We Remember The Tragedy Of This Fantastic Football Team

We remember the Manchester United side and everybody who lost their lives when their plane took off from Munich-Reim airport at the third attempt in poor weather and crashed on this day back in 1958.

Bobby Charlton was on the plane and survived to become one of England’s best ever players and he was in the side that won the World Cup back in 1966.

For the younger fans who don’t know about the disaster here’s a piece from Wikipedia:

“The Munich air disaster occurred on 6 February 1958 when British European Airways Flight 609 crashed on its third attempt to take off from a slush-covered runway at Munich-Riem Airport, West Germany.”

“On the plane was the Manchester United football team, nicknamed the “Busby Babes”, along with supporters and journalists.”

“Twenty of the 44 on the aircraft died at the scene. The injured, some unconscious, were taken to the Rechts der Isar Hospital in Munich where three more died, resulting in 23 fatalities with 21 survivors.”

The footballers who lost their lives were Geoff Bent, Roger Byrne, Eddie Colman, Duncan Edwards (survived the crash – died in hospital 15 days later), Mark Jones, David Pegg, Tommy Taylor, and Billy Whelan.

Duncan Edwards was only 21 years old at the time he died but he had already played 18 times for England with 5 goals and 151 times for Manchester with 20 goals.

He’s the greatest English footballer I have ever seen play.

We humbly remember that terrible air crash today.

RIP.

=========

• barkel

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:18 AM

Funny that Shearer has Lascelles in his team of the weekend and he was only 4th on the blog poll

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:24 AM

Can anyone answer my question. In this system we’ve been using with Yedlin and Ritchie as wing backs, what role has Atsu been playing?

• Mindshaft

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:27 AM

It’s strange that Longstaff has been getting so many votes as player of the game since he’s been playing – he’s done okay for sure but certainly hasn’t been our best player – there were at least 4 players had a better game than him against Spurs (namely Lascelles, Schar, Hayden, Perez), think we have an inbuilt preference to big up one of our own a little too much

• Nicky the ball tosser

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:37 AM

Essentially 5221, with the wing backs getting forward where possible, Longstaff and Hayden as basically two defensive mids, Atsu as attacking mid on the left, Perez attacking mid on the right, behind Rondon.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:51 AM

Nicky,
    So if this Barreca is any good do you think we’ll play the same way with Ritchie losing his place or will Ritchie take Atsu’s place and Almiron Perez or will we play a more traditional 4-4-1-1 with Atsu and Ritchie on the wings.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:00 AM

I think we will most likely continue to play the same way, with Almiron putting pressure on Atsu for his starting place, and Barreca on Ritchie for his, as I see it. To me, Perez keeps his place on form. 5 at the back suits us cos we’ve got 6 good central defenders, and Yedlin, Barreca, Manqillo and Ritchie as wing backs.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:08 AM

Jail
    I would say Atsu plays as a left winger playing well but he seems to have problem in crossing – instead of getting down to the bye line and crossing tends to cut back inside to cross or lay the ball back inside.

• martoon

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:19 AM

I would say we play 5 4 1 when defending but switching to 5 2 3 when attacking and Atsu is on the left of the 4 or 3!

• Nicky the ball tosser

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:19 AM

To me we’ve been setting up in this shape, and it’s been pretty effective. Barreca and Almiron slot in and potentially give us more going forward.

…………………..Dubravka…
    ………Schar…..Lascelles……Lejeune..
    Yedlin……..Hayden.Longstaff…….Ritchie.
    …………Perez…………………Atsu.
    …………………….Rondon.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:29 AM

…………………Dubravka…
    ………Schar…..Lascelles……Lejeune..
    Yedlin…………..Shelvey Ki………….Barreca.
    ………….Perez…………….Almiron.
    …………………….Rondon.

To me that’s a pretty good 11, although I guess Rafa would go with either Diame, Hayden or Longstaff alongside either Shelvey or Ki.

Got the players to set up a bunch of different ways pretty effectively now though.

• WarrenBartonCentreParting

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:34 AM

It looks like Atsu is unfortunately going to be the fall guy, he has had a good little run in the team, worked hard but his form has deserted him when he gets into the opposition 18 yard box which is a shame as he certainly has the ability on his day.

• Mindshaft

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:35 AM

Kail – I think Ritchie will take Atsus place as he can actually cross the ball and does his defensive duties which will be needed if Barreca is the pacy wingback we need

• Mindshaft

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:35 AM

Jail even – fat fingers doh!

• martoon

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:39 AM

I’ve always wondered why I don’t remember the Munich air disaster – now I realise it’s because I was only a week old! 😉

• RobLeenio

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:08 PM

Martoon happy birthday for a week ago

😀

• RobLeenio

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:09 PM

The fact we can’t work out who Almiron will replace is great as the opposition won’t have a clue!

• TyneMouth

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:13 PM

Munich, 60 years ago. I was 15 at the time of the disaster, the news broke at breakfast time, it was shocking.

On the bus to school, full of schoolboys, it was unusually quiet. At assembly the Headmaster announced the news and there was a special prayer. It was a very sombre day all round.

If my memory serves me well, we had played MU a month or so before Christmas, SJP was packed, we were beaten but the Manchester team was applauded off the pitch, they were fantastic!

The majority of my classmates were at the match, there was much to chat about the next week. Rivalry was different in those days, even with that lot from Wearside.

It was certainly a different age. Football could only be seen live or at Newsreels at the Cinemas.

Manchester fielded a makeshift team for the rest of the season, other rival teams loaned players, we lent them Ernie Taylor (from our1955 FA Cup team,3 years earlier.)

Because of the tragedy, and young Charlton was an Ashington lad, MU became my ‘2nd’ Team. Times have certainly changed…

• posada

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:33 PM

One of my earliest memories is standing on Station Road, Ashington, with my family.
    England had won the world cup a few days earlier.
    Bob and Jack Charlton drove through the town in an open topped car.
    Until I was 17 I thought Bob and Jack were the joint Kings of England.

Came as a shock when I realised the Monarch was actually the Queen.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:37 PM

Nicky,
    I still think we need upgrades on both Dummet and Yedlin and without doubt a second decent striker, Peter Crouch would have been so more preferable than seeing Joselu’s name on the team sheet.

• posada

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:38 PM

I think Nicky has the team and formation about right.
    With the emergence of Schar, the return of Leguene and Rondon finally at full fitness, I think we have a decent 1st eleven.
    Any injuries and we are in some trouble.

Ki and Muto returning and the 2 signings. Hopefully that will make the difference in the months ahead.
    However, it’s certainly not a given.

Thing is if your target is 14th you will get it in a good year.
    In an average year you’ll be 17th.
    In a bad season you’ll be relegated.

On average about once every 5 years I would say.

• barkel

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:48 PM

I always thought Atsu is better suited to the right side of the pitch, he looks far more comfortable there.

• toonbrother

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:53 PM

Ed I bet it infuriates you to see Lascelles wearing the armband lol
    Lascelles makes team of the week again
    And all you can muster is 2 sentences one of which is “Where’s Longstaff”…

Meanwhile, all Schar has to do is pick his nose and you dedicate a dozen posts to him
    Calling you biased doesnt do you justice.

The good news is Lascelles remains captain. And there’s nothing you can do about it. 😀

• toonbrother

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:55 PM

Ritchie will take Atsu’s place.
    Lol dream on

Ritchie’s first team days are OVER.

• G

Feb 6, 2019 at 1:07 PM

@23 “Ritchie will take Atsu’s place.
    Lol dream on

Ritchie’s first team days are OVER.”

I doubt that’s true. Rafa loves a player who can follow the game plan, and Ritchie does.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 6, 2019 at 1:16 PM

feel sorry for fernandez who has also been excellent

• c-dog

Feb 6, 2019 at 1:29 PM

Lascelles is top quality
    Comes in for too much stick here
    Him and Lejeune are automatic starters
    The other spot is up for grabs between the other 3
    3 good squad players

• JohnJ

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:08 PM

The Munich tragedy happened just before my 14th birthday and I clearly recall as a Newcastle suppoter the horror I felt at the loss of such fine young footballers – at that time good players from opposing teams were all fully respected for their abilities!.

Manchester United had a barrow load of fine playes and whilst the loss of them all was a tragedy I felt Duncan Edwards could have gone on to rule the football world.

I recall as a paper boy at that time seeing with horror the headlines the day afterwards.

• Mag52

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:11 PM

Lascelles has had a poor first half to the season, but, fortunately for us and for him his form has improved of late.

Mineshaft.

Longstaff has rightly been applauded on here for his performances recently, especially so as he was initially seen as a bit of a stop gap in a position where we were short on cover.
    Wait till he has an off day, and you will see critics of the ‘local lad’ lining up to have a go at him.
    Dummett will know the truth of that.

• Moonraker15

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:16 PM

I remember the news coming on that night. Everyone was devastated; there was virtually no anti Man U feeling in those days, just a lot of admiration. I saw them play at SJP the year later and we beat them easy although their team was just a shell of what it had been.
    They would’ve won the European cup but for the crash!

• martoon

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:48 PM

Robleenio cheers

• Munster Mag

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:49 PM

Jail i think much will depend on barreca. He isn’t very heralded but neither was schar, and I can remember some muppet on here panning Fernández and ki for playing with relegated clubs. If may also depend how the left flank players work with each other to get the best combo, but dummett can play left centre half too, and quite well I think, so it’s another aspect covered. I think atsu will lose out and may be sold. Rafa loves guys who can defend and have a lot of legs so Ritchie won’t be quickly dropped especially away from home.

• Munster Mag

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:51 PM

I love almiron already and the respect and love he commands from his fans at Atlanta says a lot. I don’t have any concerns re physicality.