web analytics

Newcastle Monitoring French International Midfielder

There have been reports over the past few days claiming that Newcastle have been watching out of favor Chelsea midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko, who is on loan at AC Milan.

Tiemoue Bakayoko – Could be available this summer

Calcio Mercato are now reporting that AC Milan are unlikely to take up their option to buy the French international. That option is reported to be about £31M.

Bakayoko joined Chelsea in the 2017 summer transfer window from Monaco for £36M. As we recall, he had a rough time at Chelsea. There were games where he just seemed lost and had issues adapting to Antonio Conte’s system.

He did make 24 starts in the Premier League as well as 4 in the Champions League.  Though, after a preseason under new manager Maurizio Sarri, Bakayoko was sent to AC Milan on loan.

The defensive midfielder has fared much better on the pitch in
Serie A. He has been ever-present for AC Milan making over 40 appearances in total.

However as the Calcio Mercato report indicated, he had some personal issues lately in Italy. Though that may have all arisen from him suffering racial abuse.  As an article in Transfermarkt from February shows he was quite happy and hopeful prior to the abuse at Lazio.

Recently he also reportedly had a confrontation with manager Gennaro Gattuso, who we remember as quite the battler himself.

It remains to be seen if Newcastle are really interested in the French midfielder. His career is at a crossroads and he probably will not feature in Sarri’s plans next season at Chelsea.

We believe Rafa and the Geordie fans could definitely get the best out of this player. His current wages are close to £100K per week which could be an issue and we would expect his fee to be in the £20-30M range.

This one is very interesting as he fits the mold at only 24 years old with room to improve. However, his wages and fee could be an issue.

• lesh

May 15, 2019 at 1:33 PM

RobLeeenio

You commented about Chris Coleman having players sold from under him – when did Ashley buy Hebei China Fortune?

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 15, 2019 at 1:37 PM

@Ronaldo Aarons

I too would like us to bring Gayle back and also for us to get Hurtado with Rondon that would be our striker choices sorted for a while!

I know before everyone was shouting for Mitro and Gayle to play together but you could actually see Rondon and Gayle playing together in a Rafa team as both offer the necessary work rate needed in a Rafa system!

Also we are going to need to think about our homegrown quota this season if we are getting rid of the likes of Darlow etc then we need to be replacing them with English players who are more expensive!

• lesh

May 15, 2019 at 1:41 PM

Tsunki

In the context of that awful and axed Jeremy Kyle show, you referred to the ‘endless conveyor belt of individuals who have not been educated sufficiently to run their own lives with an acceptable level of competence’.

Mmmmm, a tad sweeping but I’d guess that a very high proportion of said people would be Brexit Party voters! Ideal Farage supporters I’d venture to suggest.

That’s put the cat among the pigeons…… And

Howay Ashley, show some sense and get Rafa signed up, pronto.

• martoon

May 15, 2019 at 1:44 PM

Mister Tuff May 15, 2019 at 1:21 PM Comment #40

“…………and one or two boring self appointed pompous popinjays”

Hmmm – I think you may be looking in a mirror 😉

• lesh

May 15, 2019 at 1:45 PM

DubaiMicky

Kyle’s still appearing on his Radio 2 show…… At least he was yesterday.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 15, 2019 at 1:46 PM

Could we get Bakayoko on loan from Chelsea?

Diame leaving and Bakayoko coming in here would be a major improvement to our midfield straight away he didn’t have a great time at Chelsea but I think under Rafa he would be quality!

• Lindisfarne

May 15, 2019 at 1:48 PM

Which would WBA prefer, £12m straight up or £3m a year over 5 years?

• RobLeenio

May 15, 2019 at 1:49 PM

I love some of the language folk use on here. I’ve been called a ‘lickspittle’ before, now Mister Tuff throws in ‘popinjay’ (not necessarily at me, though it could have been, I know).

Do people use the Collins Gem Dictionary of Victorian insults?

I guess it’s more reliable than Twitter.

No offence meant, just makes me chuckle

• Lindisfarne

May 15, 2019 at 1:51 PM

Bakayoko was a tidy and exciting player at Monaco, his age perhaps made him struggle with the demands at Chelsea but I reckon he would be a good addition to NUFC…..oh, hang on!?!

• Mister Tuff

May 15, 2019 at 1:52 PM

martoon – that is not being very friendly. I sought to give a general categorisation of blog types and desisted the temptation to name person within those categories.

Viewing in the mirror I see you looking over my shoulder.
    I think you need the polygraph examination as well.

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 15, 2019 at 1:52 PM

I don’t think Gayle is a good enough footballer to play in a Rafa coached EPL side. Can finish, can run in behind, can press, but can’t win headers, hold the ball up, link up play, create sufficiently well. He was bought to score the goals to bring us back up. That’s what he’s good at, but you need more than that at the higher level.

• toonincheek

May 15, 2019 at 1:53 PM

lesh –

Take ANY group in society and you will find
    that a high proportion are Brexit supporters.

• toonincheek

May 15, 2019 at 1:54 PM

(excluding MPs!)

• Mister Tuff

May 15, 2019 at 1:55 PM

Bounders and cads – lot of ’em on here.

• martoon

May 15, 2019 at 1:59 PM

Tuff @50 – I was only teasing but I have to say, like Rob, I was impressed with your use of the word ‘popinjay’

• lochinvar

May 15, 2019 at 1:59 PM

Jeremy Kyle is one of ITV’s biggest assets and they’ve already said he will work on other projects.
    Just a pity that we’re going to miss seeing the one off special edition with Mike Ashley.
    That would have been interesting.

Tragic outcome from the programme which was reminiscent of 1970’s horror films, a genre best forgotten.
    He’ll probably get a quiz show.

• Mister Tuff

May 15, 2019 at 2:05 PM

Rob/Martoon – I do not think it is necessarily Victorian expressions but merely those days when the gentleman (like myself) sorted out the local oafs and ruffians ( Jib et al).

I will again illustrate my point by leaving my card which depicts nicely the point I’m trying to make.

• Mister Tuff

May 15, 2019 at 2:07 PM

Obviously not to be confused with the types of thrashings that Jib partakes in.

• RobLeenio

May 15, 2019 at 2:13 PM

“lesh –

Take ANY group in society and you will find
    that a high proportion are Brexit supporters”

How about Scots? Londoners? Those with a decent grasp of macro economics? Those whose lives depend on cross-channel trade? Folk living in Gibraltar?

#NUFC

• Lindisfarne

May 15, 2019 at 2:15 PM

Beginning of the season review v end of season summary in the Guardian:
    Newcastle United: predicted 13th, finished 13th
    What we said: “Rafa Benítez is frustrated that he has not been allowed the players he wants and that is unlikely to change as he enters the final 12 months of his contract and Mike Ashley remains in charge”

What happened: Benítez stuck around, Ashley stuck around and Newcastle stuck around in the Premier League.

#####

You might think it will be more of the same next season, but that will not satisfy Rafa or would necessitate a big con on the part of the owner. You would hope that he could conclude that by comprising a little, Rafa would achieve a hell of a lot more and we all benefit.

• Jib

May 15, 2019 at 2:18 PM

Mr Tuff
    Folk leave their granddaughter with you !!!!
    Are they mad ?

• RobLeenio

May 15, 2019 at 2:25 PM

Aye, Mister Tuff, there are plenty church bells on here, one or two vazey ratbags too.

However, plenty of Darbs, Hoydens and Oysters too…

• Just a fan

May 15, 2019 at 2:51 PM

Mr tuff.the lord of the manor.
    Don’t forget to doff your cap when he passes in his coach or you may get a good thrashing.

• TheJimBelow

May 15, 2019 at 2:53 PM

I’ve always said this Bakayoko fella has possibly the best name to say in the Geordie accent 😀