Another Ashley Gamble On Newcastle Could Lead To This Disaster Scenario

We read in the Chronicle that Rafa Benitez is becoming more and more frustrated with the Newcastle hierarchy.

There was news in the Chronicle today that Benitez expected back in late November that this January transfer window would be much like the previous two – and he would get no help from Ashley.

We are in a similar position as we were last season, but there are some real differences too.

Rafa is not as confident with his squad as he was a year ago when he said we would do better in the second half of last season – which we did and even finished in 10th place.

His is not saying those things at the moment – but that it will take a miracle for Newcastle to avoid relegation this term.

Rafa has done his best to alert Mike Ashley to the dangers Newcastle face in the final five months of the season.

Rafa Benitez – at Watford this season

But we have heard nothing from Ashley and 10 days of the window are already over.

Benitez has refused to sign a new deal at Newcastle unless the way transfers are done at the club is changed radically,  and the manager also has much more say on how the transfer money is spent.

He also wants more money to spend so he can bring in a better class of player and wants to know the level of Mike Ashley’s ambitions for the club.

We can tell Rafa what they are right now – it’s to spend as little money as he can in keeping Newcastle as a Premier League club.

Rafa has been at the club now for coming up to three years and he will know that if Ashley doesn’t sell things are not going to improve any time soon.

And even if Rafa keeps Newcastle s a Premier league club this season, he will surely look for a more ambitious club than Newcastle are under Ashley.

Former Premier League Champions Leicester City are one of those clubs reported to be interested in signing Rafa in the summer.

The only hope for us seems to be that Rafa can somehow have Newcastle survive relegation in the next several months and a new owner emerges before the summer.

It will take those two things to happen to prevent the disaster scenario at Newcastle.

That’s Rafa leaving the club and Newcastle relegated for the third time from the Premier League under Ashley.

The more we don’t strengthen this month the more likely that disaster scenario is of becoming real.

• hibbit

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:14 PM

Transfer Sage
    everyone needs a dream, mine is i wake up one morning and ashLIE is gone and once again we have football club that at lest tries,
    not much to ask really 😉

• Transfer Sage

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:15 PM

Dondatta

I honestly don’t know. It’s not to copy their model exactly, just long term you want to adopt a style and have continuity whoever the manager is as ultimately most come and go within 3 years. You can’t maintain success if each one is drastically different unless you have serious money, and even then it’s very hard.

Tsunki

As I say, I’d be wiling to give Rafa plenty of time with a new owner if he was backed. I’m happy for him to stay under this owner too. I was just saying if I had a choice I’d prefer somebody who played a higher tempo game if we had an owner who was backing him properly and long term.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:19 PM

Toonces
    Think ‘the next time’ was a couple seasons ago lol.

Don’t worry though, next time, watch 😉

• Tsunki

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:19 PM

Transfer yes it’s back to that suitcase I’m afraid 🙂 not likely were going to see it any time soon. 😀

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:20 PM

Liam Gibson gone on loan to Accrington Stanley.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:23 PM

Someone posted on Twitter, the last time we have paid actual money for in January was Andros Townsend… 3 years ago!

• RobLeenio

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:25 PM

Bambams, I was being careful with what I said so I didn’t get stamped on, but a wider recall of security passes (requiring holders to reapply) could imply something. Or it might not.

As you say, if it’s just Ashley being a nerb then he’s not doing himself any favours.

I do get the impression that Leazes Flags is a fairly highly-strung / passionate bloke, but that is of course why he’s so good with the flags in the first place so I’m not going to criticise him for it.

• catchy in norway

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:27 PM

rob lee

you making stuff up about liverpool fans,, he split them

• Transfer Sage

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:31 PM

Catchy

I don’t think Rob is making something up. Rafa didn’t split the fans when they won the champions league, they all celebrated and were all grateful for the success.

• catchy in norway

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:32 PM

hibbit

i really hope that Rafa is on that bus train plane boat with Ashley, along with the likes of Moyes Pardew.

these people destroy football.

• catchy in norway

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:37 PM

transfer

like like saying im not alowed to be happy when we win now,, O,C I am, I JUST HATE OUR FOOTBALL.

here is a liverpool fans thoughts in 2010, tell me it isnt relevant now

qadimoon 3 May 2010 11:00

Many of my fellow Liverpool supporters have worngly seen the cause of the current crisis as a clear choice between the American owners and Benitez. This is far too simplistic an approach. The blame has to be shared equally between them. Rafa has had some support and has failed to translate that into any success. I would argue that if you have llimited funds to spend you should use them wisely instead of taking a gamble on a 12m kid who most fans can see will not cut it in the PL.

I was in Istanbul when we won the CL final and Rafa got it wrong again.
    His selection that night led to the 3-0 at half-time and it was only an inspired Stevie G who helped to turn it around. Rafa has also failed last year when the premiership was there for the taking. In the games where we drew he continued playing two holding midfielders. He did not even change at half time when he realised that some more creativity may help unlock the opposition defence. I will not go to Anfield and waste my hard earned money and valuable time watching his team and his tactics.

However all is not doom and gloom- with new owners and a new manager shortly to be installed there is something to build on. We have the nucleus of a good team- Reina, Johnson, Agger, Mascherano,Benayoun,Torres, Carra problaby one more season in him, and yes even Gerrard. Stevie’s form of late can be explained by his lack of confidence in the manager and maybe a desire not to be injured before the world cup.

The future is bright, the future has to be without Benitez

• hibbit

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:39 PM

just think the club have total over reacted with there draconian attitude over the flags a complete
    heavy hand over reaction to the situation,

i for one would like to know who issued the order to bin them ?????

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:39 PM

Lol. Why bother?

• Dondatta13

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:49 PM

Transfer Sage, I fully agree with regards to the ethos/principle/ethics that a club structure (playing style) should run through the club at all levels. It would certainly make the transition from youth sides to the seniors much more coherent.

It would make recruitment at all levels easier in theory. Also the managers that the clubs target would be straight forward (ish). One would hope that it limit the upheaval of buying and selling large amounts of players once a certain manager moves on.

Alas, this is a stagnated NUFC. Owned by someone who doesn’t deserve it. We are a very poor excuse for a club right now, with people like Bishop and Barnes meddling in things that they really should be nowhere near.

By all accounts we have a dysfunctional hierarchie and no business plan other than making the owner money.

With new football people behind a purposed fakeover, I’m sure Rafa and the team (new owners) would have us setup like you/me/most people here would like.

P.s Barca debit (although I don’t know for a fact) would be eye watering.

• ShirebrookToon

Never gonna frogive this to Mr Ashely, never…Frog the Blog

• hibbit

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:07 PM

Steve Watson quits as Gateshead manager and takes over at York City

• Lindisfarne

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:07 PM

Although unlikely, there is potentially a positive scenario where with open constructive discussion both clubs could possibly agree a beneficial outcome that was suitable to the individuals involved.

• ShirebrookToon

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:11 PM

Catchy

Negative towards Trolling Scandinavians?

When?

• Online Guy

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:12 PM

Catchy

I don’t ever address you as I don’t like getting involved with what seems like jaundiced views from you …my opinion there .

In the interests of fair comment and fair play , why do you disappear whenever Newcastle United win ? Only to reappear when we Loose .

Your conspicuous by your absence at those times.

It’s as though you hate Newcastle United .

• ShirebrookToon

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:16 PM

Why is AshLIE still alive!

• firebug666

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:27 PM

It’s not difficult to dislike NUFC at the moment, it’s certainly not the club I loved and supported, it’s simply a giant advertising billboard for Sports Defect. The players are not interested, the manager looks like he has given up, and while I would love to believe that a takeover is happening what we are seeing has all the hallmarks of another fat boy fan scam. We bid below the asking price for transfers so are certain not to get them, and treat fans like sh1t.

Looking at our club at the moment and there is simply nothing positive to hold on to. Shame because I got my hopes up for the takeover, and I have no doubt there will be interested parties, but the fat boy won’t sell, he will add to many clauses to make buying the club worthless. This is not my Newcastle United, this s the fat man’s advertising arena.

• hibbit

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:47 PM

even when a deals agreed he’ll move the goalposts, lying greed man fat twat !!!!!

• jazzyp

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:47 PM

How many seasons will we keep saying Perez is having a bad season…He will come good in 19/20 season.or 20/21 season he might improve.
    Or is it the fact he’s just Shite

• hibbit

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:50 PM

jazzyp
    i get what your saying but honest to god mate he’s not the only one,
    not even the worst of the bunch.

• jazzyp

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:54 PM

Hibbit

Yeah true mate.He just frustrates the hell out of me if I’m honest

• Dondatta13

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:56 PM

Jazzyp… Perez was purchased as one for the future. His development years were fast tracked due to penny pinching. Now he is one of the more experienced players at the club. Maybe if he had better players in and around him he might look the part?

When you look at the goals he does score, there is always something about them, there not bad actually.

I hate trying to defend this club, it’s manager and the playing staff due to the negligence of the owner.

• hibbit

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:56 PM

if José Luis Mato Sanmartín is a footballer i’ll eat my hat

• catchy in norway

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:56 PM

online guy

As i say above,, i love it when win, and when we do win, all i get is insulted for us winning, like the plan is all along to lose many then fluke a win,,

if you go and read any of my posts regarding p45, my biggest gripe was how terrible the football was and how we won by individual bits of skill not many goals are scored with good team play.

we won against Huddersfield recently, and they murdered us footballing wise, so if i was to come on and ask why the game was really poor, why give up the ball to such a bang average team, im told just be happy we won.

well im sorry, i dont watch tables, i watch football, and thats not me saying why dont we attack Man C or Manu, im quite happy to be cautious against such teams,, but you guys seem to celebrate picking up a point against Fulham as if its a point against Man C, and us not having a shot on target, very sad.

if anyone asks questions, we are told just be happy,, dont we know Ashley is to blame.

but let me ask you,, why dont you like football?
    i know youwont answer

• Dondatta13

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:03 PM

Catchy, do you have children?

Have you ever attended a school sports day watching your child?

If said child finished 5th out of 6 in an egg and spoon race would you chastise the child for not being good enough?

I would imagine most parents would put the 5th placed ribbon somewhere prominent in the home. The reason? LOVE!

Yes we celebrate this pathetic club for gaining very single point, because we love the club.

Do you?

• Bambams

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:04 PM

We all hate Ashley but I think Lee Charnley gets a bit of a free ride, he is just a yes man for Ash, he would never get £250,000 a year anywhere else.

Never do you see him at a press conference, never speaks up to back Rafa – he appears to be the entire ‘Newcastle United Board ‘ yet never speaks.

It’s a premier league football club and I know of Sunday pub teams that are rum by more professional personnel.

How we are a shadow from the Sir John Hall/Keegan era is immeasurable

• Dondatta13

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:05 PM

very = every

• DaveD1000

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:17 PM

Catchy 110
    I agree with some of the points you have highlighted in previous posts e. g. Rafa doesn’t walk on water. The problem is all your many many many miles of P45 Stevie and OLG is woulda coulda shouda it can’t be proven true or otherwise. Like the Frog you seem to think that blatting the same thing out time and time again will change people’s opinions. I think most are trying to live with what we have got and the absolute best we can achieve with it.
    TS’s barca plan is what I think(only my opinion) Rafa would like to aspire to at NUFC. No way that is going to happen overnight so he has always just tried to be a realist and improve what we have however infinitesimal that improvement is.

all spelling mistakes are my own
    Catchy’s SAD lamp should be unneeded soon

• Moonraker15

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:18 PM

Catchy @ #45
    You are such an arrogant but ignorant prick to say the football under Rafa is the worst you’ve ever seen; it proves how shallow your knowledge of Newcastle Utd is!
    I try to ignore you and deny you the compliment of responding but I’ve never known anyone print such rubbish with so much passion!
    There has to be a medical term for your condition!

• DubaiMicky

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:20 PM

Re flags and their passes being withdrawn, sorry but I can’t agree with Bambams and RobLeenio (even though I usually do), the fat one is doing it out of spite, to tear the soul out of the club before he leaves it destitute with massive debt and him having banked a billion quid (from increased turnover in his tat shops and by not paying for advertising, oh and selling off (giving away) land etc. that NUFC as a club used to own.

He’ll then try to placate the fans by buying someone that Rafa wants (Almiron), laugh all the way to the bank at what a smart bloke he is (we’re in a profit these last two transfer windows).

How no toon fan has physically attacked him or his house is beyond me, I’d have thought the passions must be off the scale now – gawd help him on feb 1.

Only a total and utter boycott, home and away can help now.

Sad to see it, and say it, but can’t think of any other way to at least show the world how hated he is.

If a boycott is done, sky won’t televise our games, he loses revenue by tat advertising and he loses reputation.

Bring it on, he doesn’t even care for his parents, let alone us.

• Moonraker15

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:22 PM

Bambams
    I believe the despicable Lee Charnley earns £150k the lowest salary in the premiership but still too much for a total arse-licker!

• jane

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:26 PM

“Ashley votes to remove Debenhams bosses from board”

• Bambams

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:32 PM

Micky

I think we both feel the same way, I think me and Rob were putting a hopeful slant on it thinking there was maybe another reason other than the one you put over very well.

He is on a collision course on 1st of Feb that is for sure, again though until I hear it is officially off or we arrive at Feb 1st…..I am still hopeful Kenyon/buyer takes over our club.

It might surprise a few on here, but it’s only the hope that keeps me attached to my club at the moment.

I still think the chant aimed at him when he allegedly had his family with him at the match is the reason he is doing this – yes spite !

I still cannot understand what his angle is though, is he that thick to risk another relegation – we won’t come back up first time if this happens.

Cheers fella