars, it seems that Ashley limes to employ liars, hence “all businesses cheat, that’s what they do” . So my footin bet with you TS is that if Rafa called the fat man’s bluff and took him to a tribunal he’d be yet again be exposed as s liar.

• RobLeenio

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:07 PM

Transfer Sage, Ashley is on the record as stating that Rafa and Charnley can have all the money the club produces. Even some back-of-the-fag-packet accounting can prove that this has not been the case and Rafa can afford better lawyers than that.

If Ashley has not given Rafa the tools to do his job, that can potentially affect his reputation and therefore his future earning potential aswell. Not only does he have a case for constructive dismissal, he could take Ashley to the cleaners

But he won’t, because of the nature of the guy he is – a gentleman, one of too few in football these days.

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:08 PM

Transfer

It’s Perezs decision making that infuriates me and why I give him so much stick.

Back heels and flicks when you’re desperate to retain possession and there’s a simple pass on.

I thought there would be more from him, a lot thought he was a bargainwhen he arrived and when he got stronger we’d see a great player, unfortunately he’s as strong as a chicken Korma.