Almiron Did Not Seek Any Assurances From Rafa

The news late last year that Miguel Almiron was very keen to play for Newcastle United and he didn’t much bother that Newcastle were struggling with relegation.

His agent Daniel Campo attended the home game against Bournemouth that we won 2-1, and he got some very positive about Newcastle United, St. James’ Park, the fans, and the city in general.

Miguel says at that time he knew Newcastle was the club for him.

He also talked with former Newcastle player Diego Gavilan, and he got only positive comments from the Paraguayan.

Diego was brought to Newcastle by Sir Bobby Robson in 2000 and stayed three years and was mostly out on loan during that period: he played 43 times for Paraguay.

We thought Almiron would have asked about what Rafa’s future was before he signed on, but it turns out he didn’t do that.

Miguel Almiron and Martin Dubravka in training

Here’s what he said in the Chronicle today when asked about Rafa’s future:

“It’s not a topic we’ve discussed; the only things I’ve spoken to him about is me feeling comfortable and settling in quickly so I can bring something to the side.”

“The relegation battle is not something we’re thinking about at the minute; it’s about focusing on the positives.”

“We’re focused together and that will help me to bring what I can to the party.”

“Probably at the end of November towards the end of the MLS season (he knew Newcastle wanted to sign him in January) .”

“But at first I took it lightly and I didn’t want to get caught up in it.”

“I spoke to Diego Gavilan. We wrote to each other and he indicated it is an opportunity that you shouldn’t turn down and you should go for it.”

“Of course I spoke with  my family too but my mind was already made up at that stage, once I knew Newcastle were interested in me.”

“I spoke with my team-mates, my advisers and my agent; they came over here in advance and had a look at the city.”

“They sent back good reports, and I had the same from team-mates at Atlanta, and those reports have been proved true as I’ve had a warm welcome since I arrived here.”

There was news today that the two major candidates for Rafa’s job if he leaves this summer are Brendan Rodgers and David Wagner.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Wolves?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• jimiley

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:25 PM

Relegated 4 times in 120 years.
    Now in a constant relegation battle for the last 12 years with this owner. Two relegations and a third a real possibility.
    We are still supporting this regime with nearly full houses after 12 years.
    How stupid are the fans.
    Its incredible

• Mister Tuff

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:29 PM

Jib/Jane – the sale of land is not a valid planning objection.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:31 PM

I think most fans see the bigger picture and have long since wanted Ashley out, but can’t or won’t support a boycott. A boycott simply won’t work for that reason, in my opinion, you just won’t get the numbers, but moreover, it can hurt the side, which in turn makes us less saleable. Our best bet of being rid of Ashley is when we are safe mid-table looking up. That’s when a buyer is most likely to bite. Some take the view that Ashley simply won’t sell, and so we must boycott. Most think he’s ready to sell for the right offer. Obviously it’s hard to know the owner’s mind.

• Mister Tuff

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:31 PM

Moanster the only cups you’ll get your hands on are the cups of Jibs’ brassiere when he morphs’ into Jane.

Hahahaha.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:33 PM

Just as well we got that win against Man City!!!

Wolves almost now turns into a must not lose game although I feel we will have enough about us to get at least a draw on Monday!

Might struggle to beat Burnley though they look really solid at the back again now that they have dropped Hart.

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:33 PM

Jim iley
    Useless player
    Just my opinion
    Ok on your say so I will stop going to matches

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:34 PM

Yes what happened to Hart
    He is bad now

• Jib

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:36 PM

I think BobbyBee successfully pointed out
    that 52K gates are not what keeps Ashley
    here – it’s the megabucks from Sky.
    Have you cancelled your sports package yet
    jimiley ?

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:37 PM

Almiron looks a little bit like Andrew Lloyd Webber

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:39 PM

Yes jib. Tears
    I may have to stop going because Jim iley says so.
    So so sorry.

• Jib

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:50 PM

• Nicky the ball tosser

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:15 PM

Guardian has us fielding this 11.

…………………..Dubravka.
    Yedlin….Lascelles..Lejeune..Dummett.
    …………………Diame..Ki.
    …….Ritchie……Almiron…..Atsu.
    …………………Rondon.

Can’t see Almiron starting, nor going 4 at the back to Wolves who like to come on.

If we are to go 4 at the back I’d prefer to see something like this……

…………………..Dubravka.
    Yedlin….Lascelles..Lejeune..Dummett.
    …………………Diame..Ki.
    …….Perez……Almiron…..Kenedy.
    …………………Rondon.

……although Kenedy’s form has been a concern.

Still think something like this is our best bet though.

……………………..Dubravka.
    Yedlin….Schar..Lascelles..Lejeune..Barreca.
    ……………………Shelvey..Ki.
    ……….Perez…………………….Almiron….
    ……………………..Rondon.

• jane

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:19 PM

“the sale of land is not a valid planning objection”

Mister Tuff aka smart arse you make a valid point!

ok i’ll phrase it another way

did any fans/fan groups object to the building on the land at the planning application stage?

you really are smart for noticing i also post as Jib!

• Munster Mag

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:24 PM

Nicky there is zero chance of that last team happening sorry mate

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:24 PM

Jane.ive had a drink
    But who are you

• jane

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:27 PM

“But who are you”

i am jane but i also post as Jib when i’m bored. Jib isn’t a real person really!

• Munster Mag

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:28 PM

Jim, the one thing that defines nufc, almost unlike any other club, is our passionate fans who turn up in silly numbers. No point taking the mickey.

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:28 PM

Initially it was not feasible to extend the gallogate due to metro
    But with modern engernearing it was
    That is my take I may be wrong
    I am usually wrong

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:30 PM

Jane
    When I read your post I read them in a female voice
    Apologies

• Nicky the ball tosser

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:33 PM

Yeah, but only because he’s unlikely to play Shelvey and Ki together. But honestly, all Diame does for us is hold our shape and break up play, which you could get Shelvey and Ki to do sufficiently well, if they played to instruction in a side that doesn’t need to sit back so deep because it has more going forward.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:34 PM

The Rafa missed a trick with Mitro crew seem to have piped down with that one mind?

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:34 PM

Brighton dragged into the relegation battle could be a race for who gets sacked next… Hughton or Silva at Everton??

• Munster Mag

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:38 PM

C Dog, we let go of the past years ago on the big canvas because we are a progressive modern European Republic. But we don’t forget our history and just like you teach your kids about the raf and the war, our kids learn about the war of independence, the black and tans and the IRA and how the IRA helped win our independence. Now before some of you think we praise the RA of the 70s, its the old RA we still remember and how politicians of bygone days in combination with military force, forced you off most of this island.

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:39 PM

So Mr tuff what size is jibs cup size

• jane

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:40 PM

also Jail a lot was made in the summer of Fulham signing Seri for a club record.

• jane

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:41 PM

Just a fan i think you may have misunderstood Jib doesn’t exist, i made him up.

• beermonkey

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:41 PM

nicky

is shelves fit

i cant see shelves or diame starting if fit they been out a while now

• Nicky the ball tosser

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:43 PM

Yeah I know he isn’t available for Wolves. I mean when he’s fit. Thinking about our best 11.

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:44 PM

Ok Jane
    I think jib is Stephen fry

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:45 PM

Your not Stephen fry

• Nicky the ball tosser

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:47 PM

Yeah, for Wolves personally I’d be happier to see two out of Hayden, Ki, and Longstaff

• toon22

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:50 PM

You think the clubs still up for sale ?
    Or are we to just forget about this years lie ?

JIB

You are so pro MA its likely you work for the guy,you and all of your alt accounts

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:50 PM

Jane so what size are your cup size

• toon22

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:51 PM

Hiya KBA

😉

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:52 PM

I thought I was jib
    So sorry

• toon22

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:52 PM

Jail for Ashley @61

Yep

• beermonkey

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:54 PM

nicky

seems harsh to drop either heyden or longstaff after the last few matches

• toon22

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:56 PM

So can the PR say one way or the other

Are we for sale still or is this years lie over ?

Who do you think he will pretend to sell too next year?

• Nicky the ball tosser

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:56 PM

Yeah, they’ve been good, but Ki gives us more in possession.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:57 PM

I wouldn’t want to mess about with the midfield too much Longstaff and Hayden have done well and Wolves will have a lot of energy in the middle so its probably not a game to chuck Diame or Ki back into although they could come off the bench !

Against Huddersfield at home I would put Ki back in we need his quality on the ball to break them down!

Its looking like Fulham and Huddersfield are gone now would take an amazing run from either of them and every other team dropping serious points for them to pull off a miracle escape!

It just goes to show that if there is no real structure or plan for signings even if you spend 100 million nothing is guaranteed we got Ki for nothing and Seri went for 30 odd million and I know who I would rather have?!

I would have loved for us to keep Mitrovic and have Rondon that would have been a quality front 2 strikers that a club this size should at least have as a minimum!