Rafa Benitez Reported To Be Keen On German Left-Back

German magazine Bild are reporting that Newcastle are keen on 18-year-old Hamburg left-back Josha Vagnoman.

The 6ft 1ins defender may be the left-back Rafa finally brings in to challenge Paul Dummett for the number one spot at Newcastle.

Vagnoman can play in either full-back position, and he has so far played 15 times for the club who were relegated last season in second bottom place.

He has played twice so far for the German U19 side and is reported to be a tough player on the wing with speed and potential.

Hamburg are currently second top of the Bundesliga 2 table just one point behind leaders FC Cologne.

Impressive 18-year-old Hamburg left-back Josha Vagnoman

One area Rafa hopes to improve in the summer are both full-back positions and give some real competition to both Dummett and Yedlin.

The fee for Vagnoman is said to be around £6.5M, but the Hamburg club say they don’t want to sell him this summer.

Sporting Director Ralf Becker has said this about the defender:

“Josha has developed very well. We find him very exciting. He has a contract (through 2021), we plan with him and we are not ready to talk.”

Here’s another 18-year-old Rafa seem interested in signing this summer and his contract runs out next summer.

Earlier today we reported Newcastle are also keen on 18-year-old MK Dons striker Martin.

Rafa is always keen to bring in top young players, so it’s possible to develop them into top players once they are on Tyneside.

• ronaldo aarons

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:06 PM

Roberts, Sorensen and sterry have returned permanently.

• ronaldo aarons

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:09 PM

Jib, hope the rumours you heard of Sorensen being in the Blackpool squad this weekend weren’t from your source who says the sale is on. 😉

• RobLeenio

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:10 PM

Cheers Ronaldo Aarons, always first with the breaking news.

Makes sense for them to come back – the U23s need them to push for promotion, and if they’re not getting much (or any) game time on loan then they’re better off here.

• ronaldo aarons

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:14 PM

Yeah competitive football is the best but if that’s not happening, any football will do. U23 level is fine. Maybe they may get to train with seniors which will help and if we get safety guaranteed soon, they may be thrown an odd sub appearance here or there.

• beddersmag

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:18 PM

Hey folks, Does anyone know if the bar under the stadium (used to be Shearer’s) still has the match on for 3pm ko’s?or anywhere in town to watch it this Saturday? Any advice appreciated ?

• Just a fan

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:20 PM

Jail
    Abusing him is a bit strong criticism is not abuse.
    I used to say to myself well he was cheap and he is tall
    Until one day a corner came over he went to head it away and it went back towards our goal.
    Don’t know how he managed that.
    Anyway I thought that’s it he is just not good enough.

• martoon

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:22 PM

ronaldo aarons@1 – I haven’t really followed the fortunes of the loaned out players – I know Sorenson wasn’t getting any game time but were the other two not either?

• Mag52

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:27 PM

Tsunki.

You’ve got to hand it to those Blackpool fans who, for the last five years, at every home game, marched up to the stadium and at kick off marched back home again. The grand old Duke of York had nothing on them.
    The joy among those spectators on the first Saturday following the Oystons’ departure was, apparently, something quite special.
    It’s high time the FA seriously had a look into owners who are not acting in the interests of the local community.

• Jib

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:27 PM

ronaldo Aarons

me too !!!
    ha ha ha

• ronaldo aarons

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:27 PM

Martoon
    Not sure about sterry but Roberts wasn’t. He had a two or three short sub appearances when he got there but he’s spent the rest of the time on the bench.

• Jib

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:34 PM

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:44 PM

Mag52

One of the people interviewed on Saturday was Tony Green, during the Blackpool celebrations!

• martoon

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:48 PM

ronaldo aarons @10 – Cheers and presumably Sterry wasn’t either otherwise they would not have recalled him as well. Maybe this is the reason the club are looking for a Loan Manager (I so wanted to say arranger 🙂 ) so they can spend time to ensure players go to a club that are a good fit and give them some game time and also they will have time to properly monitor them when on loan.

• Jib

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:53 PM

martoon
    do I call you kimosabe ?

• Bobbybee

Mar 13, 2019 at 4:00 PM

Jib wasn’t wrong with what he said about Blackpool. Sorenson was, going to be in the first team squad this weekend, I’ve just read the same report.
    Too late it would appear. The whole purpose of taking someone on loan is because you’re short in the position and you’ll give the lad playing time. They’re not short of strikers.
    Gateshead can still take loan players I believe, so maybe a short spell there wouldn’t harm him. Competitive football at that level is better the U23s.
    Good to see the whole academy system getting the shake up Rafa wants. Promises of a ‘marquee signing’ being bandied about too. Who decides what a marquee signing is though? We’re actually not that short of a decent side – as long as we have Rafa anyway.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Mar 13, 2019 at 4:03 PM

Would Rondon be classed as a Marquee signing?

As to my mind we need Rondon signed and another striker of similar calibre so if we traded Rondon with Gayle and spent 20 odd million on that Joel Linton boy we would finally have our Mitrovic replacement as well as being setup with strikers for the next few seasons!

Then sell Joselu to China then you would have Rondon , Joel Linton , Perez and Muto as your 4 strikers with Sorenson / Toure about the first team squad

• lochinvar

Mar 13, 2019 at 4:08 PM

Jib and Martoon
    Old joke

Tonto and the Lone Ranger are surrounded by a horde of Red Indians

Lone Ranger turns to Tonto and says ” looks like we’re done for Tonto, all those Indians surrounding us ”

Tonto ” speak for yourself Kimosabe “

• Bobbybee

Mar 13, 2019 at 4:10 PM

Almiron has, brought a new dimension to the attack. His runs create space for Rondon and Perez like they’ve never had before. Defences already know how quick he is in short bursts and every defence fears pace and control. He has it in spades.
    Now I can’t wait for a fit and keen Jonjo to start picking his runs out. The Three Amigos are going to cause havoc. We need Rondon signed up ASAP.

• Bobbybee

Mar 13, 2019 at 4:21 PM

This unbeaten home run has brought a new lease of life to SJP. FIVE WINS?!! 🙂 Who could have seen that coming earlier in the season? Wins breed confidence and even on Saturday when we were two down, we were always in it and looking like scoring.
    I did say I thought the one who would benefit most from Almiron’s arrival was Perez and so it seems. He’s a different player. He should’ve had a hattrick really on Saturday.
    Not before time either. When he arrived he showed so much potential that never really happened. It’s finally happening.
    Just imagine if Ashley stood aside and let Rafa do his job? One good signing has transformed the team going forward, so three or four next season would let us forget relegation and win a cup. A real cup, not the pure Micky Mouse one the mackems are getting excited over. Not sure what’s more embarrassing – not winning the Checkatrade trophy against Pompey, or winning it. 🙂

• Jib

Mar 13, 2019 at 4:32 PM

Talking of the unwashed
    Adam Johnson is released a week on Friday
    They reckon if he is to continue playing he’ll
    have to go abroad.

• bettyswallocks

Mar 13, 2019 at 4:32 PM

Tsunki……… You make a valid point about not lining Ashlie’s pockets but I honestly don’t see enough fans joining forces to make enough of an impact to dislodge the fat man.
    More of the same year in , year out is not a palatable proposition for us fans and I would gladly join in with any action if there were enough numbers to have the desired effect . Unfortunately a few positive results , particular the win against City, courtesy of our genius manager seems to pacify the masses and lull them back into a sense of acceptance.

• Bobbybee

Mar 13, 2019 at 4:35 PM

Talking about Pickford on Talksport. He was an embarrassment on Saturday. He allowed himself to get involved AGAIN with our fans. That’s not the first time. He’s always done it, but Saturday it went tits up for him.
    Why does he always try to make a basic save look spectacular? Isn’t he getting a bit old for that at 25? He’s a good shot stopper, but he has to throw his legs out when there’s no need.
    He’s lucky Southgate trusts him. Heaton can’t be that far behind him. (Burnley having a wealth of goalkeeping talent).
    It’ll be interesting to see how he behaves next season. Can he ignore the digs or is he actually just still a sad mackem chav behind the money?

• Bobbybee

Mar 13, 2019 at 4:49 PM

Betty, the ticket money is the smallest income. The TV money is what keeps Ashley here. The PL and Sky should step in and threaten to withhold the money unless he shows he’s using it for the right reason. Its For NUFC, not Ashley’s private piggybank.
    I’ll be still paying the 2009 ST price in the 22/23 season, due to the ten year deal being extended. The ticket money is neither here nor there. If it was, we wouldn’t have had that deal extended. I wasn’t even asked! It was just extended. So from 2009 – 2022/23 without a rise. Its the TV money and advertising that brings the most in. Could be even more if he took his crap down and made way for more advertising.

• bettyswallocks

Mar 13, 2019 at 4:50 PM

Bobby……. He’s too highly strung or ought to be!!

• bettyswallocks

Mar 13, 2019 at 4:54 PM

Bobby ……. I was referring to Pickford , although to see Ashley lynched by an angry mob and then drawn and quartered would be nothing less than he deserves.
    I agree with the TV money being the reason Ashley is hanging around as well as the free advertising etc etc etc etc .

• Bobbybee

Mar 13, 2019 at 4:58 PM

Betty, he’s from Washington. Could’ve been either a Mag or a Mackem and he chose the Dark Side. He just can’t shake that chaviness from him every time he plays us. He was offering fans out ffs. He may have been joking but he can’t do that. A player got smacked on Sunday in the Birmingham derby for no reason, what would’ve happened if somebody took him serious and ran on the pitch?
    He’s the England keeper. He needs to lose that shaky mentality that allows him to be wound up like that. Even after he contributed to our comeback, he was still at it. Immaturity that could cost him his place. I’d drop him if I was Silva. He cost them three points. Cheers chav. 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:06 PM

Bobby,
    He’s put a price freeze on because he knows that even loyal fans like you might get pushed to the limits when/if Rafa Is pushed out, he does care about the 25M a year ticket money. A lot.

• Bobbybee

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:07 PM

Betty, I think Ashley would sell, but he won’t budge on that price. Maybe a lynch mob is the only answer? 🙂
    It looks like he’s willing to meet Rafa somewhere in between. Rafa won’t get everything he wants, but if he’ll settle for some of it he might have a deal.
    We’re advertising for an academy manager to look after the loanies, which is a step in the right direction. Rafa wants more players like young Sean coming through. We’ve created space to bring in some quality young players, which Rafa also wanted.
    The main thing he wants though is control of the budget, so we can sign the likes of Rondon, with no sell on value.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:11 PM

If it wasn’t for the prize freeze thosands more would have chucked them in, he knows this and is therefore cheaper to take a hit on inflation than nothing at all.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:15 PM

It used to stick in my craw when people applauded Mikey for the price freeze like it was done for the benefit of the fans, it was to make the affordable football a bit more easy to stomach.

• Bobbybee

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:19 PM

Jail, neither of us know the reasoning behind his price freeze, but the latest one I wasn’t even consulted over – it was just added on. I would’ve paid the extra every season since 2009 had the price freeze not been available. I expected a raise next season but its not happening. I’ve no idea why the deal was extended because, like I say, I wasn’t consulted. I phoned in to ask why I hadn’t had a reminder to renew and how much it was going up, only to be told my deal had been extended. It can’t bother him that much or he would’ve stopped the deal. There’s nothing stopping me walking away if I chose to. I’m not beholden to buying a ST if I don’t want one. I can walk away any time I want. The price doesn’t decide it. I’d pay the extra. I was ready to. I still think Rafa is searching for a reason to stay.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:20 PM

Swallocks,
    To see him in the streets of the toon trussed up like Mussolini would be one for the ‘istory channel.

• bettyswallocks

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:28 PM

The problem for Fatty and his PR cronies now is that they’ve burnt all their bridges with almost all the fans. They won’t be able to put a PR spin on Sheik Mealy’s lies anymore without the majority seeing through it.
    It will be very interesting to see how they explain the sale falling through , Rafa’s demands and subsequent departure if they’re not met and the plan of action for next season.
    I really hope if Rafa does go and a poor replacement is installed that the fans revolt collectively .

• bettyswallocks

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:30 PM

Jail……… Death by a thousand cuts would be appropriate. The cuts could be administered by the lucky winners of a fan’s raffle or sweepstake.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:31 PM

Bobby,
    I know you wouldn’t, you’ve said before. I’m saying many others would, it’s not just a case of cancelling though is it, you’ve got to decide six months in advance of the next season and people are afraid that they’ll cancel, lose their deal and something happens.

• RobLeenio

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:33 PM

Has anyone seen NYC Magpie on here since his post after the final whistle? I’m a little concerned he’s sunk without trace in a sea of Newcy Broon.

It would be careless in the extreme to have misplaced our shiny new mascot so soon.

• Munster Mag

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:35 PM

Rob I was called a shill too by tsunki’s hero. Don’t leave the paddies out bro

• RobLeenio

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:39 PM

Bettys there would be no explanation possible except for the obvious, namely total and utter incompetence.

I’m clinging on to hope that Rafa will stay as I just don’t see him giving up on NUFC just yet. I’m prepared to admit it may be a forlorn hope however.

This revamp of the academy is interesting though. Beardsley and Dave Watson gone and to be replaced. New positions created. Ben Dawson promoted to academy director or equivalent.

From small acorns and all that. I do wonder how much of an influence Rafa has had on the various changes. I’d like to think it’s significant

• Bobbybee

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:40 PM

Jail, seriously, that’s nonsense. I don’t know anybody who’s only staying because of the freeze. I’m not. I’m staying because its what I do – I’m a supporter.
    Had the price gone up, I’d have paid it. I moved up here so I could carry on going to the games, not because the ST price was frozen.
    Everton was a sell out crowd. Over 52k. We’re winning at home so people come to watch. The atmosphere has improved greatly these last few home games. No doubt there was, fans there who claim to be boycotting too.
    How much is a ticket nowadays? £40. I’ve no idea tbh. I haven’t bought one for so long I don’t know how much it is. People were happy to pay it on Saturday and were duly rewarded with that second half performance. I know I’m paying nothing like £40 a ticket.
    If I stopped going, he could sell two more tickets, at £40 a go.
    Like I say, we don’t know why he chose to extend that deal but I’m glad he did because I’d pay the increase and still go. He’s losing out, not me. But trust me, I’m not only going because the price is frozen. That has zero bearing on my attendance. If the price had increased, I’d still be there. They’re my seats until I die mate. Newcastle till I die are not just words. It’s a promise.