Rafa Pushed To The Brink At Newcastle

Rafa has explained how the transfers work (or should we say don’t work) at Newcastle and he does none of the negotiations.

That’s left mainly to Lee Charnley.

But Rafa does have the final say on players which we assume is in his contract.

That’s to stop what happened with Kevin Keegan when Director of Football Dennis Wise brought in two players Kevin knew nothing about in September 2008 and Kevin resigned.

But it goes both ways with the transfers – the club can reject a Rafa target for instance if they think he is too old or too expensive to buy.

They can also reject a deal if the wages are too high.

Newcastle have failed to sign top target Miguel Almiron this month becasue his transfer fee, wages and his agent’s fee are all too high for Newcastle.

We are down to trying to bring in players with an option to buy in the summer – to keep the costs down.

And Newcastle, as usual, are finding even that hard to do.

Does all this sound just too familiar?

Rafa Benitez – close to the brink?

Rafa has even failed to guarantee he will not resign if he gets no players in before Thursday night.

That’s really worrying.

He was asked in the Chronicle why we have no players with just a couple of days left in the transfer window:

“It is not a question for me because I don’t talk about the transfer window,”

“It’s not a question for me.

“The way things are going on here, I can say yes or no to the proposals that I receive.”

“I can give some names [to the board], but I don’t do any negotiations or anything.”

“In the end I can say yes or no, so the club give me this or that, and then I can choose one or the other one.”

“That’s it. I can say yes if we need that.”

“Anyone can interpret my silence (on transfers) the way that they want to.”

“But I want to be sure is that we concentrate on what we have to concentrate on, because I cannot change the other things.”

Rafa seems close to the brink and if we lose tonight and no players are brought in by Thursday night that could be the trigger for Rafa to resign from Newcastle.

It’s something he has never done before in his career and all hell would be let loose on Tyneside.

Rafa must find it hard to believe he can achieve his dream of transforming Newcastle into a top team with Mike Ashley still the owner.

That’s an impossible task.

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

• SuperShearer

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:29 AM

RP: I had a heated debate with my boss yesterday about Ashley – boss is a Gooner. He believes if it weren’t for Ashley we would have gone the way of Leeds and dropped down the divisions. I pointed out to him that Ashley has continuously taken from the club, to which he said, “Except when he funds your return to the Premiership time and time again?” – My point is this, for outsiders many don’t think Ashley has done anything wrong… except the figures and the words don’t lie. “The club can spend every penny it generates”. It’s so frustrating that no one is willing to dissect the books more closely and broadcast this on a national stage.

• RobLeenio

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:36 AM

SuperShearer, I think it’s difficult to get the wider message out to the casual football fan. The Devil is in the detail and unfortunately the detail (dissecting the books for eg) is boring to most outside the NUFC bubble.

True football fans know, though – and sympathise. You see that when the Mag reproduces fans’ comments from other teams’ message boards, for eg. Those that really care about football, rather than just their own club, see and understand our plight.

• SuperShearer

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:39 AM

@RobLeenio – I hope you’re right. There is no doubt my boss was trying to antagonise me but at the same time his belief that Ashley has saved us from going into administration was hugely frustrating as clearly, MA’s rhetoric has rubbed off on various media outlets.

• bill

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:39 AM

Exactly Rob

• geordiemark

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:39 AM

we can all feel for rafa having to put up with a moronic two faced lying evil scum bag who couldn’t tell the truth even with the truth drug sodium panothol, how hes put up with him for so long is well beyond me, I think tonight if the teams getting beat by 3 I think the crowd will turn on Ashley in a very big way, they know theres no new players coming in why wait so damn long if there was going to be any coming, we all know where the money has gone I just think tonight is the night when st james will go ballistic

• Rotonda heights

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:40 AM

Mindshaft

”the soul has literally been sucked out of the club” literally??

OLG

It is lose not loose or losing not loosing !!!!!!!

• lochinvar

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:42 AM

Newcastle’s St James’ Park will host the opening ceremony of the Rugby League World Cup on 23 October with the men’s and women’s finals both at Old Trafford on 27 November 2021.

Don’t be surprised if we play 13 tonight then.

• geordiemark

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:43 AM

SuperShearer

I think your boss doesn’t really think does he, when Ashley took over the club he didn’t check the books did he didn’t know about the debts the halls and shepard put us in ect ect ect, does he know that Ashley loaned the club the debt money now I would love to know how the hell that works considering he owns the club, tell your boss to look up all the info then speak about it and while hes looking at that tell him about the free advertising shite direct has had for 12 years and how much it would have cost for that alone

• bill

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:47 AM

Football is a vehicle for many who are the worst types in society. A book could be written about this, if one hasn’t been already.

• yorkymag

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:47 AM

Firstly I am as frustrated and upset at the way Ashley has bled the club
    But I am now at the stage where I think Rafa is also at fault
    His tactics regardless of the limited talent available have been woeful,it is interesting he is now suggesting he may walk now that he does not need to give £6m back .
    He has moaned all year long ,understandably so
    But
    Keegan a truly principled man and manger walked away
    Rafa should have done the same
    Don’t take this as a defence in any way of the poisonous regime that is Ashley but Rafa will disappear into the sunset with his pot of gold and care little for our club ,he should have walked last summer
    But that would have cost him £6m
    I don’t know how we get out of this ,it is a complete mess
    I live in hope that we will quickly forget thus episode in our clubs history

• RobLeenio

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:48 AM

SuperShearer, I think you just need to denounce your boss for the footballing philistine which he evidently is. Call him a glory-seeking footy know-nowt in front of the rest of your colleagues.

It may not do much for your career, but it will give you an enormous sense of wellbeing as you pack up your desk.

😉

• The next Mike Williamson

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:49 AM

holding ashley to his every penny statement; how much do you think we should have available to spend? bare in mind, we’ve only recieved one bumper sky payment for being in premier league – the other i believe is due soon. i have it at 80-100m which is mostly from this season. but if he’s paid off the part of the loan and reduced the price of the club 100m where does that leave us?

• Rotonda heights

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:49 AM

No one could blame Rafa for walking now. He so doesn’t need this sh–e.

Your far out loons like catchy, bladey, aces, beefman and ilovetoon will be happy, where as the more moderate ones like Munster may be a tad disappointed. Hope they’ll all be pleased with Moyes or Sherwood. There is no imaginary staying up bonus for Rafa, so stop making up c–p to suit your own agendas.

With a level playing field and the right players in the right scenario rafa has not always had to play defensive football Top scorers by a country mile in the champo with the right champo specific players. Excellent football at Chelsea and sometimes at Liverpool. Rafa has principles, something Ashley wouldn’t even know how to spell.

• lochinvar

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:50 AM

lesh@244 earlier post

Charnley – didn’t realise he was sitting on his lonesome at SJP for the Cardiff game which I missed due to work.
    Maybe we can’t charge him with failing to stop but how about dereliction of duty or is that a charge more correctly levelled at Ashley along with a few others which are unrepeatable as they would be in contempt of court.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:50 AM

Yorky

KK got his money in court for constructive dismissal, he didn’t just walk away.

• yorkymag

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:51 AM

Rot
    He took the chance he may not have won
    Rafa could have done the same

• jarra mick

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:53 AM

Rafas pushes me to the brink with his awful football, negative tactics and dross signings.

• Jib

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:53 AM

Bill
    The great Times football writer Hunter Davies spotted
    that in the 70’s , he called the rise of hooliganism that
    threatened to ruin footy.
    ” the revenge of the D stream”

• Jib

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:54 AM

jarra
    tell us where the brink is and I’ll come and push you over

• bill

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:59 AM

Jib,

Just checked on-line. There seem to be a few books out there. Always difficult to choose the right one. I will give Hunter’s a go. It’s a pity that we have to look at football in this way.

• JohnJ

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:39 AM

How on Earth is Rafa able to get Newcastle playing the way some folk think when he’s not backed up with quality signings in the transfer windows.

Only one man to point the finger at for this mess Michael Wallace Ashley!

• gillmag

Jan 29, 2019 at 11:25 AM

I was talking to a bunch of Mackems at the weekend and its amazing how they think they know all about our club. They are desperate to blame Rafa for poor tactics and signings. They clearly don’t have much to talk about when it comes to their own club so they hanging on to us as best they can for some conversation. One person only to blame here for the shambles that is NUFC and thats Ashley. FA should intervene under the fair and proper person rules on who may own a club. We know they won’t as they are complicit in the demise of proper Football by allowing the big guns to just buy the title every year. It will be interesting to see how many season tickets are eventually cancelled and how many empty seats there are after the window shuts on Thursday. Its a damn disgrace and Im sick of it.

• gillmag

Jan 29, 2019 at 12:21 PM

Just another thought. Is it possible to have an entire team of loanees? I know we can only have two domestic loans per season but how about if Ashley fills in the entire squad from the rest of the world…he wouldn’t have to shell out for anybody then…

• ArtyH

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:38 PM

Its a pity Rafs did not have a copy of Keegans new book on show for his interview on tonights game. It would have provoked the questions why do you have the book and have you read it, a good answer would have been ” Just checking that history has indeed repeated its self, its all true “.