Mike Ashley About To Take Newcastle Off The Market

The Mail (Craig Hope) are reporting today that Mike Ashley is close to pulling the Newcastle club off the market because none of the four consortia said to be interested in buying Newcastle can meet his price of around £300M.

Sources said to be close to Ashley say that he has not heard from Peter Kenyon in a few weeks now, and none of the other consortia seem able to get anywhere near the price asked by Ashley.

This is exactly what the majority of Newcastle fans thought would happen.

The owner would pretend to sell the club as he did in his interview with Sky Sports in early December – when he said he was closer to selling the club than ever before.

That was in truth to relieve the pressure to spend money in this month’s transfer market  – and when he didn’t get any offers close to his (high) price since then – he would take the club off the market.

It’s not the first time this has happened with Mike Ashley.

Mike Ashley – will be taking Newcastle off the market?

And the report in the Mail says that Mike Ashley will be at St. James’ Park today for the game against relegation fighters Cardiff City.

And that’s probably because he wants to meet with manager Rafa Benitez after the game about his contract.

This all could mean that Mike Ashley will now act as though he will still be the owner in the summer and maybe for a year or two (or more) yet – because he will say he tried but cannot sell the club.

One thing he can do to please Newcastle fans is to sign Rafa Benitez up for the long term and give the man some money to spend.

But given the way he has treated our manager – it’s unlikely that Rafa will want to stay at a club run by Ashley unless Benitez gets cast iron promises from the owner in writing.

Given Ashley’s past history that’s just not going to happen.

And there could be demonstrations against the owner even today so we must win this game this afternoon against Cardiff City.

We need good news from somewhere because this not good news for the fans.

Our dreams for Newcastle are being squashed – once again.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Cardiff City?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:04 PM

Surprise Surprise Surprise

• c-dog

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:06 PM

toon22 right all along

Kenyon a bum

• SPRINGY

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:06 PM

Wise return? ….probs bull,so can we believe the next day the supposed takeover is off…if it was on in the first place? ….paper tittle-tattle and bollicks…until theres a club statement…not worth thinking about it tbh…need the points 2day… confident display and a few goals to try and get some momentum goin.

• geordiemark

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:09 PM

well if I was rafa I know what id be saying to Ashley and it wouldn’t be polite that’s for damn sure

• geordiemark

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:09 PM

c-dog

aye spot on

• Transfer Sage

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:09 PM

C-dog

Not sure if Kenyon is a bum or not, I gut be Ashley making totally unrealistic demands and clauses in any deal. That’s where I’d have my money.

I also don’t see why he’d take us off the market, surely you just step up trying to find interest elsewhere if he genuinely wanted to sell.

The whole thing stinks of being totally fabricated to appease fans. Typical Ashley.

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:10 PM

It’s all about the game today, no point getting bent out of shape at what we already suspected.

Use your rage at the match to support the team then vent your frustrations after 90mins!

Fcuk Ashley!

• geordiemark

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:10 PM

I think all the fans in the ground should point straight at Ashley in the directors box and shout get out of our club, he wouldn’t know what to do with himself

• Transfer Sage

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:11 PM

Geordie mark

If I was Rafa I’d know what I’d be doing if I was leaving in the summer not that the take over is off.

I’d try my best to give the fans something to remember. I’d have my strongest 11 out in the cup games and make of point if resting the full 11 in league games. Make Ashley make a move if he has the balls.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:13 PM

Should read, now that the take over is off

• beefman13

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:14 PM

The knife is in, time for the twist.

• Bambams

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:14 PM

GeordieMark

The bloke is so greedy though for money, I was told a couple of days ago he had resigned himself that no takeover was happening and I sort of hinted on here.

But I was hoping it was just his way of a final hurrah in the hope to get a bit more.

Why announce it now and not the last day of this month.

I just cannot work the bloke out, he said in one of his interviews “I have made mistakes I know, sorry to this one and that one “…..But he is making them all again !

How can anyone be so thick and not realise their mistakes over and over.

Cheers mate

• carltoon

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:15 PM

Geordie mark he just laughs it off. I think he loves it. Evil man what he is. I’m on my way now. to support my team.

• carltoon

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:16 PM

He might own the club but it will never be his.

• Hugh Jorgan

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:16 PM

Craig Hope on Twitter
    ?
    @CraigHope_DM
    Exclusive: Mike Ashley close to conceding defeat in effort to sell NUFC. None of interested parties able to fund deal & Kenyon gone quiet. Ashley set to be at SJP today & is making plans on assumption he’ll remain owner. Dennis Wise NOT involved with club https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6609903/Mike-Ashley-preparing-accept-defeat-mission-sell-Newcastle.html

• DubaiMicky

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:16 PM

What I can’t fathom out is why the so called suitors pay out shed loads of cash to lawyers and accountants to go through the books.
    And then they either bid very low or not at all.
    Unless what ashLIE is selling and what they perceive themselves to buying, are poles apart.

• Toonale tippler

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:18 PM

I got a feeling………

• Transfer Sage

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:19 PM

DubaiMickey

Not too sure to be honest. I presume they enter into negotiations in good faith but then Ashley tags on clauses that aren’t suitable.

However I think every man and his dog could tell you Ashley would expect at least £300 mil so if you don’t have that, why bother negotiating.

I’m coming round to the idea that many have raised here, the whole thing is PR to try and appease fans and potentially tie the manager to a new contract. Just a guess though.

• SA Toon

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:19 PM

I’m as disappointed as anyone that MA looks to be staying on, but this time it doesn’t really seem to be his fault. Everyone has known the price for some time now, and the problem seems to be simply that none of the buyers have the necessary funds. Can’t say I was too enthusiastic about a new owner who can’t scrape together much more than £200 million. Massively disappointing though!!

• BlacknWhiteBarmy

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:19 PM

Al those supporting the team today – remember where your hard earned cash is going!

• Bowjaw

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:19 PM

What on earth was that open letter all about then. What a load of sh##. Our club is like a soap opera, I’m not going today and I might never go again until he is gone.

• Toonale tippler

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:20 PM

3 points and a great performance.
    2 for Rondon, 2 elsewhere.
    Toon 4 Cardiff 1

• geordiemark

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:21 PM

Bambams

aye know what you mean there, what I cant understand really about why hes said this just past half way through January transfer window still open I reckon he would love to think the fans would say well no takeover signing some quality players to safe guard our place in the league yes but all in all I reckon its not I think hes winding us up like a clock constantly and when the fans have had enough and vent there anger then god help him because hes never seen the fans kick off big style but come the first of February I reckon he will then

• Jib

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:23 PM

There are some very muddled thinkers on here.

If the sale was a ruse to avoid paying for players
    in the transfer window – surely Ashley would have
    waited until February to release this info.

• geordietom

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:23 PM

look at it this way at least we have a takeover to look forward to in the summer …

• Transfer Sage

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:24 PM

Bowjow

I just can’t understand it. There are so many questions.

If he has no plan to sell, sure the short term benefit from the PR stunt will be massively undone and not worth the fallout when he doesn’t sell.

Why would Kenyon ruin his reputation for Ashley and allow himself to be used, wasting a fortune on lawyers fees in the process? If he ever has genuine interest then surely any backers would think twice if he was part of a fakeover.

If Ashley wants to keep us to advertise in the premier league, why isn’t he using some of the clubs money to try and secure that. Won’t a relegation and squad revamp cost significantly more?

There’s just so much rubbish gone on since Ashley came here it’s impossible to know where the truth is. I just know anything out of this mouth is the last thing I trust.

• geordietom

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:25 PM

me being sarcastic…

• Bambams

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:25 PM

GeordieMark

Winding us up….It’s working mate.

There is a whole generation of fans that have seen our club simply scraping by to get to 38+ points year after year or trying to get promoted – because of this greedy man.

Most loyal fans in the world.

Our club will last, he won’t.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:27 PM

Jib

I thought they but maybe he’s got to the end of the line. There’s only so many times he can extend the deadline of the sale. It’s been end of the week for about 3-4 weeks now.

We could still have the classic line of the takeover caused delays and now we don’t have chance to get deals over the line.

I honestly have no clue where the truth lies, it’s just speculation from me.

• BlacknWhiteBarmy

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:28 PM

Jib – he hasn’t announced it …… not yet anyway – its press talk but they do tend to know whats goin on.

• Mag :P

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:29 PM

Cmon online guy, we could all do with some reassurance here.

What’s your ‘source’ saying?

• geordietom

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:30 PM

bambams …

crack open your kestrel larger mate bit early for your birthday i know …

question How do we know this new bombshell is TRUE we dont …

• geordiemark

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:31 PM

Mag 😛

and what source is that ……………….. tomatoe sauce or brown 🙂

• Keith G

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:31 PM

I guess we will never know the truth re the sale unless Kenyon comes out and says he couldn’t raise the funds or any other interested party for that matter.

It just shows that all these reports in the media about ‘letters been sent from Kenyon ‘ and preferred bidder etc are a load of tosh .

I really hope we win today!

• Ffsashley

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:32 PM

Well it’s looking more and more like OLG and BamBambs have been making little stories up in their heads Again dummies

• Bladey

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:32 PM

Good news on big Mike we should see at least 5 more years of his tenure pity RAFA cannot stay and try to get us back up to the premier next season he would find it much easier as he can use two strikers against Portsmouth and Luton maybe even a derby to look forward too
    So it’s not all bad maybe Mike will freeze season ticket sales
    Cannot stand DENNIS though
    Anyway good luck to the boys today those taffies will make it difficult today 1-0 to who I don’t know
    ASH IN RAFA IN

• Bowjaw

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:32 PM

I feel like the whole Geordie nation is Dan Akroyd character in Trading Places.

I

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:33 PM

As I said yesterday, spent the night in Newcastle, wor lass went home at 11 so I went to see Stan and Ollie at the Tyneside cinema to kill a couple of hours before the match. There was footage of the two of them in a visit to Tynemouth in 1932, a 20 year old Jib was seen giving them ice cream and cigarettes, he claimed to be Jib anyhow, had a wig, scraggly beard and a funny looking corset, so I think he was telling the truth (for a change)

• geordiemark

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:33 PM

Transfer Sage

you’ve made a good point there with rafa, that’s what id do just to miff Ashley put out a full attacking team