Almiron Did Not Seek Any Assurances From Rafa

The news late last year that Miguel Almiron was very keen to play for Newcastle United and he didn’t much bother that Newcastle were struggling with relegation.

His agent Daniel Campo attended the home game against Bournemouth that we won 2-1, and he got some very positive about Newcastle United, St. James’ Park, the fans, and the city in general.

Miguel says at that time he knew Newcastle was the club for him.

He also talked with former Newcastle player Diego Gavilan, and he got only positive comments from the Paraguayan.

Diego was brought to Newcastle by Sir Bobby Robson in 2000 and stayed three years and was mostly out on loan during that period: he played 43 times for Paraguay.

We thought Almiron would have asked about what Rafa’s future was before he signed on, but it turns out he didn’t do that.

Miguel Almiron and Martin Dubravka in training

Here’s what he said in the Chronicle today when asked about Rafa’s future:

“It’s not a topic we’ve discussed; the only things I’ve spoken to him about is me feeling comfortable and settling in quickly so I can bring something to the side.”

“The relegation battle is not something we’re thinking about at the minute; it’s about focusing on the positives.”

“We’re focused together and that will help me to bring what I can to the party.”

“Probably at the end of November towards the end of the MLS season (he knew Newcastle wanted to sign him in January) .”

“But at first I took it lightly and I didn’t want to get caught up in it.”

“I spoke to Diego Gavilan. We wrote to each other and he indicated it is an opportunity that you shouldn’t turn down and you should go for it.”

“Of course I spoke with  my family too but my mind was already made up at that stage, once I knew Newcastle were interested in me.”

“I spoke with my team-mates, my advisers and my agent; they came over here in advance and had a look at the city.”

“They sent back good reports, and I had the same from team-mates at Atlanta, and those reports have been proved true as I’ve had a warm welcome since I arrived here.”

There was news today that the two major candidates for Rafa’s job if he leaves this summer are Brendan Rodgers and David Wagner.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Wolves?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:15 AM

On Mitro,
    The lad clearly knows how to find the net and is most definitely a presence but Rafa obviously saw something in him that just isn’t right. It’s looking like two relegations for him now, will a top ten team come in and pay 20+M for him and set their team up for him to thrive?

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:18 AM

Jiblets,
    A small world we live in, I met someone you know last night ha ha.

• Ben Afri

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:19 AM

Toon22

I hardly ever comment on this site but my word, your constant whinging is incredibly monotonous. It’s not that you’re complaining – that’s fine and you’re entitled to those. This blog is for all sorts of opinions and while not all are equal, you have equal rights to them. However, your continuous accusations that everyone on this blog has somehow “forgotten” Ashley’s lies is unfounded, disingenuous and quite frankly, ridiculous.

Most on this blog,I’d imagine, are fully aware that Ashley can not be trusted, will be the driving force for Rafa’s departure, and is here solely to reap the financial benefits of just scraping by in the Premier League without spending much at all. We all know this and you do not possess any superior knowledge that the rest of us don’t. You’re nothing special in that regard.

What is hard to agree on is what the best course of action is to remove Ashley since its impossible to:

a) Get ardent supporters to boycott games
    b) Determine if boycotting is even the answer
    c) Get foreign NUFC supporters to cancel their Sky subscriptions
    d) Determine if cancelling their Sky subscriptions is even the answer

All we can do until then is support the lads and the manager who leave their blood, sweat and tears behind on the field for us.

• Ben Afri

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:19 AM

Sorry for the repost

• Jib

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:20 AM

Ben Afri
    it needed reposting

• Jib

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:23 AM

Jail
    Although Fulham look like they are gone
    I wouldn’t put it past Claudio to pull off a miracle
    I just pray it won’t be at our expense !

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:25 AM

Ben Afri,
    Did you really need to repost that on the same thread, anybody reading through the posts will pick it up anyway.

• Jib

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:28 AM

toon 22
    reposts thread after thread
    his comment was on toon 22
    Ergo
    Yes it needed reposting

• DubaiMicky

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:29 AM

Re the great unwashed down the road, not content with crapping on their own seats in the stadium of shite, they even crap on the Metro’s seats, https://tinyurl.com/scumberlandpoo

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:34 AM

No it doesn’t Jiblets,
    If people starting reposting on every page change then the blog would be cluttered, there are only half a dozen people posting anyway, anyone catching up on the thread will go through all the pages anyway.

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:38 AM

As for the suggestion of getting Wagner, he couldn’t keep ‘Udders up with a budget squad how on earth is he going to keep us out of trouble. As for Watfords Gracia, why on earth would he want to come here and fight Mike Ashleys relegation battles while having an elderly scout choosing players for him that have absolutely no interest in wearing our shirt whatsoever.

• Jib

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:53 AM

The saddest thing about this Soton supporter
    mocking the Cardiff City fans is the other
    fans around him laughing !

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:54 AM

As for “The club” putting out messages that they’re keen for Rafa to stay, what another load of bollorx, they can’t wait to see the back of him. They must know that Rafa signing a new deal now, after the window is done and dusted would pretty much guarantee survival given the feel good atmosphere it would create. They’ve got absolutely no intentions of offering what he wants to stay. It’s not their normal game of cat and mousewith negotiations and counter negotiations. He’s sussed them out over three years and has obviously given a list of demands that he wants to be done. They’ve not agreed and it’s over with. Personally, I think even if Ashley agreed to them all it’s too late now anyway as how can he be trusted.

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:56 AM

Quite Jiblets,
    And that’s why nobody joined in with your very crass mocking of the lads death on this public forum. Double standards or what. Jeezus.

• Ben Afri

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:07 AM

Jib

Jail

It mistakenly thought it was a different thread

• Jib

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:08 AM

Jail
    When I made that comment it was early morning
    the news was barely hours old and the Beeb was
    reporting flares sighted at Casquets lighthouse off Alderney.
    I made a comment about immigrant boats which
    was all over the news then.
    Misplaced humour but no mockery from me after the facts
    became known.

Does it get cold up there on the moral high ground ?

• Ben Afri

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:13 AM

Jail

Calm down. As I said, I hardly add any comments and this was the first time I’ve repeated a thread and I have already apologised for that. You can climb off your soap box now

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:13 AM

Ben Afri,
    Ok, but you get my point though..

• Ben Afri

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:14 AM

I do get your point. And it’s a point well taken pal

• Jib

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:18 AM

Ben Afri
    This blog is infested with self righteous
    pompous prats , you get used to it after
    a while.

When you start to care about their opinions
    is the time to worry.

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:19 AM

Misplaced humour Jib that you went to great lengths to explain, it was because of the war that you weren’t in that was responsible for your comments. We know, we were here.

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:20 AM

Ben Afri,
    On that note, a jolly good morning to you. I’m off to Wolves tomorrow night, first away game this season.

• Ben Afri

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:59 AM

Jib

Ah, I don’t take offense. No harm no foul

Jail

Enjoy the game

• Ben Afri

Feb 10, 2019 at 9:09 AM

On a separate note, I am well aware that one 20 million pound signing (with add ons) and a loan signing doesn’t BEGIN to give Ashley a clean slate, but my God it’s hard not to be sucked into the excitement of wanting to see Miggy play! How I’ve missed the mercurial talents we’ve seen in the Black & White over the years. Seems like such a long time since Ben Arfa. I’ve come to realise I care more about being entertained and dazzled than by the league position

• Ben Afri

Feb 10, 2019 at 9:13 AM

Nobby pretty much sums it up here for me

“He’s a similar kind of player to Angel Di Maria.

“For Paraguay, he plays as a winger. If Newcastle play a 4-3-3, then he will be a Willian or an Eden Hazard out wide. He’s very lively, he’ll take people on and the Newcastle fans always love the South American players who can do that. The Newcastle fans will love him.”

Feb 10, 2019 at 9:28 AM

Ben Afri,
    Trouble is though when aiming purely for survival it’s very hard to dazzle and entertain. I think those remembering Ben Arfa here do so with rose tinted specs, he made 71 appearances and many of those were very forgettable, some of those wins in that fifth place finish were produced with some of the most gawd awful performances I’ve ever seen.

Feb 10, 2019 at 9:34 AM

Not just by him of course.

• Ben Afri

Feb 10, 2019 at 9:34 AM

Jail

Oh yes, I’m not one of those supporters who gets on Rafa’s back for not playing entertaining football. We can’t afford that. We need to think about everything right down to goal difference, and there is no greater tactician in that regard than Rafa. My comment about entertainment was a very simple one just purely on missing watching one of our players skip passed his marker leaving him on his butt – that’s all. I really do remember Ben Arfa mostly not performing. Just like I remember Robert and Lua Lua mostly frustrating me and right at that moment when I call for him to be taken off, they come up with some sort of magic to shut me the hell up. That’s all I’m referring to and I do miss that.

Feb 10, 2019 at 9:43 AM

Ben Afri,
    I’m surprised the Wolves game hasn’t sold out on the strength of him playing. Maybe a bit too far for all the Southern Mags as well. I still think we’ll have 1500 there.

• Ben Afri

Feb 10, 2019 at 9:53 AM

But thank God for our travelling support who are able to go because we’ll definitely need them cos Wolves fans are really good at being the wind at their team’s back, to their credit.

• Mag :P

Feb 10, 2019 at 10:03 AM

Jail

Just wondering.

Why are you against a really well constructed post being reposted on the same thread, but not against toon 22’s constant retort?

1 3 4 5