Jose Mourinho Was Keen To Sign Newcastle Captain

There are various reports out that if Jose Mourinho has still been the Manchester United manager he may have tried to sign Newcastle United captain Jamaal Lascelles.

Jose wanted a commanding center-back for the Red Devils side and Jamaal was one of the central defenders he seemed to rate.

But with Jose being fired by the Red Devils on December 18th he didn’t go after Jamaal last month.

But a commanding center-back is still the number on transfer target this summer for the Old Trafford club.

The former Nottingham Forest player signed a new improved deal in November that keeps the Newcastle captain at the club until 2024.

Jamaal Lascelles and Rafa Benitez on November 1st last year
Jamaal signed a six year extension to his contract

The initial report is in ESPN and while Jamaal had an indifferent start to the season he now seems to be in top form when it really matters.

The other central defenders said to be interesting Mourinho at the time were Leicester’s Harry Maguire, Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireld, Atletico Madrid’s Diego Godin, Colombia international Yerry Mina, and Bayern Munich’s Jerome Boateng.

Rafa Benitez appointed a young 22-year-old Lascelles captain of the club in the summer of 2016 and since then he’s been an excellent captain.

Rafa seems to have complete confidence in the player and expects him to keep improving under his guidance.

Jamaal has played 127 times for Newcastle with 8 goals and 3 assists and this season he has played 22 times in the Premier League.

Wonder how much Jamaal would bring in the transfer market – not that Rafa will be selling him any time soon.

• Bianconeri

Feb 14, 2019 at 5:41 PM

Music interlude.How many can remember this Local band.
    Voted best debut Albumn by Kerrang.

• DaveD1000

Feb 14, 2019 at 5:54 PM

Bianconeri

I’m sure Barry Winlow is me old mucker Kootch. He played Bass in my brothers band The Ugly Brothers. I thought it was Winslow and only because some bugger kept sending a friend request on FB. I only ever knew him as Kootch who drank in the joiners in Morpeth.

• Bianconeri

Feb 14, 2019 at 6:04 PM

Aye DaveD1000 that’s him.I liked the Ugly Brothers too,canny band without naming names the vocalist did some Frankie Miller stuff.I gave him a Frankie Who t shirt.Some great bands from up here that never got the right break.Bob Davidson and Nigel playing Bubbles in Ashington tonight

• DaveD1000

Feb 14, 2019 at 6:09 PM

Aye Bubbles was always a favourite gig
    That singer just messaged me back when I said is that Kootch……Aye it is the Legend Himself.

• Online Guy

Feb 14, 2019 at 6:10 PM

You say you seen the figure 2.4 million somewhere Jib but you gave me that figure as though it was fact after I told you the lawyer handling the sale of said land had told me the fig I reported here . I could not help having the thought “is Jib with Ashley on this in quoting a lower figure as fact when Iv just told him the Lawyer handling the sale has told me that it’s north of 6.5 million”

Jib ..stop defending the pariah . Give it a shake man !

No not that !

• Bianconeri

Feb 14, 2019 at 6:15 PM

DaveD1000 tell J.D. am asking after him.I was a doorman @ Bubbles for awhile 😉

ps is he playing again?

• DaveD1000

Feb 14, 2019 at 6:17 PM

He has never stopped. Him and Mac did a duo thing for awhile as the Hoodooz. It’s mostly buskers and depping for mates as his shifts as always mess things up.

• DaveD1000

Feb 14, 2019 at 6:25 PM

Apologies for the muso takeover. I’m sure i’ll get pelters like the other guitarists……..hehe

• DaveD1000

Feb 14, 2019 at 6:32 PM

K
    JD says hello to Big C**** lol

• lesh

Feb 14, 2019 at 7:34 PM

Stavely’s re-emergence is timely.

Ashley exposed as one who can’t be relied upon to be a genuine seller: Two sources close to earlier failed attempts to buy the club say so in the Bloomberg piece – Stavely and who knows, Kenyon?

The local rags are on to Ashley selling club land – presumably with outline planning permission granted by the city council.

Stavely alludes to investment in local amenities ala Citeh.

Could we hope that the City Council see some benefit from Ashley selling to Stavely’s PCP and in the light of the Bloomberg exposé of Ashley’s antics and Staveley’s appearance that Ashley’s under pressure to stop playing silly buggers, show some good faith and negotiate with the intention of selling?

No? Thought not.

• Jib

Feb 14, 2019 at 7:36 PM

Lesh
    It’s Valentines
    Instead of your usual Online Guy
    brown-nosing you could maybe give him a bj
    😀

• Rotonda heights

Feb 14, 2019 at 7:37 PM

Thought mourinho complained he had no ball playing defenders. lascelles would hardly have changed that.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 14, 2019 at 7:38 PM

Jib

Why do you always have to let yourself down.

• Jib

Feb 14, 2019 at 7:46 PM

Rotonda you called Ashley a sexist pig
    with no evidence of that at all
    Shut your mouth there’s a good lad

• Mag52

Feb 14, 2019 at 7:58 PM

So glad that Amanda Stavely has come back into the reckoning as a buyer of NUFC ( or not, as the case may be )
    Not too bothered about how much there is to this story, but isn’t it great to see that gorgeous face looking out at us bloggers instead of, say, Ashley, Charnley, even Rafa can’t compare with the delightful Amanda.
    Bring on as many Stavely related stories as you like ed !

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:14 PM

Ashley may or may not be a sexist pig but it’s good to see his mentor Phill Green being taken down a peg or two for his blatant ripping off of his staff. How do these people sleep at night, the 360M won’t even put a dent in his fortune but he’d happily have ruined thousands of lives to prevent paying it. I hope he loses his knighthood.

• lochinvar

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:26 PM

Post transfer window and post take over rumours we now have…..you guessed it ” we didn’t sell our Captain to Man Ure as we ain’t a selling club ” etc etc etc ” ” You should be thankful” Love Mike

• Bobbybee

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:30 PM

Jail, sorry for late reply. My comment re not judging because you weren’t there was based on something you said ages ago about not going then and being glad you didn’t.
    Nobody is excusing it mate, just saying it was a sign of the times. I missed out on our one and only night of glory because of the Rangers game. I was 11 or 12, but my mam said I couldn’t go to the final even though my granddad had tickets. There was no way on this planet she was letting me go after the Rangers riots.
    Threats of running away and accusations of child cruelty fell on deaf ears – and she was right. It was no place for a bairn of any age and that was the sixties..
    Whoops! Lacazette sent off. Naughty boy. 🙂
    But even in it’s heyday, you could generally avoid it at home games if you so chose. What game was it? And when? 80s I presume? Not many teams came up in great numbers except cup games or promotion sealers. Still, sorry you got caught up in it all, nasty thing for any bairn.
    I’ve said many times I’m glad it changed because I loved going with my lad, but certainly wouldn’t have taken him back then.
    It was what it was. I don’t think anybody even give it much thought. We all went primarily to watch the lads. I don’t know of anybody who only went to fight. We were all fiercely loyal Mags. It was all about the football, except maybe against Sunlun, where loyalty and pride were taken a bit far. Nobody went to fight, but if it kicked off it kicked off. Its difficult to explain it in hindsight.
    I think there were people who, later on, got involved in organised violence, but that’s out of my remit. I went to games to follow the team and sometimes I got caught up in it, more at away games than home games. Nobody I went with went looking for trouble, we were all Newcastle daft – some things don’t change – but if it kicked off it never stopped us going back. That was just part of it we accepted without even giving it any thought. It was like that before we started going to games so we literally never thought about it.
    To be totally honest, most of it was BS anyway. One set of fans running at another and then if they didn’t run there was a flurry of fists and boots and then lots of BS. It was more mouth than action if truth be known. 🙂 And if it did get tasty, nobody got involved who wasn’t game for it.
    You certainly can’t explain it logically. There was nothing logical about it. And it wasn’t at every game either. It wasn’t as prevalent as you might think. Most games went off without incident.
    It was all tribal nonsense that has been blown out of proportion by dickheads writing books about how tough they were, in a nutshell. The hype was far worse than the reality.

• Mindshaft

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:35 PM

Was wondering how long it would take for the usual posters to revert to type and start slagging each other off again…. doesn’t take them long to spoil the blog for everyone else – we don’t actually care about your sexual preferences or anything else you may or may not be involved with – just talk about the toon , thats what the blogs for.

• Bobbybee

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:45 PM

Got to say, what a good move it turned out for Ross Barkley going to Chelsea. He went from being a bang average player going nowhere in a hurry, into a damn good player with a great future for both club and Country.
    As, someone once said, ‘funny old game ain’t it’? 🙂

• Bobbybee

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:53 PM

Chelsea one up away, Celtic one down at home. If Celtic concede again, they might as, well not turn out for the second leg. Valencia are no mugs home or away – but especially at home. They need something to take over there.

• Bobbybee

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:57 PM

I’d like to say ‘nice to see Michael Owen on BT Sport’, but let’s be honest, no it isn’t. 🙂

• Bobbybee

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:10 PM

Oh dear. Celtic now two down to Valencia…

• lesh

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:18 PM

Rotonda

Why does Jib let himself down? It comes naturally to anyone who’s naturally pompous, pretentious and foul mouthed.

The seemingly civil Jib is nothing more than a charade and he’ll inevitably revert to type – as we see daily

• Bobbybee

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:21 PM

Nice second goal for Chelsea. That should wrap it up barring any disasters. Unlucky for Malmo really, they were putting Chelsea under the cosh a bit and then Chelsea score on the break. Willian set it up for Giroud to flick it home cleverly.

• lesh

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:21 PM

Bianconeri/ DaveD

Music on a football blog? Some say ‘tsk tsk’, I say bring it on. 🙂

• lesh

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:23 PM

Bobbybee

But surely Owen makes a pleasant change from Ferdinand?

• Nicky the ball tosser

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:37 PM

Interesting to me that Harry Winks anchors Tottenham’s midfield. He’s more a playmaker than a hard nosed DM. Can see Longstaff doing the same for us, or even Shelvey or Ki. With three at the back you don’t necessarily need an enforcer in front of them clattering the opposition. It’s more about getting goalside and pressing the ball. You might even get all three in on occasion.

Continuing my obsession with ways we might set up.

………………Dubravka.
    …..Schar…Lascelles…Lejeune.
    Yedlin……..Longstaff………Barreca.
    ………..Shelvey………KiSy.
    …………….Almiron.
    …………………..Rondon.

• Online Guy

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:38 PM

Jail

you have really went too far with this comment ..absolute disgrace saying this to Jib.
    Your brain is wired up different to the rest of humanity ..Disgracefull comment from you.
    You should apologise to Jib immediately.

I can see Jib is having a pop at me above but I forgive him as he can dish it out but he can also take it.

Jail 3;53 , Feb 14th

“Jiblets,
    Around about the same time you were trying to touch young men up in taxis!!!”

Disgusting Jail. You need to say sorry and hope Jib accepts it . Scum comment.

• Bobbybee

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:38 PM

Lesh, Adolph Hitler would make a pleasant change from Ferdinand mate, (no pun intended with historical figures either) but still doesn’t change the fact that its not nice to see Owen – ever.
    Last night it was brown nose Ferdinand and Paul ‘call me the guv’nor’ Ince.. I mean, being called ‘the Guv’nor’ is respectful when other people call you it because they think you deserve it. But when you demand it because YOU think you deserve it, is just downright cringeworthy innit? 🙂 I’m fact, it’s embarrassing, let’s not beat about the bush.
    Malmo just got a goal back. Game on?

• Bobbybee

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:44 PM

Nicky, yep, that does it for me mate. We’re strong enough at the back as it is – Yedders ain’t always as bad as the other night after all – and that would be an interesting attacking formation.
    Can’t wait to see Shelvey feeding Almiron tbh. Exciting pair to have together.

• Online Guy

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:50 PM

Bob

Cannot stand Paul Ince . Whinged on about managers..had a few goes himself and failed miserably..really thinks he’s something, demands respect he does not deserve ..give him a medal for whinging though …all day .

Hes got a flawed ego.

• Online Guy

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:53 PM

Betty

It looks like your vain attempt at taking the Piss was just that , in vain.

• Munster Mag

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:54 PM

Jail, Mr outrage who forgives nobody, are you going to be big enough to apologise to Jib for bringing paedophilia into the conversation?

• Bobbybee

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:02 PM

Oh well, a result for Chelsea and a decent game to watch. You would think the tie should be over, but after watching how Chelsea capitulated against City – an average team we destroyed so easily – you just never know. 🙂 ( It sounds nice to say it even if it isn’t true).
    I’ve got Oak Island to catch up on so see ye all tomorrow no doubt. I think the old slave found the treasure tbh but it makes an interesting watch regardless. Love a good treasure hunt. Been searching for our silverware for 50 odd years so I get how they feel.
    There’s actually a Canadian Mag involved in it, he always wears his Newcastle hat.

• Bobbybee

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:05 PM

Online, I know, ‘call me the guvnor’ still has me in stitches. What an ego. What a pillock. G’night. 🙂

• lesh

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:06 PM

Ohhh, Bobbybee

Those guys are of those who’s arrogance and ignorance make us wonder just what does it take to be a pundit for Sky?

In fact, what is it with Sky? I’ll have nowt to do with anything Murdoch and he, Ashley, the Philip Greens of the world often make me ask myself ‘why?’ Why are creatures like them put on the earth? It’s overcrowded as it is!

• Oldgit1

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:11 PM

Munster Mag/ Online guy, jail for Ashley aimed a simular slur on my character which was disgusting and uncalled from. Now this comment to Jib. I find his posts disgusting and he has no creditbility left. As I said in reply to his comment he should do one. I believe he should now comply with my request.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:41 PM

Lesh
    Never bought a Murdoch paper
    Never bought a Sky subscription
    Can’t even support Sky team cycling even if they are British
    Find the man and his companies more repugnant buch of liars than Ashley.
    Stitch up their own reporters lied to the Government Rebecca Brooke’s lies under oath and still got away with it

• Nicky the ball tosser

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:51 PM

I think the lay of the land at Newcastle has slowly changed under Rafa. The pace of change obviously slower than it should have been because of the owner’s fiscal conservatism. But I think we just might have finally got a group to compete without fear of relegation. Obviously we still need to see ourselves clear this term, but from here on in if we can begin to improve in the areas that Rafa is asking for, the training facility, the Academy, the scouting network, then we have a real chance of pressing on and becoming the force we really should be given our size and support. With the addition of perhaps only one or two upgrades each window, whether through canny scouting or bringing them through the Academy, in unison with Rafa’s preparation of the side in an appropriate setting, just might mean that bright future that Rafa once spoke so often about might finally be within our grasp. Ashley now needs to allow the club to grow organically under Rafa while he continues to find a buyer. The two aims needn’t be at odds. They can co-exist.