Rafa Benitez Reported To Be Keen On German Left-Back

German magazine Bild are reporting that Newcastle are keen on 18-year-old Hamburg left-back Josha Vagnoman.

The 6ft 1ins defender may be the left-back Rafa finally brings in to challenge Paul Dummett for the number one spot at Newcastle.

Vagnoman can play in either full-back position, and he has so far played 15 times for the club who were relegated last season in second bottom place.

He has played twice so far for the German U19 side and is reported to be a tough player on the wing with speed and potential.

Hamburg are currently second top of the Bundesliga 2 table just one point behind leaders FC Cologne.

Impressive 18-year-old Hamburg left-back Josha Vagnoman

One area Rafa hopes to improve in the summer are both full-back positions and give some real competition to both Dummett and Yedlin.

The fee for Vagnoman is said to be around £6.5M, but the Hamburg club say they don’t want to sell him this summer.

Sporting Director Ralf Becker has said this about the defender:

“Josha has developed very well. We find him very exciting. He has a contract (through 2021), we plan with him and we are not ready to talk.”

Here’s another 18-year-old Rafa seem interested in signing this summer and his contract runs out next summer.

Earlier today we reported Newcastle are also keen on 18-year-old MK Dons striker Martin.

Rafa is always keen to bring in top young players, so it’s possible to develop them into top players once they are on Tyneside.

• RobLeenio

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:42 PM

Munster sorry mate there were very many of us.
    😳

• Just a fan

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:42 PM

If he put the prices up you would be calling him a greedy b
    I for one appreciate the freeze on prices and cheep cup tickets

• RobLeenio

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:49 PM

I like the idea of a loans officer to negotiate the terms of an academy player going to another club. Ben Dawson hasn’t got time to do that properly and he hasn’t got time to keep in touch with the lads while they’re away.

Hopefully whoever comes in has a good rapport with a bunch of managers and can tell if they’re lying when they say our players will get loads of game time.

It’s probably not a common skill set so presumably won’t come cheap.

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:02 PM

I can only go on myself and the lads in the seats around me. By that, I can include the next five rows at least behind me. None of them are going anywhere. I recognise some of them from home and away games going back to the seventies.
    Then there’s my mate I used to travel with from Chesterfield. He now lives in Keighley. He’s going nowhere.
    So really, everybody I know at the games, those I talk to anyway, will still be there in ten years time. Christ, you wouldn’t even dare leave early where I sit, you’d get tortured. 🙂 Not that anybody would. Everyone I know who goes regularly are no different to me. We’re die hard fans. If the price increased, we’d find a way to pay it. We all hate Ashley, but Newcastle United come first. The last few home games have been brilliant. When you suffer the crap, when it goes well it makes it all worth while. The lows are low, but the highs are high. When that third goal went in on Saturday, the buzz was electric. 🙂 I can’t give that up. Wouldn’t want to.

• RobLeenio

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:03 PM

Looks like the club are also looking for a new coach at U16 level, so the rumours earlier this season that the academy was going to be scrapped below U18 look to have either been wrong or the plans have changed

• toon22

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:11 PM

Can’t wait till they drag out next years sale lie
    It’s going to be an utter car crash

8th times the charm 😉

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:13 PM

Just a fan,
    The price freezes are brilliant, but they’re not the reason people still go. They’d go anyway. I’m well happy I’ll still be paying 2009 prices in 2022/23 because if the price had increased, I’d still be paying it. They’re rewards for loyalty and I’m happy to accept it. ST prices have increased for those not on the deal. If you’re going to go anyway, you’d be mad not to sign up to a deal that freezes the price for 15 years! 🙂 I’ll happily sign up to the same deal until I die tbh 🙂 Mmm, wonder if Ashley would agree to that?!!

• Oldgit1

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:16 PM

@ Robleenio. I agree with you recent football related comment, but you crossed a line with regards to your political views. There is a reason why Ed has issued a ban on politics on his blog. Suggest you keep your comments to yourself.

Don’t want to fall out with you but your past comments really annoyed me. Keep to football mate.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:17 PM

Just a fan,
    He did put the prices up. He has not frozen the other tickets for no reason. It’s not for the benefit of the fans, he’d be charging SD for advertising if he cared for the club. As for cheap FA cup tickets that only started happening when Rafa came in.

• beddersmag

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:19 PM

Hi folks, Does anyone know if the bar under the stadium (used to be Shearer’s) still has the match on for 3pm ko’s?or anywhere in town to watch it this Saturday? Any advice appreciated ?

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:21 PM

Bobbybee,
    We know you would, you keep saying that, he’s seen the amount of people that chucked them and done something about it. You can’t walk away any time you want though can, your DD starts in January so you have to make a decision to walk away in six months time.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:22 PM

bedders,
    No idea, ring the box office 0844 372 1892.

• hibbit

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:22 PM

cup tickets should have been free never mind cheap, when you look back at all the years the club haven’t been bothered to even put on a show or even try to win them !!!

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:25 PM

Looking forward to the Liverpool game tonight. They can’t afford to get knocked out. Looks like they’ve thrown the PL title away. Can Klopp survive another season without winning anything? Probably, but he needs to win something big soon I reckon. They had the league in their pocket and let it slip. City have recovered and press on relentlessly again. It will be interesting if Liverpool need to beat us to win the league, although I imagine City will probably stay in front now. We stopped Spurs finishing second, allowing Arsenal to overtake them on the last day. We stopped Chelsea finishing in the top four. Liverpool will get no favours from Rafa. He’ll want to beat them. So do I! 🙂

• Mindshaft

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:29 PM

I’m guessing nycmag is enjoying the rest of his holiday
    without the need to come on here , he did come on after the match to say thanks to everyone

• RobLeenio

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:31 PM

Oldgit1 fair enough mate point taken.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:33 PM

hibbit,
    After Churnleys admission we should all have our money back for every cup game we’ve attended.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:34 PM

Bobby,
    I hope their PL title hopes come crashing down at SJP.

• RobLeenio

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:43 PM

I’d still rather see Liverpool win the title than see man city win yet again. A proper football club that plays good football, is not continually under investigation for breaching FFP and promotes players from its youth academy rather than relying on buying them.

That said, obviously I’d like to see us stuff them at SJP, whether they’re in the title running still or not

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:44 PM

I think we were all aware that survival took precedent over winning a cup when we bought tickets. We paid a tenner pretty much well aware we would be seeing the squad being tested.
    We knew Rondon couldn’t be risked, so we expected Joselu to start surely? I did. I was happy to see kids brought in and tested at a higher level. We knew we’d be seeing a weaker team in the Cup games before we stepped into the ground.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:46 PM

RobLeenio,
    My Scouse mate at work said a club like us should be happy with 12th and PL safety, their arrogance is insufferable.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:49 PM

Bobby,
    I’m more on about before it was a tenner and we were safe as houses when Pardew threw it against Cardiff or the 5K that went down to Leicester when we should have been safe as houses.

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:53 PM

Jail, couldn’t agree more! 🙂 There’s nothing better than bringing one of the big spenders down to earth is there mate? Like I say, we’ve done it to Spurs and Chelsea. We beat City too, but Liverpool failed to take advantage of it. I’ll love it – LOVE IT – if we beat Liverpool in our final home game. What a way to end the season at home.
    If we can’t win it, don’t care, who wins it tbh. I’m not sure I could handle the radio phone ins on Talksport if Liverpool won it though. They’re a nightmare about the 70s and 80s still. Some of them weren’t even born and they still harp on about it. You’d never hear the last of it at work. You’ll be putting in for a move!! No, not sure I could handle them winning it 🙂

Mar 13, 2019 at 7:08 PM

Jail, I was there at Leicester. Great turn out but the team was a joke. No excuse either. I took my nephew to that as a birthday treat. Some treat that was!! 🙁
    Whilst Rafa’s been here though, he’s had to put survival first just to keep any hope of him getting his project up and running. He needs the PL money to do it after all. If he ever sees it.
    That said, I still believe he wants an excuse to stay. Tbh I thought the academy would be the biggest ST tumbling block, but Ashley actually appears to be doing as he asked. That’s a good sign that Ashley might be prepared to try and keep Rafa. I don’t think Rafa will take much persuading, but he’ll want cast iron assurances this time. Surely even daft lad must realise Rafa is his most valuable asset.
    He doesn’t want to change the team in one window, that’s not happening, but he wants to know he can improve the team every window. That’s not much to ask for. To compete. Get safe and really attack a cup with our strongest side. Buy a few real quality players, like Almiron, in the summer – first team quality – and we can compete. As long as Rafa’s still here. Keeping Rafa has to be Ashley’s target and that means doing as he wants.

Mar 13, 2019 at 7:10 PM

Dunno where that ST came from 🙂 Bloody phone has a mind of its own.

Mar 13, 2019 at 7:11 PM

Jail, wasn’t “the best coach in the PL” in charge at Leicester? What was he thinking?

Mar 13, 2019 at 7:15 PM

Jail, that scouse accent is made for whining innit? 🙂 I love it on talksport when they lose. The meltdown is wonderful. 🙂 You’re bang on though – insufferable. Imagine if they won the league? You seriously would have to demand a move. 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 13, 2019 at 7:42 PM

Bobby,
    I shut him right up when he said our league titles don’t count, I said how many you won
    18 came the obvious and arrogant answer,
    No you haven’t I said, you’ve won 14, No we haven’t
    I said well if the four you won before 1927 don’t count then you’ve only won 14. And we’d won six FA cups before you’d even been to Wembley you Scouse git.
    😀

• Tsunki

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:06 PM

Betty from way earlier – yes I agree.

• Just a fan

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:20 PM

Jail I’ve been paying cheep cup tickets for at least five years
    It may be league cup I don’t recall
    But if your wrong your blinded by your Ashley hatred

• Just a fan

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:23 PM

Robleeno
    Talk anything you want
    I may like it or not
    Your never disrespectful

• Just a fan

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:24 PM

Old git is not called that for nothing

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:28 PM

Away goal for Liverpool. Bayern need two now. Lovely goal from Mane. Clever.

• lochinvar

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:33 PM

Bobby,
    Plentiful posts tonight.
    So right about being a supporter for life. I was going to complain that the club had made an error on my season ticket renewal but then realised I had another discount for reaching a certain age. Mustn’t grumble.

• Jib

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:34 PM

Bobby
    It would do me heid in to be sitting next to one
    of those friggin’ drummers !!!

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:34 PM

Can’t see anything but a Liverpool win. Bayern not the team expected tonight and not attacking enough. Liverpool look more like scoring than Bayern.

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:40 PM

Jib, aye, noisy buggers. 🙂

Loch, I’m not going to complain if I never have another increase. 🙂 Although, like I say, I would’ve paid any extra. Couldn’t believe my luck when they said my deal had been extended.
    Oops! 1-1. Own goal. Didn’t see that coming. Game on now.

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:47 PM

What a difference a goal makes, Liverpool need to get in at 1-1. Much better game now. In for a cracking second half I reckon.

• Bambams

Mar 13, 2019 at 9:08 PM

That Buendia for Norwich has just done some pass to Pukki, unbelievable ! Then scored from the return.

Crazy ‘ elevated back heel pass ‘

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 13, 2019 at 9:12 PM

Just a fan,
    I think you’re mistaken. It’s three years.