web analytics

Shay Almost 4th In Newcastle Appearances

The official Newcastle United site is reporting today that Shay Given will soon enter the top four of the Newcastle United all-time appearance list.

shay-given-4392.JPG

Shay Given – a great servant for Newcastle United Football Club

Shay is just one appearance behind former Irish left back Alf McMichael, who we remember watching in the 1950s. Ald unfortunately passed away in 2006. Dick Keith and McMichael were the two fullbacks in those days – as fans long in the tooth will remember with Ronnie Simpson behind them in goal. Remember Dick Keith’s sliding tackles?

The very popular Given now has 430 appearances for the club, since signing from Blackburn Rovers in the summer of 1997. Kenny Dalglish, former manager at Blackburn signed him for £1.5M (what a buy!), and Shay is now just 66 appearances short of fellow goalkeeper Jimmy Lawrence’s Newcastle overall record of 496 total appearances. We think Shay has a good chance of going way over 600 appearances for the the club, if he can just keep fit.

In fact two appearances for Shay in our next two games would see him move into fourth place and level with Bill McCracken.

Here’s the top ten in overall appearances for the Newcastle United club:

Player        Years Played   Appearances

1 -  Jimmy Lawrence     1904-22         496
2 -  Frank Hudspeth     1910-29         472
3 -  Frank Clark        1962-75         457
4 -  Bill McCracken     1904-23         432
5 -  Alf McMichael      1949-63         431
6 -  Shay Given         1997-now        430
7 -  David Craig        1962-78         412
8 -  Bobby Mitchell     1949-61         408
9 -  Alan Shearer       1996-2006       404
10 - Jackie Milburn     1946-57         397

Doubtless to say, we are very happy to have Shay Given at the club. As well as doing great things for the club Shay does a lot of charity work in the area, with his wife Jane.

Just an overall great lad to have at Newcastle United.

• Punk Skunk

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:17 PM

Eve, you’re obviously sinead!..Did ya’ actually watch the match?..i’m sorry to say shay was all over the place, believe me, it hurts to say that as i think the guy is a legend also…But, get the rose tinted specs off, he just ain’t doin’ it right now.
    Taylor saved his ass twice in 10 seconds!..Bollox to ‘he shouldn’t have had to deal with kicking with his left foot’ he should be able to kick with either foot, that’s what he’s payed for!..He shouldn’t have kicked it at one of his own players…you’re quicker to stick the boot into our defense. He makes mistakes, tell it like it is, he let 6 in, that’s a shite game in my book, but obviously not yours, strange!..
    …Howay the Lads!..

• Dave Atkinson

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:19 PM

Jimma – stop blaming the defence! Given’s kick killed the game on Saturday stone dead! Anyway, it’s rarely the defence’s fault – it’s those Red donkeys in midfield going AWAOL as usual!

• Eve

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Cleary, I’ve never seen you here before, and last time I checked Sinead hasn’t been on in ages. Well what I’ve seen anyway.
    Now I don’t know why people (ie..Johann) think I’m Sinead, maybe it’s cause we’re both girls. I don’t know, getting really old by the way.
    But I’ve never seen you on here and I’m on a lot. So the fact that you made that assumption makes me think even more that you are Johann.

Please, ya obviously he can kick with both feet but obviously, unless you Oba Martins one foot is going to be a lot stronger.
    Taylor ya was in the right position, he cleared well, but that’s his job, he would have dived for it if Taylor wasn’t standing on the line to clear it..what he gets paid for. He made a load of really good saves in the match. Ya they scored 6. They should have scored 26. Now I did see the game and presuming by your talk Johann I presume you did so you would have seen that most of the goals, 4 of them I think were deflections. He made a mistake ya, but he also made really good saves and saved our asses.

So stop the act Johann it’s getting old.

• Punk Skunk

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:36 PM

How Dave Atkinson, don’t know if you’re agreeing with me, but i’m agreeing with you!..
    …Let’s stop blaming the defense & the second goal did kill us, mostly psychologically ‘cos it was sooo pathetic!..we lost heart from that point,
    especially since the ref had given them the 1st goal from a free kick that should never have been!..Howay the Lads!..

• Punk Skunk

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:46 PM

Well you sound like sinead!..& to be honest mate
    i’m not so sad that i’d go making up new people
    just to agree with, you sound ever so slightly paranoid there!..Lol…Saved our asses from what exactly???????????????????..We got beat 6-0!..
    …Howay the Lads & Lasses!..

• Eve

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:57 PM

Sound like Sinead, how, the way I type, of course.
    He saved us from what would have been a massive bigger embarrassment. Even you’ve to admit that.
    You sound very paranoid as well, and if I’m not mistaken you were the one who accused me of being Sinead first.
    But yet I’ve never seen you post at all, ever. I’ve never seen you on here before and like I said, what I’ve seen, though I could be wrong, Sinead hasn’t posted in a while so how can you possibly think I sound like her??

• Punk Skunk

Jan 14, 2008 at 9:22 PM

If ya’ gan back to comment 35, 2nd line, you’ll see that you brought sinead up!.. i just think it’s a shame you kind find it in ya’ heart to accept shay had a stinker in this game & this season he ain’t been up to his usual brilliant high standard!..To be honest, i couldn’t give a shite if you’ve seen me post here before or not!..

• Eve

Jan 14, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Em, ya and, that has nothing to do with you.
    I’m sorry did you see the game, did you actually see the match or did you just watch the game highlights. Give up Johann.

• Punk Skunk