Mark Allison finally finished the 874 miles from John O’Groat’s to Land’s End yesterday. It took Mark 37 days to complete the run.
Mark will be doing a lap of honor at St. James’ Park next Saturday evening – before we take Aston Villa apart. It would be great if you can donate to the St. Benedict’s Hospice – who Mark’s effort is supporting. He’s now over Â£23,000 in contributions – details below on how to contribute.
A fantastic effort by Mark who deserves our support.
An update on a charity run by Mark Allison from John O’ Groats to Land’s End on behalf of St. Benedict’s Hospice. Mark completed his run yesterday over the last 22 miles and finished the 874 miles in only 37 days. That’s an average of nearly 24 miles a day – a fantastic effort.Mark had this new message on his web-site this morning.
“My actual mileage over the last 37 days was 873.7 miles. So the number of miles on the sign isn’t too far off. “
“My original planned route was 868 miles. I must have taken a few wrong turnings along the way.”
“The one wrong turn I know about was last week in Taunton.”
“I got distracted by two bonny lasses in very short skirts holding hands.”
“I missed the A38 turning as a result and it took Rab C ages to find me! I bet that cost me a few extra miles!”
Here’s Mark’s web sitewhere he has a daily log and all kinds of good information about his fabulous effort. If you can contribute to Mark’s efforts please do so at this just giving site
Mark Allison – at the finish line at Land’s End with one of his important support staff – 4 year old son Jack – please see if you can contribute and support Mark’s heroic efforts for charity
Well it turns out that El Hadji Diouf is unsettled at Bolton after being left out of the team for the game against Newcastle on Monday. Diouf did come on in the second half when Bolton reverted back to a 4-3-3 formation and along with Nicholas Anelka were Bolton’s best players. Since he’s played already for Sam and earlier in the summer was open to a move to Newcastle we wonder what the chances are for him to arrive at Newcastle. There may be a better chance of that if we do lose Luque, Dyer and Solano before the end of August. News today that a deal to send Luque to Levante are being finalized today – we’ll see.
El Hadji Diouf – struggling against Newcastle captain Geremi on Saturday =- he looked in excellent form
It appears that Sam Allardyce has not yet completed his squad and he says there is money to buy additional players if the right ones are available. Sam was after two players last week and one is now a no-go but the other is still a possibility. Drago (Ivaca Dragutinovic) from Sevilla was probably one of those Sam was interested in last week. We’re not sure if he’s the one that a no-go right now and we have no idea who the other player may be. We still think we’re short on numbers in the squad.
Sam Allardyce – still after additional players to bring into Newcastle
We’ve resisted reporting on this story but ask the question today – What’s Eating Phil Gartside? Seems that ever since Sam left it’s been a thorn in Gartside’s side and he seems to have continually thrown barbs at Sam. Certainly all claims about Sam playing dull football went out of the window on Saturday as Newcastle looked an excellent side in the first half at the Reebok. There are new reports today that Phil wants to end the truce. We think that’s good – let bygones be bygones.
Phil Gartside and Sam Allardyce– rift between them will be hopefully over soon
The plans that Sam Allardyce and Chris Mort have put in place with the 7 new signings during the summer and other initiatives certainly looked to be working on Saturday. Sam is thankful to the Newcastle chairman for the money he has made available to bring in good players who are getting good wages at Newcastle. It’s the most Sam has ever spent in one summer. Sam talks about that extra quality you can get – and he says again we’re only 40% there. Can’t wait to complete that remaining 60%.
Big Sam (little sam in Background) – good signings in the summer and still only 40% to where he wants to take Newcastle – the other 60% will take time
Finally here’s some funny football quotes – to lighten up the day 😀
“I don’t believe everything Bill tells me about his players. Had they been that good, they’d not only have won the European Cup but the Ryder Cup, the Boat Race and even the Grand National!” – Jock Stein on Bill Shankly
â€œThe worst thing about playing Chelsea is having to listen to Mourinho afterwards. He talks absolute bollocks. He should shut the **** up”. – Edmilson.
“If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.” – Bill Shankly
We always appreciate your comments on our Daily Update. Please keep your comments civil and decent because we have lots of youngsters reading the site – thanks
I have continued over the last two years to have quarterly checkups on my stage 4 prostate cancer. The treatment (hormone injections every 3 months plus Xtandi medication daily) has managed to slow the spread of the cancer.
I am just so pleased that we have now been taken over by rich and ambitious owners and Eddie Howe is now the head coach.
It is as it is.
My cancer was first diagnosed in April, 2011 and it became stage four in late December, 2016
That's when it spread through the bones to several areas of the body.
My treatment has also included radiation therapy and chemotherapy.
I remain in awe of the kind and effective treatment I have received from the Doctors and Nurses.
While stage four prostate cancer is terminal, I hope to be around for a while yet.
Let's also hope Newcastle can shock everybody this coming season with maybe even a top six finish!
That would be terrific.
The following policies should be taken into consideration before commenting:
Personal insults and continually provoking other posters should be avoided
Comments on politics, religion, or controversial topics should be avoided
Do not post streaming links to pirated matches or links to content on controversial topics
Physical threats will lead to a suspension or a ban
Revealing personal information about another poster without permission will result in a ban
Creating alternate accounts will result in an immediate ban of all accounts