web analytics

HT: Newcastle 0 Blackburn 0 – Magpies Miss Chances

nufc-crest.png blackburn_crest.png

Newcastle started off this game like a train and pegged Blackburn Rovers back early in the game but they couldn’t make the breakthrough that would be so important.

But Newcastle had good chances through Alan Smith, Damien Duff and Michael Owen and Newcastle should have been ahead at half time, but each of the above layers was guilty of missing gilt edged chances.

After a tremendous start from the Newcastle side, when they were all over Blackburn in the first 10 minutes, but couldn’t get that vital goal which would have given both the team and the crowd a lift.

michaelowendm1707_468×480.jpg

Michael Owen – missed great chance after 35 minutes

But one of the best chances of the half went to captain Michael Owen. After 35min Barton freed Owen with a nice chip and suddenly the captain was one-on-one with Blackburn goalkeeper Brad Friedel. Michael rounded the goalkeeper, but the ball got caught under his feet and his shot was just wide of the post. But Owen had a great chance and really should have scored with the opportunity he had.

Newcastle had a lot of the play in the first half and the only mistakes they are making today is not putting the ball in the net from the chances they have carved out against a good Blackburn Rovers side.

But this game is winnable and Keegan has a number of players like Carroll and N’Zogbia who he can bring on. We would expect these to be brought on after around the hour mark, if things are still all square at that time.

We only need a single goal for the 3 points so hopefully the lads will continue and have some luck and get that ball into the back of the net.

It’s certainly a promising first half from the Newcastle team , who are going all out for the win.

• scott9

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:05 PM

game against birmingham is gonna be a massive one

• steve

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:05 PM

on current form we’re the worst team in the premiership by a mile – Brum, Sunderland and Reading know how top fight to get points where the toon think they are to good to go down – a bit like Leeds and Notts Forest of old
    I can’t see how we can stay up with this bunch, mostly Sams fault for the players he bought but KK must take some blame for continuing to select Smith, Butt, Taylor, Barton.
    At least Roeder would have put some of the kids in, and they might have actually given a f**k

• Gloryhunter

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:05 PM

@greek toon. You aint seen nuttin’ yet. Log in tonight when we’re all p*ssed 🙂

• Michael

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:05 PM

I said it before and will say it again. No tactics/strategy just “get up at em”.

Strategy would allow us to build our game around a main man. We need Goals it is no secret. This said the objective is to build a strategy around a striker as this gives us the greatest probability of getting a goal. Either Martins, Owen, Viduka or Carrol. Keegan does not do tactics as such that is why we cannot score.

That is why a team has one striker who scores 15 to 20 goals a season. The top managers do this, Obviously KEegan is not one.

• Ross

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:06 PM

greektoon you dont know what you’re talking about claiming people arent fans, we all love the club but frustration sets in when your team cant keep a clean sheet nevermind win. and what does that mean? it means bottom 3.

• Outlaw

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:06 PM

This is all Sam ‘shitty’ Alardyce’s fault – Fkn wanka!

• Chicken

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Liverpool (a), Birmingham (a), Fulham (h), Tottenham (a), Reading (h), Porstmouth (a).

That’s the next 6 games.

3 teams who will all expect to give us a good kicking at their places and 3 teams who are fighting for their lives.

I seriously wouldn’t be surprised if we scraped 4 points max from those games.

Relegation is a VERY serious threat now.

• Obafan

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:06 PM

greek toon – shut the f*ck up man. Reality does never lie and reality is:
    1. that we have bad players wo play every game (Smith, Butt, Barton, Taylor, …)
    2. we have a board that lives in the past (about 10 years)
    3. KK has lost his magic and I think that we should have known that in January.

You can go back to those comments; I was not the one who jumped around when KK was appointed. I was afraid and I was more then correct. So I know that i write down very negative comments, but I’m writing reality stuff here like a lot of others do.

• Elliott

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Yeah well said Greek Toon, this lot are a disgrace, maybe if we get relegated we can shed ourselves of this fickle disruptive support.

• iraqi_geordie

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:08 PM

We are fu(ked !!

• toon1978

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Greek toon i myself have spend an absolute fortune in the past to support NUFC and i have done for years, now i canot afford to get into the stadium and i think its a blessing in disguise. 11 games without a win is terrible. £32 FOR A TICKET these days,i wouldnt pay 32 pence.

• yet_another_indian_toon

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:09 PM

The next time KK does a phone-in on radio, someone please ask him why the hell does he keep playing smith and butt! please!

• Outlaw

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Whatever happens… we better be playing in the prem next season!

• Elliott

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:10 PM

Michael, you are an idiot, are you sayng Keegan never built his teams around Cole, Ferdinand, Shearer, Anelka etc before?

He’s been here five minutes how can he build a team in that time?

Please tell me.

• Gilly

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Have to target the ganes against Birmingham, Fulham, Sunderland and Reading then hope we can get a draw somewhere else.

That should give us the points we need, but the way we are going we can’t buy a goal.

• lee

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:12 PM

When i see so many chances created and we still get beaten 1-o i start to wonder if the powers that be have already chiselled newcastle united into their ‘to relegate’ register and there’s nothing anyone can do about it.

• Obafan

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Outlaw – SA was not the right man, okay but KK defo is not the right man. He is just continuing what SA was doing in a more disastrous way. KK needs to step down now and Dennis Wise should take over from now IMO. How long will we stick with this muppet? We need fighting spirit xombined with tactics to keep clean sheets and to make a goal. KK can not deliver any of those necessary things, that is a big fat fact!!!!!

Wise always was a fighter and he will wake up the players IMO…

Something needs to be changed, thi cannot continue!!!

• Outlaw

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:12 PM

I’d rather have Milner upfront than Smith. Kid works more harder.

• ToonKing

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:12 PM

oh god……and i thought Freddy and Roeder were bad……………….

• greek toon

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Obafan, I know, I know!
    In the 80’s I stood in that gallowgate end watching a crap 2nd division team but you know what., I fell in love with this crazy f’cking club. We are going through a bad time lads. WE MUST STICK TOGETHER.

• yet_another_indian_toon

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:15 PM

Most of us will stick together, please dont doubt our commitment. We are just pissed sick of the teams performance and expressing displeasure. It doesnt mean that we will give up on NUFC ever!

• Mad_Magpie

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:15 PM

We didn’t deserve the defeat and we’re certainly in a relegation scrap but spouting off about how s**t we are isn’t going to help.
    Major changes will happen in the summer but until then we have to do with what we have and Keegan knows what he’s doing. If we play like we did today for the rest of the season we’ll stay up, we just didn’t have that luck. Brad Friedel was the difference between the two sides.
    Keep the faith.

• Outlaw

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Obafan,

You’re telling me a man who lept Newcastle outta the second division and got us in the prem is not good enough? You’re telling me a man who nearly won us the league is not good enough? KK can’t do it all in one night. I have faith in him. It’s just up to the players to put some effort in for all the bloody wages they get.

After all, there is only one KK!

• Michael

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:16 PM

We conceded 5 goals against Man United last week, Fulham conceded three.

Keegan cannot Motivate, does not know tactics. If we still Had Big Sam, we would not be this close to the relegation Zone. I now know this as a fact. Keegan is useless. I have been reserved in my comments in the past so as not to offend YOUR Messiah.

He was brought in to turn our football from water to Wine but all he has done is turn it to piss. 10 games to go, get him the hell out and bring in someone serious, anyone would be better I oath.

Keegan is probably going to say he is proud of the players and “Smithie” ran his socks off, We had a clear penalty shout and the decisions did not go our way.

F*** him, go back into retirement.

• Gilly

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Greek Toon, we have all been there mate, but it can’t stop you from saying what you think is wrong…..no matter how hair brained some of the points are

• stantos

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:17 PM

I feel physically sick, I tell you it’s written, we stuff em lose 1 nil and within 30 seconds Reading go 1 up, I’m beginning to think this is some sort of sick joke.

I said it at the time Big sam had to be given time, yes it wasn’t attractive but I’ll tell you something, we wouldn’t be in this f###### mess. We deserve to go down, look at the stats were gone. Can you see us beating reading, scum and the blues away cos I can’t not with the run were on. Just wait till weve let 6 in at anfield this time next week………….. someone pass me the pills !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Yorkie Dave

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Freddy Shepherd, Sam Allardyce, Douglas Hall will all be laughing tonight and it makes me sick! We can not give up we must back them till it is in black and white that we will play championship football next season. I didnt see the game but would like to see the stats. but for Fook sake get oba on from the start for rest of season this guy has bite has fight has the muscle we need and that very special eye for an impossible goal that we need sooooo very much right now. i love our club with all my heart and its killing me to see us in this plight.
    We need to give the kids a chance next weekend to show the “BIG” players what it means to the club to stay up they will fight and push hard for the club. There can be no long term future if we are relegated. we must play simple football, make our own luck. its a case of GROW SOME BALLS guys there shud be no days off until we are safe!!!!

• Obafan

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Outlaw,
    I admire KK for his work IN THE PAST. Really when I watch youtube and I se movies of NUFC from those days, what a team and a manager we had. DEFO agree with you there. But he has lost it I’m afraid that KK made the worst decision by coming back to NUFC. People expected too much (me too), but he just cannot deliver it anymore.

• jeff

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Gutted totally gutted…………..With minutes to go why was derbyshire allowed to be one on one with our goalkeeper,surely at that time in the game we shouldve seen the game out without conceding…Its a disgrace…yes we created alot of chances but to lose like that is unprofessional…Players obviously dying to get the win and not doing their jobs for the 90 minutes….Im gutted and we are going down….face facts…not scoring in a game like that at home is shocking…Come next week after Liverpool game we could be in bottom 3..I still cant get my head round how he was one on one in last minute f**k sake

• greek toon

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:21 PM

I feel so bad. But please don’t start about how Allardyce would have turned things around. He started all this in the first place.

• Outlaw

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Dave, if only you could say that to KK’s face then maybe things would change. I for one I’m depressed now after today. The future isn’t looking bright atm

• subz

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:22 PM

GUTTED!!!! We apparently battered them today! No luck. I don’t agree that today was a must win, we all knew Blackburn are on form, but we should have won. The games against the Scum, Reading, Wigan and Brum are all MASSIVE MUST WIN GAMES NOW.

• stantos

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Toon Toon Toon Toon Toon Toon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NUFC forever !!!!!!! Right…. I’m off to pray, i suggest you all do the same.

• steve

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:26 PM

Obafan – Dennis Wise in charge – are you mad, he’s worse than sh!te and he’d still have the same players.
    The problem is that we didn’t buy anyone in Jan and now we’re playing the price for Sams sh!t buys last summer
    I heard Sam gave Smith a contract that guaranteed him 38 games a season and we can’t get out of it – apparantly Sam thought we would make Europe and he wouldn’t have to use Smith in every game

• Obafan

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Michael – I would love to copy your message (n° 134) cause you are spot on. KK has completely lost it and I don’t want to listen to his comments tonight at MOTD. Oh no we will be the laughing side of the vening once again.

SA (who I wanted out) would have got us 5 or 6 points out of the games which KK was the manger. Count them and we would have been in a far better position in the table. I’m really sad today. WE NEED SOMETHING TO CHANGE BY NEXT WEEK!

• Michael

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:29 PM

Elliot, and to all keegan Anal Kissers. You tell me what has Keegan done?????? just waht has this muppet Done, I hear of this Attacking football, He was there at the right time that was all, conveniently there. He has won nothing, did so poorly with England and walked before being Sacked, Mediocre at man City where HE said “This is the best club Squad he had ever assembled” but what did he do there. Mediocre, in fact poor manager. He does not do tactics, have you ever wondered just what he does on the touch line.

He does not do tactics so he is usless on match day that is why We cannot change a game we play consistently throughout a game consistently poor. Remember with Sam, we could go a goal down but we could come back we did so against Derby to mention one game.

Keegan there is a frequency and consistency of the same Drab.

Keegan has won nothing and will win nothing. this is a game of tactics, if he is there to motivate we may as well get Anthony Robbins the world renowned motivational thinker. He knows nothing like Keegan about tactics.

• stantos

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:29 PM

The problem goes way backbefore Big Sam. He came in saying he needed 5 years and wasn’t given it. I agree that things were horrible under Sam but worse than this????? I’ll tell you something, we may have lost against Utd with Sam but concede 6 and 5, 4 at Villa? No way !!! Not important until you think what if it comes to GD regarding staying up.

• toon4lyf

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:29 PM

i dont think we will get relagated emre back for us next week
    ……………………given…………………
    beye…..faye………..edgar……..enrique
    milner….emre…..barton……nzogbia
    ………….martins…owen………..
    i think we will win 3-2 emre scorin da winner

• toon1978

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:30 PM

GUTTED, DEVASTATED

• Macca

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:32 PM

Deserved better, but you know that’s what happens when you don’t take your chances.
    Very sloppy to concede that late, at this rate Sunderland will hop us.
    The defense was caught on the hop, went one on one with Harper, and now I think that we’re going to be looking back thinking if Owen had scored, if Duff hadn’t missed, if it was Given was there for the one on one (no keeper much better then one on ones then him..but in fairness Harper couldn’t do anything about it, nor should he had to) if this happened, if that happened. Keegan needs to get players, to buy players in the summer but by then it could be well too late.
    I still don’t think we’ll be relegated, I don’t think Reading or Sunderland will be either. But we really can’t afford any more mistakes. If Keegan like some are suggesting goes, leaves, we will be the laughing stock of the Premiership and no one will want to take the job.
    Now is the time for the lads to really stand up and fight because at the moment we are four points off the relegation zone. 4 points from disaster and that’s the reality of it.