So What Exactly Is Going On At Newcastle – Where’s Ashley?

Think back to almost three years ago when Rafa Benitez first arrived on Tyneside (Friday, March 11, 2016) and he wanted to be the manager of Newcastle and thought he could save us from relegation with 10 games to play.

Fans were ecstatic, and the word was that we have got the man we need as the Newcastle manager and even Mike Ashley cannot screw this one up.

Surely not!

Well, almost three years later we are struggling against relegation for the second season running after being relegated and immediately promoted in the first year under Rafa’s management.

But Rafa seems like a frustrated man on Tyneside these days and who can blame him?

Ashley has run the club since promotion on a financial shoestring, and Rafa has been forced to do business in the bargain basement for players.

Rafa Benitez at the Fulham game

That shows up in the class of the players we have and the team we have.

There is no problem with the characters of our players – they fight like crazy for the club.

But we are just 2 points above the drop zone after 21 games played.

PosTeamGamesGDPoints
13Brighton22-626
14Crystal Palace22-822
15Burnley22-2021
16Southampton22-1619
17Cardiff22-2219
18Newcastle22-1518
19Fulham22-2914
20Huddersfield22-2411

And that league position could look a lot worse in early February once we have played the next four league games.

Here are those games and we have that FA Cup replay at Blackburn between the Chelsea and Cardiff fixtures.

Sat 12 Jan   Chelsea vs Newcastle           5:30pm
Sat 19 Jan   Newcastle vs Cardiff           3:00pm
Tue 29 Jan   Newcastle vs Man City          8:00pm
Sat  2 Feb   Tottenham vs Newcastle         5:30pm

There are three top six sides in there, and we have lost every one of our seven games against top-six opposition so far this season.

And there has been silence on the transfer front, and we are almost one third the way through the January transfer window and as far as we know the absent owner – Mike Ashley – is still on his Christmas vacation.

Why is the owner not taking some responsibility and action on behalf of the club – given the dire position we are in?

He is said to be locked in takeover talks which is one reason why he will not loosen the purse strings for Rafa in this January window.

But he hasn’t done that in the last two January transfer windows either.

Even in our promotion season, he refused to spend any money in January 2016 to ensure promotion even though Rafa wanted two players brought in.

He took another risk with Newcastle.

Newcastle United at the moment seems to be like a ship adrift in the ocean with no destination known – and no captain on board to steer the ship.

It’s not a good situation to be in, and this is the kind of disaster scenario we dreaded seems to be happening.

If Ashley doesn’t support Rafa this month and Newcastle is not sold before the summer, then Rafa Benitez will move to pastures new to pastures new when his contract runs out at the end of June.

He’s suffered enough under Ashley at Newcastle.

It really is a shame for the club and everybody associated with it.

• Tsunki

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:48 PM

Wow I’ve had my numbers called so many times today I’m waiting for the bonus ball ha ha

TNMW – yeah well er thanks for including me with jib, the lunatic and cat by as one of Eds blog abusers, love to know how I’m handing out abuse from where I look it’s usually me on the receiving end but hey ho.

Oldgit1 –

“Maybe this is an opportunity for Jail, Mr Tuff, tunski, to actually talk about football related subjects rather than engaging in one upmanship”

Certainly sir, but I insist – after you ?

• Tsunki

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:51 PM

So last night i refrained from engaging in the post match analysis and in depth appraisal of our fledglings seeing as half those posting were commenting on players who never turned out or whose younger siblings were actually in the team instead. There was more than the usual football-rekated tosh floating around last night, and I’m not counting the rabid psychos. Funny how oldgit1 didn’t include bladey in his abusive poster list now i come to think of it 😐

Or himself, for that matter ha ha ooh I’ve done it now! 🙂

• Sad Frog II

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:53 PM

Lies, lies, lies! Frog the blog until MA s gone!

• DaveD1000

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:54 PM

I blame Tsunki

• Tsunki

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:54 PM

“Newcastle United at the moment seems to be like a ship adrift in the ocean with no destination known – and no captain on board to steer the ship”

Hey Ed you’ve not been reading my serialisation of the doomed rescue bid! We’re ready to board the SS Champion. The Port of Despair is only a few leagues away! 😀

• Tsunki

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:56 PM

DaveD oi careful mate I can get you off Munsters Acceptable Poster list as quick as you got on. I’ve got connections.

• Tsunki

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:56 PM

Sorry for the post buffet everyone, waiting for my car to be fixed.

• hibbit

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:57 PM

………………..divide and conquer………………..

Fakeover going exactly as planned 😉

• ashleysmate

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:57 PM

He’s probably crawled back under his favourite stone…

• crawfordm

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:57 PM

If Ashlie and Charmless were intending to fully back the manager, then the players would be here now. They are taking the piss – and DO NOT forget the role Charnley is undertaken here !! A couple of loans from Europe towards the end of the window if we are lucky !!!!

• geordietom

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:59 PM

where is ASHLEY?…

we demand answers now …

1. has he been abducted by aliens ? …

2. has he been put on gardening leave ?…

3. has he gone fishing ?…

4. is he at home puking in the fire place ?…

• Paully

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:01 PM

Just got in from graft so catching up on the days blog.

“c-dog
    Jan 9, 2019 at 10:50 AM
    Woodgate was also a colossus when fit
    We haven’t had many better center halves
    Done enough with us to convince Madrid to sign him”

Woodgate was the best defender I’ve seen in a B&W shirt. (At least in my era)

• Tsunki

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:01 PM

If Monsieur Grenouille est corrigé ha ha then nous êtes knackered. That’s pidgin Esperanto btw for all you french grammar police

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:02 PM

Shame there’s no internet or phones where Ashley is, this deal would be dusted if there was.

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:04 PM

unless he’s signing the contracts to sell the club i couldn’t give a toss where Ashley is.

• c-dog

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:06 PM

“we are almost one third the way through the January transfer window”

The glass half full amongst you will say, “but there’s two thirds left”. However, we’re 18.5 out of 22 through since the end of the summer window to the end of the January transfer window. Deals could have already been more of less concluded in all that time.

For those of you who cling to the takeover ask yourself why the club wasn’t bought by interested parties in the summer.

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:07 PM

I heard Charnley offered £1million for Almiron, he’s been back several times increasing the bid by £50 each time.

He’s sure they’ll agree a fee before Feb 1st 2021

• Oldgit1

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:08 PM

Tunski five posts only one football related. What a prat

• c-dog

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:09 PM

geordietom

My sources inside the jib tell me he’s fishing for winter cod

• geordietom

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:12 PM

c-dog …

i was gonna say cod but a certain person may given me grief …

the clues in COD…

MY SOURCE SAYS
    DON’T LISTEN TO
    OLG SOURCE = BACCY MAN
    BAMBAM SOURCE= BARBER

• Bambams

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:19 PM

I don’t know of or ever remember a football club that is run as badly as ours, every time we had a bit of momentum and look at our billionaire owner to show some ambition – he does exactly the opposite.

I have tried to understand this greedy owner of ours, even agreed to an extent about over paying wages on players not fit to wear the shirt. But once Rafa arrived we finally had a proper manager, put your trust in him but he is even worse to Rafa than I ever thought possible.

Mike Ashley might be a very wealthy man but nobody has a good word to say about him.

Worst football club owner in the history of the Premier league. Let’s just hope Kenyon gets the deal we all want and we are rid of him – although I can’t see him giving up everything.

• c-dog

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:22 PM

Kenyon not happening Bambams

• SPRINGY

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:23 PM

Paully
    Have to agree about woodgate….when fit,best cb I’ve seen at Newcastle,class act and read the game better then any we currently have now, or had since.

• Lindisfarne

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:24 PM

Tsunki

I deliberately mentioned Saun Longstaff should not lose his place to his brother, who had played well enough to perhaps be given an opportunity in the FA Cup game. It may not have been very clear but I hope this clears things up for you.

• geordietom

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:26 PM

just watching …

BEN ARFA …

just to see if he can play as wor new number 10…

• SPRINGY

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:26 PM

When the transfer window slams shut can anyone see any difference to what is happening now….as in nowt!….i really cant,theres no indication or info from the club,staff, management that they are even trying to sign players.

• geordietom

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:27 PM

MONACO… getting beat 1-0 at home …

• Bambams

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:27 PM

Ffsashley

I am bald…..

Sorry to disappoint you

Grinning face

• Bambams

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:30 PM

C-dog

I hope you are wrong fella. Have you heard something or just a gut feeling.

• hibbit

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:36 PM

Bambams

got to be honest mate i think its just another scam/pr stunt from ashLIE
    he has no intention of selling.

• Lindisfarne

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:38 PM

I don’t know why I bother asking, but why are NUFC sending scouts out this week to see Yacine Brahimi when he has been a target forever and his contract ending is fully known?

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:45 PM

Don’t think anyone can say if Kenyon is part this whole thing, his interest may be genuine but on Ashley’s part, it’s all a facade. He doesn’t want to sell. This has been my saying for ages. Did think otherwise last year with stavely but after those shenanigans it is a complete case of him not wanting to sell regardless of what he says.

His primary reason for buying the club was to promote sports direct. Nothing has changed that affects this, as long as that remains then his primary reason for buying the club is intact so he’ll want to keep the club.

• Lindisfarne

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:45 PM

Some good news – we are on our way to Wembley!

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:46 PM

The role of a scout has to be the most pointless job in the world at the moment. Kind of like a sky sport news reporter a team the training ground on deadline day.

• Aces-of-Eights

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:53 PM

Dont we have a full squad i.e. need to sell before we can buy. Im sure we have 2 players each position.

• Bambams

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:55 PM

Hibbit

I have no idea how far the talks are, I just know the money was proven by 12th December and that Ash had his house in order for a sale to go through.

As I have said I am not aware of a fee agreed but I know £350 million was mentioned. Again I do not know how this was made up, whether it’s so much for the club and so much for transfers – I have no idea, neither does the source.
    They have heard nothing more other than ash still waiting on ‘The buyer’

Again though the source would only get involved once the money is proven – That’s not a sale, just money proven.

Time will tell boys

• Ron Knee

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:59 PM

‘The EFL’s new policy for owners and directors is intended to enable sanctions against individuals who are not barred by the narrow “fit and proper person test” due to a criminal conviction, involvement in two football club insolvencies, or a director disqualification. The policy states that “direct action” can be taken more broadly, for: “A very serious single act or persistent serious acts … where the individual’s conduct is clearly damaging to the standing and reputation of the wider profession and the game of football.”’ (Grauniad)

• Tsunki

Jan 9, 2019 at 7:08 PM

Lindisfarne tbh after the abusive stuff I read someone’s appraisal of how Darlow had performed and started skimming.

“Oldgit1

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:08 PM

Tunski five posts only one football related. What a prat”

Deliberately mis-spells my handle then calls me a prat. The same guy who put me in the Abusive Posters crew. You gotta love irony. 🙂

1 2 3 5