web analytics

Report – Newcastle To Make Official Approach For Steve Bruce

The Sun are reporting that Newcastle are soon to make an official approach for Sheffield Wednesday manager Steve Bruce.

David Coverdale writes the following:

SunSport understands the Geordie is now the Toon’s top target to replace Rafa Benitez.

And they are willing to pay the compensation to get Bruce out of Hillsborough, thought to be no more than £1million.

This would be the first time that Mike Ashley would pay compensation for a manager. Though the club did try very hard to lure Steve McClaren from Derby when Alan Pardew left for Crystal Palace in 2014.

If Ashley really wants Steve Bruce, he may be willing to part with £1m for him. Newcastle reportedly have £80m available for transfers so there is money available. He is just generally loathe to spending it.

It was just reported earlier that Steve Bruce had no knowledge of any interest from Newcastle other than with his odds shortening. The Sheffield Star had reported Bruce saying the following:

“God only knows what happened on Tuesday afternoon. There seemed to be an upsurge (in the betting) from somewhere.

“John Terry was favourite (for the job) yesterday. It was Mikel Arteta the day before so who knows.

“As far as I am concerned, I am here, I am going home tomorrow and looking forward to walking the dog!”

The Chronicle’s Lee Ryder followed up on the reporting from Sheffield with the following confirmation.

All signs are pointing to a manager like Bruce being offered the position. Now whether he takes it now is another question.

Steve Bruce– I said it was news to me. I never said I wouldn’t be interested

Yesterday it was also reported that Newcastle were looking for someone with working knowledge of the Premier League which seemed to rule out some of the younger more experienced candidates.

Bruce, being a boyhood Toon fan, will definitely want the job however he does owe some loyalty to Sheffield Wednesday. So it is not a given that he will take the job. He has ruled himself out in the past.

When Alan Pardew bolted for Crystal Palace, Bruce was managing Hull City and ruled himself out of contention for new vacancy. He said the following in December 2014:

“People know that I am from Newcastle, I was a Newcastle supporter as a boy and it has been regurgitated since I was a 22-year-old playing for Norwich and Gillingham.

“For that obvious reason every time I am linked with them. It’s very flattering as I’m a Geordie but that’s it.

“I have a job to do here and it would be wrong for me to think of anything else other than get this club out of the position we are in and that’s all I am focused on.

“It would be wrong for the speculation to keep carrying on for the club, for the supporters, for the players. I am determined to see this through and make sure we stay in the Premier League and build on the good work we have done in the last two hand a half years.

“I have got a job to do here. It would be very difficult for us to uproot and I don’t think that would be fair.”

Hull City would later be relegated that season with Newcastle surviving on the final day. Steve will be very tempted to take the job. Even though he left two jobs early in his career after only a few months at them, he was just starting out in his career.

This one will get very interesting but all signs are pointing to an approach but an acceptance is still not a certainty by any means.

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:45 PM

Lord help us! This club is finished. No takeover, no strikers, no midfield, no wingers, nowhere near good enough manager and an absolute lunatic of an owner that never Fcuks Off!

• Westmidstoon

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:48 PM

no self respecting manager in their right mind would work for the rotund one………………………….welcome aboard Steve Bruce. sad sad times!!!

• Jib

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:49 PM

JP
    Did you go to St Josephs ?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:49 PM

I’m really looking forward to next season, not! 🙁

• Jib

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:50 PM

Jeepers
    India 71 for 5

• optimistic prime

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:50 PM

Manure would be his dream job, if he had any desire to manage Nufc he wouldn’t have went to them down the road.

To say hes a toon fan and its his dream job is utter shite.

• ToonRich

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:51 PM

The FA/League need to apply some pressure to MA. Either run the club professionally or be removed for being an unfit absent owner!

Surely they can see that they are struggling to appoint a new manager, cant be reflecting well on them; allowing this shambles to play out in their domain!!

• corkypants

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:52 PM

Can’t believe how anybody would see this as a good appointment!!!!

One of my friends is a villa fan I went to watch them a couple of times while visiting him I remember sitting there thinking by god this is shocking I’m so glad we have Rafa ? ? ?

• droppy in Wallsend

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:53 PM

Any of those planes carrying cargo holds full of sewage to dump on SJP, it’s about the only thing Tapeworm has left to do to make it any worse.

One long running sick joke.

SSN have just done piece asking what is going on at Manure? Why because they aren’t spending £100m per week.

About us……………nothing.

• G

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:53 PM

They’ll be celebrating on the blue/white half of Sheffield tonight.

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:54 PM

HWA just doesn’t get it does he, when was Rafa asking for Fatty to invest his own money.

• ToonRich

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:55 PM

Corky, I can’t believe we’re wasting time and energy on here regarding a new manager…I thought we all wanted MA out and then think about some high calibre appointment!!!

• Shoulders knees

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:56 PM

Just awaiting the start of the death knell for our Club,
    Never have I been less interested in the start of preseason . Sorry Guys.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:01 PM

JfA

Well if the club generating £50m profit wasn’t good enough then the logical extension is he wanted external funds to be put in, to hasten up the chance for progress.

From last thread to somebody who suggested our squad is on par with what Bruce had at Sunderland and that he is just another puppet Pardew.

Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:51 PM

Yeah sure Bruce had such quality players at Sunderland than he would here. O’Shea really was as good as Lascelles. McShane really was as good as Lejeune. Cattermole as good as Shelvey. Seb Larsson was Almiron’s equivalent. Of course we need additions but he wouldn’t be joining if we weren’t planning to do so.

Like Pardew? For one I’ve heard the words “it was my fault” out of Bruce’s mouth. Two, he left Hull on principle of not been backed in the transfer market and wasn’t shy in making it known his issues with the owners afterwards. Three, he isn’t a preening git.

You have to give him a chance. By all means boycott of you think that is for the best, it will have to be sustained and growing to have any effect though, all this talk if a single boycott against Arsenal is laughable to be honest and I’m sure Mash will think the same.

Just don’t direct your anger and hatred at the players and manager because it is totally unwarranted, self-destructive and casts us in a bad light which goes no way to enhancing the chances of enticing potential takeover candidates.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:02 PM

Corkypants

Some of the worst football I’ve seen was under Rafa. We went a full match with 0 shots on target at home just 3 or 4 months ago.

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:03 PM

Jib- I did actually lol Why do you ask?

• hibbit the armchair fan

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:04 PM

Shoulders knees why be sorry most of us feel like that anyway, utter despair.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:05 PM

I’m just playing devil’s advocate and trying to bring some alternative viewpoints, because people become so entrenched and single-minded. It makes for boring reading and doesn’t reflect reality which is far more grey than B&W in most instances.

• corkypants

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:06 PM

ToonRich

We are just Mike Ashleys money maker at the moment he isn’t gunna sell us when he takes so much money from the club, He’s a fat greedy p#*%k but he’s a very good business man and he knows he can carry on rolling us over for millions and millions every year and he gets away with it.

I really hope a Take over is happening but I’m rapidly losing the little faith I had in it happening.

We are his cash cow and we are the easiest money he makes.

• Belfast

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:06 PM

I’d be pretty confident that Steve Bruce has already been sounded out before they made the official approach to Wednesday. I hope the people saying he’ll turn it down are right like, but I can’t see it. He’s definitely indicated he’d be interested in my opinion.

• kimbo

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:06 PM

Steve Bruce is appointed and Rondon / £40M striker is signed would we accept this????????

• hibbit the armchair fan

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:08 PM

Hail Wor Ashley

what type of football would you be expecting from Bruce ???

• Shoulders knees

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:08 PM

Hibbit
    Cheers mate, my Lads so passionate about the Toon and he’s so angry about this mess he is a nightmare to be around,
    Big thank you to our Wife’s, Girlfriends and partners for putting up with us 😉

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:09 PM

Tsunki,
    ”Ashleys managed to taint the manager’s position beyond desirability for anyone credible”
    And that is why I don’t think he’d have been here if he’d kept us up. With the relegation Ashley had no choice but to hand over the reigns to him and besides it didn’t cost him anything, the three year deal was a downside of him Rafa getting us straight back up and that’s why Ashley has tried to force him out since promotion looked certain in the January.
    Had we have stayed up Rafa would have been hailed as a hero but it would have been spun that he wanted CL etc, there is no way Ashley wanted him staying here lifting our expectations. I knew that from the moment Ashley said in an interview that he wanted him to stay.

• newcs

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:09 PM

Please God give us some good news for a change.

• barkel

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:10 PM

Of course he’d be interested, what other current premier league team is going to hire him. He must be pushing 60 and looking towards retirement, he hasn’t exactly been a very successful manager but most managers have the belief that they can do better than the last guy.

IF there is an official approach I’d be shocked if he turned it down

• Mindshaft

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:11 PM

Fits the Charnley mould perfectly, cheap , old school, will do as he’s told, same as

Pardew
    Carver
    Schteeeve
    Kinnear
    Allardyce

The only managers they’ve had to go out and appoint themselves have been woeful, they did’t have to search out Rafa as he approached them.

Very disappointing if this appointment is true, after Rafa and a summer of fakeover thinking we were going to get a new billionaire owner we’re left with the current useless incumbents and a manager suited to the 1980s – … as they say on Dragons Den – And for that reason, I’m oot

• Rob1971

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:11 PM

Hail you say he got Hull to the FA cup final, he also got them relegated too, also got relegated while he was at Birmingham, look what happened after he left Villa, they were struggling under him yet ended up promoted after he left, he is a Mclaren like manager look how that turned out

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:13 PM

I wonder when Rafa will receive the phone call from Churnley awkwardly asking him not to speak to any managers that ring him.

• c-dog

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:13 PM

Sky Sports News understands that Newcastle see Bruce as a safe pair of hands and would get on well with Mike Ashley and the club’s hierarchy.

what a waste of money season tickets are

• MG-Man

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:14 PM

If the rumours about Bruce are true , it just shows what the club thinks about it’s fan base . Months without a word about takeover, still no statement from them , then they appoint a manager . They’re taking everyone for mugs . STAY AWAY

• beefman13

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:15 PM

Mindshaft, MA did not bring in fat Sam, that said, Steve Bruce I will sheik rattle n roll that fcuka, the hiarchy deserve everything they get if they bring that toon traitor in.

• one fine day

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:16 PM

Will be a lot of players calling agents if this is right
    Poor miggy must be wondering wtf he has got himself into ..

• Mindshaft

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:16 PM

Beefman – I know that but he did say it was a mistake getting rid of him !!! 😀

• corkypants

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:16 PM

Hail wor Ashley

I agree sometimes Rafa didn’t play the greatest football sometimes but he is a very very good manager his record speaks for itself!!!

I’m just saying Steve Bruce will be a really bad appointment in my opinion and that we should be aiming higher, saying that though it will be very difficult to find a manager willing to come here.

• magicmac54

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:17 PM

They will be celebrating down the road at Sunderland and saying it wont be long to we will be playing them again in the tyne and wear derby, this is the final straw, the only positvie i can see is this will be the straw that broke the camels back, the geordies wont take this final insult by Ashley, the boycott will now the a total success, and the ground will be almost totally empty for every home match fand not just the Arsenal match, dont forget we are the club, and no club can exist without the fan base, Ashley has just played his last card, and this his last gamble and last insult to our club and amazing fans, enough is enough is enough. HWTL.

• geordietom

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:19 PM

nothing off wor shit f..k owner or anyone at the club . well 2 things cheers Rafa . and a no comment . shows what the Fat twat thinks of us …

now we’ve gone from Arabs to the richest man in england …

dont get me started on Fatty Bruce …

shove bruce where the sun dont shine up your arse fat man … LEAVE WOR CLUB NOW !!!!!!

• c-dog

Gayle
    Bruce
    Colback

• droppy in Wallsend

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:20 PM

SSN poll.

Is Bruce the right man for the job?

No 75%

Their response to this.

Will Bruce’s first game in charge be against Wolves

No mention of the fact that we don’t bloody want him!

• c-dog