web analytics

Defender Explains What It Took For His Amazing Return To First Team Football

The Shields Gazette today have an excellent interview with center-back Florian Lejeune who is now back in the first team and playing like he’s never been away this season.

Florian picked up an ACL knee injury in late July and was operated on in Rome by world-famous surgeon Professor Paolo Mariani in August.

Under his guidance for the first month or two of recovery, Florian worked hard in Rome and then back in Newcastle.

He was back playing for the Newcastle U23 team after just four months

And now he is back in the Newcastle team as first choice and has played well for us since he returned.

He played on the left-hand side of the back three yesterday and put in a strong performance; he showed what an excellent defender he is – we’ve missed him.

Here’s a tweet he sent out yesterday after the huge 3-0 win against Cardiff – he’s alongside two-goal hero and fellow center-back Fabian Schar.

This is what Florian has said in the Shields Gazette today:

“This is definitely the most difficult obstacle I’ve had to deal with in my career,”

“I’d had no major injuries, so it was very hard, very difficult. “But, at the end of the day, I’m not unhappy to have gone through it.”

“I had to work hard on my mental state and, having done that, it’s made me a lot stronger.” “It’s not something I wanted to do, but it’s made me a lot stronger.”

“It usually takes six to nine months before you can play, but I played after four months with the U-23s and then with the first team after five months.”

“So, yes, it has felt quite quick.”

“I was just very happy to get back on the field. I was satisfied with my game overall – especially so because I had no problems with my knee at all.”

“That’s a very difficult question (is he 100% fit?), because I feel 100% fit.”

“But I know that I’m going to have to play in some more matches in order to get up to the same level of fitness that I had last year.”

“I’ve missed out on five months of competition, and you know the team needs to be winning and needs to get more points.”

“What we need now is for everyone to do their best, and everyone work well together.”

It’s a testament to Florian’s character, temperament, and courage that he has come back into the side so soon and has seemed to stroll through the games.

The Frenchman has shown what an excellent buy he was at around £8M from Spanish club Eibar.

It’s great to have him back in the side.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Cardiff?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• DubaiMicky

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:31 PM

I don’t get ashLIE taking over stores, I really don’t. Other than, he owns all the stock (as the last owners went bust), and he has retail sites that he can re-negotiate leases from the landlords (none of his acquisitions owned anything).

So he buys a name, a shed load of stock at 5p in the pound, sells it all, refuses to continue to rent the “prime sites on the high street”

Then what?He owns a name, nothing more, but the stock he bought for a pittance made sure he made a fortune.

Rinse, repeat.

Now I’m a capitalist but that is way too far for even me, what about the bairns?

• SPRINGY

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:32 PM

Jib
    I wish i had the bloody numbers for my sell! Lol…time yet spurs myt do us a favour,like i said earlier tho…just a gut feeling…with spurs missing a couple of players.

• SPRINGY

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:35 PM

On a lighter note with jib mentioning the date of the 21st of maybe being of importance for one reason or another… Ashley’s meeting with rafa myt of been to tell him that there will be an announcement the morra he’s leaving,club has been sold and ashley is saying fond farewells…..whats that aerosmith song……dream on… isn’t it? Lol

• Jib

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:38 PM

DubaiMicky
    He’s going to convert all the stores into bars
    with the back wall lined with various designs
    of fireplaces
    He’s got the idea from ancient Rome – every
    house then had a “vomitarium”

• Jib

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:40 PM

All of a sudden Fulham look like a proper
    Ranieri side

• toon22

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:41 PM

JIB mentioned the 21st as that’s likely to be the date set by the PR
    The 24th is when they start in parliament

I’m sure KBA will have something planned before that to hide it

Hiya

• Jib

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:41 PM

Mitro offside
    but a great move

• Jib

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:46 PM

• bettyswallocks

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:46 PM

Aye he’s a wily old fox that Ranieri, I wouldn’t write them off just yet.

• lesh

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:50 PM

Fulham 1-0

And

The Daily Heil’s reporting SD dumped Bishop as its PR but….… specuating appointin him, Barnes and Wise as the board of NUFC!

Can he ever get anything right at NUFC? His decisions beggar belief!

• Toonces

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:50 PM

Sage

Agree longstaff deserves to keep his place ahead of shelvey and diama, but does hayden deserve to keep his? I think he was ok yesterday but still think his head is somewhere else.

• SPRINGY

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:50 PM

Jib
    Aye thats the one…crackin band, great tune…. should be geordie anthem instead of blaydon races or local heroe….rather suitable!Lol

• cyprus

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:51 PM

Very impressed by Fulham. Mitro scored, but offside, should’ve had a penalty. Certainly better than the other team in blue (or whatever).

Anyway, is Spurs one of our upcoming games? We must at least give ourselves a chance.

In fact, we must chase points out of every game. Goal difference is nice. Points nicer.

• Toonces

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:51 PM

Spurs are going to struggle while they try to figure out how to play without Kane and Son. Now is a good time to play them.

• Toonces

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:52 PM

We have spurs on Feb 2.

• Toonces

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:54 PM

Kane and Son (likely) will see till be put. Son might be back if South Korea doesnt mak were the Asian cup final. Mind you we’d get Ki back as well but I’d take missing Ki if it means they don’t have Son

• cyprus

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:55 PM

Bettys,
    Know what you mean, but hope they’re write-offs. Given the quality of our mini league, I’d take our current position, with just those three under us.

• Toonces

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:56 PM

Cant type for nothing today 🙂

• SPRINGY

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:57 PM

Toonces
    I believe its the first time we’ve scored 3 at home and kept a clean sheet in donkeys so i would keep the team as is..
    1,the players deserve the chance,
    2,myt give the likes diame,ki and shelvey a little boot up the hoop the up there game.
    3,2 of those 3 are just returning from injury if they come back to quick they myt pull up and be out even longer….just my opinion like.

• Jib

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:59 PM

lesh
    before you pop a blood vessel
    If you’d taken time to read posts
    on here (idle old twat) you would
    have seen a denial by Wise that
    he’s reconnected with NUFC

• Bambams

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:00 PM

Lesh

I just skated over Twitter before but I think there is a tweet from poison dwarf himself saying his links back at the club are incorrect.

• SPRINGY

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:01 PM

Jib
    I couldn’t get that link that was put up to work for whatever reason,so maybe lesh had same problem mate.

• Jib

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:02 PM

A draw in this game would be just fine

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:03 PM

cyprus,
    I think it is very interesting that the majority of the posters who are anti Rafa used to be strong supporters of Mike Ashley’s policies, a bit like South American Nazi’s 😮

• Jib

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:03 PM

Shame you couldn’t Springy
    some of the comments were ace

• Bladey

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:05 PM

Bit late today but
    Day 20
    No takeover No transfers
    All going to plan
    ASH IN RAFA IN

• cyprus

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:06 PM

Toonces,
    Hayden was alright yesterday. Did a lot of the dirty work, helped stifle them and make them look poor. Totally professional, run his socks off, despite wanting away.

I’m not much of a fan of Shelvey, though respect for the occasional Hollywood pass. Still, good that we have four people competing for those couple places.

Though we still need a creative 8-10.

• Jib

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:08 PM

Phew

• beermonkey

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:09 PM

is there anything in the rumour of joselu to china

seems to me we are well stocked in the cb dept and when ki is back in centre mid with longstaff doing ok

so for ashley bingo ( where he sells at the end of the window so he doesnt have to spend the cash)

my picks will be laschelles and shelvey

• SPRINGY

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:11 PM

Jib
    Just went back and had another look at that link it worked,some very funny things on there….really tearing him a new one…the pic of ashley,wise,rio and keys at there weekend retreat really had me laughing like! Lol

• SPRINGY

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:13 PM

Beer
    Apparently its came from italian and chinese media so could be bollicks…went quiet since it was mentioned this morning tbh.

• OneAlanShearer

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:14 PM

So Ashley buying hmv…. say goodbye to signing any players. How can sky let this happen, where do they think he will get the cash to fund it.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:16 PM

Toonces

I’d keep Hayden in, but it all depends if he can maintain focus when he wants to leave. He looked ok doing they yesterday but I’ll trust Rafas judgement on that one.

Jail

There wasnt too much difference, it was just we seemed to try and get forward in greater numbers and more often. We looked more imposing than in some games.

Saying it’s a better mentality by me may be wrong. We may have tried that against Fulham and they were just better than Cardiff, or a couple of our lads had off days, etc. A big part of it is when the ball sticks with Perez and Rondon. Some days it does, some it doesn’t.

Given or players are just steady prem league players, they will have plenty of off days as that is their ability. Ultimately the blame lies with Ashley.

• toon22

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:17 PM

Wonder why we get no decisions from refs and a terrible fixture list ?

They want him out of their league

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:18 PM

“often using complex financial instruments to build his stakes”

• beermonkey

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:21 PM

springy

i imagine it is fake who wants a striker that dont score

• DaveD1000

7) HMV
    8) Fray Bentos

#NUFC #AshleyOut

5:17 PM – 20 Jan 2019

• SPRINGY

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:22 PM

Beer….whey someones gotta make the cuppas at haif time! Lol

• Ron Knee

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:29 PM

The only time I’ve been to Craven Cottage they were playing Spurs. Alan Mullery had a good game.

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:30 PM

Beer@29

If it meant we got a decent 10 a attacking LB and Almiron I wouldn’t mind losing Shelvey, Lascelles id be more upset, you could throw Hayden in though.

1 2 3 8