web analytics

Former Newcastle Player Offers Excellent Advice

Kevin Nolan joined us in January 2009 and had it tough for the first five months as Newcastle were relegated to the Championship from the Premier League for the first time ever.

If you had asked fans then if Kevin had been a good buy from Bolton Wanderers (£4M) most would have said no.

But in the next two seasons, he helped us to get promoted at the first time of asking from the Championship.

We survived fairly well in our first season back up and beat Sunderland 5-1 at home in the process – and Kevin got a hat-trick.

Kevin saw Chris Hughton surprisingly fired in December 2009 after we were well-placed in the league and Alan Pardew brought in to replace him.

Kevin was the captain for only his last season at the club, and he was an excellent captain and well-liked by the Newcastle faithful.

Kevin Nolan – while at Newcastle

He has been interviewed by Sky Sports today, and he talks about the current situation at the club with Rafa Benitez possibly leaving in the summer.

Kevin said things are not much different when he was here with Mike Ashley reluctant to spend money at the club.

This is what he has told Sky Sports:

“It’s a club that I love and I love going back there and have been back a couple of times, it’s a fabulous place to be,”

“I loved playing my football there and the crowd and that atmosphere.”

“I think Rafa has made his feelings clear about what’s happened, but it’s been like that since I was there with Mike Ashley.”

“He wasn’t going in with his eyes closed, he knew what was expected of him and he knew it was going to be a tough job as Mike doesn’t really want to start throwing money at it.

“Ashley’s done that in January to help, just to try and make sure they stay in the Premier League so that it’s a more saleable asset.”

“For me, they’ve got to stick together.”

“They’ve got to pull in together and they showed that)last year when they finished 10th with that squad and they’ve added to it now.”

“So what they have got to do is prove their worth again as a team – as a squad – and do it for Newcastle and the supporters.”

“Because at the end of the day they have fantastic support and deserve to be in the Premier League.”

“So they should be going into these next games making sure they’re giving their all and if they do, I think they have enough to stay up.”

It wouldn’t surprise us too much if Kevin becomes an excellent manager in the future – he seems to have what it takes.

And hopefully, we can get a win tonight a Molineux and we are above the relegation zone only on goal difference at the moment.

So it’s yet another crucial game for us in our second successive season fighting relegation.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Wolves?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Bobbybee

Feb 11, 2019 at 3:45 PM

Legolas, thank you sir, more confirmation of what I suspected all along. Wonder how I’d get in touch with SSN to pass this on. Howay Jib, you’re the man to get me the email address, I just know you’ll have it in seconds.

• Bobbybee

Feb 11, 2019 at 3:53 PM

Keep it coming though, not heard from anyone in the gallowgate yet. Pretty sure the east stand is free of such garbage. The more the merrier, it gives a better overall view. I will contact SSN if, as I suspect, their numbers are totally unrepresentive of NUFC. Why should we be even considered to be like those ‘darn sarf’ when we know we’re very welcoming to one and all at SJP.

• Jib

Feb 11, 2019 at 3:57 PM

To complain about a programme broadcast on Sky, email us at viewerR@sky.uk or call us on 03442 410 265*.

• Bobbybee

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:05 PM

I thought Kevin did a great job at Notts County. He came really close to getting them promoted and got sacked for it. Look at them now.
    Crying shame to see one of the original clubs of the first league of professional football close to going out the league.
    There is arguments over who was the first club but I believe it was Notts County. They were the first to wear black and white and call themselves The Magpies though. (cursing quietly under his breath).
    I hope they pull through. Shame to see all that history going out the league. Wasn’t that long ago we were playing them in division two ourselves – the old Division Two of course, the Championship to our younger readers

• Optimistic Panda

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:08 PM

Kevin lad I’ll never forget that chicken dance or how I fell down the stairs in the platinum club when Shola sealed the deal..

What a great day that was

• Bobbybee

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:09 PM

Cheers Jib. I will if I get a bit more response. Need a few more for it to be properly representive really.

• Optimistic Panda

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:13 PM

Bobby

I had the Nufc history DVD in the 90s and if memory serves when we formed from the two clubs and moved to the now hallowed ground we first played in red.

The fans on both sides weren’t too keen and attendances were low, to stop all the confusion as loads of teams wore red we changed to Notts county colours. The rest is history.

The reason red is such a popular colour is because when club’s first started forming red was the hardest coloured cloth to get and the most expensive, all owners wanted their teams to look flash!

• Optimistic Panda

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:14 PM

I think we played in red for 2 years, maybe wrong as its over 20yr ago I watched that dvd

• Bobbybee

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:14 PM

OP, for those of us lucky to be there that day, I doubt we’ll ever forget that game mate. Sorry to hear about your trip, but presume no damage was done – Ashley won’t repair it if there was anyway!! 🙂 Seriously though, hope you weren’t hurt.
    What a day that was. Not many left in level seven to celebrate their consolation goal.

• Jib