Newcastle showed they are becoming an integrated squad because with so many changes from Sunday the players were still able to put in a good performance and get the job done. That will show Sam that things are starting to work.
Claudio Cacapa – excellent game at the back in his first start
- Best player in the first half was Claudio Cacapa who looked so comfortable at the back and read the game superbly. He will be a vital player for Newcastle this season and since he cannot play full back is expected to make the starting eleven on Saturday against Wigan Athletic where a clean sheet will again be vital.
- Jose Enrique looked what he is â€“ a very good player in the making but it will still take a few games to get him fully match fit. There’s no rush to bring Jose in as we have N’Zogbia doing a good job at left back.
- Talking about that man Charles â€“ he had another excellent game and has been a revelation this season. We cannot wait to see a 4-4-2 formation with Milner and N’Zogbia on the wings. There’ll certainly be lots of danger there for the opposing teams. Charles has done very well and apparently credit for this goes to captain Geremi who has taken the young Frenchman under his wing â€“ good for him.
- Michael Owen scored his first goal for 20 months for Newcastle in a competitive game and he is slowly returning to fitness. We have two of the best small strikers in the game in Martins and Owen â€“ and we need to use them wisely this season since both of them can do a job for Newcastle. When Owen was replaced by Oba â€“ Martins scored within 4 minutes just to show he’s still in the picture â€“ that’s just great for the team.
- Nobby Solano, footballer supreme, was steady and classy at right back. He’s one of our most creative players and showed that last night with one or two great touches. Nobby also had a shot just wide. It would appear that Nobby will be staying at Newcastle at least until January. We hope his family situation can be worked out without him having to leave the club.
- Shola Ameobi put a great ball through for Owen’s goal and we shouldn’t forget about him. We still think he can do a good job at Newcastle this season – but he needs games. He also needs goals to force his way into the first team.
- If we can build on this with 3 points on Saturday against Wigan, and we can get Faye and Beye into the club by Friday â€“ things will be buzzing in the town again.
Comments very welcome.