Frustrated Rafa Refuses To Guarantee He’ll Stay Until End Of Season

We seem to be seeing manager Rafa Benitez as shocked as the fans that the Newcastle hierarchy have not brought in one player during this transfer window, and there are only two days to go.

It’s incredible that we are not strengthening the squad with Newcastle just 2 points above the drop zone and that was only because we beat Cardiff City 3-0 at home in our last league game.

Maybe Ashley and company think becasue of that result we should be good enough to stay up and he doesn’t have to spend any money.

It’s also interesting we have heard nothing about the four consortia who are supposed to be interested in buying Newcastle.

Ashley has asked a price nobody will pay.

Rafa Benitez – frustrated about this transfer window

Rafa seems to be very frustrated with that has happened this month, and this is what he has said as reported in the Shields Gazette:

“We will wait until Thursday and see what happens.”

“Hopefully, we can get three points against Manchester City, and then everybody will be happy.”

“I came here and I decided to stay in the Championship because I can see the potential of the club,”

“I don’t know (if I will leave this summer).”

“It depends on how it is going during this time.”

“I had a conversation with Mike, Justin (Barnes), (Keith) Bishop, and Lee (Charnley), the other day.”

“We were talking about everything, and now we will see where we are.”

“No, I cannot guarantee anything (asked if he would walk away before the summer).”

“I guarantee I will be focused and try to do my best every minute.”

The problem the manager has is he’s working with a bunch of amateurs in football – Ashley, Charnley Barnes, and Bishop – who know very little about football,

And they are controlling the direction of the club and seem to ignore Rafa.

This is really a sad situation for the club, the fans and the manager.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Manchester City?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• RobLeenio

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:01 AM

The wording of the above is vastly different from that offered in the Telegraph last night. Was he interviewed in Spanish and the translations are inconsistent, or is The Shields Gazette just interpreting what it thinks he meant from what was a fairly muddled dialogue otherwise?

The distinction could prove vital

• hibbit

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:11 AM

firebug666
    i don’t attribute Ashley with all the credit with my the divide and conquer statement, there are far more devious forces at work than Bishop and a far simpler explanation to the consent infighting on here
    a group of people who would take great pleasure in our loss of Rafa our relegation and the continuous civil war on here the same group of people who paid for a plane and a banner to be flown over the city would like noting better the to see our demise there very happy to to be do Ashley’s work on here
    it really is that simply mackem wums are hard at work every day on here with the sole aim of causing as much disharmony as possible

divide and conquer
    it works every time

• Mindshaft

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:16 AM

It’s been a long hard road under Ashley, clearly he isn’t that interested in selling or he would drop his price to something that someone will actually pay.
    The only way he will leave is if we end up in the championship / league one for a couple of years and he loses his free global advertising.
    Sad state of affairs, the soul has literally been sucked out of the club – I can’t even be bothered to watch a free stream anymore

• Jib

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:17 AM

“devious” (implying intelligence) linked with “mackem”
    That has to be an oxymoron

• JohnJ

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:17 AM

I can and could understand if Rafa should walk away from Newcastle United……..However I would be gutted the same as I was when Keegan had to walk away The same as I was gutted when we lost Sir Bobby Robson

Rafa is without any doubt the best manager we are likely to find at this time.

I would be over the moon should Mr Wally Ashley sell the club but I’m not holding my breath on that! It’s tragic that a club with the potential to be fighting for a top six spot is fighting against relegation season after season.

Sadly I’m unable to be at tonight’s game but I urge all those who are to let Rafa know how much we appreciate him and also to let Wally Ashley to know how much we want rid of him!

• Ron Knee

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:22 AM

“Asked if he would walk out on Thursday if the club failed to bring in his desired players, Benítez replied: “We will wait until Thursday and see what happens. Hopefully we can get three points against Manchester City and then everybody will be happy.

““I came here and I decided to stay in the Championship because I can see the potential of the club. I will try to do my best until the last minute.”

“Asked further if there was no chance he would walk away from the club on Thursday, he replied: “[That would be] Very difficult.”” (Grauniad)

• Jib

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:22 AM

I always watch the Toon no matter how crap we are
    or how much we are getting thumped.
    I truly believe that venting frustration in the Stadium
    whilst in such a perilous situation is wrong.
    Rafa and the team are the last folk to blame.
    Sports Direct is so vulnerable and so precious to
    Ashley it’s the obvious target.
    Weirdly I am still clinging to the hope of 11th hour
    signings.

• geordiemark

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:26 AM

I am amazed rafa has stayed as boss for so long, I would have walked the first time Ashley didn’t do what he promised, I wouldn’t blame rafa at all if he walked by Friday if he did he would get my biggest thanks for trying to turn the club into a football club again and the best of warm wishes in the future, but Ashley we wont see him at st james if rafa walks hes a coward he does things from afar like his monkeys do like Ferdinand, Sherwood, keys and co wonder considering the match is on bt tonight if they say anything nasty about the fans I pretty much doubt it gutless shitheads

• Lovem or Hatem

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:27 AM

Forget the last minute signings, I want a last minute takeover!

• Jib

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:27 AM

By the way anti Ashley chants are fine
    To players it’s just crowd noise
    The fouler the language in the chants the
    better as it will get be remarked on from
    the commentators.

• bill

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:28 AM

Jib,
    I don’t think Mackems are any less intelligent than anyone else. People with any intelligence, and with a moral upbringing would not infest an opponents blog to seek some sort of revenge for their own plight. This leaves us with some morons who infest this blog with the sole intention of causing irritation and anger. In that respect I agree with you.

• SuperShearer

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:28 AM

I had a heated debate with my boss yesterday about Ashley – boss is a Gooner. He believes if it weren’t for Ashley we would have gone the way of Leeds and dropped down the divisions. I pointed out to him that Ashley has continuously taken from the club, to which he said, “Except when he funds your return to the Premiership time and time again?” – My point is this, for outsiders many don’t think Ashley has done anything wrong… except the figures and the words don’t lie. “The club can spend every penny it generates”. It’s so frustrating that no one is willing to dissect the books more closely and broadcast this on a national stage.

• Jib

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:30 AM

A simple
    “Fcuk off Ashley”
    repeated non stop
    from 50K throats
    would be great

• bill

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:31 AM

Sometimes, I cannot watch the Toon play as I get nervous and very angry. I may be buying new TVs on a regular basis.

• bill

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:33 AM

SuperShearer,

Sounds like you have an ignorant boss. Words without evidence mean nothing.

• geordiemark

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:35 AM

bill

I don’t watch the toon play at all haven’t done since opening game this season that only lasted 30 minutes, its either I watch it and smash up my tv and I don’t fancy buying so many tvs 🙂

• bill

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:36 AM

Someone on here had looked at the accounts but Ashley has the club broken down into so many pieces that the trail of money is difficult to follow. I guess HMRC are the only ones with the power to investigate things thoroughly.

• bill

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:38 AM

geordiemark, I know the feeling.

• ArtyH

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:06 AM

I have supported the Toon since I was a boy, 64 this year, my father went to see the 55′ cup final two weeks after I was born. So I have seen many changes and highs and lows in our fortunes. The last 12 years have, for me, been the most difficult to endure for many reasons. Mainly our club should be at least in the top 6 of the league due to fans support and stadium capacity. However this has been the cause of our decline taken advantage of by an unscrupulous lying scumbag of an owner who is only interested in top line profit. Unfortunately at this point in our history IMHO the only way to move forwards and rid ourselves of the disease which is prevalent at the club is to operate a scorched earth policy. This will not be popular with season ticket holders but I just cannot see any other way to get rid of the blood sucking leach without major surgery. So season ticket holders IMHO should return them or get a refund and not renew. We should prepare for relegation after Rafa leaves ( at the weekend or summer ). Not attend ANY games until the fate of the club has been decided. I do not say that lightly and I am desperate for my/our club to be successful, but as a realist recognise we never will be under this owner. I would accept, grudgingly to follow the rout of those down the road in order to cut out the rot before it is too late. I hate saying that but the way I feel at this time, its true.