web analytics

If Rafa Stays – This Is The First Player He Will Want Signed

Salomon Rondon is on loan at Newcastle this season, and when he returns to West Brom, he will have just one year left on his contract.

There was news that Newcastle tried to extend his loan deal through next season while they were negotiating Jacob Murphy’s loan last month.

But that was on the final day of the window, and there was not enough time to do that.

Why did they wait until the last minute?

But it suggests Rafa wants Rondon at the club long term as well as wanting and getting Almiron permanently.

The manager wants Salomon Rondon permanently at Newcastle

Mike Ashley thought Rondon too old at 29 to pay out the £16.5M fee West Brom wanted for their player, so we got him on loan.

But we had to send Dwight Gayle in the other direction – something Rafa didn’t want to do.

The manager has refused to say much about what’s going on and had this to say about Rondon’s situation.

“Everybody can see he is doing well. It is too early to talk about that.”

If Rafa stays, Rondon is the first player he will want Ashley to sign – either permanently or on loan.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Wolves?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• jayphoto

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:19 PM

Genjikai – so excited too! Watched Atlanta last year, Miggy is THE BEST player to ever play in the MLS! Absolutely elated that Newcastle made the decision to take him… it also reminds me alot of when Rafa took Martens to Napoli.
    Shame we all know as a newcastle fan, that if you’re excited then you’re 100% about to be let down

• Genjikai

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:20 PM

Jay you watched miggy much like ?

• RobLeenio

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:22 PM

Bobby, Rafa started Kenedy as soon as he was able to last season, no reason at all why he won’t treat Amiron the same way.

Even Rafa must have been bored watching our football at times this season. He knows very well what the team is lacking, he’s bought the players to provide it and he’ll integrate them as soon as he can.

• lesh

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:22 PM

RobLeenio

Thanks for posting Nick Forbes’ contact details. I may not be the first to do so, but I’ve mailed him suggesting it might be appropriate to anticipate a swell of fans’ concerns about development on land once owned by NUFC before the Mayoral campaign begins.

• lesh

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:23 PM

RobLeenio

And Tino was straight in too!

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:24 PM

Watched Tielemans yesterday in the Leicester game, thought he was immense, in my honest opinion I think he is the closest comparison to Almiron, he hasn’t exactly had much football I think of late, certainly was not doing the business in France whereas he rocked up to Wembley yesterday and looked top class. I think Almiron will do the same, he has the speed of thought that will see him right in the premier League, his decision making seems to be a real strength that hasn’t been really mentioned, now that he will have better players around him giving him what you would hope would be better options I think he will kick on to the next level with us. Im very excited for him!

Also booked my tickets for the Huddersfield game today, driving over from the north of Ireland and staying the night before a dreaded return trip hungover… hopefully from the celebrations! But on a side not I was very surprised to get tickets in the gallowgate this close to the game!

• Bobbybee

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:29 PM

In midfield, Rafa will be his usual ruthless self. He doesn’t do sentimentality and will go on how training sessions have gone. Be honest, would you not welcome Ki back? If he’s fit and ready of course. With due respect to Lobby, he’s going to be a great player, but he has dropped a few clangers mixed in with some lovely play. Ki might not be fully match fit yet, so maybe he’ll come in later?
    As frustrating as Diame can be, he’s a better destroyer than Hayden. This is why I think Miggy might start, because he can only use three subs and two might be midfielders. That leaves cover for an injury or of Miggy tires later on. What is for sure, Miggy needs game time NOW. Games are running out and he didn’t break the record to ease him in gently. He wants him doing what we haven’t been doing for seasons – linking midfield with attack ASAP.
    He’s got selection problems already. At long last we should have a good bench again whichever way he goes. In Rafa we must trust.

• jayphoto

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:30 PM

yeah maybe caught 8-10 games of Atlanta (all on tv tho) last season! Theyre the main team that gets shown on Sky and ESPN coverage and what time the games on benefit me! Almiron was the guy! Id have looked at Josef Martinez too myself, rapid striker! They’ve replaced Almiron with Pity Martinez who again 100% could have gone to europe and done big things, seems their south american scouting is top notch! They’ve got another one coming through too in Ezequial Barco who I think will probably shatter the MLS transfer record in couple years.
    Miggy is the most interesting transfer in world football at the moment as if he does well i’d expect the floodgates to open in european teams pillaging MLS talent and it becoming a stepping stone for young central american and south american future stars! Not saying it rife with talent, it isnt, but personal opinion is that league has 8-10 players that could be big stars. Martinez, Martinez and Barco at atlanta, Acosta at DC, Horta and Rossi at LA etc could all impact big in the right set up

• RobLeenio

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:33 PM

lesh, I hesitated to post the contact details but these details are publicly available and he is a public figure asking for our support. I think it is entirely appropriate to expect his support in matters important to us in return.

I would go as far as to suggest that if he is not prepared to back a culturally important institution in the heart of what will be his jurisdiction, then he does not deserve to be our Mayor.

It’s entirely up to others whether they choose to point this out to Cllr Forbes in turn.

• DubaiMicky

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:36 PM

• Jib

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:38 PM

Tino’s debut was 23 years ago yesterday
    I was at the massive public urinal on the Tees
    on that occasion .
    What a day !!!!
    We won 1- 2 and scored all the goals
    (Beresford og)
    We ended up the season 2nd behind Man U
    and 7 points ahead of LPool in 3rd

• DubaiMicky

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:39 PM

Apols, just saw that was published yesterday.

The question is, can I stay up for a midnight start my time….

And if I do, do I watch it on a stream or go to the pub?

• lesh

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:39 PM

NY Mag

Don’t be too hard on Jib. Google only provides information which he appears keen to post without question.

• lesh

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:46 PM

RobLeenio

I think most of us know who’s responsible for frustrating transfers. Barnes is the buffer between Rafa and Ashley and he’ll be sitting on any requests before even thinking about looking at them if and before he deems them as worth submitting them to Ashley for his countersignature. I haven’t bothered mentioning Charnleh for obvious reasons.

• martoon

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:48 PM

Bobby – I noticed you mentioned me a couple of times in your posts yesterday – sorry I never replied but it was a very busy Sunday!
    It’s not often I disagree with you but I don’t think he will start Miggy and I’d like to see Longstaff and Ki in centre mid (if fit enough) as I think Diame and Longstaff is a bit too negative. I think we can get a result tonight as we’re bound to defend and play on the break and Wolves are uncomfortable when they have to take the lead as demonstrated against Cardiff.

• lesh

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:50 PM

Jib

You seem so keen to lead the cheering for Ashley and even suggested it’s job done with the squad having two players for each position. You seem to be following the Ashley model – a player’s a player and quality doesn’t even come into it!

• Jib

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:54 PM

Mr Tuff I was actually right

Of the 2 holding companies
    Mash is the main vehicle
    St James is solely for the
    clubs debt to MA

But I didn’t want to get in a ruck
    with a good blogger

• RobLeenio

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:55 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention Nick Forbes’ twitter is @nick_forbes

• Jib

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:56 PM

lesh

I only mentioned Rafa in relation to the squad

Only a one eyed prick like you would read anything
    else into my comments.

• lesh

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:57 PM

RobLeenio

You make sense but in fairness to Forbes, the way planning laws are these days, lobbying for NUFC, for example, without the legal basis to do so is inviting trouble through the courts.

I’d suggest that any communication implying a suggestion of incompetence on his part might be going too far – he is but one of many councillors and officials.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:00 PM

Well lads that’s me on the way, see youse the morra
    HWTL

• lesh

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:01 PM

RobLeenio

It’s reported that Steve Harper, who by his own admission knows nowt about politics, has been sounded out by the Tories about standing for North Tyne Mayor. That suggests they’re planning a dirty campaign possibly involving matters NUFC. Just like brexit – target emotions and ignore the facts.

• lesh

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:04 PM

Jail for Ashley

Off to Blackpool again? You seem to get a lot of holiday – do you ever go anywhere else!

• martoon

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:11 PM

Lesh @62 – according to this Harper ” he has a keen interest in politics” but “he’s not been formally asked”

• Genjikai

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:15 PM

Steve harper was the worst wicket keeper ever.
    Couldnt believe watching him play cricket he couldn’t catch the ball even with his keepers gloves on.
    Great servant to the too though stick with footy.

• Genjikai

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:17 PM

Lesh bit harsh on the makem trolls on here taken the mick about blackpool itll be a yearly trip from now on for them.

• Genjikai

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:18 PM

Sad mackem bastards

• RobLeenio

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:27 PM

Leah not suggesting folk be disrespectful just point out the basics.

IE if he wants to represent us then he has to, well, represent us.

I would suggest using Chi Onwurah as an example

• Mister Tuff

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:27 PM

Jib – as long as you know your place – fine.

Never heard Rafa talk as much about attacking as the last couple of weeks.
    Wolves have a porous defence but can play decent stuff with many players really comfortable on the ball and probably more that can shoot better than us. So very dangerous and hard to call.

Having said all that I deifinitely think Almiron will start -and Barreca (in place of Dummett).

Almiron will occupy Wolves – hopefully causing other openings.
    This lad is a NATURAL footballer.

• Mister Tuff

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:28 PM

and future Superstar.

• Just a fan

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:30 PM

Re almiron
    I have no idea what he is like as a player.
    I often prefer that when we buy.
    I have no pre conception’s of what he is like just a clean slate and hope for the best.

• Bobbybee

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:30 PM

Mart, I do actually say I expect him to start on the bench, but wouldn’t be surprised to see him start. I’d like to see him start, but I haven’t seen training and trying to second guess Rafa. ? 🙂
    On midfield it’s tougher. Up until now we’ve only had two midfield players fit and available so they picked themselves.
    I like young Lobby, I think he’s a star in the making, but he has given the ball away in some dangerous places. Luckily that hasn’t cost us so far, but will Rafa go back to what was working before, or what’s worked recently? 🙂 That’s why I’m glad he’s manager and not me. And when Jonjo is fit to play it gets harder. Despite what some say, I think Jonjo is our most creative midfielder and will work well with Miggy. I think he has to play when fit.
    But that’s what football is all about – differing opinions. We can disagree without the bitter twisted name calling and discuss it like adults.
    I’ve given up trying to second guess Rafa mate, well only know what he’s doing at seven o’clock. I can’t wait. 😉

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:37 PM

No lesh,
    Wolves, got another week at home.

• cyprus

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:37 PM

One down with ten minutes to play, having been outplayed.

Don’t switch off!

We score from a corner, an unlikely defender.

We convert the penalty.

1-2 🙂

• cyprus

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:38 PM

Almiron on, 70th

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:39 PM

Jiblets,
    Like I said a small world we live in. I ended up back at someone’s house on Saturday night and got talking to a guy who turns out to be none other than Fas Dean (Faisal). Anyway we get talking and I mention that I was asked if I knew of him by some guy on a blog. When I said that it was from a former taxi driver and a couple of other choice descriptions the guy got proper spooked.
    It turns out that Fas was a bit of a lad back in the day and was a dancer in one of the nightclubs in Newcastle, they used to get him a taxi home in the early hours and a regular driver was a guy from North Shields, proper bullshitter, always going on about the celebrities he knew and all his houses in Spain, said he had a multi million pound Satellite business with a contract for the Spanish Royal family and Real Madrid etc. Anyway it turns out that this guy takes a bit of a shine to Faisal and turns up one night dressed as a woman, saying he’d been to a fancy dress party, Vas realises he’s steaming drunk and every time he goes to change gear…… so he legs it when they stop at lights on the Felling bypass and never sees him again, heard afterwards that the police were after him and he’d done a runner to Spain selling timeshare. I wonder if it’s the very same?

• Optimistic Magpie

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:42 PM

Not worried aout Miggy, someone pointed out he played in the prem in Argentina, those games are fast and tough, tackles flying in. Here is his current playing stats.

He began his career at Cerro Porteño and transferred to Lanús in 2015. After winning the 2016 Argentine Primera División, he signed for Atlanta United FC for $8 million. He was named in the MLS Best XI for both of his seasons in Major League Soccer, as well as MLS Newcomer of the Year for 2017. After helping Atlanta to the MLS Cup 2018 he signed for Newcastle for £20 million, a club record and the highest fee for an MLS player.

Yes for me the MLS is not a tough as the Prem, but the MLS has grown over the last 5 years and now watching the games players are rough and ready and tackles are flying in, if he managed to win the Prem in Argentina and come out of that unscathed I have that feeling he will be fine, I know one of Wolves defenders has been told to give him a quick kick to see how he handles it, that will tell the fans alot about the kid, hope they try that in the penalty area.
    One penalty we still deserve from the last game.

• Bobbybee

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:45 PM

Interesting poll on Sky Sports about racism. Over 79% I think it said, have heard racist abuse at games.
    I sit in the NW corner Leazes End. I can honestly say, I’ve never heard any racist chanting or abuse for over a decade. Nil. Nish. Not a peep.
    Whether that’s just the people around me being respectful and decent human beings, I don’t know, or whether that’s a reflection of SJP in general. Honestly, I’ve heard none – or I would speak up. No time for that shit frankly.
    Can I ask. Let’s be honest, say where you sit in the ground and say if you’ve heard any yourself. We’re all anonymous after all, I’m just shocked at the figure they present,having g not heard ant in ten years at least.

• martoon

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:54 PM

Bobbybee – I sit in the Sports Bar (Leazes) and like you I can’t recall the last time I heard any racist abuse. I’ve heard Perez get called a lazy Spanish so and so but I don’t really class this as racist more like stereotypical name calling.

• lesh

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:59 PM

RobLeenio

I ‘m not keen on the idea of Nick Forbes being targeted about the planning application. He’s Leader of the Council and won’t necessarily have been involved in planning decisions and thus I believe personal attention would be grossly unfair..

If there’s going to be a target – it ought to be Ashley in the first instance.

Maybe the Chron and the national media should be ecouraged to run with an investigation into yet another example of Ashley’s greed and total disregard for Newcastle United, its fans, heritage and the City.