web analytics

Report – Sam Allardyce Rejected Newcastle Job Offer Due To Club’s Policies

In what has to be absolutely shocking news if true, the Daily Mail is reporting that Sam Allardyce was offered the Newcastle United manager’s job last week.

This is what Matt Lawton is reporting as an exclusive in the Daily Mail:

Newcastle United offered Sam Allardyce a surprise return as manager last week, Sportsmail can reveal, but the former England boss has rejected the opportunity.

Owner Mike Ashley is understood to have identified the 64-year-old as a replacement for Rafa Benitez, not just because of his track record as a Premier League manager but because he would not cost any money in compensation.

Sources close to the club say Allardyce, who has been out of work since leaving Everton in May last year, was presented with an offer after talks between senior figures at St James’ Park and his representatives last weekend.

But there was an issue over the club’s recruitment policy and a concern that Allardyce would have little if any say over signings. As a consequence talks collapsed and Newcastle now appear focused on recruiting Steve Bruce from Sheffield Wednesday.

We are absolutely astounded at the depths this club has plummeted.

With all due respect to Sam Allardyce, but to fail to secure Rafa Benitez and then go after Sam Allardyce is just beyond belief. To top it off, Ashley couldn’t even get Allardyce to make a return to Newcastle due to his ridiculous conditions.

Sam Allardyce– Wait here. We’re up by one, you’re no longer needed

It is the same old story. What manager would work under these conditions? Rafa Benitez must have really loved the fans to have endured three years of tribulation under this lot.

It’s as if Mike Ashley asked himself who can I hire that would most upset the fans. Next, we’ll be hearing that Alan Pardew was offered a shock return to St James Park. It’s as if he does this on purpose and that is what is most infuriating.

You could also take into consideration the contentious relationship between Rafa and Sam and just imagine Ashley conjuring up a way to get two retributions for the price of one.

Not even Sam Allardyce, who only lasted for just half a season under Ashley in 2007-08, thought he would be a candidate for this position again.

This is what Big Sam had to say to talkSPORT the day after the club announced Rafa’s departure:

“I think we all know the pitfalls of the Newcastle job but you don’t turn it down if it’s offered, if you have any ambition.

“I left Bolton to go to the next level. There has been a lack of real success for many, many years.

“The fans have turned to be more patient – they realise what the club has become.

“It was all about winning a cup competition or Europe when I was there.”

When asked if he thought he would be offered the position, Sam said this:

“I don’t think so. In my time, I was between Freddy Shepherd and Mike taking it. Alan Shearer and Kevin Keegan have gone back and not done as well as expected. It’s all hypothetical – I won’t be offered it.”

Not only did Allardyce not think he would be offered it but he said “you don’t turn it down if it’s offered, if you have any ambition.”

Sam Allardyce, who worked for Ashley, couldn’t even fathom how terrible of a job this has become under this owner. Not until he was face to face with him again.

• Jib

Jul 11, 2019 at 7:55 AM

Mund
    It’s a statutory requirement for companies they have to do
    one every year.
    NUFC is usually in July sometime early July sometimes later

The significance for me is , it is probably evidence of the auditors
    being told there is a resolution to the sale situation.

Now – whether it’s the sale has happened or has failed is anybody’s guess

• MarkBro

Jul 11, 2019 at 7:56 AM

Sam said: “I was very flattered that I was considered but it’s that thing… don’t go back.

“It never got to the type of talks people are suggesting but it wasn’t for me. I politely said ‘no’.

“I never got to talk to Mike (Ashley, owner of the club). My agent contacted me, I had a think about it and a quick look at the situation and thanked them very much but (it’s) not for me.

“Maybe if it was the first time around I would have jumped at it. I appreciate the offer but I was surprised, I’ve not worked for a full season.

“It wasn’t something I thought about for too long.

“I thought it’d be better to make a quick decision for everyone. We’re in pre-season now and they’re back in training.”

• lochinvar

Jul 11, 2019 at 7:56 AM

Sheffield Wednesday manager Steve Bruce has asked the Championship club for permission to speak to Newcastle about becoming their new manager. (Times – subscription required)

The Times -really ? How do they know and no one rise. Bollix x 10.

Dear Sheffield Wednesday,
    How do you say ‘no’ in Yorkshire ?
    ‘Ney lad’

That’s good enough for me.
    #saynotosavesteve

• one fine day

Jul 11, 2019 at 7:57 AM

Diddly
    often think the last days inside st James for ashley will be a bit like downfall (the parodies on you tube are always worth a look )

• MarkBro

Jul 11, 2019 at 7:57 AM

So its confirmed, no takeover if mikes approaching crap managers

Still no communication from the club

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 11, 2019 at 7:57 AM

Charlie,
    I wondered where you’ve been, that is always my biggest fear, I think it would be very damaging to his strategy of being a high street hero and would expose his real plans for the other ailing brands he has bought, it would show him to be greedy and spiteful rather than a very good businessman, would he care, who knows but if he is universally hated as Green is it is not good for your business.
    Bobbybee,
    You have to take solace in the fact that Fat Sam hasn’t turned us down he has turned Mike Ashley down. Newcastle can attract managers like SBR and Rafa Benitez, anybody trying to get a rise out of me will be getting told that they’re getting Mike Ashley and Newcastle United Football Club mixed up, they are two very different entities.

• Mindshaft

Jul 11, 2019 at 7:57 AM

So Allardyce confirms his agent was approached about him taking job and he turned it down – Charnley is lost, apparently he’s looking for Ron Atkinson’s number …

By the way, it’s a pretty poor show people giving Bruce and his son personal abuse online, they’ve done nothing wrong – no wonder other fans and pundits think we’re deluded

• crawfordm

Jul 11, 2019 at 7:59 AM

one fine day – true Ashlie does not care and no one in football authority questions him. Sky will mute the limited vocal protests in order not to offend people !!! Ashlie and his Chump Charnlie will sit in their seats smirking at the taunts, did you see the West Ham owners and directors when the natives kicked off ? They were definitely not smirking. Unfortunately we will have full houses muttering into their pasties.

• Muz

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:00 AM

Funny though. You’ve got Lee Ryder, Keith Downie, Pete Graves and Mark Douglas having a meltdown on Twitter and all backing each other up claiming the vitriol aimed at them and claiming they are the only reliable journalists when it comes to NUFC and not one of them even had a sniff of Alardyce last week. Not one.

I personally think all of it is a wind up before Ashley leaves. The man hates us and he’s got an ally in Fat Sam because he hates us too. Alardyce would jump at the chance to wind us up and he’d be overjoyed if the clubs owner gave him carte blanche to do it.

It also smacks of brinkmanship. He’s trying to force BZG into accepting his terms so he’s trotting out supposed managers as if he’s pulling the plug.

Just keep telling yourself, The night is darkest just before the dawn.

• Diddly

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:00 AM

One fine day. Yes I’ve seen a few of them. Good stuff. Like all dictators he will fall eventually. Quicker the better

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:00 AM

Just looked on the nufc.co.uk website and the latest news from is a flashing headline of renew your season tickets.Nothing about a takeover or the search for a manager and the type of manager they are looking for to take us forward.

• Jib

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:01 AM

Mindshaft
    Caulkin rarely uses twitter for footy related stuff
    Keith Downie has cut right back and Pete Graves
    has hinted he’s just not going to put footy news on
    his any more because of the toxic shit that’s thrown his way.

• c-dog

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:02 AM

The other fans and pundits don’t fully understand the hardship. Get and other pl clubs net spend over the last 12 years and compare it to ours.

• Mund

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:02 AM

Jib

I’ll always have one foot in the I’ll believe it till till I’m told otherwise boat. But I don’t know how to take fat sam saying he was offered the job. Does this say there is no takeover? That it’s all off? Or never was.

I tell you what is a fact these days are getting harder to get through. I can’t help but follow the blog and social media all day just in the hope of good news but in fact me doing this makes me feel worse. I feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. Rinse and repeat.

• CJ

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:03 AM

The famous N9895 has landed in Luton just now 2 hrs later than scheduled.

• TomaKaThor

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:04 AM

Lol so much for theories about Ashley hasnt done anything about season tickets, so he must be selling..its all over, i wont be watching this season, only way we will rid this cancer is several years in lower leages ffs

• Jib

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:05 AM

Mund
    Napoleon said
    An army marches as fast as it’s slowest soldier.

A footy club on twitter is judged by it’s most ignorant
    ill-informed , foul-mouthed fans.

• lochinvar

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:05 AM

Dear Steve,
    Preserve your dignity.
    Respect your Geordie roots.
    Work hard at bringing Sheffield Wednesday back to the Premier League.
    Wave as you pass us by.
    Remember you are the 15th Manager we’ve been linked with so far.
    How does that make you feel, valued ?
    Thank you for the tip you gave my lad when he served your supper one night some years ago at a local pub.

They say that the hardest word to say in business is ‘no’.
    Try it.
    It will make you feel good.
    It won’t do us any harm either.

Remember be in by six as yer tea will be on the table.
    Yorkshire tea.

Love
    The spirit of Sir Bobby.

P.S. If you get an offer from BSG and can prove it’s genuine then it’s ok to reconsider.

• lochinvar

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:07 AM

Do these planes have any flicking passengers ?
    Or is it just the pilots keeping up their flying miles to keep their licences ?

• lochinvar

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:08 AM

BZG even

• c-dog

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:08 AM

If allardichi was offered the job last week what does that mean for BZG Monday announcement through Redding.

We know Ashley is a fraud

But it’s looking like BZG are also

• Jib

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:10 AM

It could be that BSG have no contact with
    managers and a condition of the sale is
    resolve the managerial situation.
    who knows ?

• Jib

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:11 AM

BZG even

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:11 AM

Jail
    I think he is like Trump
    A narcisstic thin skinned liar who wants to be loved and have nice things said about him
    Once he is disliked or things said about him like Trump and Sir Kim Darroch he takes revenge and his revenge is to wind down Newcastle United and still take his money and revenge

• Mund

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:11 AM

Jib

Right you are mate and we haven’t painted ourselves well over these last few weeks, in fact that’s an understatement we have portrayed ourselves as wild animals and for anyone who doesn’t truly understand the situation and sees this!! I can’t imagine what they would think of us.

But people who do understand the situation we are in and have been going through this last decade will sympathise with us and understand we are truly desperate. Still no excuse for how some of the fan base have acted.

• CJ

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:14 AM

Lochinvar
    Charnley’s gone missing so he maybe it’s him setting up a smokescreen. “Don’t worry Mike I’ll fly around and mislead everyone”

• posada

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:15 AM

How hard is it to get a manager.
    Derby had no bother getting Lampard.
    They had no bother getting his replacement Cocu.

We can’t get a decent proper manager as everyone knows we are owned by a nut job.

A nut job who surrounds himself with fellow nut jobs.

• Toon222

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:19 AM

One fine day

Jail had it up the other day, ask him if u see him posting, they wer only £17 too

• Captain AmeriMag

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:20 AM

I think Big Fat Sam’s talking out his Big Fat Arse!!

Clever on his part really, he knows the club won’t comment so he can claim he was approached, say he’s all about looking forward (code for “hello I’m available!”) and boom he’s back to being relevant in the managerial merry go round.

Even if Charnlie came out and rubbished his claim no one would believe him! Well played Large Samuel, well played.

@danishmag I stay optimistic because of the official silence from all parties and the private jet activity from all the relevant destinations.

With flight N9895 landing in Luton this morning and Ashley’s jet landing there yesterday, all the players in the game are together again. Hopefully for the last time.

Today or tomorrow is the Endgame for sure. Either Bruce is appointed or the takeover is announced.

I’m still firmly in the takeover camp and I’ll hold on to that beautiful dream till the very end!!

• Novocastrian66

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:24 AM

If I was Steve Bruce I would pass. He must realise that he will be in a no win situation. He will not get any support from the hierarchy, who will leave him dangling and he will get stick from all quarters while the team struggles. He will also be seen by all Newcastle United supporters as an Ashley apologist.
    This will be true for anyone who ends up being daft enough to take on the job but if Bruce is as fanatical about the Toon as the idle press seem keen to point out, he will have a handle on the situation and realise he will be made out to be a mug.

• hibbit the armchair fan

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:29 AM

jail
    since the 6th July I’ve had 17 ST renewal emails from the club, the latest one this morning at 7-30am

• hibbit the armchair fan

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:33 AM

I firmly believe we’re at the Mexican standoff stage and it really could either way,

• NezzaNUFC

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:34 AM

Takeover is now dead in the water, should of been confirmed last week!

NUAC (Newcastle United Ashley’s Club) are looking for defensive managers just to keep us in the PL and for him to reap the £ every season.

Our best players will be sold on soon, either this window or January, we need to stand together this time, no more I’ll go to the matches to chant MA name bollix.

An empty stadium is the answer, in fact it’s the only answer, not directing at his tacky shops, but at NUFC itself.

Mike is here for the money, we need to hit him there, an empty stadium leads to no coverage due to sky international coverage, less matches for Newcastle shown, less money for Mike.

We succeed in this Mike will sell the club at a discount rate (sorry had to put that in lol)

IF the ground is full on the Arsenal game, I won’t be calling them fans (obviously they enjoy the way we are being run) and I believe those will also be a target by loyalty fans.

Remember the world cup and how businesses and local councils help giant TV to watch the matches? This may need to be brought back in just to show arrogance towards Mike and HIS club (yeah not our club anymore!)

#ashleyout #boycotteverygame #emptystadium