Rafa Reveals Surprise About Newcastle Star Player

Rafa Benitez always does his homework thoroughly before each transfer list and comes up with his targets for each position – in priority order.

As we are finding out this month, Rafa may not get many of his top targets through the door although we still have a decent chance f buying Miguel Almiron if Newcastle increase their initial £17M for the
Paraguayan International playmaker.

After the fantastic Man of the Match performance of Fabian Schar on Saturday in the crucial relegation battle with Cardiff – Rafa has revealed he was the top center-back target for Newcastle last summer.

It wasn’t Federico Fernandez either – who was brought in to fill in for the injured Florian Lejeune – and has also played well for the club.

Rafa wanted a ball playing center-back last summer, and he seems to have brought in an excellent one in Fabian Schar who looks a goal threat too – with his brilliant two goals on Saturday.

Fabian Schar – after scoring on Saturday

Rafa found out about Schar’s relegation release clause of €3.5M in his contract and once Deportivo were relegated he snapped him up – and he’s been another bargain basement buy for Newcastle.

Fabian is an extremely popular player in his native Switzerland, and he seems to be just as popular at Newcastle.

This is how Benitez explained how he signed Schar this summer:

“He cost €3.5M (about £3.0M).”

“I knew him when he was at Basel – but also when he was at Deportivo La Coruna.”

“I have some friends there and they told me about the relegation release clause, and we started analyzing things.”

“I would be lying if I said he was always the first target, but we knew he could come in and help.”

“We knew he had experience and had some quality on the ball, especially with his right foot.”

“He has done really well. We have some really good center-backs.”

Sometimes players further down the list turn out to be top signings – and it looks like we have one in Fabian Schar.

The back line has improved with Newcastle now playing with two ball-playing center-backs in Fabian Schar and Florian Lejeune.

With captain Jamaal Lascelles playing in the center with Florian on the left and Fabian on the right – they looked solid all game long on Saturday with Matt Ritchie and Christian Atsu the two wing-backs.

We also have center-backs Federico Fernandez and Ciaran Clark who have both performed well at the back when they have played this season.

We are solid at center-back now – as Rafa points out

• Jib

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:36 PM

Alejandro Moreno said he feared Almiron was too slightly built
    for the PL but he did have season playing for Buenos Aires side
    Lanús in the Argentine Primera División which isn’t a league for softies

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:37 PM

I’ve lost the tv remote so I’ll be listening to the wireless for a bit as I’m not getting up to change the tv to another shit channel

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:38 PM

Did the club get bought today?

Who did we sign?

• Novocastrian66

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:41 PM

OP; No and no-one.

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:45 PM

When does the window close?

Not for us obviously , for the other teams

• martoon

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:53 PM

Tuff – I think if you look back you’ll see that there was praise for good detective work – which it was. However there was quite a lot of skepticism whether it actually meant anything even by Jib himself so I’m not sure why you’re taking the p*ss?

• jayphoto

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:54 PM

@Jib – the MLS is more physical than the EPL… and the players on average run further etc Its why players like Gerrard and Pirlo struggled as nearly all the focus is on athleticism…
    If anything he may struggle with the intelligence of the EPL, players need a much better decision making etc but I think the days of players being too small for england are long long gone as shown by Bernard doing well at Everton, the Silvas and sterling at man city etc i mean christ Modric was the best player in the league a while back

• jayphoto

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:56 PM

That newcastle ventures ltd is interesting in a stab in the dark, million to 1 shot kind of way!
    Know nothing about the guy behind it, but Im at the stage where I long for the days the Bin Ladens were rumoured…
    Fact is, at 300m or whatever Ashley wants, whoever buys it will be a serious outfit with serious ideas… The sheer price rules out your mad Ellis Shorts, Venkys etc had the price of been 300m years ago itd have ruled out Ashley too!

• bettyswallocks

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:56 PM

Mister Tuff……. Nobody said that Jibs bit of info was likely to be true just that those little snippets are interesting to read whether or not they turn out to be relevant.
    He wasn’t jumping around looking for adoration and stardom making out he had uncovered the scoop of the century unlike some other lunatic attention seeker on here.
    Anyway the rest of the banter is all good craic but I don’t think Jib was insisting it was true in fact in his defence he said it was more than likely bs.

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:56 PM

I’ve watched the videos of Almiron and he definitely has talent.

It’s hard to really judge a player on YouTube videos, if I thought we had a real interest I’d watch a few of his games for the 90mins.

Could be just what we need, or another headless chicken with loads of talent.

How much will he cost?

There’s no other names floating about and we’ve sent people to see his people and other people have dismissed our people, what’s going on people?

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:58 PM

Jay

Is that the price for everything though?

Just another waiting game, hoping for the best.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:58 PM

Martoon….. You beat me to it.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:06 PM

I ve just watched the YouTube of Almiron and to be honest I think it would be a gamble paying a big lump for him in the hope that he can perform in the PL. ( Not that I think that’s ever likely to happen ).

Admittedly he has some nice skills but he missed a fair few chances that he should have put away and I’m wondering how he would handle being closed down by stronger, more physical defenders and having to play in tight areas. He’s quick and direct but nowhere near the finished article.