Almiron Did Not Seek Any Assurances From Rafa

The news late last year that Miguel Almiron was very keen to play for Newcastle United and he didn’t much bother that Newcastle were struggling with relegation.

His agent Daniel Campo attended the home game against Bournemouth that we won 2-1, and he got some very positive about Newcastle United, St. James’ Park, the fans, and the city in general.

Miguel says at that time he knew Newcastle was the club for him.

He also talked with former Newcastle player Diego Gavilan, and he got only positive comments from the Paraguayan.

Diego was brought to Newcastle by Sir Bobby Robson in 2000 and stayed three years and was mostly out on loan during that period: he played 43 times for Paraguay.

We thought Almiron would have asked about what Rafa’s future was before he signed on, but it turns out he didn’t do that.

Miguel Almiron and Martin Dubravka in training

Here’s what he said in the Chronicle today when asked about Rafa’s future:

“It’s not a topic we’ve discussed; the only things I’ve spoken to him about is me feeling comfortable and settling in quickly so I can bring something to the side.”

“The relegation battle is not something we’re thinking about at the minute; it’s about focusing on the positives.”

“We’re focused together and that will help me to bring what I can to the party.”

“Probably at the end of November towards the end of the MLS season (he knew Newcastle wanted to sign him in January) .”

“But at first I took it lightly and I didn’t want to get caught up in it.”

“I spoke to Diego Gavilan. We wrote to each other and he indicated it is an opportunity that you shouldn’t turn down and you should go for it.”

“Of course I spoke with  my family too but my mind was already made up at that stage, once I knew Newcastle were interested in me.”

“I spoke with my team-mates, my advisers and my agent; they came over here in advance and had a look at the city.”

“They sent back good reports, and I had the same from team-mates at Atlanta, and those reports have been proved true as I’ve had a warm welcome since I arrived here.”

There was news today that the two major candidates for Rafa’s job if he leaves this summer are Brendan Rodgers and David Wagner.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Wolves?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Dennis Twice

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:00 PM

Attack Toon attack, attack!

• c-dog

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:31 PM

Southampton need to get the finger out

• c-dog

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:35 PM

Munster

Your lot just about defeated a poor Scotland.
    No chance at lifting the World Cup.

• the ledge

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:10 PM

C dog more of a chance than your lot

• Munster Mag

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:12 PM

I’d give us every bit as much chance as your lot. We won’t crow about it though, unlike you.

• Munster Mag

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:14 PM

Nice fringe defence Ledge. C Dog is a seriously messed up anti irish puppy

• The Newcastle Armchair

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:20 PM

Brighton v Burnley

Anyones opinion on the result?

Hoping Burnley win it as I think we can drag Brighton right into the mix and we are looking good winners at the moment

• Aces-of-Eights

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:27 PM

Last article it says Benfica turned down 300mill from us for Samaris.. lol

• c-dog

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:39 PM

Munster

I’m not anti Irish. I’m just pulling your leg.
    And I am aware you Irish can’t let go of the past and playing on it.

• The Newcastle Armchair

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:40 PM

Aces of eights

It’s early signs of the takeover 😉

• c-dog

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:44 PM

Anyone remember jibs “it’s happening” comments after his supposed companies house discovery. My, my…

• Jib

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:50 PM

Yeah I was really excited
    but pricks like c-dog call me pro Ashley

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:00 PM

Brighton are a terrible team they play more hoofball than we do!!!

BT done the statistics and they have created the least amount of on target chances in the league

Would be quietly confident we can turn them over when we play them now we have players back fit

• damma99

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:03 PM

Thought Ass hole was going to give us an update on the takeover and why it fell through again.

• c-dog

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:07 PM

Jib

You are not the business mogul you made yourself put to be

• Online Guy

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:10 PM

If…If… Ashley has sold the land at Strawberry place to one of his own related companies in which he owns a percentage, to himself , for half a million pounds, then re-aquired it in a legal loophole and then sold it on for fifty million pounds then this could be the catalyst that sees him drummed out of town .

Chi Onwhara and Nick Forbes need to look into it immediately ..as if the city council haven’t already and are complicit in helping Ashley ?

That’s a question not an allegation.

Are we being played like an old fiddle by the powers that be ? Mislead ?

Newcastle United owned this lease on Strawberry place and Ashley should not profit by one red cent.

Has he tucked £50 million pounds into hisown already bulging back pocket ? He may have just hoisted himself by his own petard.

Chi ?

• lesh

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:10 PM

So, Almiras spoke to Diego Gavilan suggested that he should see NUFC as an opportunity that you shouldn’t turn down and you should go for it – put himself in the shop window and get a move to a well run club that wants to win things.

Ashley’d be happy with that and he’ll be seeing even more money to take from the club he owns and is ripping to bits

• Online Guy

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:14 PM

Lesh

I had seen that Nash interview and the writing of our House. Good few years back .

Nash wrote one song while he was waiting to leave for a flight ..he said something akin to writing a song in 15 mins ..and did . Title escapes me .

• Online Guy

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:18 PM

Bobbee

I know what you mean on the subject of boycotting a match . Like you I followed Newcastle all over the country early 70s ..freezing midweek games down the smoke ..wouldn’t miss them.

I now have the thought that its OK to suspend your support for Newcastle as regards attending while Mike Ashley remains in situ .

Suspend ones support in person but keep the love.

• Jib

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:20 PM

Online Guy
    You are seriously barking up the wrong tree
    with Strawberry place
    SJH bought the land thinking that he could
    spread another bit of property developing
    magic dust round SJP as he had done with
    the Metro Centre but it was a bust.
    Ashley picked it up as part of his club purchase
    and got rid of it as a waste of time as soon as he could.

• lesh

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:23 PM

Online

There’s probably nothing illegal in Ashley buying then selling the Strawberry Place plot. Immoral yes – if he had an iota of decency in him, he’d have sold it and put the money back from whence it came in the first instance and used it to develop the training facility and do some essential maintenance on SJP.

The club’s skint according to Ashley – it’s no freeking wonder if the bustard’s bleeding it dry.

As far as the council’s concerned, it’d argue that it’s obliged to encourage business and investment into the City and I suspect that had it objected to the planning application, it would have been over-ruled by this business-friendly government. I don’t think the T Dan Smith-Poulson matter’s been forgotten yet. The Brazilia of the North? We’ll, that got as far as the running track, a couple of sandpits and an embankment for the proposed City Stadium on the land (the tip) next to Warwick Street and the Ouseburn Viaduct.

• lesh

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:28 PM

Online

And when the stadium project took a rest, the stonework from the then newly demolished Royal Arcade were numbered and stored next to the stadium site. The Royal Arcade was taken down and replaced by Swann House by the Tyne Bridge. The Arcade was never rebuilt. Brazilia of the North? Lofty ideas until the charade was covered and came tingling down.

• lesh

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:29 PM

* came tumbling down even

• lesh

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:33 PM

Online

Nash also recounted the tale about Our House in the intro to the song at this years Celtic Connections. That’s the one I was referring to.

• c-dog

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:35 PM

Jib

You know nothing about the ownership of strawberry place

• lesh

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:36 PM

Jiblets

The original plan was for a casino / hotel. Ashley got rid of it as a waste of time as soon as he could – At a huge profit for himself!

• lesh

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:37 PM

c-dog

Haven’t you tumbled yet? Everything Jib knows is sourced from Google!

• jimiley

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:40 PM

Jib
    You must be Ashleys dad.
    Its a total disgrace that the owner has sold the land behind the Gallowgate end to a property developer.
    It is land next to the ground and should be used to extend the ground.
    You sound like Rio Ferdinand. Its Ashleys money and he can do what he wants with it. Numpty.
    Yeah well the club is Ashleys and he can level it if he wants to. Stupid logic.

• Jib

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:47 PM

lesh

Oh yeah
    How much ?

• jimiley

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:53 PM

Selling off the land is sacrilege. Most fans as usual have not woken up to the carnage that has been going on around them for 12 years.
    He has sold off the crown jewels to make us a 65k super club and in one stroke we are forever a second tier 50k club.
    Its a scandal.
    Crap players and ashley can be replaced.
    But the ground and its potential is irreplaceable.
    I cannot believe that Almiron has more sway than this outrage. Good and bad players come and go, Like owners. But the earth is sacred.

• Optimistic Panda

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:55 PM

Don’t feed the Jib

• Jib

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:58 PM

jimiley
    What part of “not feasible” is so hard for you to grasp ?

• Paully

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:59 PM

Burnley 2 up ffs.

• Jib

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:59 PM

Panda
    You posted the article from 2006
    Did you not bother reading it ?

• jimiley

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:04 PM

Only out of the bottom 3 on goal difference.
    Deep in it.
    Lots of crap teams getting wins. We need to up up game.
    We want another relegation battle next season with Brendon in charge.
    Happy days.

• Optimistic Panda

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:08 PM

Jib

Did you bother to read the post underneath which said “2006”

Tit

• jane

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:15 PM

did any fans/fan groups object to the sale of the land at the planning application stage?

• jimiley

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:17 PM

Supporting the team is a laudable goal but what is the point of it?
    It does not undermine the regime does it?
    It does the opposite. It sustains it. And Ashley loves full grounds for his free ads and multi millions of profits.
    So if you want more relegation battles and relegations, what you need to do is keep feeding the beast.
    He is going nowhere.

• jimiley

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:18 PM

Jane
    I doubt it. They are more worried about the back four or the teams formation or who we get on loan.
    Thats the problem. They do not see the bigger picture.

• jane

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:19 PM

“Hoping Burnley win it as I think we can drag Brighton right into the mix”

3 points separating 6 teams now for last relegation place.

1 2 3 5