It’s Been Really Hard Luck For This Irish International

Ciaran Clark joined the Magpies in the Championship in August of 2016 from the similarly afflicted Aston Villa.

Though he was part of a corrosive Villa side which at times displayed an awful lack of professionalism, the Irish international seemed to give his all when on the pitch.

His signing was thus welcomed by most Newcastle supporters

Ciaran Clark proved to be a terrific acquisition as the team prevailed in their promotion attempt. He made 38 appearances in the Championship and ended up as the club’s player of the season.

Ciaran Clark – a terrific acquisition for Newcastle

The following two seasons in the top-flight have been unfortunate for the defender. A mix of new signings at his position and a ball distributor coming in at keeper have resulted in fewer chances to play.

In the 2017-2018 season, Clark had some opportunities early on. He made 21 total appearances before February as Newcastle struggled for consistency back in the Premier League.

It is revealing that not one of those appearances came once Martin Dubravka claimed the keeper position with that scintillating debut against Man United.

Rafa Benitez apparently preferring the more technically sound Florian Lejeune as an outlet for Dubravka from that game forward.

Ciaran Clark would not play another minute that season.

This season Clark has found it even harder to get into the team with stellar signings Fabian Schar and Federico Fernandez both being ahead of Clark.

With only 14 appearances this season and only one since mid-December, we have wonder if Newcastle will try to offload the 29-year-old this summer.

Though he has been the consummate professional and did get on the score sheet three times, his career may be stagnating at Newcastle.

He remains good cover and if Newcastle keeps with a back three next season and that will be positive.

Barring significant injuries to key defenders though, he will find it hard to get on the pitch next season as well.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 15, 2019 at 5:49 PM

I like Clark especially in a back 3 he looks more comfortable offers goal threat and if he is happy to be part of the squad why the desperation to get rid?! We have much bigger fish to fry than having to buy another centre back!

• The next Mike Williamson

May 15, 2019 at 5:57 PM

LCBP
    He’s behind Schar, Lejuenes, Lascelles, Fernandez, and now Dummet. I can’t imagine he’s happy with that. With Rafa’s record of finding exceptional defenders I would sell him and I’m sure we’ll find another gem for £5-6m.

• simon376

May 15, 2019 at 5:57 PM

Thanks for all the hardwork Martoon

As for Clark, think he an ideal person as a squad player. If he plays and over a couple of positions, doesn’t let you down and puts the ball in the back of the net. Yeah we may have better but as I said great lad to come off the bench.

Looking forward to Charlton on Friday, I stupidly turned down the offer for a return to Wembley for the playoff final the day before my first trip to Wembley for the FAA cup against Arsenal. If Charlton get there this time, I’ve got to go. Already been told I’ve got to support them when I got a call last Saturday

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 15, 2019 at 6:02 PM

Just because someone isn’t playing a lot doesn’t mean we should be looking to sell them that’s Ashley’s brain washing tactics!! Need a squad to compete over a season!

All it takes is Lejuene to not recover for ages and Dummett to get injured again and Clark is right back into the frame he may quite enjoy it at Newcastle as well!

• Jail for Ashley

May 15, 2019 at 6:11 PM

Cheers Martoon,
    About all I got right was the points and I even got that wrong, although I wasn’t too far out with top scorer and goals, I should have been automatically disqualified for suggesting Kenedy would be player of the season.
    On Clarke, done a great job but it’s time to move on, I’m all for competition for place but four CB’s is enough for any team, we need two quality FB’s and then Dummet can also cover CB, over to you Mikey.

• Jail for Ashley

May 15, 2019 at 6:13 PM

Looking at Ed’s poll I’m surprised Ritchie didn’t get more of the vote, I thought he had an excellent season.

• Jib

May 15, 2019 at 6:18 PM

“Jail for Ashley
    Cheers Martoon,
    About all I got right was the points and I even got that wrong”

There’s a job waiting for you working in Trumps PR department

• IrishRob

May 15, 2019 at 6:19 PM

Jail you weren’t the only one to not forsee Kennedy sh*ttin da bed tbf. A lot of us thought he would have went on to have his best season yet. Wasn’t to be.

• Ron Knee

May 15, 2019 at 6:49 PM

Q. When would you expect movement on the Rafa contract? Surely the longer it drags out the less likely he will stay?

A. I think we’ll see something relatively quickly and I’d be surprised if we go into the middle of next week without a resolution. (Chronic)