Newcastle Pull The Plug – Recall Three Players From Loan Deals

19-year-old Elias Sorensen was again left out of the Blackpool squad for last night’s home draw against Doncaster Rovers.

And that was enough for Newcastle and the Magpies have recalled the Danish teenager and he will be available to play for the Newcastle U23 team for the rest of the season.

He has scored already scored 19 goals for the team so far this season.

Sorensen played only 32 minutes for Blackpool since January after several lower-level league clubs had been interested in taking him on loan in January.

Elias Sorensen – will now play for the U23 team

Blackpool manager Terry McPhillips has left him out of the previous seven squads – so we are not sure why he wanted to bring the teenager in on loan in the first place.

A statement from Blackpool read:

“The club would like to wish Elias all the very best for the future.”

The striker has just been called up by Denmark’s U20s for their friendly game against Romania in Spain on March 25.

And both Callum Roberts and Jamie Sterry have also been brought back to Newcastle after they have not been getting enough playing time during their loan spells since January.

Roberts has been at Colchester United and Sterry at Crewe Alexandra.

Sterry was not in the squad last night in Crewe Alexandra’s 0-0 draw against Cambridge,

Roberts has not been given much playing time and he made only three sub appearances for Colchester.

It’s timely that Newcastle will invest in the Academy and U23 setup for next season.

And the club will hire a loan manager whose job is to send young players out on loan to get them first team playing time.

These three loan deals have been a waste of time for Newcastle and the youngsters this year.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Bournemouth?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• The next Mike Williamson

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:06 AM

I think I read a few days ago, Rafa said no to two young players the board wanted to buy. If that’s true, does anyone know who they were? And does anyone think Murphy might have came in a similar fashion? Rafa has never seemed that keen on him.

• simon376

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:07 AM

Exactly Bobby. First thing that should be done is stop or at least limit the ads in sporting events. Also don’t think betting organisations should be allowed to sponsor clubs or anything. They removed smoking from formula one all those years ago and hasn’t affected the sport or money at all

• martoon

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:11 AM

Bobby – I’m never in favour of wholesale bans because some people have an addiction whereas the majority of us don’t. However maybe the advertising rules should be a lot stricter along the lines of the alcohol ones?

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:14 AM

The next Mike Williamson,
    Just my opinion of course but I think Murphy was a compromise by Rafa to show he could be flexible with the U25 model, o think everyone knows who his first choice was. So we got him then Ashley put the block on anymore signings and basically shafted him, leaving an untested Murphy to hit the ground running.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:17 AM

As for the other Murphy being able to shine, Warnock himself has admitted just being in the PL was a bonus and nobody expects them to stay up, so therefore nowhere near the pressure to get results.

• Bobbybee

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:19 AM

Between reading posts and writing them, I have to pass an ad for Paddy Power!
    I have a little flutter on my Super Six choice, but only a fiver and that’s it for me, but I don’t have a problem and don’t even think about it. It’s just a bit of fun once or twice a week during the season. If I lose, I lose. If I win – happy days.
    People like me aren’t the problem, but for somebody like Merson it must be a nightmare. £800k? Wtf is that about? Everything he worked for gone. But hey, when the fun stops eh? I think the fun stopped for the likes of him a long long time ago. Self destruct button well and truly pushed.

• Tsunki

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:21 AM

Dummett fills in once at CB and there’s an unrelenting thread of people wanting him to play there permanently. Why? Dummett has something a CB doesn’t need but a FB does – pace. I doubt Benitez will sacrifice that especially when he has enough CBs to cover any way. FB is a more vulnerable position in this squad still although it’s better served than it was back in the Santon era.

• Tsunki

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:26 AM

Merson falling foul of the gambling bug now is he? He probably has mates who do gigs advertising these betting sites so if he’s got a problem he’s in the wrong company. Addiction is all around us, from Macdonald’s and Coca cola lacing everything with flavour enhancers and sugar, energy drinks, alcopops, gambling online to video gaming nearly every big industry is trying to get us hooked on something. They call it brand loyalty. But it ain’t that.

Strangely it exists in a way with supporting a football team. Funny that.

• Bobbybee

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:27 AM

Mart, not talking about wholesale bans mate, just the constant barraging of ads when a match is on. The second before ko. Half time. Between games. It can’t be easy for an addict when they’re constantly offering deals nine stop.
    Advertise by all means, but those constant ads are not aimed at you or me mate, they’re directed at people who do have a problem, that’s the trouble. It’s like a smackhead living with a dealer. The temptation is always there.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:28 AM

Tsunki,
    I was racking my brains earlier for the LB in that Santon via Ryan Taylor replaced???

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:29 AM

That replaced Santon

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:30 AM

Walking and typing while avoiding dog shite a d cars 😮

• Rotonda heights

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:33 AM

Glad I’m not the only one who feels that way about the ridiculous amount of betting advertising. Its absolutely relentless and everywhere, TV, radio, social media etc and as Bobby says ”when the fun stops, stop” is so, so lame.

• martoon

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:33 AM

Bobbybee – I’m pretty sure they’ve banned the adverting during matches pretty recently?

• Bobbybee

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:35 AM

Simon, exactly mate. They said Formula One couldn’t survive without the revenue from smoking, but it hasn’t just survived, it’s prospered.
    I don’t want them to ban advertising, just to ease up when there’s a sporting event on TV. If you want a flutter, you know where to go, you don’t need it in your face every few seconds.
    Tsunki, you may be right, but the difference is games are limited! 🙂 There’s a big gap in the summer too. And sadly that gap is getting close now.
    Only eight more games and then a break until August.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:36 AM

Jose Enrique, how did I forget that???

• Diddly

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:44 AM

Re Merson. I myself have got help and counciling for a gambling addiction. He works for a company ie sky that promotes and advertises gambling. Bit like a alcoholic working behind a bar. Will he leave sky very much doubt it. If he seriously wants to sort himself out he needs to move away from them.

• Bobbybee

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:49 AM

Mart, if they have, nobody told BT or Sky! I was, watching BT last night and they were on constantly. Like I say, I’m not for a total ban, and frankly I manage to ignore them myself – but they’re not directed at me. I can empathise with the likes of Merson, it must be nigh on impossible to watch a game without picking the phone up. He beat it once and you have to wonder what effect those constant flow of ads had on his falling back onto it. If you’re an alcoholic fighting it, you don’t get a job in a boozer do you? If you’re fighting gambling addiction and love football, you’re struggling aren’t you?
    I don’t want to ruin the gambling industry, I’m not against reasonable advertising for anything, I just think you need to consider who those ads are really aimed at. They wear people down who are addicted.
    Anyway, I just hope Merson beats his demons again. No wonder the suicide rate is so high amongst gamblers. His entire pension blown. Nearly a million quid. Not to mention his savings and earnings. That’s not normal, that’s a real illness. It’s heartbreaking really.

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:53 AM

Eddie Howe is no mug, he now knows this is a different Newcastle United he will be facing.
    Bournemouth are pretty much the same team where else we are totally different now having the three Amigos playing as a unit.

Yes I know we were different team also against West Ham but now we are also a different team after Everton, let face it no one really thought we could come back and win.

I hope this week Miggy gets his first goal for Newcastle, god the kids been close every week.

Newcastle to win 1-3, Migs, Perez and Ronnie all getting a goal a piece.

• Bobbybee

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:54 AM

Diddly, problem is, he’s not cut out for working a normal job now mate. His only skill as such is football. He earns a lot of money and it’s unlikely he’ll leave such a cushy job.
    He beat it once, but he clearly has an addictive personality. He was heavily into the coke and drink as well as gambling. He’s constantly fighting an uphill battle. He’s got suicide candidate stamped all over him sadly.
    He beat it all once, hopefully he can get help and beat it again.

• Diddly

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:03 PM

Bobby. Ya right its all about realising you have a problem then getting help for it. I still have a bet but I am not chasing and going in bookies or on line all day like i used to. Councillors were great and do a fantastic job. It’s asking for help is the hard bit.

• lesh

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:05 PM

The next Mike Williamson

I’d guess that the Club’s still using Carr to identify potential signings for Rafa. Ordinarily that should be ok but in the absence of any agreed strategy (which by definition should be based on aims) and therefore manpower planning (player recruitment and development) which should identify what type of players are required and when, players are being presented to Rafa as a take it or leave it choice. Crazy.

Having Rafa and his network available to the club should be built on – let Rafa identify what type of player he wants, the type of characteristics he wants, then over to Charnley to get them signed up. In essence, that’s partially happening to the point where club policy gets in the way and prices etc come into to play and Rafa’s targets are heroes!

It’s really time for Ashley to stop being pig-headed and build on what he’s got available to him – Rafa and his network could work for the club if Rafa was given a budget to work by.

• IrishRob

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:06 PM

Afternoon lads! Does anyone know if Barreca is injured. He played his first game just after he signed and looked good, but not even a place on the bench since. He must be injured right??

• posada

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:10 PM

Re betting. For me the big problem now is what they call in play betting. It’s constant. How many yellow cards, next corner etc etc.
    30 years ago you had a bet on the horses as Bobby has described. It could if you were careful be a life time of enjoyment.
    Ray Winston with his stupid exaggerated accent advertising in play betting is awful.

Who does their money in. Well a lot of folks who do don’t actually have much. They do their giros in by the Saturday afternoon.
    In a working class area I know there is a cross roads with a bookie on every corner. Bet Fred, Ladbrokes, William Hill and Paddy Powers. They are open til late. Big premises not the bookies of old. Upteen flat screen tellies. Mini theatre type seating in one. Several staff on.
    4 of them within a stones throw. Not 1 or 2, but 4.
    They are there for a reason. They are raking it in and most who go there don’t have much in the first place. The bairns of those people will be suffering as well I can tell you.

• Bobbybee

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:12 PM

Nostradamus, should be a good game this weekend mate. Playing away suits us as, well and Bournemouth will come at us.
    Personally I’d play Jonjo in this game. He’s the ideal player to get the best out of Miggy and that electric pace. Just simple balls through the channel for him to run onto will cause all kinds of problems for them. More effective from midfield than the long ball out of defence imo. Miggy’s not a 100 yard sprinter, his pace is all about 20-30 yards or even less. His acceleration is his real strength. Jonjo can bring the best out of him with his accurate balls through the channel or over the top. It’s that killer pass we need and nobody does it better than Jonjo. It won’t work every time, but when it does it will produce goals.
    He’s been injured, not off form and truth be told, he’s been carrying that injury all season at least. He’s fit again now and I’d play him because a fully fit and committed Jonjo is a sight to behold. He’s been our best player since he arrived and he seems to have got his short fuse under control now. I’m more worried about Ritchie on that front! 🙂
    Get him in and get him supplying the The Amigos up front. Ki was pretty average against Everton after all.

• posada

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:13 PM

In play betting has been the norm in India and the far east for decades.
    Mad obsessive gambling.
    It’s been imported here.

I see lads getting pop up adds on their phones encouraging them to bet.
    Dreadful.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:15 PM

Is our away pedigree not a bit overhyped this season?

We have only beat Burnley and Huddersfield away from home is that correct?

We seem to have got the majority of our wins at home……..

• posada

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:19 PM

Someone said a few days ago that Ashley was seen out with Wise ?
    I thought they had fallen out when Wise insisted on being paid his 1.5 million a year contract for finding players on U Tube.

If that’s right it is a very bad idea. Wise and Old Man Carr will be in his ear. Need to do this Mike need to do that.

Ashley is a bit weird. Like most reclusive types from Howard Hughes to Michael Jackson they only trust a select few people.
    For us it’s always been the wrong few people.

• Jib

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:26 PM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party
    We beat Saint Paddy’s Athletic away in the summer

P:

• Jib

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:26 PM

😛 even

• Bobbybee

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:27 PM

Posada, exactly mate. You see shops closing and bookies opening in their place. I’m not a fun killer, I like my wee accy on my SS and it paid for new flooring and decorating the front room when it came in the time before last 🙂 I do however feel for those who can’t say no and, as you rightfully point out, the families who go without because of it. It’s every bit as addictive as heroin and booze. Possibly more expensive because you don’t black out when you reach a certain limit!
    Like anything, if kept under control its not a problem, but there are people who simply can’t control it and they’re the ones who need help. As Diddly says, accepting you have a problem and getting help is the first and most important step. Maybe a Sky Sunday Special where every other ad is for gambling anonymous, not gambling, might be a step forward, but I can’t see that happening. Its all about the bottom line and sod the consequences.

• martoon

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:37 PM

Bobby – I’m not sure how they were getting away with that

Unless it doesn’t apply to Champions League?

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:39 PM

IrishRob,
    Nobody knows, he’s looking like a Doumbia.

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:42 PM

Bob-Bee.
    Totally agree with Jonjo, I do like Ki but he did seem a little out of place last game.
    I do feel Jonjo did enough in the little time he had to show his class and I feel Rafa may feel the same way.
    I really want to see a vintage Jonjo passing the ball through crazy slots and the Amigos latching on with a first time smash into the top corner of the net.

• Bobbybee

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:50 PM

Mart, it’s a voluntary thing that clearly they’re not sticking to. The last ad before the game kicked off is always one for gambling. Although you could argue that’s not whistle to whistle like! 🙂 It’s just before the whistle I suppose. They’ll always find a way around it.
    I’m watching the games tonight mate, so I’ll take particular notice of what happens before during and after, because you’ve got Chelsea starting at six, followed by Arsenal at eight.
    I know talksport are following Cheltenham this week and they’re advertising gambling all the time on here.

• Lindisfarne

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:51 PM

“” There were 63 games last season in which one team had 70% or more of possession, up by a factor of almost 200 on 15 years earlier. That means there are games elite sides win easily and, even when they don’t, the football is less attritional than it was.””
    Johnathon Wilson

• Bobbybee

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:54 PM

Anyway, been fun but I got to go for now. Been very respectful today as well, with no sniping at each other. 🙂 Be nice to each other lads, its more fun that way. Later.