Rafa Admits He’s Disappointed With Life At Newcastle

Newcastle have been knocked out of the FA Cup at home, and again it’s the early rounds.

We have never advanced past the 4th round since Mike Ashley has been the owner at Newcastle.

And with just four full days left in the January transfer window, Newcastle have not brought in one single player to strengthen the squad Rafa has.

So after the game yesterday when Rafa was asked how he felt about life at Newcastle during his press conference he answered: “disappointed – obviously.”

Rafa was in a grim mood after the game when a Watford Reserves side beat us 2-0 in what was an abysmal performance from the Newcastle side.

Rafa Benitez – disappointed with things

Rafa was asked to expand on that answer and whether it was just the cup defeat or other things.

This is what Rafa said:

“A little bit of everything.”

“Today is the 26th, so I don’t need to say too much.” “We don’t have any players here.”

“But I am a professional, so I am convinced we will do what we have to do and in the end, we will stay up.”

“But we have to concentrate and then be sure that we do the right things.”

“Now we don’t have any excuses in terms of what we have to do.”

“Every single game for us is a final and it could be until the end.”

From the outside, it seems like Mike Ashley is doing things in this window that will almost guarantee Rafa will walk away in June.

But we are hoping the personal relationship between owner and manager is (a lot) better than has been portrayed in the press.

But Rafa is suffering now as manager of Newcastle, and we need to start winning and pulling away from the relegation zone.

Our next two games are against Manchester City at home and Tottenham away – two tough games indeed.

But looking on the positive side of things a win in one those two games could ignite our season.

What do you think about all of this?

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Watford?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Ron Knee

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:33 AM

Lee Ryder@lee_ryder

Rafa when asked if anything is close in terms of signings: “I have no idea.” #nufc

• geordietom

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:36 AM

watching the game yesterday on bein they panned to Rafa he looked tired . looked like he cant be arsed with it all …

dont know if any one else noticed rafa’s demeanour yesterday . seems to me that the job is wearing him down . i may be wrong …

• magpie6699

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:37 AM

Terrible performance yesterday apart from Longstaff who continues to surprise me with his confidence and class – doing the simple things well. actually though Perez showed quite a bit of ability when he came on – but hew didn’t have much to beat with Joselu and Kenedy playing as though they were wearing plaster casts on both legs.
    One thing that really gets my goat is when people call me stupid for going to matches to see the team I have supported all my life (went with my dad in 1959). Sorry, but I won’t let a FCB stop me, however much I hate him. And if anyone thinks Ashley cares what people think about him or about attendances, then what planet have you been on?
    He’s just got another instalment of £55 million coming into the club coffers from Sky / PL – whether or not people boycott games or not. Hit him in his wallet by all means – avoid SD, brick up the shops, whatever, but I for one will not stop supporting MY team just because people throw insults around.

• Bianconeri

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:40 AM

OP Dubs is a good call,although I’m not one for a keeper to be captain,he does enough shouting as it is 🙂

GeordieTom I agree with you Rafa looks like he has given up (who can blame him)
    I just wish he would say more,instead of I have no idea,I wont talk about transfers etc.
    Why not say how you feel fans would prefer that.I would that’s for sure

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:43 AM

Charnley didn’t look overly stressed at the match yesterday, nothing much to do.

• Jib

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:43 AM

In his tenure Ashley has employed 8 managers
    only four have principles
    Keegan , Hughton , Shearer , and now Rafa

the other four were placemen who did what
    they were told
    Kinnear , Pardew , Carver and McClaren

Keegan walked , Hughton was sacked , he just
    blanked Shearer , and now Rafa will likely see
    out his contract.

I hoped he would realise what a diamond he had in Rafa

I’ve supported this club for years some things never change

• Bianconeri

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:44 AM

If we do get anyone in just think of all the wages cashlie has saved nearly 4 weeks worth.

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:45 AM

It would be good if when asked about transfers he said

You’ll have to ask the monkey or the organ grinder I’m just a spectator like the rest of you.

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:48 AM

Jib

We all hope, even those who’ve given up on him changing.

Isn’t hope the only medicine of the miserable

• The overrated Frenchman

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:49 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong Jib, but isn’t Benitez accepting 6 million quid a year or something from Ashley? He’s just another rent-boy but not as transparent about it.

• Jib

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:51 AM

Rafa won’t just walk because he feels a sense of responsibility
    to his coaching team.
    I guess once the widow is shut and he’s been shat on , he’ll start
    talking to clubs who’ll take him and his coaches on.

• Reilly

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:55 AM

the clueless frenchmen.you do realise Rafa has the best part of 40 mill sitting in the bank right.It was never about the money.

• Jib

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:56 AM

The overrated Frenchman

I don’t know I’ve never met him

However he’s a rent boy who so far has
    given £3.4M to the Hillsborough fund
    and quite a chunk to the NUFC foodbank

• Bianconeri

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:57 AM

I wonder if were still after this lad
    Miha Zajc

I see the Andreas Samaris link is getting stronger

• The overrated Frenchman

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:01 AM

No, it’s never about the money Reilly. It’s for the love of the club. Just ask Mike Ashley, he feels the same way.

• Reilly

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:03 AM

lick my swingers.IDIOT.

• Jib

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:03 AM

Last I heard Cagliari had put a bid into Empoli
    for Miha Zajc

• The overrated Frenchman

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:12 AM

What’s pertinent Jib, is that he’s happy to take Ashley’s wedge. How he spends it is neither here nor there. As much as I disliked Pardew, at least he made no pretence about being a “local hero”.

• The overrated Frenchman

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:14 AM

Well I concede Reilly. I can’t compete with an intellect like yours.

• Jib

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:19 AM

• Reilly

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:22 AM

You are saying Rafa is only here for the money.that is not true is it.
    if he was all about the money he would of went to china.

• ShearMagic

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:22 AM

So yeah nothings changed this window. We are all not surprised at that and all still expect him to walk come the end of the season. We all knew it would happen and that includes Ashley.
    At the end of the day there’s nothing we can do about it as fans to this money grabbing club, as much as we hate it, the only person that can is Mike Ashley. This MP can go talking to people of importance about what a naughty boy he is, but that’s not going to do anything really either apart from highlight to more people that our club is declining yet again and destroying a big chance to become elite again with Rafa at the helm. Those who think Rafa is at fault for any of the negativity are deluded. Such a waste of time, and for the people that attend every weekend, (I cannot as I live in Plymouth) hats off to you for wasting your money, I’m just glad I’m not living up there as I’d be wasting mine too. It’s sad that the best we can all hope for is a measly 17th place finish and another round with Ashley in the 2019/2020 season.
    Praying for a big time buyer with the money in cash to barge into Ashley’s office and slam it on his table.
    Or for Ashley’s private helicopter to crash. That would do it.
    Rant over, hey let’s go for Austin and Almiron in the last four days?

• Transfer Sage

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:23 AM

Overrated Frenchman

I don’t thin the fact Rafa is paid well is relevant, no manager or player works for free anywhere.

I do accept there should be criticism of the manager and players when they do something we perceive as wrong, the same way they get praise when things go well. I also disagree with what some suggest that by criticising the manager we are letting Ashley off.

Ashley is the problem, I think 99.9% here know that. It doesn’t mean that I won’t criticise the performance of the manager or players if I feel it’s warranted.

Ultimately I accept that Rafa doesn’t have the resources to be doing much better, he’s getting a lot out of this squad. Not only does the squad lack quality in midfield and upfront, the bits of quality we do have don’t suit one style which makes it very difficult.

• c-dog

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:25 AM

Jib

Nice to see the pasting I’ve been giving you for a for a while finally have the anti Ashley affect on you for which I desired. You are one of the last pro Ashley posters to crack. We are almost United.

• Sav

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:27 AM

So how are the fans going to express themselves to Ashley on Tuesday during the televised game against the champions?

• Reilly

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:29 AM

It will be fun on here in the summer when moyse boy rocks up.Looking forward to seeing the rafa out crews comments.

• Pain in the Blog

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:30 AM

From the Grauniad today.

“Stephen Rubin, the majority owner of JD Sports, has been revealed as Britain’s highest taxpayer in a list that also includes Sir James Dyson, Mike Ashley and the Beckham family.

Rubin paid £181.6m in taxes in 2017-18, according to a study by the Sunday Times… Mike Ashley, founder of Sports Direct, paid £30.4m in taxes last year”.

So the owner of JD Sports paid six times as much tax as the major shareholder in SD? The worst case scenario would be that MA netted £45M after paying that amount of tax at 40%. I wouldn’t dream of suggesting that his actual personal net income for the year was probably a bit more than that.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:36 AM

Reilly

Not that I’m Rafa out but do you think it matters who’s in charge?

No matter who is here we going to be battling down the bottom of the league. Whether Rafa, Moyes, Allardyce, Pulis, Mourinho… you name them, they’ll struggle under this set up.

All a good manager will do is slightly delay the inevitable relegation at some point. It’s a cycle under Ashley.

• Nufc 4ever

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:37 AM

Magpie 6699
    I am with you all the way . Yesterday didn’t even hurt I was resigned to it. But fat man dispose him and all the fans who don’t go and tell me to boycott do one. My team good or bad he won’t be here forever

• Reilly

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:38 AM

exactly but with Rafa we have a better chance of staying up.For me i think Rafa should walk at the end of the window,and let the sh1t show start.

• lesh

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:39 AM

Ed’s hope that relations between Ashley and Rafa are better than the media report?

There’s no doubt in my mind that Rafa’s been lied to and undermined by Ashley and his goons for all bar his first full season. He’s faced with an owner who doesn’t even have the decency to communicate effectively, ignores Rafa’s pleas for support and is doing his damnedest to discredit him. But by his actions and words, Rafa has shown himself to be the model of professionalism while working with limited resources and support.

Yet under the extremely difficult circumstances Rafa’s been expected to work under, Ashley, through Bishop, has done his best to undermine him, discredit fans’ opinions, peddle blatant lies about club finances and his supposed support. Yet we hear of supposedly loyal fans criticising Rafa, his selections and god forbid, his supposed moaning. Moaning? Working under Ashley would make a saint swear!

Despite his stated willingness to discuss committing to a new contract if the club does things in the right way, Ashley doesn’t know how to do the right things by people and neither will he employ someone with credibility and football-business savvy to run the club for him. He’s happy to employ with those he trusts – Barnes, a bully; Bishop, a liar; Charnley, their go-for and chances such as,Wise, Pardew and Kinnear.

Things won’t change under Ashley and Rafa’ll be away in the summer. Let’s hope our fans give him a rousing send off and applaud his efforts – that’s the least they can do

• toon22

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:43 AM

We need to force MA out of our club

• wynsleap

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:44 AM

Rafa is disappointed with life at Newcastle?
    How the Hell does he think WE feel and we don’t get paid for the privilege either.
    It really is time for Rafa to tell Ashley (and the football world in general) that he is going as he is fed up of his lies, manipulations, contempt for himself, the fans and the club itself and his total greed.
    I for one wouldn’t blame him and his departure MIGHT just get the sheep mobilised to get rid of this obnoxious parasite once and for all.

• Shot Bru

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:47 AM

Hopefully Rafa vents his thoughts after his contract expires.

It would be interesting to see if he does an in depth interview with Guillem Balague post NUFC/ Ashley experience and exposes what is really going on at the club

With Rafa being politically astute in terms of professional football, he could stir up some sh$t for Ashley and his cronies…but more importantly be an advocate for the fans and the city.

• hibbit

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:49 AM

this list of managers names is brought up time and time again,
    do folk honestly think that these managers are going to make them themselves such an easy target and ashLIE’s fall guy none of these guy will be short of money and all will know the implications of taking the job and the guaranteed certainty of failure under ashLIE’s regime

• Jib

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:50 AM

c – dog /Jail
    I never was pro-Ashley
    It was just intellectually challenged folk like you that thought I was.

• jimiley

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:51 AM

Rafa is disappointed at the Toon? Hopefully the 6 million a year will mollify him. Thats 18 million in 3 years.
    Most fans are not getting that much to watch it. They feel a lot worse.
    By not walking a la Keegan, Rafa is keeping Ashley at the club. Thanks local hero.,

• magscar

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:53 AM

Under Ashley we will not get another manager with the vision, tenacity and diplomatic skills of Rafa.

We may with good fortune replace him with someone who would get different results at times , entertain the crowd more for part of a season but looking back at the squads others have had and in differrent circumstances in PL than when Ashley bought us could any other have done better on all fronts and stuck it out.

It’s not the money. I believe Rafa sees us as still the realistic contender he saw 3 years ago – he approached Ashley warts and all. He’s just found out that the warts here are more than skin deep.

It is a power struggle still going on with Rafa dogged , streetwise ( in football terms) and still in love with his project against an owner sti wanting him but on the basis of as much as he can get with the minimum of investment and always on his terms (whether or not they make sense in the unreal football world).

Rafa is clearly chastened by the experience and is looking for something tangible to persuade him that there can yet be progress albeit at a much lesser pace than he had hoped and thought realistic.

The accepted sense in difficult circumstances in football at any level is to stop leaking goals and get the defence sorted out. Rafa has done a great job there and knows that it isn’t enough.

He talks about the short blanket a lot and it is a decent analogy. Midfield is gradually taking a bit of short term shape but still lacking creativityand less said the better about up front.

With what he has he could be more adventurous certainly but i think he is taking a necessarily longer term view for the sake of the Club and sticking with his own philosophy and trying to build slowly as the circumstances here absolutely dictate.

He acknowleges the fans disatisfaction and thanks them for their patience, understanding and forebearance often by mentioning their “cleverness”.

I completely understand and agree that fans of other clubs wouldn’t put up with all of this but to our credit we stick with him and his efforts despite how hard the going is because most do believe that with him here there is light at the end of the tunnel however dim it has become.

He is a man of integrity, patience as well as vision and I watch for signs that he has finally accepted the gig is up.

Right now we are approaching the end game in terms of his contract and like experienced poker players both are keeping their cards close to their chests whilst hoping and depending on the turn of the next card and it seems he feels he is still in with a chance even with a poor hand.

I do to but then I am the eternal optimist!

It is a very tricky situation with both Rafa still wanting to be here and Ashley ( for his selfish reasons) wanting him here but both struggling to find a compimise that is more than short term fix.

Rafa is needed exactly because Ashley is still here and ironically might be why he still is!!

He is simply the man for the times and more so after the bruising years he has endured

• jimiley

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:57 AM

Wyn
    There is nowt anybody can do for the sheep.
    They are programmed like automotons to wander aimlessly and silently to their seats every fortnight. Full frontal lobotomies are the only cure. Most of our loyal supporters rather like Ashley for saving them from the sins of Freddie Shepherd.
    Boy did he take some stick on this blog 10 years ago.

• c-dog

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:58 AM

It certainly looks like Moyse is the best we’ll do next. I’d hate to be multi year season ticket holder.