web analytics

Disaster Scenario Possible – Concerns Rafa May Leave Newcastle When Contact Runs Out

The Sun are reporting today that Lee Charnley was surprised by Rafa Benitez’ visit to the Benton training ground on Monday and that he wasn’t expecting the manager.

There is a contract on the table for Rafa to sign, but the news has been the Spaniard has been unable to make much progress in getting owner Mike Ashley to give him the assurances he wants – to stay on at Newcastle.

Ashley seems to want to continue running Newcastle with a tight financial fist.

It has never brought success to Newcastle for 12 years and never will for that matter.

Rafa Benitez – 18 days left on his contract – now Newcastle suddenly worried

Rafa talked to Lee at the training grounds briefly at the beginning of the week but gave the Managing Director no hint on whether he would sign his new deal.

Now the Sun is reporting the (incompetent) Newcastle hierarchy are increasingly concerned that nothing will happen and Rafa will simply see out his contract at the club through the end of this month.

Then he will become a free agent.

With only 18 days left to go in Rafa’s contract isn’t a bit late to think he may just be seeing out his contract?

And in their wisdom, Ashley and Charnley have put all their eggs in one basket, and if Rafa doesn’t stay at Newcastle, they have nobody lined up to take over.

They have no plan B.

If this was a proper business – and had gone public – then  Mike Ashley could have been fired a long time ago because of the gross incompetence he shows in the way he has run the club.

But Rafa Benitez is not going to sign any deal with Mike Ashley until he knows what’s happening with the proposed takeover.

We would be stunned if it’s true, as is being reported in the local press, that Rafa has not spoken with Sheikh Khaled.

That seems like a natural thing to do, and maybe the pact between the new owner and Rafa is to wait, and they will give him a new contract once the takeover is complete.

But the big problem with that plan is that we are already losing some of our top targets to other clubs in the ongoing summer transfer window.

Other clubs are buying players while Newcastle are in a complete deadlock – and not for the first time with Mike Ashley in charge.

We suppose the disaster scenario could happen – after all, Mike Ashley is still running the club.

The disaster scenario is that Rafa doesn’t sign the new deal and Mike Ashley shifts the goals posts, so Sheikh Khaled doesn’t end up buying the club after all.

And Ashley once again remains the owner.

We have realized over the 12 years we have run this blog that anything is possible when you have somebody like Ashley running this club.

• RobLeenio

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:02 PM

Tony “Robleenio. I even misspelled your name” – yep, twice, in two different ways, in the same post.

😀

Not going to hold it against you fella

• magscar

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:02 PM

MagP@4

Never thought of that – must just be bad luck then

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:03 PM

Other times I think everybody will agree with me, like about Ryder. But maybe that is as assumption I shouldn’t make.

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:05 PM

Lesh: I am not trying to wind anybody up. Except, perhaps the Frog.

• Imzky

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:08 PM

I’m trying to keep myself busy or else I’m feeling the drag of this takeover. End of this month can’t come quick enough!

• Mag :P

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:10 PM

Rob mate.

There isn’t much to discuss at the moment.

I’m happy to answer questions of those who use this blog.

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:11 PM

Also Lesh: I probably have too much time on my hands at the minute. Quit my job a couple of weeks ago so I am on here more than I probably should be for my mental health with the current state of the club.

• Sheik-en but not stirred

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:12 PM

Just thought I’d check in before going to sleep here in Australia….

Jabba f’ed off yet???

Nope??

Ok lads and lasses play nicely and I hope when I wake up I have good news!!!

• Asi Fish

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:13 PM

I hate soap operas – the unbelievable doom & gloom story lines with even worse twists that do not resemble normality especially with the badly written characters and dialog.

How ironic i have dedicated so much time and effort to the NUFC soap opera under MA…….FML.

I hope the NUFC soap opera is in it’s final episode but somehow expect MA to ruin it……please let me be wrong.

Fingers crossed, eyes shut tight whilst whispering “there is a sheikhover, there is a sheikhover, there is a sheikhover…”

• magscar

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:16 PM

Chancel@36

I posted not long afer story broke that the true source was important because if it was PL as some poster had claimed then story has a different compiexion than if from BZG or directly prompted by them.

If it was PL then at least “Owners and Directors “test must be true or what else would there have been to leak? and of course haven’t club said information wa sccurate but no bid received.

I can’t understand why journalist haven’t run with this angle of who leaked and why?

Then again would take some active journalism instead of waiting by phone for someone to approach with saelable info or just making 2 and 2 into 5 on a slow day

If this was one of “big” clubs I suspect there might be more digging going on.

Patience lads

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:17 PM

Asi Fish: it will probably end this week only for Mike Ashley (Bobby Ewing) to turn up in your shower and say it was all a dream. Ashley in your shower? Now there’s a scary image!

• GeordieinOhio

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:18 PM

GOOD MORNING ALL!!!

Asi…..I stopped reading any tabloid ….I now get my legit info from the Beehive on the takeover, if the wives know nowt, I go to the salybash!!!

• magscar

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:19 PM

Mag;P

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:10 PM

Rob mate.

There isn’t much to discuss at the moment.

I’m happy to answer questions of those who use this blog.

…………………….

I think you will find that the only current answer is “No Comment” 🙂

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:20 PM

Plus Lesh: you seem to have something against me. I don’t know what, but I would prefer it if you don’t talk to me any more.

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:22 PM

I will ignore you LESH from now on and I hope you do the same for me. Much better that way.

• MaximusToon

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:30 PM

This is all just a waiting game. NDA’s or not, we have an owner who only communicates when he is in full control and Penfold won’t wipe his butt without Fatman giving it the OK. We are left with lazy journos and opinions from every direction. Still think if nothing has happened by 30th June its all not going to happen, hope I’m wrong and there will be a big reveal in the next week or so

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:34 PM

I only came on here about a week ago after years of reading and all this Lesh guy has done is try to provoke me into a fight. Nobody else probably even noticed but I did because his questions were to me. I have no idea what his problem is but he can keep it to himself.

That’s me done on commenting on a sad little man.

• chancel be a fine thing

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:39 PM

Nezza,
    Yes the heads of terms with price has been agreed, but this is just a rough outline of the sale. All the finer details of the deal have yet to be signed off. This may include such things as SD advertising, the club shop and who knows what else. Until a few weeks ago, I’d never heard of ‘heads of terms’, so I am no expert, but from what I’ve read this document is a few pages, whereas the final contract is 10s or more pages. So much would need ironing out.

• martoon

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:40 PM

Tony Baloney – for what it’s worth I agree with you about Lee Ryder. How the heck he is a reporter I don’t know – he is practically illiterate, never seems to have the inside track of what is going on at nufc and if you can bear to watch his video posts they are dreadful. At this time he should be digging hard for info, using his contacts etc. but he just seems to do the same as us – search for rumours on social media and report them as fact!

• Sir Braveheart

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:43 PM

Out of curiosity, when was the last summer transfer window where we bought a player in June? It feels like every summer we’re among the last to do business, but that can’t be true. Surely I’m just not remembering things accurately?

Anyone know?

• MaximusToon

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:44 PM

Martoon, Tony B -Also If you challenge him on twitter that his story is either clickbait or has no info, he argues back like a 7 year old

• martoon

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:45 PM

chancel @58 – I think you’re right there probably is a lot of negotiating to do because as mentioned on here before Ashley has the catering rights, club shop, trademark rights to the club logos and of course the SD advertising – all this has to be wrestled from his sticky hands!

• Asi Fish

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:45 PM

GeordieinOhio – morning 🙂
    Finger on the pulse as usual – nothing gets past those wives in the ron hills and high heels lol.

I think i will start hanging around the NAAFI to see what the word on the street is……some of the Americans must know something!!!

• martoon

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:47 PM

MaximusToon @61 – or he blocks you if you get the better of him 😀

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:49 PM

Martoon: Ryder only writes extended tweets now. I have never listened to any of the podcasts he does because I know what would happen. There are many tall buildings in Chicago. The Sears Tower is 1,500 feet high and I would not want the city workers to scrape me off the pavement after I had to listen to Wor Lee.

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:50 PM

Oh. And one more thing Lesh. If you want to be the alpha dog then go in your back garden and urinate on your shed.

• Asi Fish

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:51 PM

Tony – thanks for that image of the fat man waiting for me in the shower ha ha.

I did have a dream the other day that this was all a smoke screen for them buying Spurs.

Wonder what tonights dream / nighmare will be now – MA in a Psycho shower scene? Chumley in a Scum greenhouse scenario? Roy Hodgeson playing Dot Cotten with John Carver as Nasty Nick……?

Need the sheikhover dream to become a reality now!!!

• RobLeenio

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:52 PM

Chancel you’re right about the heads of terms being a short document but I imagine that it also constitutes the minimum requirement for the FA to see.

There’s nothing to stop the full agreement being drawn up and left on a desk somewhere ready to be signed and exchanged as soon as the FA / PL sign off on the directors

In fact, given the complexity of the negotiation, I would be amazed if they would be able to agree a heads of terms without first agreeing the value of all the contacts etc.

I think the negotiations are further along than people think.

• toon kk

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:52 PM

I wish everyone would take a chill pill.
    We’ll find out in due course.
    SJP will still be full what ever happens and we’ll be in the Premier league next season.

• Asi Fish

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:57 PM

RobLeenio – hope you are right about the progress of the negotiations.

toon kk – trying to chill but there have been so many false dawns under MA that the longer it drags on the more worry creeps in.

Hoping when we move back to the North East MA will be a distant memory…….and the SJP FM Team are recruiting lol.

HWTL

Jun 12, 2019 at 4:03 PM

ToonKK: it has got to the point where nobody knows what is going on anymore. It is almost like the Shearer situation where we heard nothing for 6 weeks. Rafa says nowt. We rely on The Sun for news FFS.

I have supported NUFC for over 40 years and some on here have done the same for 50 or 60. We’re sat here twiddling our thumbs waiting for a Fat C@ckerney Tw@t to tell us about OUR club.

Frustrated, YES!!!

Take a chill pill? No.

Jun 12, 2019 at 4:05 PM

Hiya Lesh.

• Just a fan

Jun 12, 2019 at 4:07 PM

Be careful Tony baloney lesh will say you are jib.

• Lindisfarne

Jun 12, 2019 at 4:12 PM

What if???

I can understand why Rafa will not sign the present deal that Ashley is offering, but what if the supposed sale of the club does not go through before the end of the month?

After all, the supposed deal could still not be completed, which will justify Rafa not signing and then the club will be managerless and pretty much ownerless. I would hope that Ashley knows it is imperative that the situation at the club is resolved within the next two weeks.

Jun 12, 2019 at 4:13 PM

Jib writes in a very distinctive way “Just a fan”. He corrects people. He is fluent in 17 languages including Klingon. He gets mad at people and insults them…

I am not Jib. (or Jane. Jane IS Jib).

But he is also pretty funny sometimes.

• The Sheikh'sMate

Jun 12, 2019 at 4:14 PM

Rafa’s doing his office up? B&Qs got a canny sale on like… and I hope he goes to Frank’s… I love carpets. me

• magpie6699

Jun 12, 2019 at 4:15 PM

Daft question, but if Rafa refuses to sign up with CharnAsh and leaves on 30th June, but the club is sold AFTER that, I presume he could still be approached / signed up by new owners?

• RobLeenio

Jun 12, 2019 at 4:15 PM

Asi Fish “RobLeenio – hope you are right about the progress of the negotiations.”

I think I must be. How can you agree terms, as the BZG have said they have, and have both parties sign off on it, without knowing what you’re buying or selling?

It’s like me buying a house off plan but not knowing whether or not the purchase price includes a kitchen, bathroom, garage, land, light switches etc. I would want a full schedule of sale before I signed off on a purchase price.

I imagine if the FA / PL need to see the Heads of Terms and that document includes a fixed purchase price, then that purchase price cannot change without having the FA / PL sign it off again.

It just doesn’t make sense that the negotiations are still to be completed. It simply wouldn’t be a sensible way to do business.

• chancel be a fine thing

Jun 12, 2019 at 4:19 PM

Magscar,
    I remember hearting it! The media reaction seemed to say it was BZG putting pressure on Ashley and others were pushing the Ashley never negotiates in public lie (incredulous laughy face). Which suggests to me it was Ashley. It certainly had the effect of taking the heat out of the Rafa situation, and allows Ashley an excuse to do nothing re signings etc, until it is sorted. Also if there are other potential buyers in the background, it gives them a ‘hurry up’ and an offer to beat.

• chancel be a fine thing

Jun 12, 2019 at 4:23 PM

Rob,
    I would hope the same. And my best hope is that it’s all been agreed and we are waiting on transfer deals to be agreed before the announcement. So the selling clubs don’t start asking for more. A long shot I know.