Rafa Talks About Jamie Harley And All The New Technologies The Club Are Already Employing

There was just an excellent interview given by Jamie Harley, Newcastle’s Head of Sports Science, and he gave an in-depth interview in  ChronicleLive for an in-depth interview and it was great reading.

It shows that Rafa – who has always been interested in technology for football purposes is applying the top technologies and the top people at Newcastle.

The article was published back on May 6th.

The players are subjected to blood tests to see what condition they are in and if any potential injuries are on the way.

Jamie Harley talks with Rafa Benitez
You can see Jamie in the dugout on match days

It’s just fascinating reading.

This is what Rafa has recently said in the Chronicle about the Head of Sports Science – Jamie Harley:

“I will give credit to Jamie because he did a good interview talking about everything we are doing,”

“I’m sure a lot of managers do similar things. But it is true we have a lot of things under control.”

“And the relationship between my coaching staff, the new coaching staff, the people who were here before, the medical staff – it’s a very good relationship and we talk all the time.”

“I remember the team, for two years in a row, were at the top for injuries in Premier League before I came.”

“But, after, we were the best team in the Championship in terms of injuries. And we have been around second, first, third for that in the Premier League this year.”

“When you have a cruciate ligament injury, you know it’s a long-term injury.”

“But we don’t have too many [soft-tissue injuries] and that is because the communication between everyone, and the effort they put in on that.”

“I come from Spain, I have a degree in physical education. We went to Italy. So we have seen things in a different way and a different level.”

“Then we have an idea and we try to follow this idea.”

“If you are doing the same thing all the time, it will be great doing this.”

“But we have been around, traveling, going to America and everywhere; every time we are traveling we learn something from someone.”

“We bring people here to give maybe three days of training to the physios, or three days with the fitness coaches, or we have new software from China.”

“We are open-minded and forward-thinking – and we have a good relationship with the people here before and the new people, too.”

If you want to read the excellent Chronicle Live interview with Jamie Harley in Chronicle Live – here it is.

Wonder when Newcastle are going to sign up Rafa Benitez for at the very least – another three years?

Who Was Newcastle's Player Of The Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Optimistic Panda

May 14, 2019 at 4:05 PM

Munster

I’m all for calling a spade a spade

You’re a bull shitting stirer who knows nowt about football.

Happy?

• RobLeenio

May 14, 2019 at 4:15 PM

Jamie Harley is a seriously smart guy, been with the club for 10 years and is an Associate Professor at Durham Uni.

The fact that we had such a poor record with injuries before Rafa was surely not down to him, but down to a lack of investment in his team and his tools.

The fact that we have had a much better record since Rafa arrived suggests that Rafa has influenced the turnaround, but he won’t get involved in the nuts and bolts of how the department works – that’s Jamie’s job.

So, credit to Jamie for turning things around. Credit to Rafa for facilitating the changes Jamie has made. Credit to the club for listening to Jamie’s recommendations and requirements and acting on them, but for Christ’s sake, why did they not listen to Jamie sooner?

• Jib

May 14, 2019 at 4:15 PM

Oh dear Panda’s been at the drink early again.

• Optimistic Panda

May 14, 2019 at 4:18 PM

Theres been numerous articles interviews and videos which either state or suggest that Rafa hasn’t been involved or wanted certain players that have been signed, from different posters and even threads that Ed’s written for the blog.

Yet Munster Cyprus etc are still to post any evidence that Rafa was directly involved in said transfers, Munster is so thick hes even said lots of managers arent involved in transfers yet still makes out its Rafas error.

I’ll weigh up the evidence on offer instead of listening to a bitter little man with a chip on his shoulder like Munster

• Jib

May 14, 2019 at 4:19 PM

Rob
    Probably cos Kinnear Pardew and Carver are coaching dinosaurs
    and McClaren wasn’t here long enough.

• Optimistic Panda

May 14, 2019 at 4:20 PM

Jib

I’ve got a job pet, unlike you I dont need to drink or change clothes to have a set of balls.

If you got out more instead of living your life on here you maybe able to see past the end of your nose.

• Jib

May 14, 2019 at 4:29 PM

Panda
    The blogs answer to Paul Merson
    Hic , burp , yadder yadder

• NY Mag

May 14, 2019 at 4:30 PM

Op,

This is allegedly what Rafa was quoted to have said when Muto signed (I have no idea if its true – so make of it what you will)

“I am really pleased to have Yoshinori Muto with us. We were following him for quite a while”

• Optimistic Panda

May 14, 2019 at 4:35 PM

Jib

Hahaha, everyone on the blog knows your favourite pass time is drinking cheap cider out of a tramps jock strap dressed as a woman.

Make out I’m a drunk, everyone knows you are!

• Ron Knee

May 14, 2019 at 4:37 PM

So we’ve wasted £10million on Muto. Chris Grayling can sp..f that in 10 minutes!

• Optimistic Panda

May 14, 2019 at 4:38 PM

NY

Yeah I read that too, I also saw the interview when Rafa said Murphy wasnt ready and was one for the future. Unfortunately people like Munster prefer to call Murphy a failure or error.

• Jib

May 14, 2019 at 4:53 PM

Harps to leave as kids goalkeeping coach

• Jib

May 14, 2019 at 5:00 PM

Anyone ever doubt Mike Dean supported Tranmere ?

• NY Mag

May 14, 2019 at 5:01 PM

Op,

I prefer not to think of players as failures or errors – some don’t work out for a multitude of different reasons.
    Muto, by his own admission hasn’t had the season he would of liked…let’s hope he rolls his sleeves up and works even harder for next season.

• RobLeenio

May 14, 2019 at 5:06 PM

Jib, interesting that – I assume he’s moving for new pastures, but where? Possibly Manager / Head Coach of a League One team? Just to add to the ex-NUFC managers the Mackems would have to face if they failed to win the playoffs.

• swemag

May 14, 2019 at 5:09 PM

Rafa is God.

I am not a believer so for me God can do mistakes. It is ok because he delivers.

Had we signed Almiron and Rondon in July last year I think we would have gotten 50+ points and possible a top 8 position in the league.

Had we signed Almiron and Rondon in July last year I wonder if Muto would even be here now.

Had we signed Almiron and Rondon in July last year a certain Joselu would probably be in China now with us a good 9 million richer, sorry, 5 million richer after Mike gets his cut.

• Optimistic Panda

May 14, 2019 at 5:10 PM

NY

I agree on writing off players before they’ve had a real chance. Jon Dahl and others haven’t worked out here but done much better elsewhere.

With Muto I suspect carrying a injury then the Asia cup laid waste to any real push for a first team place this season. From what I’ve seen I’d like to see him given a real go, not sure if he’ll fit in the current set up but he deserves a chance.

• swemag

May 14, 2019 at 5:11 PM

You could argue that the 9 million for Joselu would have been lost in the extra money we would have had paid for Almiron, but it would have been worth it as we would have finished higher in the table.

• ronaldo aarons

May 14, 2019 at 5:42 PM

Optimistic
    I’m happy to agree with Alan shearer that our three best players this season were rondon, schar and Perez.

• Optimistic Panda

May 14, 2019 at 5:46 PM

Ronaldo

For me the best players of the season should be the most consistent ALL season not half a season or three quarters.

I couldn’t care less what Shearer thinks as I can think for myself

😉

• ronaldo aarons

May 14, 2019 at 5:49 PM

Murphy is a tricky one, got talent and ability but seemed to struggle with us especially at home. His better performances were away from home, away from expectation somewhat, away from groans at misplaced passes etc. Maybe the shirt is too heavy for him atm.

When he played in that Norwich game, the comeback one, he was outstanding for them. People have attributed the turnaround down to mitro and Gayle up front but a big factor was Murphy was taken off. He killed us that game, especially on the counter, picking up great positions and attacking us. Really stood out.

Unfortunately seems to be the type of player that needs a lot of confidence and somewhat of a free role which he isn’t ever going to get in a Rafa team. Time to move on if we want to progress as a team. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad player.

• ronaldo aarons

May 14, 2019 at 5:51 PM

Optimistic
    We do disagree about Perez, but you made a comment yesterday which I let slide lol. Something along the lines of people who chose Perez don’t know about football.

Watch this and tell me otherwise.

• ronaldo aarons

May 14, 2019 at 5:56 PM

Rafa having reportedly £50m to improve the squad is all well and good, but what does that include? Solely transfer fees? Can he spend it on who he likes and thinks will improve the team?

Past 2 seasons, Charnley has said we had a budget of £120m odd which included sales. We apparently have £11m left over but look back at our spending last 2 seasons. Don’t know how it comes to that much but regardless, don’t expect much difference to what we’ve been seeing.

• Optimistic Panda

May 14, 2019 at 5:57 PM

Ronaldo

What’s running towards the flag prove?

1 swallow doesnt make a summer, just as half a season doesnt make a player!

If he continues next season and starts AND finishes the season like he has over the last 20 games I’ll re assess my thoughts on him, until then I’m sorry but it’s a flash in the pan nothing more.

6 months from 6 years is a poor return and as I’ve said the majority on here wanted him dropped before xmas and stated he only started as he was a Rafa favourite!

• ronaldo aarons

May 14, 2019 at 6:01 PM

Optimistic
    It was a joke as I think you don’t like that celebration.

Again we disagree on Perez. Not going to change and gets boring so don’t want to be going down the same road.

You’ve never really taken on board what I’ve said in the past either so it is pointless.

• Jail for Ashley

May 14, 2019 at 6:04 PM

Munster,
    You’ve got a nerve complaining about people lying and twisting words, where have I said that Murphy was a Churnley buy, I’ve stated numerous times that imo he was bought to show a willingness to compromise, had he of been allowed to buy Townsend the previous January then Murphy wouldn’t have been necessary. You endlessly complain that the ‘Murphy money’ could have been spent on Lucas Perez knowing full well that the club don’t operate a policy that dictates if 11M is there for one player it is necessarily available for another, hence 22M was available for Plea but then not available for Rondon, if it’s because you don’t know this then you’re not paying attention and if you do know but choose to ignore it to suit your agenda then you’re even sneakier than I thought. You also keep referencing that lanky bloke from Denmark and a bullet dodged, you use this as another stick to beat the manager with regarding signings, you simply don’t know how he would have fared under Rafa’s guidance. just because he had a poor WC, you didn’t stop harping on about how wrong the manager was about Mitro and how it would bite him on the ar$e, what happened there. The manager can live and die by his signings when we are run like a proper football club and he is responsible for all personnel.